Chapter 126: Krikolm
3.6k 16 138
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 126: Krikolm

  Callum did not know how to answer his father’s question. He knew that Clypeus did not like him, but he also knew Clypeus was honorable. Callum was not sure he could say the same about himself. The vault chamber grew quiet, his father let the question be and simply admired the painting of Veres I and Gale I.

  Callum’s eye caught the empty sword pedestal standing below the founder’s portrait. He glanced up at the red blade depicted in the painting.

  “Father, what happened to Krikolm? Was our ancestral sword really lost? Or did House Thorn destroy it?” Callum asked.

  “Bah! The Thorns? Destroying Krikolm? What idiot told you that?” Lord Veres IX laughed.

“Feryd told me,” he admitted.

  “Don’t believe everything your brother tells you. That boy doesn’t even know what Krikolm means and he pretends to know the fate of our House’s sword? I should really have a talk with him one of these days,” Lord Veres shook his head.

  “Wait, so what actually happened to the sword?”

“...Follow me,” Veres sighed.

  He took Callum to a small corner of the chamber. There were no pedestals nor treasures here, only a single small portrait. It depicted a warrior clad in azure armor from head to toe. The heroic warrior held Krikolm in hand, waving it in a wide slashing arc.

  “The people knew her as The Blue Rose. She was as deadly as she was beautiful, and there were none in Hollow Shade more beautiful,” Lord Veres said quietly.

  “Pity her face is covered by a helmet then,” Callum chuckled.

  “The Blue Rose didn’t care for high society nor its beauty standards, she wanted to be remembered as a warrior. She was brave, powerful, and dedicated to House Veres. She was one of our greatest family leaders and the last wielder of Krikolm.”

  “Last wielder?” Callum swallowed.

  He had always wanted to know about the last wielder of Krikolm, but no one knew who they were, House Veres had gone to great lengths to erase that information from the public.

  “You are old enough to know the truth, but remember that this information stays within our family, understood?” Lord Veres said sternly.

  “I understand, father,” Callum nodded.

  “Good.” He stared at the painting, “Many people underestimated the Blue Rose and she proved them all wrong. She did not simply become the family leader. She earned the title, despite all the obstacles against her.”

  “Obstacles?”

“She was a hybrid vampire, like you.”

  Callum’s eyes widened, “Hybrid?”

There was a hybrid family leader before? If that was true, if she could accomplish it, then couldn’t he?

  Lord Veres nodded, “Yes. You see, the Blue Rose was born with powerful mutations and outstanding talent in chromatic magic. She rose above her siblings with ease and yet she had a determination to succeed like no other. Her mother saw her greatness and gave her Krikolm and named her the successor of the family.”

  “She actually did it then, the Blue Rose succeeded,” Callum smiled at the painting of the armored warrior.

  “Hollow Shade was young back then, the ebon lords had just formed their alliance. Many do not know this, but the city flourished under the ebon lords’ reign despite the wars raging about the Realm, largely thanks to House Veres. At the time, the Blue Rose was the grand marshal, commander of all the armies of Hollow Shade. She led them all to victory, time and time again. The future of our House seemed bright, until something happened to our family leader.”

  “What? What happened?”

  “The Blue Rose saw something. We don’t know what, she refused to tell anyone. All we know is that the Blue Rose said she had discovered something that would change the world as we knew it. She was determined to find whatever it was that she saw, despite her family advising otherwise. She left the city by herself that same night. She didn’t tell anyone where she was going... No one ever saw the Blue Rose or Krikolm ever again.”

  “T-that doesn’t make any sense. Why would she go by herself? Why didn’t she tell anyone?” Callum shook his head.

  “Nobody knows. But her siblings all went after her, trying to find her and Krikolm. They spent fortunes and armies in the endeavor. Each and every single one of them failed and died in their pursuit. In the end, a distant cousin, your great-great grandfather, inherited the Veres mantle of leadership.”

  “That’s... disheartening,” Callum’s shoulders slumped.

  Lord Veres frowned, “Our family leader was lost and the entire direct line of the Veres died out. Our ancestral sword, the symbol of our power, disappeared. And to make matters worse, our House suffered great financial and military losses. Disheartening is a gross understatement.”

  Callum winced.

  Lord Veres placed his hand on his son’s shoulder, “Look, Callum, the past is the past. What matters now is the future. I believe you have a part to play in our House’s future. It doesn’t matter what others say about your hybrid nature, you are greater for it, not less, remember that always. Just as how the Blue Rose became the family leader, I believe you have that same potential.”

  Callum smiled, “Thank you, Father. That means more to me than you can imagine.”

  “But, you must remember to listen to the advice of your family, do not be blinded by the pursuit of glory like the Blue Rose. I know you cast bright spells during your final exam. Many vampires may look down on it, but I do not. It is a powerful weapon, we all know, just be careful and do not let your abilities blind your judgement. Understood?”

  “I understand,” Callum nodded.

“On that note, I have a job for you,” Lord Veres patted his back.

  “Name it and it shall be done,” he placed his hand over his heart.

“I need you to go in my place to Lord Mora’s 100th birthday celebration.”

  “Mora? But, that vampire is known to despise hybrids,” Callum furrowed his brow.

  “Yes, he is an idiot. But, I was the greater idiot when I allowed my late sister, Alice, to marry that monster. ...It is my greatest regret in life. The only reason I do not dedicate my time and energy in destroying the entire Mora House is for the sake of Alice’s children.”

  “Then why do you want me to go to his party?”

“Because he wants a Veres to attend so that he can show us off to his other guests and trade partners.”

  “So, you’re gonna send me, a hybrid, to embarrass him,” Callum sighed.

  “I’m sending you because I trust you and believe you can represent my values and wishes properly. You being half-human is just an upside,” he smiled.

  Callum nodded reluctantly, “When do I leave?”

  “In about a week. The celebration will be held at Mora's ancestral home up North in the Mortis Grove region. The first snowfall will soon be here, so it’s best if you take the Dire River to get there. Lord Mora’s invitation was for three, so feel free to bring two companions with you, maybe your fiancé?”

  “I don’t know about that last part, but rest assured I shall attend the celebration,” Callum bowed. “If I may be excused?”

  “Yes, of course,” Lord Veres nodded.

  Callum turned to leave, but paused. “Father, you said Feryd doesn’t know the meaning of Krikolm. What did you mean?”

  Lord Veres glanced at the empty sword pedestal beneath the founder’s portrait, “The word Krikolm is from the Olden language, the Ebon Tongue. Back when Krikolm was forged the Ebon Tongue was the language the entire Realm spoke. You see, Krikolm was forged by the vampire Ebon Lord Koval as a peace offering to his most skilled general, Veres I. It was Koval's masterpiece, an enchanted sword made to rip and tear apart all of Veres’ enemies in bloody carnage. In the Common Tongue Krikolm means Bloodfang.”

~~~

  Gale parried her younger brother’s slashes with ease. Clypeus lunged forward in an attempt at a quick thrust, but Gale pushed the gladius aside with her long sword and swept her blade up in a flourishing arc. Had the blades been real Clypeus would have been bisected, instead the wooden blade scraped all across his chest and bashed him under his chin.

  Stryg watched surreally as Clypeus flew backwards. The vampire slammed into the sandy courtyard and bounced off the dirt several times before rolling on the ground motionlessly.

  Gale blew away a strand of blonde hair that had strayed from her ponytail, “You need to be more focused on your defense, Cly. You’re leaving too many openings.”

  Clypeus only managed a groan in response.

Gale turned her gaze on the young goblin, “Come on, you’re up next.”

  Stryg’s eyes widened. He glanced at the pitiful excuse for a short sword in his hand, “Oh, shit.”

  Gale dashed at him in a blur of gold and silver. Stryg raised his blade just in time to parry the quick thrust. She took a quick step back and slashed at him. Stryg dropped low, doding the blow. He pushed his legs forward with all the strength he could muster, flying like an arrow straight at Gale’s knee.

  The vampiress jumped above the attack, twisted in the air, and landed safely on the other side. Stryg skipped across the ground in a clumsy roll. He pushed himself to his feet to face his opponent, but Gale was already on him, her blade coming down on his head.

  Orange mana flooded his legs, the veins darkened, agility magic coming to life. He kicked away, barely evading the attack. He tried to put space between them, but Gale stayed on him, her blade a flurry of blinding attacks. Stryg’s eyes followed each stroke, but he could not react in time. Compared to her, Stryg felt as if he was moving underwater, his body sluggish.

  The wooden blades scratched off each other, his innate strength winning over. Gale’s blade twisted instantly and slashed below, smacking into his ribs. Stryg winced in pain and tried counterattacking. Gale was already serving another two strikes at his forearm and hip. His stance was broken and he stumbled. She finished with a long swipe across his legs. His vision swam and he suddenly found himself staring at the evening sky.

  “Tsk, tsk. What did I tell you about using magic during training?” Gale shook her head.

Stryg stayed quiet, content to stay still. His aching muscles agreed.

  Gale glanced between both her students’ prone bodies, “Come on guys, get up. You can’t stay on the ground forever.”

  “I’d beg to differ,” Clypeus grumbled.

Stryg said nothing.

  “Neither of you plan on getting up, do you?” Gale crossed her arms.

“I prefer going to sleep with only a half a dozen bruises, thank you very much,” Clypeus said.

  “Ugh, lazy brat,” Gale groaned.

  “I don’t get it, I can’t even dodge properly with an agility spell. I mean you didn’t even use magic, how does that make sense?” Stryg muttered to himself.

  “It’s called skill. Swordplay, to be precise. Y’know, the thing I’ve been trying to teach you two for the past few months?” She said.

  Stryg glanced at his wooden shortsword, “I want my spear, not this little flat stick.”

  Gale looked over her own blade, checking for any imperfections. “A long sword is too big for you and it’s a lot harder to learn to use two blades at once. It took Clypeus years before he finally managed to dual wield his gladii.”

  “I don’t even want a sword. All I wanted was to learn how to dodge a sword, not fight with one,” Stryg sighed.

  “And I didn’t want an ungrateful brat as a student, but here we are,” Gale snapped. “You want to learn how to defend against a sword properly? Then learn how to use one. Honestly, you should count yourself lucky. Do you know how many people would kill just to have a chance at learning under a Gale sword master, let alone a grandmaster?”

  “Lucky me,” Stryg groaned in pain.

  “Why do I even waste my time with you lazy nitwits? I should be like my uncle and teach one of the Veres children instead. At least they listen,” Gale threw her blade on the ground and walked away. “Be sure to be here before dawn. I’ll make sure to teach you how to dodge a sword then, even if I have to beat it into you.”

  “...Shit,” Stryg closed his eyes.

Clypeus looked over from across the ground, “It gets easier, you know.”

  “Really?” Stryg asked.

“No, not at all.”

  “Shit.”

“Pretty much.”

 

https://discord.gg/uYqw7R6SKz
  If you liked the chapter please leave a like, if there is something else you are interested in knowing about the lore, or if you have any questions, remarks, or just want to say hi drop a comment below!

  Check out the glossary for more info on characters, lore, magic, and more!

138