Chapter 57: Last Minute Training
7k 23 191
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 57: Last Minute Training

  “Concentrate,” Loh said.

  Stryg clasped his hand around a bundle of flowers. He closed his eyes and took a calm, slow breath. He would normally think of his enemies to elicit the mana within his heart, but this time all he needed was the memory of his failure at the grove. Grey mana pulsed through his veins and into his fingers. Stryg could feel his body absorbing the flowers’ life force. The petals began to wilt and the stem withered in just seconds.

  Stryg looked at Loh expectantly, “How did I do?”

“Again,” Loh said in a stern voice.

  Stryg nodded, dropped the dead flowers, and grabbed fresh ones from a nearby basket.

  If Loh was being honest, Stryg casted the simple drain spell perfectly, even managing to absorb the lifeforce into himself as well. She didn’t want the compliment getting to his head, so she kept quiet. Besides, there was something else she needed to discuss with him first.

  “Master Loh?”

“Hm? What is it?”

  “I was wondering why do all magi cast spells from their hands? At least every single magi I’ve seen casts from their hands, including the professors. We don’t have to though, do we?”

  “No, not technically.” Loh placed a finger on her chin. “There are a few that don’t. It’s just easier to cast spells from the hands. It feels more natural, more comfortable when we do. In general, magi tend to perform better when casting from their hands. I suppose you could channel your mana into your feet or back instead. Though, it would be a lot more difficult to aim the direction of your spell. The whole concept is commonly seen as one of those things you can do, but why would you?”

  Stryg finished draining the flowers. Loh nodded in approval.

“So, there really is no point to it then?” Stryg asked.

  “Not exactly. Magi who see combat on a regular basis sometimes train to cast with other parts of their body. That way if their arms are injured in battle they will still be able to cast magic with relatively decent accuracy.”

  “I suppose that makes sense. If you can’t move your hands, cast with your legs instead, right?”

“Right… Tell me, Stryg. What exactly happened in the grove?”

  He stiffened, “My team managed to get three enemy necklaces and we ended up losing two of our own to Clypeus’ team. I was the only one left on my team. It was a complete loss.”

  “Hm. Did you know I spoke with your teammates? Callum really tried to defend you, saying how you fought bravely against Clypeus’ entire team. Kithina didn’t want to say a word. You have loyal friends. Of course, when I threatened to fail all three of you unless they started talking, Kithina cracked. I knew something was off, I just didn’t realize how much of it was your fault. She told me how you ran off on your own at the very start of the match. Callum and her were forced to try and save you.”

  Stryg looked away in shame, “I overestimated my abilities and underestimated my enemies. My team paid the price. I’m ready to accept whatever punishment.”

  “I’m not going to punish you, Stryg,” Loh sighed.

“Really?” Stryg asked with wide eyes.

  “At least not this time. I know what it’s like to be confident in one’s own power, how it can blind one to their own follies, and now you do too. That being said, I don’t care if you lie, but never lie to me again. Next time I won’t be so merciful.”

  “Understood,” Stryg bowed his head. Had this been back in Vulture Woods, First Mother would have beaten him until he was bloody raw.

  “There must be trust between master and apprentice, do you understand?” Loh placed her hand on his shoulder.

  “Yes, master,” Stryg nodded.

“I’m not sure you do. You don’t really seem to be the trusting type,” Loh frowned.

  He took a deep breath, “I’m trying to.”

  “I suppose that will do for now,” she shook her head. “Have you been saving up a third of your wages as I told you?”

  “Yes. I still don’t know why though. I don’t really spend much money, but I don’t see the use of hoarding it away either,” Stryg tilted his head.

  “Don’t worry, you’ll get to spend it soon enough,” Loh said.

  She glanced at the pile of dead flowers strewn over the floor. “The drain spell was performed adequately. Your grey magic is coming along smoothly. We’ll start practicing grey’s second spell form, curse spells, soon enough.”

  “What about my black magic?”

“Professor Gete is teaching you black magic fairly well. I’ve helped you with your shadow spells too.”

  “Yes, but when will you teach me how to cast tangible shadows like you?”

  “You're a long ways from that,” Loh laughed. “You’d have to at least be a master mage to create tangible shadows and even then you’d have to be very talented in the shadow spell form.”

  Her apprentice in fact was talented in shadow magic, but she saw no point in mentioning it right now. The boy was already too confident in his own skills.

  “Well, when will I be a master mage?”

  “It’s not just a matter of time, Stryg. It’s a matter of training, discipline, and skill. The students of this academy are considered mage novices. They all work hard in the hopes of graduating after three years of study just to become mage adepts. At which point they can go out into the world and pursue jobs as magi. Then, only after years of training, often decades, that a mage is skilled enough to be called a master. Even then it normally requires an arduous trial to gain the title.”

  “So, I still have a long way to go,” Stryg sighed. “Wait, aren’t you a high master mage? How long did it take you to become one?”

“I’m an exception,” Loh smirked. “I’m what people call a prodigy. I became a master mage when I was 23. It only took me another 5 years to achieve high master title.”

  “Is that impressive?”

  Loh’s smile fell, “There are only a few dozen high master magi in the entire city. And at the young age of 30, I am considered the youngest high master in all of Hollow Shade. The only greater honor would be if I were an arch mage and there are only half a dozen of them in the city and they’re all old people.”

  “So, you really are important huh?” Stryg stared at his master.

  Stryg still didn’t have a complete understanding of the hierarchy of Hollow Shade, save for the fact that the city was ruled by the city council and that the so-called principal ruled the magic academy.

  “Of course I’m important, why in all the bloody Realms would you think otherwise?” Loh frowned.

  “Oh, I thought powerful magi would spend their time fighting or ruling, not teaching students,” he shrugged.

  “Granted, there are some that teach because they can’t do much more. But, the professors of this academy are all at least master magi. A few others like Ismene and I are high masters. Everyone has their own reasons for being here.”

  Loh laughed, “Tauri only teaches because her father would make her go to battle otherwise. She’d hate to be parted from her oh so precious civilization.”

  Stryg had heard Tauri was from a powerful martial family, Great House Katag. He could imagine the beautiful orc preferring to lounge about in a mansion instead of camping out in the wilderness.

  “Master, why are you teaching here? You seem like the type who likes battle.”

  “Believe me, I do. I’ve fought in many battles and hundreds of duels. However, I left House Noir years ago and recently I’ve gotten low on funds. Tauri invited me to come work with her, so here I am, for now.”

  Loh noticed the worried look on Stryg’s face. “Don’t worry even if I leave the academy, I’ll still be your master.”

  “That’s good,” Stryg sighed in relief. He really did appreciate her training, albeit a harsh instruction. His spell casting had advanced greatly because of her.

  “I know you wish to cast tangible shadows, but the shadow spell form has so much more to offer. There are spells you can learn to cast long before you can call yourself a master. For example, with some practice you’ll be able to cast a spell that enhances your night vision.”

  “I already have night vision,” Stryg pointed at his eyes.

  “Yes, goblins may have better night vision than most species, but the spell I’m referring to is better than that. It can even help you see in very low light conditions, you’ll be able to see even on a cloudy night with a new moon.”

  “I can already see without any light,” Stryg admitted.

  He had only told Feli, who didn’t even really understand what he was talking about. Still, he wanted to try and be more truthful to his teacher. He wanted to try and trust her.

  Loh narrowed her eyes, “What do you mean without any light?”

  “Remember how I told you that my hybrid traits only started acting up last year? Well, around the same time something happened to me, to my eyes. It wasn’t a gradual change like my other senses or physical abilities. One night I suddenly could perfectly see in the dark. I don’t know how, but I just can ever since.”

  “Show me,” Loh said with skepticism.

  She raised her hands. Her shadow deepened into a solid black matte, it expanded and inked across the courtyard, forming a dome of utter darkness around them. It reminded Stryg of the spell he had cast in the Merry Crescent, except this was on a much larger scale.

  “Now, how many fingers am I holding up?” Loh asked.

  “On which hand? Your right has three, your left has two. Now your mouth is hanging open. You just lowered your right hand. Your left hand has four fingers up now.”

  “Holy shit.” Loh waved her hands. The darkness receded back into her own shadow. She walked up to Stryg.

  “Stay still,” she grabbed his face.

  Stryg grimaced, but resisted the urge to push her away. Loh stared into his lilac eyes. His pupils’ size fluctuated.

  “I had noticed there was something off about your eyes, I just thought it had to do with your hybrid nature.”

  “It doesn’t?” Stryg mouthed through squished cheeks.

  “I don’t doubt that it does, it’s just a lot weirder than what I had originally thought.” She leaned in closer.

  Stryg’s pupils started to expand and contract in rapid succession.

“Your pupils, are they? It can’t be,” Loh frowned.

  She raised her finger and brought it closer to Stryg’s eye, then further away. She did the same with his other eye.

  “Stryg, are you scared?”

“No.”

  “Are you uncomfortable?”

“...A bit.”

  “How about now?” Loh lit a small flame above her finger tip. She brought the flame closer to his face.

  He squinted, “Yes. It’s bright, get it out of my face.” His irises vibrated.

  “Sure.” She doused the flame, but kept staring into his eyes. “Your irises are practically undulating, incredible. Stryg, your pupils aren’t reacting to the light. I think they’re reacting to something else.”

 

I hope everyone's Christmas went great!  With New Year's around the corner I will be taking a holiday break. I am committed to writing this story and will resume the usual release schedule when I return on Jan. 3, where we will begin the conclusion arc of Stryg's 1st year. Until then, Happy Holidays!

191