///02 – Der Talas.
65 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

He woke up without knowing how much he had slept.
He was reborn, not remembering to die.
He opened his eyes and found himself in the unknown.
His first thought was a question.
He did not remember his own name.

A small boy opened his eyes again and filled his lungs for the first time.
But how many times had he woken up already? Countless times opened his eyes naked before the void, surrounded by silence. A world without soil, or sky, light, or darkness.
Awakening and then falling again, that seemed to be his fate.
Or that he came to believe.
He looked at his small hands and behind a clear sky of an almost magical and impossible blue. There was not a cloud that stained the sky or a sun that could blind him, in its place a brilliant silver disk transformed night into day. The breeze blew gently, stirring his hair. The white sand was a soft mattress for his tired body. And what wet his feet was the sea. The Sea. Of a blue deeper than the sky, as if whoever painted this world would have chosen mystery as the color of the sea.
The sand, the sky and the sea filled everything he could think of.

He didn't remember how he had arrived at that place, nor where he had been before, nor any other fact of his past and although that should have worried him, he could not take his mind off the landscape in front of him.
What is this place? He wondered silently as he looked at the moon on the horizon. Where I am. Although nobody could listen to him, his questions were not meaningless, they were the human effort that the little one made to understand the world around him.

This must be beauty, he thought, raising a handful of sand, feeling it run between his fingers.
-No, but thank you very much, I'm glad you like it- replied a kind and warm voice. -In front of you, the hidden and forbidden Der Talas, the white beach-.

He, who had never heard someone speak before, looked around for the origin of those words, but found himself alone.
He tried to speak but no sound came out of his mouth. Twice he asked if there was anyone else but only his lips moved without releasing any sound.
-Oh right, I think I forgot to talk to you about that little matter- mentioned a young man dressed in black. -Remember when we talked about the cost of magic? Rencarnation is a pretty ugly affair, you know? Sometimes things do not go as we want and well ...- The man cleared his throat while arranging his tie -You will never speak again- he said coldly.
The boy stared at the man without understanding what he was saying. Once again he tried to speak, but only silence came out of his mouth. Again and again and again. Finally his legs gave way and he fell to the floor. Sitting on the sand, he looked at the man in black who waited patiently for him to calm down.
I can not speak, he thought and tried to scream with all his might. Why nothing comes out of my mouth? He wanted to ask but he knew it was useless.
The man sighed heavily. -I know you can't talk- looking at the boy in the sand, wishing not to go through this every time. If only one could do him the favor of retaining his memories during the process he would be so happy. -And I already told you, it's the small cost to pay for being alive! - He added trying to cheer up the little one, for no results. -We have already had this talk, it was all in the contract that we signed, remember? - clarified by pulling out a written contract in a strange language. -You, blah blah, accepted the favor of the reincarnation, blah blah blah, and would not claim for any physical, mental or spiritual loss byproduct of the ritual-
The boy did not understand what the man was talking about. He looked at the contract and then at him, moved his lips, something burned inside him when no sound escaped his lips.
-Can we stop wasting time, little one? - the man asked something impatient already. -Think about your words and I'll know, I can not read lips.-
Looking at the sand sighed trying to calm down, he understood the idea behind what the man said and after filling and emptying his lungs a couple of times he faced him looking into his eyes.
<Who are you?> the little boy asked looking into his eyes, the fire in his chest had not gone out.
-Good! we are finally moving- the man smiled carelessly. -Well let's start here- without stopping smiling he held out his hand. - My name is Carios and I am the god of Chaos.
<God?> Asked looking at him incredulous and amazed. <The gods exist?> He asked again, he did not look very different from any man, though he did not remember seeing a man before either.
- Of course the gods exist, some of us are here even longer than others, especially those false gods that now control the world - he responded kindly but his words became cold little by little. - You are lucky to have met a real god, child, not anyone can perform the dangerous ritual of reincarnation, besides fulfilling that ridiculous desire of yours, much less paying as little as your sound or your memories for a new life, I hope that this time you do not waste your potential like the previous one.
The child took the hand that the god was still holding and with his help he joined without problems. There were so many things that he wanted to ask him. Breathing deeply clarified his ideas, the first thing was to know what happened.
<I died? ... How did I die? > the child little by little understood the situation or at least what it seemed to be.
- Sorry, little one, I can not tell you how you died, it's part of the contract, you see? ... - answered calmly. - In addition, having to explain all the reasons that led to your death would take longer than we have. And time runs fast in days like today!
<Time?> Asked looking at the sky. The silver disc had not moved from where it was.
- Yes, time, I have important things to do as part of my role in the balance of things, i'm a really big boss around here, you know?- clarified and checked his pocket watch. -The only reason why I brought you here before you touch the world is to end my part of the agreement - he cleared his throat theatrically. - She will be fine, based on your wishes and the payment of this contract I can assure you that she was already released to a normal life in the human world ... - he gave him his best seller smile. - I hope you fulfill your part of the contract.
The boy looked at him bewildered and Carios just laughed at the thousand questions that should be about to boil in his head, unfortunately he just was not going to answer them.
- By God, look at what time it is? - exclaimed without a hint of surprise in his voice - Just remember, magic is not cheap!.. It's time to .... Awake.

2