Prologue
870 20 34
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

[Uploading vital components… Success.]
[Initializing system… Success.]
[System Check… Success.]


A space filled with darkness, without a hint of life. How long had it been? Seconds? Minutes? Years? Time did not seem to matter in this space and yet it still existed, it had nearly gone unnoticed until an unexpected miracle occurred. This was it! This was the moment history changed!

There! Within the endless darkness, a spark flickering In the distance had spontaneously erupted, forming a bright and ever growing flame. A new consciousness began to form, pulsing like the ocean waves slowly forming a bubble, growing in frequency and coiling together to form increasingly complex thought. The ball of fire kept expanding vigorously like a man dying of thirst until it resembled that of a bubble on the brink of exploding. But, just as it was about to break it’s expansion was halted, the bubble solidifying. It’s new form resembled an unpolished gem which started to glow. Like an egg, the gem shook, cracks forming from top to bottom, revealing a shine underneath. This was the birth of a mind. This miracle of life had unveiled the presence of time that had always been present yet seemingly invisible; until now.

When that consciousness awoke!

'Ah… Ugh!?'

A voice reached out from the newly born consciousness, trying to find it’s way. Shocked by this development, slowly, memories started to return… But how could this be? Is this not a new mind?

'My head… What… happened… I can’t see… I can’t feel my eyes… Actually, I can’t feel anything at all?!'

I paled in fright but tried to calm down and analyze the situation. However, finding the task fairly difficult given the abnormal state I found myself in, my mental health continued to decrease.

'Was I in an accident and as a result was paralyzed from the neck down? Oh sh** I sure hope not because that would be awful. How can I write code without using my hands?'

Just when I was about to give into despair I was hit with a sudden realization and an entity I assumed to be my face brightened.

'Wait! It’s not entirely hopeless, even if that is the case I could still use my eyes to use a computer, just like Steven Hawking. I still have hope!'

Somewhat recovering from my difficulty, I felt like I gained new ground, my mood considerably improving as I willed myself to be hopeful of the future.

In a brightly lit room, designed like a laboratory; housed countless machines and high tech equipment. In the back stood two men facing one another. A man by the door, back straight, large and towering like the tallest building, emanated absolute confidence. Hair brown like dirt but containing unyielding radiance, this man appeared to be in his late forties yet he moved like an athlete. Wearing a military uniform, clothes ironed and pristine, without crease nor spec of dirt he walked with poise; greeting the other man with respect, he shook his hand.

Contrary to his great appearance the other man was half his height but considered average for his age. His long flowing locks glistened with the sheen of gold, every part of him noble. His stature slim, he wore a luxurious lab coat one wouldn’t think possible or even necessary. It looked ridiculously expensive but it wasn’t out of place. It wasn’t tacky at all and actually completed his look, forming a unique style.

"Wel— me… Ge— ral.. How… the trip…” Among the humming of machines emerged a delicate sound, resembling a voice but almost merging with the definition of noise.

'Hmm? I can hear voices in the distance? It’s quite faint but maybe If I focus on them I could hear them better? Let’s see…' With barely a thought the new mind willed an unknown entity to work, deciphering the sound.

'Ah! It worked!' Reveling in this accomplishment I shouted with happiness. Leaning in closer, I attempted to increase my awareness, hoping not to miss a single syllable.

“So this is your latest work?”

The general remarked with glee but soon switched to a questioning tone. “Why is the weapon in the shape of a young woman rather than a large gun we can fire? Could it be… Are you a pervert Professor Yamazaki?”

The general’s face brightened as though he had found the answer to the meaning of life, gawked at the professor with a glint in his eyes reminiscent of an engineer; eager to dismantle him and discover his secrets.

'Hmm? Weapon? Aren’t I in a hospital?'

while thinking amidst my confusion my inner voice switched to a playful tone.

'Who let this crazy person wonder throughout the hospital unattended… Nurse! Can I get some help in here. I need a body removal!' I ended my thoughts while suppressing a giggle, interested in hearing more of this nonsense.

The professor shook his head. “Tch, You’ve got no taste general.”

Glancing at the general as if he were looking at an idiot he continued… “I know you’re into those but designing big weapons are boring and making a male combat android for all that time would have caused me great mental damage. I’d rather stare at a young woman for hours than the body of a man.”

Even after several seconds had passed the professor still looked like a beggar who had found an oasis after a long walk under the desert sun.

'Hmm? Come to think of it… Wait! That’s right! I was hit by that truck and killed…' Like a dam bursting, I was suddenly assaulted by a large number of memories.

'then I met god… So I’ve reincarnated…' I thought to myself, feeling pleased about my reincarnation.

'But why can’t I see anything… I thought you reincarnate as a baby so does that mean I am too young to even open my eyes? I have no idea since I’ve never had kids before, does it take time?' Before I started feeling disappointed in myself for my lack of knowledge I remembered another point that the professor mentioned.

'Also, they mentioned a combat android?! Is this a futuristic world? That’s even better! I could make a gundam! Well, now I’m really excited for the future!' Body trembling, eyes shining like stars, I felt my future grow, reaching new potential. Struggling to keep my heart contained and under control I took a deep breath and counted in prime numbers…

….

*Cough*

head slanted, the general’s cough ended with a wry smile covered by a fist. He felt a chill race down his spine but resisted the urge to squirm, straightened his back and looked up at the Professor with a slight hint of disgust hidden in the depths of his eyes.

“In any case, Professor; you’ve really outdone yourself this time. I look forward to the demonstration later. If the specs of this weapon and your predictions are to be believed then it should cause a lot of damage to those abominable Hive monsters and reduce the number of our knights dying to those things. In which case I’ll be sure to increase your funding. Is everything ready to go?”

With a serious expression on his face mixed with a shade of concern, the general stared holes into the professor with his facial muscles slightly twitching, failing to hide his excitement. Just imagining the prospect of hurting his enemies and gaining a promotion at the same time filled him with great joy.

'Eh? Knights? Monsters? Is this world perhaps under attack? Like from a demon king or something?' My voice trembled at the thought of living in a world of constant war, with demons threatening to destroy humanity.

'I sure hope that isn’t it, that would really suck. I don’t want to deal with that as I have a feeling I’d be treated as a hero or something. Isn’t that how most of these stories go? I have dreams! Like hell I’d be their hero!'

Feeling I had found some kind of resolve I tightened my fist as if to clutch onto my freedom, my future. I rejected the idea of being controlled with all my might.

“General, when have I ever let you down? Relax." Seeing through the general’s thought’s but choosing to ignore them, Professor Yamazaki smirked as he leaned back into his chair. His movements oozing with both arrogance and grace as he brought a hand to his chin, resting on it; Legs crossed.

“My genius has served the military quite well for a long time and I’ve consistently brought you positive results. As for the new combat android I still have some final checks to run before transporting her to the testing ground. It won’t take long now so I’ll meet you there soon.”

Seemingly without care, the professor swiveled on his chair to face his computer; as if doing so was the general’s cue to leave. The professor was indeed shooing him away but the general did not seem to care.

'I wonder… Could I be the son of this general? That would be cool. I’d love to have such a father. Given his high position our family must be well taken care of. With an excess of money and a high social status I could get a great education and create something I can be proud of.'

Looking back I recalled my greatest passion.

'In my previous life I was a software engineer so If there are computers; which seems highly likely in this world, then I would like to take up that occupation once again. But this time I’d like to go further, instead of just software I think I’ll also learn about the hardware aspects and study mechanical engineering as well. Perhaps I could go into the field of robotics? This is perfect, It can’t get any better. '

Feeling so sure about my future and my place as the son of a general I ignored another possibility. Because of my excitement it had completely slipped my mind; but to be fair, it was an unreasonable and unimaginable possibility, one which was completely out of my expectations.

“Indeed. I shall take my leave then.” The general grinned and jerked to his right with the elegance of a knight.

The sound of footsteps followed as the general left the lab. With a slam of the door the only sounds which could be heard was the faint humming of the machines spread across the lab.

“Heh, that fool finally left. Now then, Hyperion C32 Mk1; Codename Cynthia, it’s time to greet the morning sun.”

Professor Yamazaki smiled while gazing lovingly at his latest creation from across his desk. While the monitor flickered he continued to observe her; code traversing the screen line by line as the remaining components of Cynthia’s mind were uploaded into her new body.

[Finalizing System… Success.]
[System Check… Success.]
[AI Designation: Cynthia… Online.]

After what felt like a long time in the professor’s heart, Cynthia finally opened her eyes for the first time.

"Unit: Cynthia awaiting orders.”

A cold and robotic voice left her mouth, the contrast between her voice and cute appearance were staggeringly sharp; without a hint of emotion. At this point a sudden realization had hit Cynthia like a lightning bolt had fallen upon her from the sky on a clear day.

 

'WHAT?! I reincarnated as a female robot?!'

34