Chapter 48: Wild Knives Gang
6.3k 50 196
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 48:

  “Karen, we need to talk,” Shirleen said.

“Mom, can we… Can we just not? Not today, please,” Karen sighed.

  “You’ve been saying that for the past week. We can’t ignore this. You were missing for days. Where were you? You’ve been depressed all week. What happened?”

  “Nothing. I’m fine, okay,” Karen stood up from the kitchen table.

  “Karen, you’ve barely said a word to me this week. You don’t even give me a chance to talk,” her brows knitted.

  Karen groaned, “Fine. I’ve just been a bit under the weather and I don’t want to bother you with it. That’s it. You don’t have to worry about me anymore.”

  “...It’s okay if you don’t want to talk right now. But, I need to know you’re actually okay. If you’re in trouble it could affect the whole family. I need to know everything is okay. If not, tell me what’s going on.”

  “Yeah, mom everything is fine. I’m gonna head out.”

“Karen, are you leaving?” Sophi yawned from her room’s doorway.

  “Sorry, did we wake you?” Karen apologized to her younger sister.

  “It’s fine, she should be up already, anyway. Actually, Karen, if you’re going out, can you take your father’s lunch to him, please. He’s pulling another late shift,” Shirleen held out a basket with food.

  “Sure thing,” Karen sighed. She grabbed the basket and opened the front door.

“We love you, Karen,” Shirleen smiled.

  “...Thanks, mom,” Karen left.

  It was late morning and the sun basked Hollow Shade in warm light. The snow had finished melting and left the ground a muddy mess. Karen tried stepping on the few cobblestones haphazardly placed on the road. The morning crowds had already left for work, leaving the street with only a few people wandering about.

  For once in Karen’s life she preferred the lack of people. She had been hiding in her home for over a week and she still wasn’t ready to face the world. But, it was time she went looking for Jax and the Wild Knives gang. She wanted it all to end and that would require finding their location. There were a few hideouts she had in mind.

  “Karen, there you are,” Jax appeared from the corner.

  His face was covered with a cloth mask but Karen recognized the oily voice anywhere. She tried hiding her surprise and fear.

  “Jax, I was about to go looking for you,” Karen forced a strained smile. She had to play nice, otherwise she’d pay the price later.

  “It’s funny you say that. I’ve been looking for you for days. I didn’t think you were actually home, since you never came out. But, I’m glad I checked one more time,” Jax said as he drew in closer.

  “Yeah, I was staying at home until the coast was clear,” Karen took a step away but Jax took another step closer.

  “Yeah, the gang has been having trouble evading the guards. Half of us were already caught by the time we managed to reach the western hideout. I’m glad you’re safe,” Jax put his arm around Karen’s waist.

  He squeezed her bottom tightly, “I’ve missed this.”

Karen swallowed, “You seem to have made it out alright.”

  Gods how she wished he hadn’t.

  “Yes, but it wasn’t easy. There aren’t many goblins walking around without a nose. I’ve had to keep this mask on everytime I go out. What I’d give to find that bastard who did this to me,” Jax sighed.

  He paused in his steps, “Hey, if you ever see him make sure to tell me, alright? You don’t even have to lure him anywhere, just tell me if you see him.”

  “Of course. Why would I ever do anything else?”

“Right. Well, I’m glad we have that settled. Let’s head over to hideout, we’ve missed you.”

  “I can’t right now, I have to bring some food to my dad. But, I’ll definitely head over when I’m done,” Karen stepped away from Jax.

  “Alright, I’ll see you later,” Jax said as he glanced at the sky.

“See ya later.” She walked away.

  A blinding pain smashed Karen from the back of her head. She dropped to her knees, her elbows slamming into the ground. Her vision blurred and darkened. Tears burned across her cheeks.

  “Did you really think I’d let you go? After everything you did? You were one of us, Karen. You were mine. Despite this city taking everything from us, I took you in. And how do you repay me?”

  Karen forced herself to look up. Jax held a knife in his hand. Had he hit her with butt of the knife? Why? She had done everything he wanted.

“By talking with that damn blue bastard,” Jax eyes blazed with anger.

  Shit. He had seen her with Stryg. He hadn’t just coincidentally found her today, he was waiting for her.

  “I gave you a chance to come clean. I held hope that I might have been wrong. That you were trying to lure him in like last time. Come to think of it, were you even trying to lure him in the first time? Or were you just fucking horny?”

  “Please, please stop. I’d never betray you,” Karen cried.

  “I see. Still with the lies, huh?” Jax took a deep breath. “Don’t worry I know how to take care of that.”

  He raised his knife, “I promise you’ll sing a different tune after you lose a finger or two.”

  Karen’s eyes went round with fear. Her heart slammed in her chest. She needed to move. She had to move!

  Karen’s foot rammed straight into Jax’s ankle. He shouted in pain as he tumbled to the ground. Karen forced her shaky legs to get up. Before she knew it she was running away with what little strength she could manage.

  “Run all you want! Go to that damn bastard. I’ll just go get your family instead!” Jax screamed.

  Karen turned, but Jax was already gone. What should she do? Jax knew where she lived. She couldn’t go to the guards, they’d throw her into prison with the rest of the gang. They’d accuse her family of harboring a criminal.

  If she tried going home Jax would already be there. Would he be alone? Even if he was, could she face him? Fear held her back. She couldn’t. She had tried once before, and she remembered how that had ended. She had fallen unconscious around the men, but worst of all was waking up naked, cut, bruised. She had stopped fighting after that night. There was no one she could turn to. Her family wouldn’t understand. Now they were in danger, but she wouldn’t be able to stop Jax. But, there were two who could. Plum and Stryg.

  Karen glanced between the paths. She could go home and try to help her family or she could get Stryg’s help. If she left to find Stryg what would Jax do to her family? Her mom and Sophi? Could she help them? Or would they just hurt all of them. She shook with fear, indecision, and hatred of her pathetic self. She was a horrible person, she ran towards the magic academy.

~~~

  Miss Byrel, front-desk secretary of Hollow Shade’s prestigious magic academy, sat still, as her hand shook in short movements. She only needed to finish writing a dozen more forms before she was finished for the day.

  The past week had been very busy for her, the semester was ending, and she was in charge of writing the letters to send home to the families. It would be fine if all she had to do was write the scores of the students. The real problem was the professors. So many of them ordered one item or another from the trade district, intent on using them for their exams.

  The issue was that all those packages would arrive at the front desk. Byrel had to approve each one personally and oftentimes deliver them to each classroom. The whole thing was exhausting, but at least she was almost done.

  The front metal doors swung open as a goblin girl ran in. Her feet left mud stains all over the marble floor. Byrel sighed, she’d need to find one of the janitors to clean this mess. One of the entrance guards was behind the goblin, ready to act in case anything went wrong.

  Karen ran up to the frowning drow, “Excuse me, I’m looking for Stryg. Uh, he’s a student here. Please, it’s urgent.”

  “Do you have an appointment?” Byrel asked.

“Uh, no.”

  “Then leave. I have no time to waste with a goblin commoner.”

The guard took his cue and grabbed Karen by the arm, “That’s enough. Get out of here.”

  “Wait, please! Stryg told me to come! He’s a student here. I have an urgent message to deliver, you wouldn’t disobey a mage’s order would you?” Karen pleaded.

  The guard paused at her words. He looked at Byrel for direction.

“Tell me the message, I’ll get it to him, eventually,” Byrel sighed.

  “I just said it’s urgent. It has to be now. I have to tell him personally, please. My family is in danger. I’m begging you please.”

  Byrel looked at the crying girl with irritation. If she was telling the truth, Byrel could get in trouble for not delivering the message to one of the students. She was about to finish her work as well, dammit.

  Byrel reluctantly stood up, “If you’re lying I’ll have the guards put you in shackles faster than you can say ‘I’m sorry.’ Come quick, I don’t have time to waste. Let us find this Stryg.”

  The guard released Karen. She looked at Byrel, evident relief on her face, “Thank you.”

~~~

  Byrel glanced between her ledger and the classroom door.

“This should be the one,” she muttered.

  She knocked on the door twice.

“You may come in,” Professor Rime said from the other side.

  Byrel opened the door ajar, “Pardon me, professor.”

“Miss Byrel. To what do I owe the interruption of my class?” Rime asked, tapping his foot.

  “My apologies, I have someone who must urgently speak with one of your students, his name is…” Byrel read the name off her ledger, “Stryg.”

  Rime sighed, “Stryg, leave my class. Close the door on your way out and don’t bother coming back for the day. I don’t have time for anymore interruptions.”

  Kithina glanced at Stryg who sat next to her.

“Is everything okay?” She asked.

  “Why wouldn’t it be?” Stryg responded and stood up from his seat.

Kithina shook her head, why was he always so difficult?

  Stryg didn’t bother saying anything to Rime, it’d probably just annoy the drow. Stryg had an idea of who might have requested to see him. He walked out of the classroom, into the hallway and spotted the small goblin behind Byrel, confirming his suspicions.

  “Karen, did you find out where they are?” Stryg asked.

Karen eyes shimmered, “Styrg, it’s really bad, the-”

  “You’re that goblin student,” Byrel interrupted with a frown. “This is the one you asked me to find? I should have guessed. I should have had you kicked out, girl. Waste of my time,” she snapped at Karen.

  Karen bit her lip and looked away. She couldn’t talk back, she was just a commoner.

“Actually, it is your job,” Stryg said.

  “What?” Byrel turned her glare towards him.

  “You are a secretary of this academy. One of your duties is to assist students with messages in and out of the academy. Bringing Karen here is part of that job.”

  “Don’t push it, boy,” Byrel sneered.

  “Or what? Are you, a common secretary, going to attack me? A student mageborn? Please, do try,” Stryg smiled but his pupils narrowed into thin slits.

  Byrel lifted her head in disdain, turned on her heel, and walked away. Stryg’s sensitive ears caught Byrel’s quiet muttering, “Damn goblins.”

  “T-thank you,” Karen sighed in relief.

“I didn’t do it for you,” Stryg said.

  The drow woman had it coming. She had been the first face he saw when he arrived at the academy and she had made it amply clear that he was not welcome, a sentiment shared by many of the staff, including professor Rime. She was undoubtedly his enemy, but he couldn’t kill her because she worked at the academy. He had to settle with this little bit of payback for now.

  “Did you find the gang’s location?” Stryg asked.

  “Yes, but Jax knows I betrayed him. H-he... He took my family. He has my mom and little sister. Please, you have to help them,” Karen cried.

  Stryg studied her face. Tears were falling from her sleep deprived eyes. It didn’t seem as if she was lying. He hadn’t believed her before, perhaps this time he should. If so, they’d needed to act quickly.

  “Show me to where they are,” he said.

“Of course. But, what about Miss Plum?”

  “She won’t be coming.”

“What? Why? What happened?”

  “Change of plans. Don’t ask anymore questions, just show me the way,” Stryg said.

  Plum didn’t need to know that Karen had found the gangsters. He’d kill them himself and would just lie to Plum about how Karen had never found them, that they had been caught by the guards.

  Sorry, Plum, Stryg thought. He didn’t wish to lie to his friend, but he wasn’t going to let Plum get in the way of his vengeance.

  “We’re losing daylight. Let’s go,” he said grimly.

 

If you enjoyed the chapter please leave a like, if there is something else you are interested in knowing about the lore, or if you have any questions, remarks, or just want to say hi drop a comment below!

196