Chapter 3: Evening of June 3rd, 366 (Natalie)
587 1 18
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

To Natalie

I'm so sorry for running away without telling you. King Edward has ordered my banishment from the kingdom and I must flee for my life. I know that if I'd told you in advance you would have insisted on following me, but you and William love each other very much and there's no way I could do that to you both. I know this is a hopeless request but I will make it anyway: Do not worry over me. I was prepared for this, and will be able to live on without difficulty. I thank you for your many years of exemplary service. May you live in happiness.

Alice

Natalie stared at the letter, unable to process what she was reading. Alice was... what... banished? Why? What had she done? She had attended the royal palace, invited to a ball. That was odd, with it not being the usual social season, but Alice hadn't questioned it. Then she'd returned home early, claimed to feel ill, and requested to rest and to be woken for the evening meal. Natalie had come to wake her as requested only to find her missing, with this letter addressed to her that explained almost nothing.

Natalie slumped onto the bed, her hand clutching at a small pouch of gold. A second note assured her that it was only a small part of Alice's savings, and that she had more than enough to start a new life, but to not let Lord Sandoval know about it or he would doubtless confiscate it. The separate note was in case the lord demanded to read her letter. He probably would refuse to let her keep the money if he found out about it; there was several years worth of her salary in there. Being given that much money hurt. It was true that the Sandoval house would very likely dismiss her after this, her mistress having fled the kingdom, but right now Alice needed the money far more than she did. The letter claimed the opposite, that Alice had plenty, but... Natalie felt betrayed by kindness. Why would the king banish such a selfless young lady?

There was another letter left behind, addressed to Lord Sandoval. With the Lord and Lady residing in their territory along with Charles, who had already graduated from the academy and married, Alice was the only one currently using the capital residence. As such the most senior staff had accompanied the Lord back to his territory. While there was a head maid, that was only for organisational reasons and when it came to family matters she had very little authority. Natalie was effectively the highest ranking servant present. That meant that she needed to decide how to deal with this.

First thing, she should try and find out more information on what happened. She was acquainted with some of the maids who worked at the palace. Something like this would certainly have sent waves crashing through the palace servants, so they would be certain to have heard all about the afternoons events by now. Informing the staff that Alice would not be taking dinner, she set off to the first of her friends.

A couple of hours later, she was on a horse heading straight for the provincial mansion. Attempted murder of Emily? She would never!

18