Chapter 11 – Matchmaker
496 9 24
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Unfortunately, the release schedule is just not working for me. Instead, I am gonna simplify it. I will release 1 chapter a week for each of my stories. If I miss a week, you can expect a double-length chapter the following week. I think that will work better for me and my crazy work schedule. Thanks for your patience with it all!

Here is the next chapter, hope you enjoy it!

Chapter 11 – Matchmaker

"D-d-date!?" Bella stammers from her position on the ground, her cheeks glowing red in embarrassment as she glances at Prince Matthew who also blushes with their relationship suddenly coming to light so casually. 

*Sigh* "Yeah, Bella. Date. You two obviously like each other. Just get it over with it! You interfered with my love life, so it is only right that I get to do it to you!" Scarlet says, pointing directly at Bella.

"...Screw you author. I am not letting it stretch for 20 or 30 chapters..." Nick heard her mumble to herself, but he doubts the others did as well. 

'Pointing again. Is it not rude? Maybe I am in the wrong..?' Nick wonders to himself.

His face is a smiling mask, trying his hardest to be a background set piece. The relationship confrontation had nothing to do with him and his decision of getting involved was not planned to go this far. In fact, this had not gone as expected at all...

Well, that isn't true. Everything up to the point where she brought up their relationship, or lack thereof, was as he expected based on what he knew of Scarlet. Still...Being able to not predict her fully and be surprised was a blessing in and of itself. His predictive skills and abilities can make life a bit boring at times. Safe, sure, but boring all the same. 

'Nothing is boring around Scarlet,' Nick thinks as he looks down for a second with a small half-smile to himself, before looking straight again and putting his smiling mask back up.

He supported Scarlet and her decision to get the two love birds together, but even he had to admit this was a bit forceful...

'Then again, she did suffer at their hands...Is this a bit of petty revenge? Does she genuinely want them to get together? Who is this "Author" she is speaking of? So much is unknown...'

Back to the carnage...

"M-Miss Scarlet...This is a topic that Bella and I should discuss in priv-" Matt tries, but Scarlet shoots a glare at him. 

'Damn. That glare has force behind it. I can see why people thought she was villainous. Though...It doesn't work on me and is actually kinda cute in its own way...Why does it make me want to tease her..? Did I always have this side?' Nick thinks, again not getting involved.

"Crowned Prince Matthew," Scarlet starts softly, standing up and taking slow steps towards him as she speaks. "You never gave me a fair chance during our engagement, you made assumptions about me and kept them to yourself, you forced me to look like a fool every time I tried to show you genuine affection, then, when we got to Middle Academy, you spent all of your time with Bella even though you were my fiance, you stood me up on dates and made me go to balls and parties alone to be with her, you trusted her blindly and with all your heart when you denounced me, you broke our engagement to be with her..." Now she was right in his face, a finger poking into his chest. 

At this moment, Matthew looked more like a terrified dog, with his tail tucked between his legs, than a noble prince. He took steps back and had wide scared eyes as Scarlet proceeded to press her advantage. He ends up tripping on a bench seat and falling back onto it, sitting down as Scarlet towers above him.

"Care to tell me why then, when you have finally gotten rid of me, the greatest thorn in your side as it would seem, you are still introducing her as your 'Friend?' Would you be so kind as to tell me what was the point of breaking your engagement with me for her if you weren't going to do anything about your feelings for her? Are you a prince, or are you a coward, Matthew Remington?"

'Holy shit! This is some juicy drama.' Nick thinks, as he suddenly wishes he had some popcorn to eat while he watched.   

"I...I..." Matt stammers as he looks between the imposing figure of Scarlet and the blushing visage of Bella who is staring at him with wide eyes. He made his decision in that instant. Was he always a fool? It felt like his ego had been broken down and beaten several times in the last week until it was reduced to the size of an ant. Everything in his life up to this date has been one big spiral of arrogant and childish actions...

'Ever since Nick left...' He thinks, looking over to his brother who is far further away than he was a few minutes ago and who seems to be smiling reassuringly at him. 'Fine then. Let's at least do my best to make it right. Scarlet is right. I have been a fool.'

Standing and gently moving Scarlet to the side, he bows to her once more. 

"Once again I have been shown the error of my ways. I both thank you, Scarlet, and wish to apologize to you again for my actions."

"Just make it right. You know what you need to do, yes?" Scarlet says, crossing her arms and looking down her nose at him.

"Yes...You have made that abundantly clear." He says, risking a cheeky smile at her. She smirks back in return and a visible weight seems to be removed from both of their shoulders. 

Matthew stands fully and puts his hands on Scarlet's shoulders. He makes eye contact with her and mouths, "Thank You."

She simply nods and walks over to stand near Nick, waiting for the show to start. Nick, welcoming her over with a nod and a smile, pulls a bag of jelly beans from his storage and offers some to her. She squeals in delight as she tries one and they both turn back, as to not miss any of the action. 

Matt nods to Nick one last time and then turns his gaze to Bella, who is still on the ground and whose eyes have become spirals. Her brain seems to have overloaded by today's events. 

He walks over and pulls her to her feet in one swift motion. He walks her over to a nearby bench seat and takes a knee in front of her.

Even Bella, naive as she was, could understand what was going on and started to tear up.

"Bella Heartstring," Matt starts, "From the moment I laid eyes on you, I knew I was in love. Your kind actions and your bubbly personality captured my attention fully. Your smile heals my heart and sets loose butterflies in my stomach. Your eyes capture me and hold me with no ransom. Your laugh is like the most beautiful sonnet I have ever heard...I am not proud of the actions that I took up to this point, but I promise you that I will be a better man. I will be a better person so that I may stand equally with you...Would you be willing to stand with me? Willing to love and fix my damaged heart and mind? Are you willing to be my queen, Bella?" 

Bella nearly tackled Matt with her hug. "Yes! Yes! A million times, yes! I love you too Matthew, so, so much! I...I never thought I was good enough, but if you will have me, I would love nothing more than to stand by your side forever!" She says with tears (and a bit of snot if we are being honest) falling down her face. She hugs Matt tightly and they sway from side to side, lost in their own world of bliss.

Nick and Scarlet clap for them as the new couple hugs and cries together.

"Alright, Alight. That is enough lovey-dovey, thank you," Scarlet says, walking up to the duo and clapping again to get them to separate.

They look at her in confusion and she smiles down at Bella like a cat who caught the mouse. "Now, Miss Bella, I think it is time we discuss your new training regimen."

"N-New training...regimen?" She asks in confusion and fear.

"That's right! You need to learn the ins and outs of court politics and...if I am being honest...a bit of common sense as well. I am sorry if that is blunt, but as you are now, you are not suitable to be a queen."

She holds her a finger as Matt tries to defend her.

"Not a word, Matt. You know her actions are unacceptable by the court standards and she needs to be taught. You should have been the one to do it, but now I will take over." Scarlet says with a glare daring the Prince to refute her words. He, understandably, does not.

"Bella," Scarlet says with a kind smile, taking her hands in her own, "It is not your fault that you were not taught, but it is your fault if you do not seek to rectify that. I have been trained for the role of Queen Consort since the age of 5. There is no one in this capital who could teach you better...And asking for an etiquette teacher at this age would actually be a great embarrassment to your family, something that I very much doubt you want."

Bella's fear starts to melt away as the logic of Scarlet's words sinks in. She is in complete shock, the woman that she thought tormented her and hated her...helped her get engaged to the Prince and is now offering to teach her in order to preserve her family's honor? How wrong had she been about Miss Scarlet...How silly had she been to not see the kindness and knowledge behind the girl's words...

Bella wiped the tears from her eyes and gave a blinding smile to Scarlet. "Yes, please teach me. I...I hope we can become good friends from here on out!"

"Don't push your luck, kid," Scarlet says with a smirk.

Bella shakes her head and a determined glint shines in her eyes. "No! Now that I see how wonderful of a person you are, we will be friends! I will make sure of it! You have done too much for me to simply ignore it. Just you wait, Scalet Barnes, you and I will be best friends!!!"

'Again with the pointing...' Sighs Nick.

"Sure, Sure. Do as you like." Scarlet says waving her hand teasingly, but her smile growing.

'I always loved Bella in the games...Maybe we can become friends? What a weird fucking turn this has taken...It is all due to...' Scarlet trails off as she turns her head to search for the main instigator of this strange day.

Nick chooses this moment to renter the conversation. 

"Miss Bella, may I hug my future Sister-In-Law to congratulate her?" Nick asks, opening his arms wide.

"Yes!" She laughs and moves in to hug him.

In this instant, Nick seals her "Love Me!" aura. He plans to teach her about it later, as it would be useful for her as queen, but for now, it would only be a hindrance. 

Nick breaks the hug quickly, making sure to not make anyone feel awkward about it, and steps back next to Scarlet.

"Well, I guess we better go tell Moms and Dad!" Matthew says with a brilliant smile as he offers his arm to Bella. She gladly accepts it and turns to look at Scarlet expectantly.

"Monday. Be at my house by 10 AM, alright? We can plan out a schedule that works for both of us on that day." She answers her look with instructions. 

"Got it. See you then, Miss Scarlet. Thank you for everything today. Really... Prince Nick, it was wonderful to meet you again. I cannot thank you enough for helping to clear this misunderstanding." Bella says, bowing deeply to Nick. Matt soon follows with a "Thank you, Brother" of his own.

Nick waves them off casually and tells them he was only doing what is right.

They leave the gardens and Scarlet and Nick are once again alone.

"Well," Scarlet starts, "This whole day has been a rollercoaster of emotions."

"I thought it was a rather good day, myself," Nick says with a toothy grin at her.

Scarlet's eyes narrow and she walks up so that she is face to face with Nick. "You have done much for me and my honor today, Duke Nick. I cannot thank you enough for that. But you should know..."

Here she grabs his collar and pulls his face in. She bushes her lips against his quickly and bites his bottom lip to pull it as she retreats. Nick's mind goes blank as a shiver of excitement runs the length of his spine.

"I am far less passive than Bella. I will be retiring for the day, as I have a lot to think about and plan for." She says, not letting go of his collar or moving her face more than a couple of inches away from his own. She leans in again, but this time moves past his face to his ear.

"I will also be expecting a date, just like Matilda. Can't let her steal the lead...Though...I guess I already have done that, haven't I?" She giggles softly in his ear, each breath sending waves of electricity through his body.

"Good day to you, Duke Nick." She says with a knowing smirk as she turns and walks out of the gardens, swaying her hips as she goes. 

Nick stands there frozen for several long minutes. His mind replaying the kiss and her words. Her perfume still lingering in his nose. 

He finally breaks from his spell and sighs.

"Yup, She is dangerous."

24