Chapter 40: My Fault
6.5k 40 198
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 40:

  Stryg left the field in an angry mood. Despite his newfound physical gifts, his hybrid nature, and training, it still wasn't enough to overcome Clypeus. It annoyed Stryg to no end. He was focusing so much on his magical studies, that he had neglected his physical training. He’d need to make time to rectify the situation.

  “Hey, Stryg! I’m glad I found you,” Plum called out from a nearby hallway.

“Plum? I thought we were supposed to meet up in the library.” Stryg tilted his head.

  “Yeah, but the project meeting can wait. I wanted to talk to you before that.” She motioned him into an empty classroom.

Stryg followed out of curiosity.

  Plum adjusted her glasses and took a deep breath, “I wanted to apologize for the other day at the trade district.”

  “Because you were being stupid for charging in to save that woman? No need. I think that thug’s punch to your gut taught you your lesson.”

  “No, not that. I don’t regret trying to help her,” Plum frowned. “Just hear me out for a moment. I wanted to apologize for what I said to you, about killing those guys. While I still disagree with what you did, I know you were just trying to protect me. Thank you for that.”

  “...You’re welcome,” Stryg tilted his head. “But, if you’re happy that I helped, then why do you disagree with what I did? It doesn’t make sense. I don’t understand.”

  Plum sighed, “Do you really want to know?”

  “I guess so. There is so much I don’t understand in this place, and its people,” Stryg sighed. “Any information you can give would help.”

  “My reasons are personal, are you sure you want to know?”

Stryg raised an eyebrow, “I recall someone saying we were friends? Or was that a lie?”

  “Oh, someone’s getting smart, shrewd even,” Plum smiled, but it didn’t reach her eyes. “Are you sure you want to know?” She whispered.

  Stryg took a seat at a nearby desk. “I think?”

  Plum nodded slowly in consent. She leaned against the wall, “My mother is quite smart, you know. When she was young, despite being discriminated against as a woman, she managed to score a scribe apprenticeship at Undergrowth. She excelled and was the best among her peers, but in her final year of training, I was born. She suddenly decided to quit her apprenticeship and dedicate all her time to me instead. Can you believe it? She gave up her future for an idiot like me.”

  “Instead of working for a fancy lord in a fancy house, she spent her time teaching me how to read and write. It’s how I got my love of books. But, there weren't enough opportunities in Undergrowth for my father to support the three of us. So, my parents decided to move to the great trade city of Hollow Shade,” Plum recalled the city’s name in a mocking tone.

  “It was a very difficult transition for all of us. The journey through Dusk Valley was dangerous, filled with bandits and raiders. Luckily, we managed to arrive without harm. But, we weren’t related to any of the drow aristocratic houses that lived in Hollow Shade. Finding work wasn’t easy. My dad was a carpenter by trade, but we were now in Dusk Valley, not many trees around. There weren’t many carpenter shops either and the few that existed weren’t hiring.”

  “My dad couldn’t find work, even as a simple laborer. Unlike in Undergrowth, most commoners here are either humans or goblins, and they tend to stick to their own. My mom was able to pick up the occasional clerk job here and there, which helped keep us afloat. But, we still struggled paying the nameplate tax and putting food on the table. It was like that for almost an entire year.” Plum turned to him, “Tell me Stryg, do you know about the festival of the gods?”

  “Never heard of it,” Stryg shook his head.

  “I guessed as much. Every year, right before summer begins, people of the four great cities hold a large festival to celebrate the gods. Hollow Shade throws the biggest festival of all, right in the central district itself.”

  “At the time I was only ten years old. I had heard from other kids of the amazing sweets and toys that were specially imported just for the festival. I wanted to go so badly, I begged my parents. My mom told me we didn’t have the money to afford the entry fees, let alone anything inside. I remember crying to my dad so many nights, pleading to him for a chance to go.”

  Plum sniffed and closed her eyes tightly. She took deep slow breaths before continuing, “I thought that if I cried hard enough my dad would let me just go. As if it were that easy, like magic. Instead the only thing I managed to do was make my loving father feel more guilty and insecure that he couldn’t provide for his family. So much so to the point that it made my father, the kindest man you’d ever meet, break down.”

  “My family had befriended a goblin during that time. He was kind, if a little rough around the edges. He told my dad of how he had a few shady jobs lined up and that if my dad wanted he could join in. To help pay for the bills and such, he said. My father turned him down. But, with all my incessant begging, my father eventually took him up on the offer. My mom and I didn’t know.”

  “They were small burglary jobs, here and there. One night my dad and his friend got caught stealing a vase by the tenant. They had been wearing masks, they could have just knocked the guy out. Yet, my dad’s friend killed the witness before they had a chance to alert the authorities. My dad just let it happen, frozen by worries of what might happen if they were caught.”

  “After that night my dad gave up thievery. But, without my dad’s help, his friend was caught in another job and failed to escape. He was jailed and interrogated. He told them everything, even my dad’s name.” Plum swallowed. “I can clearly remember the night the guards broke into my house and ripped my dad from his bed. They clobbered him so badly before dragging him away. Blood was everywhere, the floor, the walls, on me.”

  Tears poured down Plum’s grey face, “Had he just been a thief they would have cut his arm off. However, my father had been implicated in a murder of an innocent man. I remember seeing the dead tenant’s family at the trial. I remember the tears of his children, who couldn’t understand why their father had been taken from them. My father stood no chance, they fed him to the wall’s shades the very next evening.”

  “I’m sorry,” Stryg said in a quiet voice.

Plum wiped the tears from her face, “It’s not your fault.”

  “That goblin gave your father’s name up so easily. He is a shame to all goblin-kind. You should never betray your own.” Yet, Stryg recalled how he had run away from his own tribemates at the lamia cave. He was a shame to goblins as well.

  “...How can you be friends with me, a goblin, even a hybrid one, after what that goblin did to your father?” Stryg would never be friends with an orc after the war centuries ago.

  Plump shook her head, “You can’t judge an entire species because of what one person did. Besides, he never technically gave up my father’s name. He was interrogated by a purple mage, like me. I may have focused on learning the fusion of the dark element and purple mana to cast illusion spells, there are many purple magi that focus on the other spell form.”

  “Purple mana and the lightning element,” Stryg said in dawning realization.

  Plum nodded, “That’s right. The mind spell form. The mage used them to read the goblin’s mind. He never gave up my father’s name willingly. My mom doesn’t see it that way though. I think she can’t come to grips with what happened. She can’t stand the sight of goblins anymore. She blamed my dad’s friend for everything that happened.”

  She heaved, “But, the true blame for my father’s death lies with a stupid little girl, who couldn’t stop begging her father for some useless toy.”

  Stryg wasn’t sure why, but he felt pity for her. It went against everything he had learned. Crying was weakness, coddling the weak was wrong, and yet, Plum had never seemed stronger than she had at this moment. Stryg dragged a chair over, hopped on it, reached out and gingerly patted her head.

  “You don’t have to do this,” Plum mumbled through tears. “I know you don’t like touching people. I’ve always liked that you are different. You don’t have to comfort me like others. You don’t have to say it’s not my fault, either. It doesn’t matter what you say. It won’t change a thing.”

  Stryg believed her. He didn’t say a word and just kept patting her. Plum’s shoulders began to shake. She abruptly hugged him tightly and broke down sobbing. Stryg was frozen, unsure what to do. He increased the pace of his head pats, but she wasn’t letting go. Eventually, with slow cautious movement, he opened his arms and returned the embrace. Stryg held her head to his chest and stroked her hair, it seemed oddly familiar.

  They stayed that way for a long time. After her tears had dried, Plum took a shaky breath and let go. Stryg hopped off the chair and took a step back.

  Plum removed her glasses and used her sleeve to wipe her face, “I’m a mess.”

Stryg studied her, “I think you came out alright, all things considered.”

  Plum rolled her eyes. “I meant what I look like right now… Financially things did turn out okay, I guess. My mom eventually scored a decent paying job and I was lucky enough to be a mageborn. A real happily ever after, huh?” Plum said bitterly.

  “That’s that fairy tale saying, right? Don’t you need some kind of lover and a sunset before you can say that?” Stryg recalled.

  “Something along those lines,” Plum chuckled.

  “By the way, how did it ever go with that woman from the alleyway? Did you ever ask her out for drinks?” Stryg asked, curious.

  “I-I did,” Plum fiddled with her glasses.

“Oh, that actually worked, wow.”

  “What? You’re the one who told me to do it!”

“Yeah, but I just heard someone talk about it. I didn’t actually think it was going to work.”

  “Gods, sometimes I just want to smack you,” Plum pouted.

“Not a chance, you’re too slow.” Stryg grinned, revealing his small fangs.

  “I thought I was going too fast,” Plum smirked.

“What do you mean?”

  “I already asked her to the winter ball.”

“And?”

  “She said yes!” Plum made a small fist pump.

Stryg nodded, “It seems my drinks advice was spot on.”

  “Shut up, you don’t know anything about women.”

“I don’t know about that.” Stryg went to the door.

  “What is that supposed to mean? Wait, no. Did you sleep with someone? When? Where? How? You gotta tell me all the details.”

“We should get going, Callum and Kithina are probably waiting for us,” Stryg opened the door.

  “Hold up,” Plum grabbed his shoulder. “...Thank you, for listening and everything afterwards. I mean it. I haven’t told that story in a long time. I’ve never had many friends, but I’m glad you're mine,” Plum smiled.

  Stryg never understood families very well, but for a brief moment he considered that this was what it might feel like. “Me too.”

“Wait, are you blushing?” Plum leaned in with wide eyes.

  “No,” Stryg looked away.

“Your face is more blue than normal. You’re totally blushing!” Plum laughed.

  “Shut up pervert,” Stryg left with a quick stride.

“Hey, wait for me!”

Hey everyone, I just wanted to give a shout out of thanks to those who recently made reviews on the story. Reviews are uncommon on scribblehub and I appreciate you for taking the time out to make them. I also wanted to give a huge thanks to those who like the chapter and comment below, I always look forward to reading your thoughts on the story. Your readership helps encourage me to keep writing, so thank you for taking the time to read my story.

On to the lore excerpt!

Yellow Mana:

Yellow mana is mixed with air and earth elemental energies.

Yellow mana fused with air energy creates the wind spell form, also known as aeromancy. Wind spells allow the user to manipulate wind around them. Yellow magi are capable of creating powerful gusts to smash into their foes and wind walls to block incoming projectiles. Very powerful yellow magi can even harness the power to consistently manipulate the wind, allowing them to fly.

Yellow mana fused with earth energy creates the durability spell form. It is one of 3 body enhancement spell forms. It has the ability to increase the defenses of the body, hardening the skin, muscles, and bones, along with increasing one’s own weight significantly. The spell form can even help against extreme temperatures. When active the user’s skin gains a scaly appearance. Sufficiently powerful durability spells can protect one from blades, arrows, and blunt trauma. Like other body enhancement spell forms, a mage requires having a very fit body to be able to cast the spells properly, otherwise risking grave injury, even death.

Yellow magi who specialize in aeromancy tend to be found near large bodies of water, where they manipulate the wind to aid ally ships or defend against pirates. Magi who specialize in durability spells can be found in armies, where their defenses shine. Yellow magic is said to have the greatest defensive capabilities of the chromatic magics.

 

If you liked the chapter please leave a like, if there is something else you are interested in knowing about the lore, or if you have any questions, remarks, or just want to say hi drop a comment below!

198