Chapter Ten
15 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Alison got up from the edge of the mountain and nodded.

It had been at least a week since she had left, probably two. She gave herself some time to mourn her family, to say goodbye once again.

After her tears ended, leaving her a bit empty, she was finally able to start thinking about what she wanted to do now.

It was…A big decision.

Her family were special to her and she did not want to put them to shame. She also didn’t want to do something that she would regret either so…She had to put everything into consideration.

 

She could stay away from…Him. The son of the man that had killed her family…

She could stay out here, free and perhaps steal if she wants. She could perhaps, in time, find another man and marry one day and do whatever she wanted until then. She doesn’t even have to steal now if she didn’t want to, maybe she could travel instead.

Then…On the other hand, if she were to go back to…Him.

Would he marry her still? If he does, would he marry another as well? Would she be stuck in the palace?

His friend David didn’t seem to like her, so she’d have to gain his trust back. It just…Seemed so…Confusing…

Then without those questions, in the depths of her heart where she just felt feelings, she felt lonely.

…One thing was clear…The idea of any other man being with her was blasphemous! And the idea of him being with any other woman was also wrong! Completely wrong! He was hers!

He was it! Even though he was the son of that dreadful King, he was it…

…Already, she knew that there was nothing to forgive. He hadn’t done anything wrong…In fact, Elton had done many things to help her…

 

That was that! That was it…

Upon seeing the sun come up, Alison was only more and more determined to know of Elton’s thoughts. So, she was going to go back and ask!

He can forget marrying anyone else if he marries her! He will have to accept that sometimes she will become a thief and leave the palace! But of course, she needs to know what he thinks and feels about her first!

Her identity of being Alison Truvelle should be enough…Or did she wreck her chances when she left? It’s just…

Alison might have made up her mind upon returning to the palace, and even started walking in that direction, but that didn’t mean that she was still unsure about what will happen and how someone or some people may feel…

Coming in front of an abandoned hut, Alison was sort of happy for the change of thoughts. Her mind was dizzy and perhaps thinking about an abandoned hut would free her up a bit.

 

Moving the door slightly and peeking inside, Alison innocently said, “Hello?”

The sight of a man laying their lifelessly made Alison move further inside and then race to his side. “Hey! Hey! Wake up!”

The man looked almost skin and bones and had been chained to the pole in the middle of the room.

Dirty…

Seeing that David wasn’t dead, Alison quickly got some water out and tried to get some down his throat, waking him up.

David took the water forcefully and drink like he was full of life once again.

“Slowly, slowly!”

 

With hardly enough strength to move, David just stared at her when he dropped his hands and the water container.

Alison looked away, then said, “I’ll go get you something to eat…And something else to wear…”

With hallowed eyes, David shook his head and looked away as well. He had thought that he was going to die! In fact…He had accepted it…He was just waiting for it to come.

Too weak to find something to break the chain and get away, after seeing that the people weren’t coming back, what else was he to do?

Then, now, to come across someone who betrayed him to help him? He might as well be dead!

Why hadn’t he been found by now? Where was his friend? Had they all forgotten about him? Did he really get taken that far away?

 

He was a man that didn’t cry but he almost did! He already had too many troubles with people, had enough of people and their troubles! Even his parents were on his case a lot lately! He was used by his best friend! He didn’t see Cid a lot anymore! He was now the outsider because it looked like his friends found their girls. It just…Wasn’t fun anymore…In fact, it’s been harder and harder to endure lately. Even he himself knew that he had threatened to leave a lot more lately…It used to only be once every couple of months, now it was nearly every day!

He knew that it was a ploy, that he had carried a box that didn’t have the real evidence in it. It had been all made up but…He had not slept, been trailing after Noel Price, not slept again, only to be attacked after the shock of finding out Lady Adaline was that damned thief!

Yes…He had enough! No more just saying that he was leaving anymore…

If he was to leave this hut and be able to walk again, he won’t be walking home…He had decided, finally, that he was leaving!

 

 

Alison returned with a bunny, never liking to kill them but…David was the best friend of that man and so, she was going to do her best to bring him back to life!

When she had gotten to the stage of being underfed, when she had been much younger, she remembered that she couldn’t eat too fast. It was some kind of medical type of thing but she intended to make a soup, giving David a small amount and make sure that he doesn’t eat too much too quickly…Which meant that she was not going to return back to the palace just yet…

There was just one thing that seemed that went right at this point of time when it came to David and Alison. Both of them were not in the talking mood and did not speak another word…Neither of them wanted to hear what the other would want to say!

They were worried, one was worried that he might be left for dead when he had finally decided to leave, the other was worried that he would state that she was not good enough for the a particular man…So…It was right not hearing anything!

 

 

In the time that Alison looked after David, so that he had enough strength to walk once again, David could only accept her effort.

He wished several times that it was someone else, but it never was, it was always the one that the Prince seemed to have fallen in love with, the one that was a thief…

Perhaps he just needs to accept it…So, he did…

As soon as he could walk, he started to walk, even though sometimes he didn’t get far and hated sleeping on the hard-rocky floor in the bush but…He wanted to get away from that place!

Alison wanted to ask where he was going but didn’t know whether to ask or not. If she asked, would it change the direction that they were going anyway? Would they get there any faster? Probably not!

 

Upon finally making it down to the cove, Alison was stunned to see David go up to the boats and ask if they needed any deckhands.

The determination that he had…It was to leave on a boat?

Seeing that someone said yes, to taking David, he came back and gave her something that she could only thank him for. Truly, he was going to be missed…

“Come back soon.”

Alison stayed there, just in case, and watched David go out to sea a few hours later…It seemed, there was a lot more to that man that she ever thought.

What would she tell Elton? Would he blame her for David leaving?

Again, she had questions, which still didn’t change the way that she felt. She still wanted to be with him, she still wanted to see him again!

 

 

Alison locked the palace window, that she just went through, and again missed Milo.

She had thought about the mouse several times, but it always made her sad, so she tried not to.

Discreetly, Alison went down the hallway, hiding on two occasions, then continued down another hallway, then…Finally, she came to a certain door.

She had come here to get the Prince to take her to the gathering, just a couple of weeks ago…

Well, it felt like ages ago…

Opening the door, Alison didn’t see anyone in there and she went through it, closing the door after herself.

She never came into the room, so she stood there for a moment and looked around.

 

The room…Something was amiss…

It felt like it wasn’t being slept in…Like there was no one that lived here…

What was going on?

Alison took a moment to think and then she suddenly hit her head in idiocy.

Of course! She had heard about Elton becoming the King! He’d probably be in the King’s chambers now!

King’s chambers…

She knows where to go from the library, and she knows how to get to the library from the window…She didn’t want to go all the way back to the window! But…

 

When she had stayed at the palace as Lady Adaline, she had not been close to the King’s chambers and so the quickest way that she knew how to get to the King’s quarters, was to go back to the window!

Was this a sign that she shouldn’t be here?

Maybe she was asking too much by coming here and thinking that a future with Elton was something that she could have, when in fact she probably couldn’t…As much as she might have been born a Truvelle, she was now a thief. How can a thief become…A Queen?

She knew that she didn’t need these depressing thoughts! She had her feelings, she had her wants! But…Her thoughts were somewhat true, weren’t they? The Prince…No, the King needed someone…

 

Alison slid down the closest wall and sighed.

What do I do?

Bringing her legs up and then putting her head in her hands, Alison put her head from side to side in thought.

Do I? Don’t I?

Do I? Don’t I?

The thief is fine, the thief is not fine…

The thief…

I’ll steal his heart! He might have been acting before but I’ll do it for real this time and I’ll steal it! I’ll never give it back! Besides, I have a nice gift to offer him if he marries me!

Alison left while these good thoughts went through her!

 

***

 

Elton walked into his quarters and went straight towards a corner that was for Milo.

Milo raced down like he was crazy and before Elton could even open the food container, Milo hoped on top of it.

“I can’t feed you if you are on top of the container, Milo.”

Suddenly hearing a noise, Elton turned and stopped.

“…Alison…”

As Milo tried to continue to get food, Alison took a step closer to Elton, staring at him, like he was her.

“Alison…”

She had a chance! Just by seeing him this way, she knew that she had a chance to have him fall in love with her. First, she had to tell him everything.

 

Opening the container for Milo, Alison smiled, seeing Milo fall into it completely.

“Are you starving my mouse?” Alison asked, looking back up at Elton.

“Alison.”

The Prince didn’t know if he was dreaming or not. He had worked hard lately and perhaps he wanted her so much that he was just coming up with images that weren’t real…Or…If it were true…He was scared that she would just disappear once again…

Seeing him not do anything, she sighed and put the container, that Milo was still inside of, on the closest surface and then took his hand. “I’m here.”

 

As King Elton felt his heart beg for more, he really did just stand there.

Guiding his hand to her face, Alison used her other hand to put it to his face.

Losing confidence, Alison dropped her hand, as well as his, and looked away, “Am I no longer…”

Clearing her throat, Alison tried again, “I…”

Nothing…

“I love you.”

With Elton’s words, Alison looked up in shock.

“Stay with me…Please! I know you probably hate me because of my father but…”

Alison shook her head and again picked up one of his hands, “I don’t hate you, Elton. I…I know it wasn’t your fault.”

“…I could have looked after you better.” He bluntly said, finally letting himself touch her face. Inside he was jumping for joy!

She doesn’t hate me!

“You were still a child, besides, didn’t you leave a year later? Stop blaming yourself!” Alison said, putting her other hand on his.

 

“Marry me.”

“…There’s no others! Only me!” Alison said, looking at him sternly.

“Agreed!” King Elton said straight away. There was nothing worse than not having her in his life…Of course he’d do anything she’d want!

“Really?” Alison asked, finally smiling.

Elton smiled back and pushed her into him for a hug, “Of course! You are already my Queen!”

Is it really that easy?

Alison tried to think of the questions that she had but…After thinking of the question of him being able to love her being answered already, his lips had come into contact with hers and her mind went blank…

 

***

 

Alison’s arrival back in the palace came at just the right time.

The Princess that came from another country was not one that anyone even wanted as their new Queen! There were rumors upon her being very harsh, so Elton was glad that he now had Alison by his side to fend off any kind of words that she might have.

The country of Melya seemed to be on the decline since their own Prince went missing a long time ago, leaving only Princess ‘Medusa’ as the heir to their throne. The King and Queen of Melya had spent such resources into finding their lost son that the Princess grew to think in certain ways and was never corrected by anyone. Their absence in her life, especially now that they have died, had made a big impact, such an impact that it would be hard for anyone to get through to her anymore. She was not known as a Princess in Melya…No, she was known as a beast! Medusa the Beast!

 

The country thinks themselves as lucky that the Princess was not in charge, instead, her grandmother was in charge of the country. In fact…The Princess was forced to live in a very isolated castle…All alone…Through everyone’s eyes, including that of herself, she was not only dismissed but abandoned by just about everyone, including that of her own country. So, why a beast? Perhaps she had nothing left to worry her upon how she would act…Perhaps it’s because if no one cared, why should she? Questions should be questioned but…No one asked any. They just left her there…

 

 

The royal marriage was indeed something that happened within two weeks, bringing more people not long after the arrival of Princess ‘Medusa’ from Melya, and it became more than just that of a day for Cid and Bethany. The day involved two weddings now, which was also making Alison the official Queen of Commorda. But the day also represented the official day of Elton’s crowning to the throne of Commorda. Upon an advisor from Funmil showing his happiness to the new King of Commorda, more and more bowed and congratulated the four that now stood up the front of the big wedding area.

At the throne was King Elton, with Queen Alison by his side. Beside them, a step down, was Princess Bethany and her Prince Consort Cid. In the corner, to the very back, the Queen nodded her head to her children.

Having Bethany come to her and plead for her help had really hit a spot that had felt untouched her whole life…Being surrounded by genuine care now, the Queen finally felt like her life was just a bit more meaningful then it used to be.

It was a good day!

 

 

Alison had kept a secret from her new husband, the King, and so now, just two days after becoming the Queen of this land, she left the confines of her new quarters and went to Lupis!

Falling into the caves, wiping herself down only twice, she continued and smiled when she heard noises. She had placed notices around the caves, to tell them all to gather, even though thieves don’t gather, and so now was the moment of curiosity for all of them…

Who would show up?

Just this question was exciting!

 

Walking into an area, to see three, then looking down the hall to see another two, Alison saw that some indeed have come, they just didn’t linger in the same cave areas.

“You here for the poster too?”

Alison smiled and nodded.

“I think it’s because no one ever tried this before. I’m surprised how many of us showed up!”

Letting out a small laugh, Alison stood where she was.

Thieves sometimes didn’t look at the time, or if they did, they didn’t care about it. Late, on time…Time was their plaything, even if they were waiting.

 

“Allie? Haven’t seen ya for a while, aye!”

“Chad.” Alison said with a nod.

Chad stopped for a moment and then stared at Alison. “Why do I have a feeling that you did the posters?”

“Because I did.” Alison didn’t lie, what was the point?

“Why?”

Suddenly she was surrounded, and Alison raised her eyebrows to the curiosity.

“I am in touch with the King of this land, he wants us on his side, stealing from other countries instead. I want to know who is interested!”

This was her present to her man!

He wanted the countries thieves, turned into the country’s spies! And she will make it happen!

“I heard it already, aye. He told me this when I was in the dungeon.” Chad said.

Alison looked at him squarely and shrugged, “In or out?”

“…What’s the pay?”

 

 

So, for what Alison got for her present to her King for her wedding, was thieves that finally accepted to become spies for the him! She was going to be the ‘messenger’ from him to them and so she played quite an important part in the country…

What shocked Alison was that he also had a present for her, and it was so overwhelming to her that she cried.

Her home…Her family’s home was so grand once again…The front door works!

There was no ‘homeless’ living arrangements in her room anymore, no, the place was fully repaired, and filled with…Everything!

Arts, tables, chairs, tapestries, clothes, beds, sheets, plates…Everything had arrived like magic!

Having Elton by her side, as he had come to show her this amazing present to her, Alison went into his arms, holding him tight…

“Thank you so much!”

“Your very welcome…Little Pillager…”

Alison let out a laugh and became ‘Little Pillager’ by going through his pockets and pulling out something.

Showing it to his face, to see him smile and try to get it off her, Alison laughed and ran away!

 

 

It was at this time that a lost, lonely person was taken, not even questioned upon where he went. Having taken the place of a silly brother who was sticking his nose into somebody else’s business, Steven had been the one that was caught instead, taking Freddie’s place…

He was taken by a specific Princess, not to return back to his home country for a long time. The sad thing is, no one questions upon him until he does return…

 

There was one thing though that was certain, and that was David had gone his own path. As much as his parents wish to see him again, they had no idea upon when that would be. They knew he talked about leaving, they knew he seemed to dislike people for some reason but now that it really happened, and he was really gone, it still felt like he’d be back the next day to grumble…

They had all underestimated that loyal boy…Well, he wasn’t much of a boy now was he, he was after all, getting to 25 years old now…

 

 

The End of ‘Diamond In The Rough’ to be continued in the next fairy tale story ‘The Free Man; Over the Sea’

 

I know that it’s not that long, but I immensely enjoyed writing this novel and look forward to continuing my fairy tale stories. The next one is David’s ‘Little Mermaid’ trip called, ‘The Free Man; Over the Sea’. Sounds pretty funny but yeah, as you can see, he’s a bit angry right now and he has the tendency to chuck tanties, so it’ll be interesting upon how he goes on a pirate ship!

1