Chapter 13: Evening of June 7th, 366 (Isabelle)
594 4 23
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Queen Isabelle sat in a reception room. She had decided to meet Denis and Lucy alone; given that Edward was partially responsible for this mess, his presence here was deemed counterproductive. Even more bad news had arrived today; rumours percolating up from the palace staff alleging that Raymond and Edward had conspired together to rid themselves of Alice, and were responsible for a poisoning in order to get Isabelle out of the way. The rumours didn't mention who was poisoned but they did mention what with, and there was just enough truth in the rumour for the more calculating of the capitals population to link it together with Elizabeth's illness. Just enough of a link to sprinkle a little legitimacy on the news, and get it spreading. Coupled with Raymond's outlandish behaviour, turning a ball into such a spectacle, she could no longer count on the support of the capitals nobility. They may not believe the rumours, but neither were they entirely certain that they weren't true. They would all take a wait and see attitude.

Since the rumours had started circulating before Elizabeth had been diagnosed, they had obviously been planted by the mastermind with the express purpose of damaging the royal family. They had been seeded by letters sent to a number of lower class merchants, delivered by urchins. Merchants who would never have dared spread the rumour, except for already having heard of the incident at the ball, the fact that the queen was out of the capital, and the letters claiming to come from Alice herself. The merchants seemed sure of the sender, claiming they contained information only Alice knew, but having obtained several of them, all were unsigned and did not match her writing. One investigator had even tracked down one of the urchins who gave a description of a dirty, raven haired commoner girl that did not match anyone thus far involved in the case. Probably another intermediary.

Denis and Lucy were brought into the room and took up their seats. Isabelle still had no intention of lying; if Denis was the mastermind, then he already knew everything anyway. But it wouldn't hurt to probe his reaction to certain pieces of news, the odd omission would be advisable and she would certainly not reveal her true motivations for certain actions. "Let me start by apologising for the behaviour of my idiot husband and son and reassure you that we've been doing everything we can to find your daughter. We haven't been able to find any evidence of her leaving the capital and are hopeful that she went into hiding here to await your arrival. Has she made contact?"

Denis hid it well, but Isabelle could see that he was not happy to hear the news that Alice might still be around. Lucy on the other hand smiled openly. "She has not, but we haven't long arrived. It would be nice if she turns up, and we can put all this nastiness behind us and pretend it never happened."

Isabelle was impressed at Lucy's optimism, which Denis very obviously did not share. "Her fiance shamed and besmirched my daughter in public, and the king himself signed an order for her banishment. I don't think we can pretend that didn't happen. But first, please would you respond to the rumours that Raymond and Edward took an active hand in planting false evidence?"

Damn. Isabelle had hoped they hadn't heard that rumour. Particularly since it had turned out that the poisoned perfume had been a present from Raymond. Admittedly he had sourced it from Emily, who had received it from their invisible enemy, but it still didn't look good. "I believe you speak of the rumour that also claimed that Raymond orchestrated a poisoning to stop me from interfering with their plans. The victim of that poisoning was my own mother, Raymond's doting grandmother, and the rumours were started at a time before her doctor even realised that she had been poisoned. They were obviously planted by the poisoner in order to drive a... wedge... between.. us..."

Isabelle balked as her ears finally caught up with her mouth. There was planted evidence to make the Sandovals suspect the royal family, but she herself also suspected the Sandovals. On what evidence? Was it planted too? What if this misleading wasn't just a one way thing, and they were being played against each other? Then their antagonist must be someone with a grudge against both families, or else a foreign play to weaken the kingdom. She wasn't aware of any recent suspicious movement from the kingdom's neighbours and besides, the manner in which this was carried out required too much personal knowledge of everyone involved. Was there anyone with a reason to hate both families? Her mind went back to the interview transcript, to the question Alice had asked four years previously: 'So I should just quietly accept my fate?' Was this the answer she had found?

Denis looked on with interest. "You seem to have just realized something. Would you care to share?"

Isabelle slumped. "I did. My own hypocrisy."

That answer came as a surprise to both Denis and Lucy, but Isabelle began to elaborate without prompting. "There was evidence found that pointed to your own involvement. Despite knowing how the rumour you mentioned had been planted in order to turn you against King Edward, I failed to take our own evidence against you with the suspicion it warranted. For that I apologize."

Lucy looked insulted. "I would never... Why to my own daughter?"

Isabelle replied. "You wouldn't. And neither would I. But you have your doubts about Edward, do you not? Just as I did about Denis. Am I mistaken?" Addressing that last comment to Denis was a risk, but right now dispelling any lingering doubts was the highest priority.

Denis looked thoughtful, but not insulted. "It is true that the way events have played out are not entirely disadvantageous compared to some alternatives. But the risk involved in orchestrating them as such would be too great."

Lucy looked aghast. "Not entirely disadvantageous? This is our daughter you're talking about!"

"I'm sorry, but your husband is correct. Prince Raymond and King Edward have done wrong to your family, for which you have every right to demand compensation. Had the engagement been dissolved in a less extreme manner your family would have received nothing, and may even have suffered a blow to your reputation."

Lucy calmed down quickly. She may not have been as cold and calculating as some, but Isabelle knew that she was still adept at the games of political manoeuvring played by the nobility. "So, do you actually have any idea who did this, now that you aren't going to blame my husband?"

"Had I truly believed Denis was at fault, I would not be meeting your here without guards. He was merely a suspect." That was a lie: While it was true that he was just a suspect, Isabelle had no better ones, and the lack of guards was because she didn't want to tip him off. "We have captured two people who were involved, but both were mere pawns who did not know who they were working for. There is... one suspect for the leader, but I would rather not name them."

Denis furrowed his brows, looking displeased. "I'm afraid I must insist. I will not allow you to protect someone who attacked my daughter."

"I assure you that I am not protecting anyone. Toying with the royal family like this is not a crime I would ever forgive."

"Then why?"

"Because..." Isabelle floundered, regretting mentioning it in the first place. She had been too flustered by the sudden realisation, and had spoken too freely. She tapped at a tiny button, well hidden in the decoration on the underside of the table. "Very well. The current prime suspect for the framing of Alice Sandoval is... Alice Sandoval."

Denis and Lucy just boggled. Denis recovered first, standing up and exclaiming "I will not stay here to be subjected to this." Pulling Lucy up, marching to and swinging open the door, he found the way beyond blocked by a couple of alerted guards.

Queen Isabelle walked up behind him. "That's fine, I wont keep you. However, your house staff will be busy aiding an active investigation all night, and will not be able to provide the service you expect. As compensation, I'll make sure you are well hosted for the night here in the palace."

Denis cursed under his breath, the implications clear.

23