Chapter 18 – Hunting and Information
50 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

<Jared's POV>

I calculated it… We would need to kill at least 60 boggarts to level up. Which is equivalent to 12 subjugation quest requests. We should still be able to level up by the end of the day because there are four of us.

I guessed that the only thing unique about boggarts was the way they looked. Because I had asked around and the day before, about ways to defeat them… And it was the same as all the rank D monsters. And the only spells that they could use were wind related. Not that I'm looking down on air magic, but it was better with only air rather than multiple types of magic spells, like corrupted pixies.

Anyway… We made our way to the boggart-infested area and became alert. Jackie started using detection, I really wish that I had that convenient skill. We walked towards 3 boggarts, ready to use our divide and conquer technique on the 3 enemies. 

It wasn't very ingenious, but the fact that Megzie thought to prepare all of us before the battle even began was still smart. I should have thought of it too, so kudos to her. Going back to our battle, the boggarts kept firing mini tornadoes and wind blades at us.

It was difficult for us to block it, so we just kept dodging while engaging a boggart each. Jackie was having a lot of trouble, her arrows kept getting swept away. So instead she started using stones. She could still use her skills, even on stones apparently. Either way though, she was hardly of any help.

The three of us defeated the boggarts after a while and we had a small group discussion. After which it was decided that the three of us would take turns partying with Jackie to kill imps and corrupted brownies, because they were close by, while the other two would stay and fight the boggarts. So much for a full party battle.

Ken went with Jackie first. We decided to switch after every 5 imps or brownies. I finally got to fight with Megzie. It was a change from Jackie, as with Jackie, it felt like I was practically fighting alone, as I was always alone on the front lines. But with Megzie, she was with me and we were like partners. Moreover, since both of us were weapon masters, the synergy came easily for us. We kept using our dashes and respective CC and AoE skills.

We ended up killing over 10 by the time Megzie switched with Ken. It was much slower with Ken, by the time it was my turn to switch we barely killed 7. And then it was my turn with Jackie… We were pretty used to each other, as I suspect Ken and Megzie are as well. We were killing corrupted brownies, so basically larger pixies who could only use earth spells. Easy-peasy.

Then Ken and I swapped positions and the cycle repeated yet again. After about three cycles we had hunted 60 boggarts and ironically, Jackie was the first to level up. Followed closely by me, Megzie and Ken. I put all my stats into stamina. I also got a new skill called ‘Twin Damage’ (Damage - 15 MP). This skill increases the attack power of my swords and is applicable to both my swords, simultaneously. Slash and poke only worked on one of my swords at a time, so this was a welcomed skill. And I could stack the effects, so it was a great skill. And, as usual, every 5 levels the resistance got incremented a stat.

Name: Jared

Species: Human (M)

Age: 19

Level: 20

Exp: 0/500

Free Stat: 0

Str: 40 (+1)

Sta: 40 

Agi: 35 

Int: 30

Luck: 25 

Res: 14 

Title:

None

Class:

Sword-master

Job:

Assassin

Skills: Slash. Poke. Sneak. Dash. Twin Damage.

<Megzie’s POV>

By the time we finished off the boggarts, it was already dark and we had all reached level 20 successfully. We got back to the AG and went for dinner. Initially the plan was for us to tackle the 'challenge room' tomorrow morning, but after consulting with the guild, we decided to do it tomorrow, after lunch.

"What will happen in the challenge room?' I asked Petunia. She replied, "Honestly, we don't quite know. No one has clear memories of what happens in the challenge room. But from what is clear, it will be a similar experience as the tutorial for most. But this is just speculation, so I can't tell you with a guarantee." I nodded and she continued, "Whatever the case, you should fight hard and think on your toes to solve the quest mission accordingly."

I thanked Petunia and she replied, “You’re welcome. I also suggest that you take up the ‘challenge room’ after a good rest. When you are ready, go to the church and just focus on your level in the status menu. After this, you will be transported to the ‘challenge room’ on your own. You will only be transported back when you complete your trial.”

So that night, while I was in my bed thinking about what the challenge room will hold, and about how long it will take, I checked my level and allocated my stats. As usual, I had distributed all my stats evenly. I also decided to use up by free stats that I had saved for emergencies, because there wasn’t much point of saving them up. So I assigned them each to stamina and agility:

 

Name: Megzie

Species: Human (F)

Age: 18

Level: 20

Exp: 0/500

Free Stat: 0

Str: 35 (+2)

Sta: 37 (+2)

Agi: 38 (+1)

Int: 35 (+1)

Luck: 35 (+1)

Res: 15 (+1)

Title:

Strong Newbie (all stats +1)

Class:

Mace-master

Job:

Damage dealer

Skills: Mace CC. Mace AoE. Evade. Dash. Bash.

 

I had also gotten a new skill, now that I had reached level 20: ‘Bash’ (damage- 10 MP). Another damage type skill, but this one gave confusion to enemies, unlike mace CC which gave stun. For now, I’m not sure which was better. But bash could be used on single as well as multiple targets. I focused on my skill details:

[Skills:

Mace AoE: Hit multiple targets with a sweeping gesture. 75% chance of knock back. Proficiency: level 3. MP: 10.

Mace CC: Bash a single target with 25% chance of stun for 3 seconds. Proficiency: level 3. MP: 5.

Evade: Receive an attack with only a third of its power and a 50% chance of completely dodging. Proficiency: level 3. MP: 20.

Dash: Speed up/blink 4 meters in one direction. CD: 5 seconds. Proficiency: level 2. MP: 10.

Bash: Damage increase and 1% chance of inflicting confusion. Proficiency: level 1. MP: 10.]

My evade and dash skill’s proficiencies had leveled up to 3 and 2 respectively, so the details had slightly been altered and bash of course had been added in the list of skills. After I checked on my status and verified that everything  was in order, I went to sleep, wondering, ‘What is in store for us tomorrow.’

The next day I woke up, well rested, around noon… By the time I reached downstairs, I thought that everyone would already be there. But, I was the first one to arrive. I walked around deciding on a table and sat down. After exactly five minutes of staring at the tables, Jared came over and greeted me, “Good morning, looks like you beat me to it, for once.” We both chuckled and I replied, “Even I have my days.”

We decided to go ahead and order our breakfast/lunch, rather than wait indefinitely with empty stomachs, for Jackie and Ken to arrive. Halfway though our meal, Jackie arrived, “You guys started without me? Great, now I have to wait for Ken if I want to eat together.” Hearing her sarcastic tone both Jared and I burst into laughter. I suggested, after catching my breath, “Why don’t you go wake him up?”

Jackie replied, “That’s a great idea, kills two birds with one stone!” Jared inquired, “Two?” To which Jackie explained, “Yup, me not having to starve and as a bonus I also get to annoy him until he wakes up.” Pfft. I spilt the water I was drinking straight on Jackie’s arm while I choked, trying to laugh. Jared was speechless for a second, before he burst into uncontrollable peals of laughter. While Jackie on the other hand was horrified and aghast at the fact that I practically spat my water on her.

But soon even she started laughing, while I apologized to her, desperately. After the whole ordeal was over, Jackie went to wake up Ken. And we had another round of laughter while Jackie animatedly explained to Ken, what had just transpired. That put us all in a good mood for the day. And we were ready to face the unknown test that would soon be upon us.

2