Chapter 87: Travel Supplies
4.4k 17 152
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 87: Travel Supplies

  Stryg and Loh finished their meals and put on their cloaks as they left the inn. Rhian and Maximus stood outside waiting.

“Good morning, Master. How was breakfast?” Rhian asked.

  “Food was great, I brought you some,” Stryg held out a slice of shepherd's pie wrapped in a cloth napkin.

“Uh, this is for me?” Rhian pointed at herself.

  “That’s what I said. Don’t waste time, take it,” Stryg shook his hand.

Rhian grabbed the pie gingerly.

  “Can she even eat that?” Loh asked as she hopped on Maximus’ back.

“Technically, we can eat anything Mistress can,” Maximus said.

  “It’s just that we normally aren’t given any,” Rhian finished. “Master, are you sure I can have this? I don’t wish to take away from your food. This one is a beastkin.”

  Stryg tilted his head, “I know you're a beastkin, obviously. What difference does that make?”

“Well, people don’t think beastkin are worthy of such extravagant food…” Rhian trailed off.

  “Oh. I see,” Stryg stretched. “None of that matters. You’re a daughter of Ebon Hollow now and the tribe shares food. You can’t refuse, get used to it. The chief always eats first though, which I already have, so just eat your food already.”

  “O-okay,” Rhian took a small bite. “It’s good,” she mumbled.

“Of course it is. I told you it was great,” Stryg pulled himself up onto the saddle.

  Loh watched her apprentice’s exchange silently. She was not sure if Stryg simply had a soft spot for the centaur, unlikely considering how the goblin was. Or if it was because he just did not care for the conventional ways of society.

  “Let’s go pick up some supplies for the road,” Loh said.

  The group made their way to the village’s one and only trading post. Stryg followed Loh into the shop. She took off her hood as they entered, he preferred to keep his on. There were only a few shelves and a single counter inside.

  “This is weird,” Stryg said.

“Yeah, it’s not a boutique in the Villa District, but it’ll serve our needs,” Loh rang a small bell on the counter.

  “What I mean is that this place is small, even though the outside building was much larger,” Stryg glanced around.

“That’s because most of the supplies are stored in the back. The storefront is meant more for everyday things,” Loh said.

  The door behind the counter opened, a woman stepped in. “Good morning, what can I get ya-” She froze like a rabbit catching sight of a stalking wolf.

  “You were saying?” Loh crossed her arms.

  “Ah, sorry,” the shopkeep bowed her head. “I was just a little surprised we had visitors is all. I’ve been so busy these past few days, I haven’t caught up with the latest news. Dullwater normally only gets out-of-town folk when caravans stop by or during harvest season. Are you part of an incoming caravan by any chance?”

   “No,” Loh shook her head. “I am Loh of House Noir and this is my apprentice. We were just in need of resupplying for our journey.”

“An aristocrat?” The shopkeep swallowed, “An actual aristocrat?”

  “Quite right. Now, I’d like about two weeks worth of dry food for four people. Along with two bedrolls, a few logs of firewood, and a small shovel,” Loh said.

“That’s quite the large order,” the shopkeep laughed nervously.

  “And I have quite the money, so if you’d please,” Loh raised her coin pouch.

  The shopkeep nodded, “You’re in luck, Miss Noir. We just had a caravan stop by a few days back. We’re still unpacking some of the goods, but I think we should have everything you’re looking for.”

  “Great,” Loh said.

“I’ll be right back,” the shopkeep left into the back of the store.

  Stryg could hear her rummaging about with crates and cloth sacks while ordering someone to move a few things. After a few minutes the shopkeep returned, carrying a few sacks in her hands.

  “Here you are, two weeks worth of food for four. I packed in some oats, dried fruit, plenty of hardtack, and of course jerky,” the shopkeep winked.

“I was hoping you had jerky,” Loh cracked a grin.

  The door behind the counter opened. A young man stepped out. He was tall, but not in a robust manner, more in a lanky way. His skin was a pale pink, his hair a charcoal black. His amber eyes did not look up at the guests and instead were focused on the shopkeep.

  “M-moma, you f-forgot, forgot, the b-b-b-b-bedrolls…” he said.

“What are you doing out here!?” The shopkeep yelled.

  Loh would have guessed the young man was an adult based on his height, but his voice cracked as he spoke and his face looked childish.

  “Who is this?” Loh asked.

“Nobody, Miss,” the shopkeep stood in front of the young man, trying to hide him and failing miserably.

  “I j-just. I just want-t-t-ted to b-bring you t-the. The b-bedrolls,” he stuttered.

“I was going to grab them afterwards, now go on and head back, quickly,” the shopkeep tried pushing him through the backdoor.

  “What are you?” Stryg asked.

The shopkeep’s face paled, “Oh, don’t worry about him. He just helps me out sometimes. You know what, you can have the food for free. How does that sound?”

  “He’s your son,” Loh said.

The young man shrank back behind the shopkeep, but he was far taller than her.

  “But, they don’t look alike,” Stryg glanced between them. “You’re human and he’s… What is he?”

“A half-orc,” Loh noted.

  The shopkeep fell to her knees, “Please, he’s just a boy. Have mercy. Take whatever you want from the store. He is innocent. He wouldn’t harm a fly, I promise. If you want to punish someone, punish me. Just don’t hurt him.”

  The young man’s shoulders trembled. He stepped in front of the shopkeep. “D-don’t h-hurt h-her.” He swallowed, “I-I w-w-w-won’t let y-y-you hurt h-her.”

  Stryg could see the tears forming in the young man’s amber eyes, the fear in his face. But, Stryg saw something else, resolve.

“What are you doing, Olly?! Be quiet, before they think you’re a threat!” The shopkeep cried.

  Olly shook his head, “They al-al-already th-think I’m a th-threat. T-to them I’ll al-al-always just b-be a hybr-r-r”

“A hybrid,” Stryg finished.

  Loh laughed, mirth ringing clear in her voice.

The shopkeep grabbed her son’s hand, “Run. Run away as fast you can, don’t look back.”

  Olly bit his lip, but held his ground.

  “He won’t leave you,” Stryg strode forward. “I understand now, you both are of the same tribe. Just as you are prepared to die for him, he’s prepared to die to save you.”

  “G-g-get back,” Olly raised his shaking fists.

“Nature has taken many things from us, but our warrior’s honor is not one,” Stryg took off his hood.

  Olly’s eyes widened, “Y-you’re a hybr-r-r-”

“I’m like you. I won’t kill you, that is if you lower your fists.”

  Olly looked at his hands as if they might betray him. He lowered his arms.

“You’re a hybrid, too. Does that mean you won’t hurt Olly?” The shopkeep asked, a glimmer of hope in her eye.

  “That’d be correct,” Loh picked up an apple from one of the shelves.

“Oh, thank the gods,” the shopkeep’s shoulders sagged in relief.

  “Why did you think we would attack you? You haven’t tried to harm us,” Stryg said.

  “Most folk don’t like hybrids. When I heard you were an aristocrat I knew there was nothing I could do to dissuade you from hurting my Olly,” the shopkeep bit her lip.

  “Perhaps the human Houses that live nearby might feel that way, but Hollow Shade doesn’t care if someone’s a hybrid.” Loh paused, “Well, at least they are not willing to kill them for it, most of the time…”

  “What about the villagers?” Stryg asked.

“The villagers around here don’t mess with my Olly because I own the only trading post in Dullwater,” the shopkeep said proudly.

  “Th-th-they s-s-s-s-still don’t l-l-l-like me,” Olly helped his mother to her feet.

“There are very few people that like us,” Stryg shook his head. “But, we don’t need any of them. We make our own place through our own power.”

  “Olly is a sweet boy, he doesn’t like hurting others,” the shopkeep wrapped her arm around her son’s.

  “What does liking to hurt others have to do with anything? You must hurt others in order to survive. Your emotions don’t matter, in fact they are almost always a weakness,” Stryg tilted his head.

  “That sounds like a very sad way to live,” the shopkeep said softly. “Love for my son is what gets me up every morning. I’m sorry, what am I saying? I did not mean to disagree with you, I meant no offense,” she bowed deeply.

  “Emotions aren’t inherently a bad thing, Stryg,” Loh stepped in. “Yes, sometimes they blind us to reality. Other times they hurt us to a point we can’t even move.”

“Exactly my point,” Stryg said bitterly.

  “But, emotions can also give us strength like nothing else. You use your anger for spellcasting, you should know this,” Loh said.

  Stryg grumbled something inaudible. Perhaps he did use his anger, but that didn’t mean his anger was inherently a strength. If he didn’t control it like a tool his magic could backfire. Willpower, weapons, magic, those were strengths.

  “You are magi?” The shopkeep’s eyes widened.

“Indeed,” Loh nodded. “And we are quite busy, so if you could get the rest of the supplies that’d be great.”

  “Right away, ma’am,” the shopkeep hurried to the back.

Olly followed, but he glanced back at Stryg, “What s-s-s-sorta hyb-b-b-b-brid a-are you?”

  “Olly! You’re being rude to the mage,” the shopkeep admonished.

“S-s-sorry,” Olly bowed his head.

  “He’s short, has slit pupils, claws and small pointy ears, take a guess,” Loh laughed.

“A g-g-g-oblin?” Olly asked hopefully.

  “I’m a goblin. I don’t know what else. I never met my parents,” Stryg shrugged.

The shopkeep smiled half-heartedly, “Olly, never met his father either.”

  “Did he die in battle?” Stryg asked.

  “I don’t know. I’d like to think he’s still alive. He was a caravan guard. We only spent one night together. I never saw his caravan again,” the shopkeep cleared her throat.

“It’s better than being tied up in a marriage. It seems like you’re doing pretty well for yourself, all things considered,” Loh took a bite of her apple.

  “Olly, why don’t you go grab the rest of their things. I’ll keep our guests company,” the shopkeep said.

“It was nice meeting you,” Olly bowed his head to Stryg.

  “Don’t let outsiders hurt you, Olly. The first one who tries, make an example of them. And by that I mean break their arms and legs or just kill them, either one works. Just remember, it doesn’t matter if they hate you if they can’t stop you,” Stryg made a fist.

  “Stryg, I don’t think that’s the takeaway,” Loh snorted.

Olly gripped his fists, nodded and went to the back storage room.

  “How old is he?” Loh asked.

The shopkeep cleared her throat, “13.”

  “I can’t imagine life has been easy out here for that kid,” Loh whistled.

“Life has never been easy for Olly,” the shopkeep sighed.

  “Even with food all around you and lack of various predators in the area, a hybrid kid can still die, huh?” Stryg looked at his reflection in the window.

  The shopkeep swallowed, “People can be cruel, even when they don’t lay a finger on someone. They call my innocent child an abomination. I suspect you have experienced similar treatment. Or perhaps not, you are a mage after all.”

  “Mm,” Stryg mumbled.

  He knew a thing or two about cruelty. Though, there were many people that respected him now, most were out of fear. The Merry Crescent was the prime example. But, even at that tavern there were folk who despised him for what he was, they were simply too scared to act on it.

  “Abominations, huh? I forgot humans call hybrids that,” Loh took another bite out of the apple.

The shopkeep looked down in shame, “It’s not right.”

  “Yes, well, it’s just another bit of culture you humans brought over from the Jade Realm,” Loh said between mouthfuls.

“The reason people hate hybrids is because of the Jade Realm?” Stryg asked.

  “There are plenty of reasons why people hate hybrids, but for humans it is more often than not their cultural belief in species purity,” Loh said.

  “Feli doesn’t think that way,” Stryg said.

“And Feli is with someone like you, so I think it’s safe to say she should not be considered as the standard norm,” Loh yawned.

  “What is that supposed to mean?” Stryg narrowed his eyes.

  “All I’m saying is, don’t waste your time thinking about why people hate you, they aren’t worth the effort in the first place,” Loh patted his shoulder. “This woman didn’t bother wondering why we might hate her son. She just assumed we did, which is why she tried to hide him, isn’t that right?”

  The shopkeep looked away in shame, “Outsiders don’t care if I own the trading post, they’d hurt my Olly if they could.”

“A mother should always try to protect her children from harm. I’m glad you didn’t break in the face of fear,” Loh threw her a gold coin.

  “This is too much. A silver coin would cover the cost of all your supplies,” the shopkeep said.

“The coin is for the apple,” Loh rubbed her temple. “By any chance do you sell anything for hangovers?”

  The shopkeep smiled, a gold coin for an apple? “I have a few tonics, non-magical, though.”

“They’ll do,” Loh squinted as the front door opened, flooding the room with light. “Is this what you deal with?”

  “Pretty much,” Stryg squinted as well.

Louise walked in, “Oh, h-hello.”

  “Did you miss me already?” Loh smiled broadly.

  Louise blushed, “I actually came here looking for my uncle. He was supposed to bring some potatoes over to the inn’s kitchen, but he hasn’t showed up yet. I was wondering if he was still here by any chance.”

  “Your uncle hasn’t stopped by today,” the shopkeep said as she rummaged through her medicine cabinet.

“That’s odd,” Louise frowned.

  “He’s probably passed out drunk somewhere. It wouldn’t be the first time,” the shopkeep muttered.

“R-right. Well, I better go find him. It was nice seeing you, Loh. May the gods bless you on your journey,” Louise curtsied.

  “I don’t believe in the gods, but I appreciate the sentiment,” Loh grinned.

Louise smiled and left.

  “I have some better tonics in the back, one moment, please,” the shopkeep went to the storage room.

“...Hey, Stryg,” Loh tapped her foot.

  “Hm?” Stryg suddenly found a wonderful interest in the ceiling.

“You wouldn’t know where Louise’s uncle is by any chance?”

  “Hard to say.”

  Loh gripped his shoulder, “The world is dangerous, we have to lie sometimes, I get it. But, I have to be able to trust my apprentice. No matter what, you and I need to stick together through all the shit this Realm will throw at us, because it will, your gifts have ensured that. Now, tell me what happened.”

  Stryg sighed, “He was going to try and hurt us.”

“Stryg, what did you do?”

  “I dealt with the threat,” he said calmly.

“Uh-huh,” Loh shook her head. “We’re leaving after we get our supplies. I rather not have to deal with an angry mob while fighting a hangover.”

  “...No matter what, huh?” Stryg whispered.

https://discord.gg/uYqw7R6SKz

  If you liked the chapter please leave a like, if there is something else you are interested in knowing about the lore, or if you have any questions, remarks, or just want to say hi drop a comment below!

152