Chapter 5 – Village and Answers
132 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

So I have to be careful not to die. Or have an item that revives me… I hope I asked the important questions… although, I did want to know what the last level was, about hidden quests and other things but I have no regrets about my questions. Although I know that completion of the last level is winning the game so my second question was a waste. But, the rest gave me some valuable information.

I looked back at the platform. The black creature was floating a few inches above the ground. Suddenly it opened its mouth.

["Players 1001-10000. You are given numbers according to your performance. The goal/rule of each level will be specified by the administrator. Beat all levels to beat the game. Going to stage one in ten seconds."]

The voice of the creature was so weird, that was my final thought as the countdown finally reached zero and bright light surrounded us. When I opened my eyes I was alone on a small hill type structure overlooking a village, with my mace. 

["Player ‘1313: Megzie’ Complete quests to clear the level."] Spoke the familiar mechanical voice. So was I player number one thousand one hundred and thirteen? Let’s call it thirteen thirteen. Quests? So do NPCs give quests? Or does a guild issue quests? Either way I decided to head to the village. I took a quick look behind me but all I could see were mountains behind me. I carefully made my way down and walked towards the village.

Barely ten or twenty minutes later, I reached the village. Taking a closer look the village housed around twenty to thirty houses and a few other structures and was walled by a wooden fence around five meters in height and without any gaps between them.

I was at the mouth of the village and looked at the only opening I could see in nervousness. Was my weapon even allowed? A few other people were going into the village, but very few were leaving it. I saw a horse cart with stuff also entering the village and a few people with weapons, thankfully. I took a deep breath and walked towards the only guard at the entrance of the village, "Um, Excuse me!"

He looked at me quizzically and then seemed to understand something, "Are you a new player?"

I was shocked but quickly recovered, "Ah, yes. I became one a few minutes ago I think. What should I do?"

He nodded to me and pointed towards a small hut, "Go to that hut and you'll get a brief explanation. Welcome to the starting village of the high rankers." He then continued with his job.

I thanked him and headed to the hut. I saw that the door was opened but knocked anyway, entering only when I heard a female voice telling me to enter.

She gave me a smile and told me to sit down, "Quite polite, huh. Well, better polite than rude. My name is Margaret. You can call me Mary. Welcome to the beginner's village. Until you hit level 10 you are to stay in this village." I nodded.

She continued, "Do you know or remember how many high rankers are there along with you?"

I nodded, "100 million. But my group has almost 90,000."

She scribbled something on a piece of paper, "I see. That's a lot. That also means that this time it is quantity rather than quality. Sigh. Not that it's bad, don't worry some of you will become quite strong. Anyway since you are the first one… you must be a little stronger than the rest. But that doesn't mean you should slack off on leveling. Anyway. The notice in the guild wall has all the FAQs and you can temporarily live in the inn opposite it. If you still have doubts feel free to ask the guild receptionist using my name. That's all for now. Off you go. Good luck."

I stood up, "Um, are you also a player?"

She replied, "Yes. In this world, everyone is a player."

I nodded and thanked her and left, just in time to hear a big commotion near the gate. "Explain what the fuck is going on! Who are you people?!..."

He looked to be around twenty, muscular, tall, slightly bearded. I noted his face down, so that I could avoid him in the future and went inside the village. I headed towards the center, to the largest building. Outside the huge hut was a notice board. Probably the FAQ's, so I read them.

[Where am I? You are in the high ranker beginner's village.

What is a high ranker? Players who have high potential and have performed well in the initial screening by the dark ones.

What are players? Everyone in this world, including you.

What are dark ones? God's/Devil's. Game master's. Ruler's of the game. Even we are not too sure.

What should I do? Level up by completing missions and quests.

How? Guild's issue quests. Complete them accordingly. The dark ones issue missions. Follow the rules and complete them accordingly.

What are parties? A party is a team of players. Teaming up helps to complete quests and missions. You are recommended to form a party.

How should I form a party? Get to know players and form one according to your roles.

What are roles? Classes or jobs define your role. Example: tanks are vanguard defenders. Archers are rearguard attackers. Priests are healers.

How do I get my class/job? Get to level 10 and it will be explained.

What if I die? You will no longer exist. You will die.

Join the Adventurer's Guild first and the path will open up. Good luck, player.]

6