Chapter 82: Frost-Mist
4.2k 18 157
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 82: Frost-Mist

  Rhian began to set up camp while Maximus butchered the dire bison’s flesh into small slices. Stryg watched from the ground, his body only now beginning to regain movement. Loh sat next to him, surveying the centaurs.

  Rhian glanced over at the other centaur, “Hey, do you remember if my Master said anything strange during the hunt?”

“No, I was too busy fighting. But, that little creature always says strange things. Just go ask him yourself,” Maximus shook his head.

  Rhian bit her lip and looked over at the two magi on the other side of camp.

Loh spat out the strand of grass she had been chewing on,“So, care to tell me what exactly happened back there?”

  “Rhian and I were being chased by the dire bison,” Stryg sighed.

“I know, I was there. What I want to know is why you're lying on the ground paralyzed.”

  “I ran out of orange mana,” he said.

  “Flame spells take massive amounts of mana, it’s understandable how you wasted all your mana after that one huge blowout,” Loh nodded slowly.

  “It wasn’t on purpose. I tried being precise, but the flame came out larger than I expected. It almost hit Rhian, who freaked out, dragging me with her… The whole spell went to shit.”

  “I gathered as much,” Loh stared at the minor burns on his hand.

  While the magi spoke, Rhian left the camp and headed into the tall grass where the dead bison lay. Maximus began stabbing several slabs of meat onto some skewers.

  “You may have botched up the orange spell, but it wasn’t what left you in that paralyzed state,” Loh noted.

  Stryg stared up at the night sky for a few moments before he answered, “All I had left was my spear. Grey and black magic wouldn’t help me kill the beast. But, I knew I had other chromatic colors left.”

  “So, you decided to cast brown magic, a vigor spell to be precise, judging from the bronze splotches on your skin.”

  “It seemed like the best option at the time. I wasn’t sure if the spear would be strong enough to pierce through the dire bison’s thick skull. The added strength of the vigor spell would have ensured I killed it.”

  “And instead you were left incapacitated and without a spear,” she shook her head.

  “I don’t understand. I felt the brown mana flowing through my body. I was focused, I knew what I wanted. Why did my spell fail?” Stryg clenched his jaw.

  Loh watched his frustration with sympathy, “It’s not that simple. The vigor spell form is one of the three body enhancement spells. It’s not like casting a shadow or flame spell. A simple image of what you wish isn’t enough, you need precise and deep understanding of your body as well. Not to mention enhancement spells place great strain on the body, doubly so if you miscast.”

  “I almost got myself killed, got it,” Stryg frowned.

  “Something like that,” Loh chuckled. She watched Rhian come towards them. “Well, luckily you had your centaur cover for your mistakes.”

  “Yeah, about that, what exactly did happen? I was a bit indisposed at the time,” Stryg admitted.

  “It was impressive to say the least. I thought Rhian would be more of a coward since she was trained to be a showhorse not a fighter. But, I was wrong. Right as the dire root-bison was about to attack, she spun around and used the momentum of the beast to stab her lance right through its skull. It was quite impressive honestly, I didn’t think she had it in her.”

  He quietly listened to Loh's words of praise. His frustration was slightly relieved by the retelling of his tribemate’s feat.

Rhian walked up to them, she held Stryg’s spear in her hands. “You dropped it earlier.”

  “It seems Maximus is ready to cook. I’ll light the fire,” Loh stood up. She patted Rhian’s shoulder, “Not bad today, kid. I may have been wrong about you.”

  Rhian couldn’t help but smile as the drow walked away.

“You can just place the spear right over there,” Stryg stared at the weapon.

  He knew he couldn’t have helped dropping it, but its loss still stung. A hunter losing their spear was a shame to his skill. He had already lost his spear once in Vulture Woods as he escaped the lamia cave and now it had happened again. What would the goblins of the Blood Fang tribe have said?

  What would the chief have said? That he was unworthy of the tribe. What would First Mother have said? That he was unworthy of life. Hell, even his late teacher Sigte would have been disappointed. For all his eccentricity, Sigte had never gone anywhere without his spear.

  Stryg closed his eyes tightly. It was best to not dwell on the past. Sigte was dead, and the other two wanted to see Stryg dead. There wasn’t anything left for him in the Blood Fang tribe. All he had now was the Ebon Hollow tribe.

  “Master, are you alright?” Rhian asked softly.

“I’m fine,” Stryg sighed.

  “Are you sure? You seemed in pain earlier.”

Stryg flopped his head to the side, away from Rhian, “I said I was fine.

  Rhian tapped the ground with her hoof, “Um, can I ask you something?”

“...What is it?”

  “Back when we were being chased. What did you say exactly?”

Stryg turned to look at her, “What are you talking about?”

  “Well, it was right after the dire bison charged us. We barely got out unscathed. You shouted something. It was like ‘Courish something vindu?’ I think. I just wanted to know what it meant,” she fidgeted.

  He blinked, “I have no idea what you are talking about.”

“You can’t be serious. How do you not remember?” Rhian cocked her head.

  He narrowed his eyes, “Oh, I remember almost getting skewered by a giant glowing horn. I just never said whatever you think I did. All I remember saying was ‘run, faster dammit.’”

  “...Are you certain?” Rhian furrowed her brow.

“Obviously,” Stryg threw his hands up in frustration. “Oh? I can move my hands. The paralysis is finally wearing off.”

  “...That’s good, I’m glad to hear it. If you’ll excuse me, Master. I’ll go finish setting up camp,” she bowed her head and began to walk away.

  “Rhian, wait.”

She paused, “Yes?”

  “My flame spell almost hit you. That was a failure on my part. I didn’t mean to-” Stryg took a deep breath, “What I’m trying to say is, I’m sorry.”

  Rhian smiled, “It’s nothing this centaur can’t handle.”

“The first meat skewers are ready,” Maximus called out.

  “Care to help me get to the food?” Stryg asked.

“I’ll win you over yet,” Rhian winked, leaned down, and helped Stryg up.

  His legs still felt stiff, but he could manage to limp over with Rhian’s help. As they drew close to the campfire he paused in his steps.

  “Master?” Rhian asked.

Stryg stared into the grassy hills behind them, “Something’s coming.”

  “What do you mean? The root-bison already left,” Rhian looked around.

A cold breeze swept past them. The campfire flickered and was snuffed out in an instant.

  “Ah, come on?” Loh groaned.

  A thick mist rolled up from below the hill, curling around the campsite. The swaying grass froze over in a sheet of rime. Maximus gradually reached for his battle axe.

  Loh shot to her feet, “Stryg, get over here now!”

“Frost-mist,” Stryg muttered in fear.

  Rhian didn’t waste another moment. Her Master may have been heavy, but she could still drag him. He didn’t even fight back as she pulled him to the campfire.

  Rhian’s eyes danced around looking for her lance. Where had she left it? She looked to the far left. Her eyes widened. The lance was still stuck in the dire boar’s skull. Shit.

  “What is this? Some sort of sorcery? A magical attack?” Maximus gripped his battle axe tightly.

  “I’m not sure. Be on guard,” Loh waved her hands in quick short movements, her fingers drawing in the air. Faint grey arcane symbols began to appear.

  “It’s frost-mist,” Stryg said.

“You know what this is? Tell us, quick,” Loh snapped.

  “I’ve never seen it in person, but I’ve heard the stories,” Stryg took a deep breath. “The mist isn’t an attack, but a side effect. Frost-mist always follows one kind of creature alone.”

  “Which is?” Loh eyed the creeping mist.

  Stryg swallowed, “Frost wolves, the fabled harbingers of Lunae. They live up in the mountains. They are said to only leave their home to enforce Lunae’s will. I grew up hearing stories of the occasional goblin hunter seeing a frost wolf come down from the mountains.”

  “I’ve read about them before in a bestiary. Water elemental creatures, right? Native to Rupture Mountains,” Loh nodded. “I didn’t know they traveled so far out.”

  “They don’t,” Stryg said.

A faint figure passed through the mist, but didn’t step out.

  “Okay, well, how many are there?” Loh asked.

  Stryg tilted his head, “They are normally solitary creatures, without a pack. But, it’s strange. I can’t quite hear what’s happening inside the mist. I think I hear more than one set of footsteps. I’m guessing 2 to 4.”

  “That’s not too bad,” Rhian said in relief.

  “These aren’t root-bison. If my memory serves me right, a frost wolf has a high danger rating. A single one could kill a dire bison without much difficulty,” Loh eyed the mist cautiously.

  “Well, they are probably here for the bison meat right? There’s plenty of bison meat to go around. They’ll just take it and be on their way,” Rhian laughed nervously.

  “Probably, there are few carcasses lying around. Our bodies offer far less meat,” Maximus said.

“It’s possible, they’re supposed to rely on instinct more than anything,” Loh said.

  “No. I’m afraid you’re all wrong,” Stryg’s pupils dilated and constricted in rapid succession. “Like I said before, frost wolves are said to be the harbingers of Lunae, you know, goddess of the moon? The Watcher, patron of goblins. Did I ever mention that I’m a bad omen from Lunae?”

  “What? So, like you’re cursed by the goddess or something?” Rhian winced.

“Stryg, we’ve been over this, right? Gods aren’t real,” Loh kept writing grey symbols in the air.

  “Right. But, if on the off chance they are, then we may all be dead,” Stryg tried to steady his shivering hands.

“Please, stop being so dramatic,” Loh rolled her eyes. “Even if there are four, I’m a high master mage and we have two centaurs with us.”

  “Exactly, if anything we can run away,” Rhian added.

“Frost wolves are some of the fastest creatures in all the Realm, I doubt we can escape,” Stryg sighed.

  “We aren’t running, Stryg. We hold our ground,” Loh stated.

“Agreed,” Maximus said sternly.

  A giant black paw stepped out from the mist, followed by a snarling snout, and cold-blue eyes. The frost wolf stood at about 9 feet, its white fangs clear in the moonlight.

  “And of course it's a dire frost wolf,” Rhian whined.

“I’ve never heard of a dire frost wolf,” Stryg said.

  “So, you’re saying they’re all this big?” Rhian took a step back.

  As if on cue, frost wolves began to step out from the frost-mist, each the same height. Over two dozen appeared from the frost-mist and surrounded the camp. A few had brown fur, others grey, but most were black. Tendrils of cold mist wrapped around their fur, as if reluctant to leave them.

  “Well, it was an honor,” Maximus said curtly.

“I don’t want to die,” Rhian whimpered.

  “Not today!” Loh clapped her hands together, her curse spell finally completed.

  Glowing grey arcane symbols appeared around her and shot out, enveloping the frost wolves. The wolves growled and snapped as their movements were bound. A single icy howl pierced through the frost-mist. The grey arcane symbols shattered into dust, fading away.

  “T-that’s not possible,” Loh’s eyes widened.

  The frost wolves stepped aside and bowed their heads. A frost wolf stepped out from the mist. It towered over the other wolves, standing at 15 feet. Its pristine white fur practically glowed under the moonlight. Its silver eyes glared at the drow mage.

  “And that must be the bloody alpha,” Loh grit her teeth.

“Um, Master, I thought you said you've never heard of dire frost wolves,” Rhian whispered.

  “I don’t think anyone has lived to tell the tale,” Stryg swallowed.

“Don’t give up just yet. This fight is far from over,” Loh’s veins darkened, flames curled around her palms.

  The alpha frost wolf snarled.

 

Join us on dicord for discussions of chapters, characters, lore, and more!

https://discord.gg/uYqw7R6SKz

  If you liked the chapter please leave a like, if there is something else you are interested in knowing about the lore, or if you have any questions, remarks, or just want to say hi drop a comment below!

157