Chapter 19 – Challenge-room and Mission 1.1 (Part 1)
39 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

<Megzie’s POV>
We made it to the church. We wished each other luck then sat down on benches provided and focused on our status menu. I had a feeling of floating, and then after I blinked I arrived in a white space. There I was, standing in a pure white room. The only thing that had color was a blackboard in front of me that read:

[Missions cleared: 0

Points: 0

Missions to choose from:

Slay (Horned wolves) - 5 points per horned wolf (0/15)

Tame (Saber-toothed Cheetah) - 50 points (can keep beast)]

I fell into contemplation. On one hand the horned wolves gave almost double the amount of points as the taming mission. On the other hand the taming task said that I could keep the beast. But in the first place how could I even start to tame a beast? And, there was also the worry ‘what if the 15 horned wolves attack at the same time’.

I took a deep breath. Since I had no clue about beast taming, I decided to do the ‘slay’ quest instead. As soon as I decided the voice from way back spoke like a ringing voice in my mind:

[“Challenge Room Game One: Slay horned wolves. Rules: Use weapon of choice from given weapons. Each round has an increment of a horned wolf. Kill all horned wolves to advance. Kill a minimum of 15 horned wolves to end the quest. Kill greater numbers to gain more rewards. Player gets healed after each round. Repeat? Yes/No.”]

I had grasped the basic idea so I picked ‘No’. Then a weapons rack showed up in front of me. It was only then that I realised that my mace and armor weren’t with me. So I quickly chose a long mace and an armor set from the rack.

Name: Low Level Mace

Rank: E

Attack: 8-10

Options: None

Having chosen and worn my items, I got ready to fight the horned wolves. From what I understood, there would be multiple rounds and with each new round the number of horned wolves would increase. So the first round would have a single horned wolf the second would have two, third with three and so on. To kill a minimum of 15 horned wolves I would have to make it to the fifth round. Which means I’d have to face the attacks of 5 horned wolves simultaneously. I thought that it might still be doable.

Name: Common Armor Set

Rank: E

Defense: 9

Options: None

To add to that the rules said that I would get healed at the end of each round. That would probably be of great help. There was one other thing that I found out no one can die while in a challenge room. The worst that can happen is you fail the round and can’t challenge it for a few days. Which means I should probably aim for maximum points while putting me life on the line. Of course that was easier said than done. Putting that thought aside… For now I decided to take it one step at a time, or rather one round at a time. As I psychologically prepared myself to be battle ready, my grip on my mace tightened. The mechanical voice started to count down from 10. When it reached zero, I faced my first horned wolf. Without even using my skills, I managed to take care of it quite easily. After all, I had been hunting them for quite some time now. There was no suspense to the battle. The voice counted down from ten yet again, and I felt more energetic, ready to take on two horned wolves now. And that is exactly what I did. I swept one of the horned wolves away and killed the other before going back to finish the first one.

While another round of countdown started, I felt mind and body getting in their peak condition. Then, three horned wolves came at me from the front. It seems they spawn at a fixed location, all the better for me. While they were still band together I used my Mace AoE skill on them, making them stop dead in their tracks. Quite literally, at least for one of the horned wolves. That left me with two more wolves. Both of them split up and flanked me from two side. I swung my mace and made a quick circular motion with my body.

I focused on one horned wolf and dodged the attack of the other while I just kept dealing damage to the one I was focused on. It lasted a few seconds before powerlessly dropping dead in front of me. Now that there was only a single one left, I managed to kill it with ease. Another round cleared. I just hoped that this ease of killing them would continue on.

It may just be my imagination, but I felt that these horned wolves were slightly easier to deal with than the ones I had fought in the wild. Now that I think about it, the tutorial goblins were also a tad bit easier to kill, as compared to the ones I had first fought in the forest. Shaking my head I thought, ‘I can contemplate about this later, for now I have to focus on the four wolves that will come at me.’

While I got my mind on track, four new horned wolves had spawned a few feet in front of me. I was right, the location of spawning was the same. I quickly ran towards the leftmost one and used mace CC on it. Then using dash I went behind the second horned wolf and caved in its head. Finally using mace AoE I swept the two remaining horned wolves. The knock-back effect didn’t get triggered but I still managed to get them to stop and take two steps back along with them sustaining slight (but negligible) damage. I quickly ended the first horned wolf and then used dash yet again to land behind the fourth horned wolf. It seemed to be confused at my sudden disappearance, so didn’t put up much resistance when I killed it.

I successfully managed to clear round number four as well. I got ready to face five horned wolves now.

2