Chapter 2 – You Know Nothing Nick Remington
889 8 35
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Whoa...I just had my first ever writer's fugue! I over 10,000 words for this in a little over 11 hours. lol People seemed to enjoy it and I had fun writing it, so here are another 3-5 chapters! Should have them all out by end of today. I will also be submitting this story for Royal Road if you prefer that platform.

Just a quick note on the story, the MC is crazy overpowered, but that is not going to play a big part in the story. There will be some action, but not too much and it will focus mostly on repairing relationships and developing new ones!

Chapter 2 - You Know Nothing Nick Remington

"Now presenting Prince Nicholas Bennett Caspian Remington III to your Royal Majesties!" The court herald calls and gives a slight bow to Nick at the door. Nervousness makes Nick's body shake slightly and his palms feel sweaty. 

'Funny.' Nick thinks, 'I faced a five-headed dragon and I was less nervous then than now...'

Nick walks forward with an awkward smile on his face. The audience hall he is in is the unofficial one, meaning that what happens in here should technically be off the record politically. When meeting royalty, however, on the record is at their discretion and while that "Arch-Wizard" baldie was truly out of his mind to insult Nick as he did, he was right in that Nick has lost all of his credibility, honor, and prestige when he abandoned his duty and title. As much as he is hoping for a touching family reunion, he needs to be ready to be treated as an enemy of the state or at least as a deserter...

'Why am I doing this again..?' Nick starts to wonder, but as he enters the hall and sees his family again after 6 years, his resolve firms. 'Because I love them and promised them I would return. Que sera, sera, and all that.' The ornately decorated wooden door closes behind him, Commander Forand, and Matilda with a loud, "Thunk!"

This room is about 30 ft long and 20 ft wide. High above, stone arches and heavy wooden beams line the ceiling giving it a church-like feel. The walls are smooth stone and carved alcoves with many windows interspaced between, each having stained glass murals of past kings & Queens and their great deeds allowing multi-colored light to enter through. Tapestries hang from the rafters depicting the royal house crest and iconography of monarchs. The floor is lined with a simple red carpet leading to a raised platform with a semi-circular table and three simple stone thrones behind it. The center throne has gold trimmings and is slightly higher than the others. On either side of this raised platform, two more semi-circular tables sit with three chairs behind each. The look of it always reminded Nick of a courtroom...'Which might totally make sense in this case...' He realizes.

Sitting on the center throne was his father, King Nicholas Remington II. His red hair and beard matched Nick's hair color and he looked very much like an older version of Nick. He wore regal, kingly attire, but it was not full court dress and rather more "Business Casual" if such a thing existed. His face was hard as granite as it was set in a familiar disapproving frown that looked much the same as Nick remembered, just with a few more wrinkles. His golden eyes were sharp as swords as they peered into Nick's own.

To either side of the king on thrones of their own were his two mothers. To the right, was his birth mother, Queen Regina Remington, and she wore a lovely light blue dress that emphasized her curves and natural beauty. She had long braided golden hair and, honestly, did not look a day over 25. She tried to hold a disapproving frown like his father, but Nick could see a torrent of emotions behind her blue eyes, and her lips were quivering slightly.

To the left was his step-mother, Queen Consort Heather Remington. Her black, silky hair fell loosely behind her and she wore a form-fitting red dress. Despite her eyes being as dark as her hair and giving her a slightly menacing appearance, she openly wore a warm and welcoming smile on her face. She had always been the antithesis of her appearance and was one of the kindest and most loving people he had ever known. Her smile could light up a room and she always knew what to say or do to change an awkward situation into a favorable one for him and his family. She was not Nick's birth mother, but there was no difference between her and his real mother in his eyes. He loved them both more than anything in the world and would do anything to protect and support them. 'Except, not run away for sis years...' Nick berates himself in his mind.

At the table to the right of the raised throne platform sat Nick's three sisters. Mary, the oldest at 20, was the spitting image of Regina and they looked more like sisters than a mother and her daughter. She had a perfect masked smile on her face, as she always did, and was dressed in simple cleric's robes dedicated to Almar, the God of Light & Justice. Despite her lovely appearance, she had always scared Nick and he felt that same old feeling settle into his heart when he met her steely blue-eyed gaze.

Next was his tomboy sister Rose. She would be 14 this year and she looked much the same as she did before sans her boyish clothes changed out for that of a magi's robes. Her red curly hair was cut just above her shoulders and her brown, nearly black eyes matched her mother's. She wore a scowl on her face as if she was looking at the most disgusting piece of trash she had ever seen. While Mary seemed to have taken after the curves of his mothers, Rose had toned and athletic muscles with a noticeably flat chest under her robes. Nick would sooner die than express that fact out loud and quickly averted his gaze when he thought he saw her scowl grow deeper.

Lastly, there was an angel. Like, seriously, she was the cutest damn thing in existence and exuded pure goodness. His 10-year-old sweet little baby sister Lily sat staring at him with wide golden eyes of wonder and a bright, hopeful smile. Her blonde, almost platinum, hair was done up in twin-tails with red ribbons on each and she wore an adorable doll-like pink dress. She was an angel descended from the heavens to gift mankind with her presence. Honestly, looking at her, he questioned if his quest to save the world was worth it. He had missed 6 years of her life and no doubt made her cry when he left. 'God, I have sinned.' Nick thought solemnly. He then nodded to himself several times when he thought, 'I must dedicate the rest of my life to Protecc.' He was gonna spoil the absolute shit out of her now that he was back...so long as he wasn't imprisoned. Did he mention she was an angel?

Looking away from the bright light that threatened to suck him into its a world of cuteness for all eternity, Nick looked over to the left table where his two brothers sat. The oldest at 16, sitting in the middle seat, was his brother Matthew. He had an arrogant sneer plastered on his pretty-boy face. 'Where is my doting little brother!? I demand to have him back!' Nick thought, feeling the warmth of the world had cooled considerably. Matthew looked like the prince in all of the fairy tales read to little girls with his short cut curly blonde hair and sapphire blue eyes. While his father has toned it down for this meeting, it seemed he had dressed up in full princely garb. Red and gold were the themes and he gave off an air of command and haughty self-righteousness. 'Does he think I will try to take back the heir title?' Nick wondered. 'I will need to let him know it is his to keep. I don't need that headache, thank you very much.'

Next to Matthew, was a boy Nick had never really had the chance to get to know. Michael sat gloomily in his chair not making eye contact with anyone. He was dressed finely, but it seemed to be darker tones and matched the air of depression around him. Seeing an 8-year-old prince like this was very strange to Nick. 'I will have to spoil him too! Can't have my little bro all depressed, now can I?' Michael had black hair like his mother but was the only one in the family with red eyes. He had a cherub-like appearance, but it was hidden behind his shaggy black hair that almost completely covered his eyes. 'Ah...the eyes. That must be what is getting him down. I can fix that easily.' Nick thought confidently.

Only a couple of seconds had passed since Nick entered the room. Commander Forand as well as Matilda had retreated to the back corners of the room as they waited to be of any use to the royal family. Nick cleared his throat, but his voice cracked as he said simply,

"I'm Back."

"Explain." The single command from his father was more powerful than any sword strike he had ever taken. Nick's chest felt tight, and he took a breath to center himself before starting his explanation. 

"Before that," Nick began, as the king frowned, "may I cast a Zone of Truth beneath me so that you know all I say is true?"

Thinking for only a moment, King Remington II nodded his head. Nick quickly cast the spell with a wave of his hand. Mary raised a delicate eyebrow at this, a significant win in Nick's book, and Matthew snorted derisively at what he thought was an overt attempt at showing off.

Nick then began regaling the room with a summarized version of his six-year adventure. He held nothing back. No secrets were kept from his family and he trusted that if they wanted these two non-family members in the room, he should trust them as well. He was thankful that Baldie wasn't here though, that guy was an asshole. He started from when he was six and when he first felt his 6th sense and saw the checklist in his mind and continued through every adventure all the way up to the present altercation at the gate. He told the broad stokes and kept the side adventures and nitty-gritty for later if they wanted to hear it. All in all, the story took over two hours to tell and Nick had been brought a comfy chair to sit in as well as a pitcher of water after the first 20 minutes of continuous talking.

When he finished the story, there was no noise in the room. Everyone was either in shock or contemplating in their own minds over his words. Several minutes passed this way and the awkward tension was starting to get to Nick until, suddenly, Mother Heather stood up and made her way over to him, her face set in a blank mask. Nick stood up quickly to meet her and the air of tension in the room took to new heights. Each step she took echoed off the walls menacingly. Stopping right in front of him, she looked him over from top to bottom and then...smiled?

"Welcome home, son." She said simply as she embraced him warmly. Nick was at a loss for several seconds, then eyes burned with tears as he slowly wrapped his arms around her and hugged her back. He felt an impact on his leg and looked down to see a crying Lily trying to amputate his leg with the power of her hug. He smiled and paused the hug with Mother Heather briefly to pick up Lily and include her in their tight embrace.

Tears now freely flowing, Nick repeated, "I'm back." The words barely escaped his lips as the tension from the emotions caused his throat to constrict, tight as a knot. 

After several minutes, Mother Heather separated from him with tears glistening in her eyes,  Nick looked up to see his mother, Regina. To put it plainly, she was a mess. Her beautiful makeup was in ruins and she was balling just as much as Lily was. She glomped herself onto the side of Nick Mother Heather had vacated, and he had no problem accomodating her weight. He felt warm, warmer than he ever had before. Years of uncertainty and dreading this moment culminated in the snotnosed crying mess he had become. After a couple of minutes of hugging, kissing his cheek, and the murmurs of a worried mother, Mother Regina took Lily from his arms. The feat required an impressive amount of strength as the little darling wouldn't let go and loudly opposed being removed. Once freed of their warmth, Nick looked up again to see an image he never would have thought possible to see. His father was standing before him, arms stretched out wide, and openly crying.

If the last few moments were heart-wrenching, then the next few minutes of a united father and son after six years apart were world-shatteringly blissful to Nick. He had convinced himself that his father would hate him. Disown him. Lock him up. Execute him. Demand he gives up all his money and items then sentence him to a pit for all time. What he could have never expected, was for his father to welcome him back with open arms. 

After the king, Nick was surprised to see Mary there to embrace him. She was the last one he would have thought to come and express her feelings for him. Her mask was shattered and she cried openly, though she tried to remain dignified with her tears. She hugged him tightly for several seconds before releasing him. Next was the tomboy, turned mage, Rose, who gave him an awkward hug while trying her best to hold back her tears and emotions to give an aloof air. Nick could only chuckle at her antics.

A semi-circle of family had formed around him and Nick saw his little brother Michael standing nearby, looking like he wanted to join but feeling uncertain. Nick made his mind up for him as he walked over, picked him up, and hugged him tightly. Michael froze, but after a few seconds returned the embrace.

The only one not to join in or even get up from his seat was Matthew. He sat with a stoic face, still plainly disliking Nick's presence. Mother Regina was starting to protest when Nick waved his hand nonchalantly and told her he would handle it. Nick put down Michael after a giant tight hug, stood up straight, and walked towards his younger brother Matthew, the room once again taking on an air of tension. Matthew got to his feet and balled his fists looking ready for a fight, verbal or otherwise. Nick moved to the other side of the table so he could stand next to his brother without it in the way and, surprising everyone including Matthew, bowed from the waist. 

"Your brother greats you, Crowned Prince Matthew." He said in an official way.

Matthew was shocked for a moment, then showing an arrogant smile said, "At least you know the proper decorum. Rise, brother Nicholas. It is...good to have you back." He emphasized the word "good" sarcastically. 

Before his parents could object, Nick rose and held out his hand with his best winning smile. "It is great to be back. I hope to serve you in whatever capacity you need in the future, Crowned Prince."

Once again, Matthew was at a loss. He couldn't seem to one-up his brother and, seeing his sincerity, finally let the arrogance slip off and smiled genuinely. He took Nicks's hand and gave a surprised yelp as Nick pulled him into a hug. It was a quick thing but felt very brotherly in nature.

"Can't wait to catch up bro," Nick started, "but first, it is time for gifts!" He finished this last sentence by releasing Matthew and turning to the rest of his family with a smile and a clap of his hands.  "If you will all return to your seats, I will do this in order from youngest to oldest."

Matthew dusted off his outfit, flustered and out of his element due to his brother's antics, and returned to sitting with much less hostility in his eyes. It was hard to hate someone who had no interest in responding to that hate and who gave you no time to respond to his actions. Nick had used this tactic many times over the years.

The family returned to their seats with more than a little confusion at Nick's request. Nick started his rehearsed presentation with a smile as he looked at each of them in the eyes.

'Things are going well, let's just hope this part is received well too! Did I bring enough...? ' A moment of doubt flooded his heart. He knew he couldn't buy back the six years he was gone...'But this sure as hell should help.' Nick decided, nodding once more. He bowed once more and flashing his customary smile, began what would become a moment marked through the annals of history for each member of his family.

Not too sappy, I hope! More chapters to come shortly!

As always, I sincerely hope you enjoyed the chapter! This is my second attempt at writing and I would appreciate any comments and feedback you have. Thank you for reading, and have an awesome day!

35