Chapter 194: Midnight Funeral
2.9k 13 124
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 194: Midnight Funeral

 

  Elzri glanced out the carriage’s window and sighed, “It seems the messenger carrying news of Clypeus Gale’s death arrived safely.”

  Stryg swallowed the lump in his throat, “Are those people outside his family?”

  “Precisely,” Elzri said. “Both House Veres and House Gale are at the gate. This is a funeral procession. They are here to take Clypeus’ body home.”

  “They’ll probably bury him at midnight,” Loh guessed. “It’s the custom for vampire funerals.”

  “You two, stay in the carriage. I’ll go talk with them,” Elzri opened the door and walked out of the carriage without waiting for a response.

  A look of uncertainty crossed Stryg’s face.

  “They sound angry,” he mumbled.

  Loh rubbed his back, “It’s going to be fine. They aren’t here to fight us. They just want their son’s body.”

  Stryg clenched his eyes shut, “I can hear Cly’s sister. Her voice is cracking, she’s trying not to cry, but she’s clearly in pain.”

  Loh sighed wearily, “Everyone has to cry once in a while. Gale VIII is one of the strongest people I know, she’ll get through this.”

  “Nora is outside. She’s crying too. They’re all crying because of me...”

  “You're not the one who killed Clypeus, that was the warlord Marek.”

  Stryg’s shoulders trembled, “But I led everyone to him. Had I just remembered the right cliff, none of this would have happened.”

  Loh grimaced, “...You shouldn’t be listening to any of that stuff outside. Cover your ears.”

  He slowly raised his arms and cupped his hands over his ears. Loh wrapped her arms around him and nestled her face into his silver hair. She sang a mellow tune to blot out the noise.

  Stryg still heard their cries…

~~~

  Lord Elzri Noir respectfully gave Clypeus’ body over to Lord Gale and Lord Veres. Gale warriors gently placed Clypeus into an obsidian coffin with silver trimmings and carried him away. Soldiers carrying the banner of House Gale and House Veres followed in their footsteps, the rest of the procession followed closely behind.

  Summer had arrived and despite the late hour the sun still loomed at the edge of the horizon. The vampires were forced to wear thick dark cloaks to block the irritating sunlight.

  The commoners milling through the streets scurried away at the sight of the dark procession. The roads in the surrounding area quickly became empty. The world fell quiet save for the cries of the bereaved.

  Like all of Hollow Shade’s Great Houses, House Veres’ estate was located in the Villa District. The opulent mansion stood next to House Gale’s own estate, with a large garden maze seated in between both estates. At the center of the maze lay the shared cemetery of both Houses.

  By the time the funeral procession had walked through the city’s outer districts and arrived at the Villa District, the sun had set. 

  House Veres’ servants rushed to prepare the final arrangements for the burial that would take place later in the evening.

  The funeral would be a private affair, with only family and close friends invited. While the invitations had been sent abruptly, not a single invitee failed to show up. Each carriage arrived an hour before midnight and lined down the street patiently, waiting their turn to reach the Veres front gate and be allowed inside the estate.

  Stryg hid around the corner, wrapped in a dark cloak and a mantle of chromatic black shadows. The spell placed a heavy strain on his injured heart, but he stayed quiet and bided his time, searching for the right guest. After half an hour he spotted the luxurious carriage.

  Stryg stayed low to the ground and ran to the carriage with quiet footsteps. He hopped onto one of the carriage’s stairs and knocked on the door. 

  The curtain behind the door’s window shifted, a small pale face peeked out. Her red eyes widened with surprise at the sight of the blue goblin.

  The driver and guards sitting at the front turned at the noise. They jumped off and made their way to Stryg.

  One of the guards drew his sword. “Who’s there!?” 

  Maeve swung the carriage door open, “Don’t ask. Go back and sit with the coachman upfront, that’s an order.” 

  The guards nodded reluctantly and left.

  Maeve glanced around the street before she ushered Stryg inside. He nodded his thanks and climbed inside the carriage. Maeve closed the door and locked it with a latch. Stryg released the shadow spell and breathed a sigh of relief.

  He smiled weakly, “Hello, Lady Mora. You look nice.”

  Maeve wore a black frilled dress with a high collar and a low-cut that ended right above her flat stomach. 

  She crossed her thin arms, “Take a seat and tell me what’s going on.”

  Stryg nodded and sat across from her. “I heard that the funeral is only by invitation. I’m clearly not invited, so I was hoping you might help me get in.”

  Maeve rubbed her temple and groaned, “Stryg, this isn’t some random aristocrat’s party. You shouldn’t be trying to sneak in. Clypeus Gale has died.”

  “I know that. I know…” He clenched his fists tightly and smiled bitterly, “That’s why I need to go.”

  Maeve wrinkled her brow, she sniffed the air. It was faint, but the intoxicating scent was there, hybrid’s blood. She leaned across the small aisle and sniffed Stryg. He looked at her curiously.

  Maeve pushed his cloak aside and lifted his shirt. His chest was covered in bandages, a few spots of blood stained the cotton.

  She frowned, “You’re bleeding.”

  He pulled his shirt down, “I’m still healing, I’ll be fine.”

  Maeve sat back, “I heard Cly’s class got lost while out in Dusk Valley. In the end, they were attacked by the Cairn Tribe. Stryg, were you in that class?”

  He looked away in shame, “...I was one of the few that actually survived. I wasn’t able to keep Cly among that number.”

  She bit her lip, “There are rumors… That someone led the class and got them all lost. Stryg, are you saying…?”

  “Can you get me inside the estate or not?”

  “Yeah, I can,” she sighed. “The Veres guards will only check my invitation, they won’t look inside the carriage. Once we’re inside what are you going to do? If you attend the funeral people will see you and I don’t know if you’re aware, but you kind of stand out.”

  “I’ll keep my hood on and I’ll watch from afar. I don’t need to talk with anyone there, I just want to pay my respects, even if it's from a distance.”

  “Is that normal in Sylvan culture?”

  “No... but Cly wasn’t Sylvan.”

  Maeve nodded reluctantly, “Right.”

~~~

  The burial happened at midnight. The downcast attendees watched solemnly as the obsidian coffin was buried next to deceased Gale ancestors. Most of the attendees gathered were of the Gale family, whose numbers ranged in the dozens. Each member of the Veres family was here as well, although excluding Lord Veres IX’s wives, there were only six living members of the Ruling Family.

  Stryg watched the funeral proceedings from inside one of the garden’s hedges. Once inside the estate, Stryg and Maeve had waited until all the other guests had gone to the cemetery. Maeve then guided Stryg through the garden maze. Right before they reached the cemetery, Stryg had left her side and hid in a nearby hedge.

  Many people spoke during the funeral, including Lord Veres and Lord Gale. Most of the ones who spoke were Clypeus’ family, his cousins, uncles, aunts, and older sister, Gale. 

  Stryg felt a needle of pain dig into his chest after each one spoke, by the end, he could hardly breathe. It was as if he was witnessing the physical manifestation of his failures, of his inability to have succeeded the one time his best friend had needed him.

  Clypeus’ mother spoke last or at least she tried to. Her voice was a bundle of shattered love, pain oozed out of her mumbling as she broke down in tears. 

  Stryg wanted to run over, he wanted to apologize for his failure, he wanted to say that Clypeus had been the best of friends, he wanted to say all of this and so much more, but he wouldn’t get the chance. There was no way they’d let him through once they realized who he was.

  Sylvan goblins were not meant to cry and even if they could, Stryg did not deserve the chance. He may not have killed Clypeus, but to him, Clypeus’ death was still his fault. He deserved to suffer alone.

  As the burial ceremony ended, the guests wandered about the cemetery. Some walked over to Clypeus’ grave and simply stood there, holding each other in their arms as they cried. Others visited the graves of past Gales and Vereses. Most spoke to one another in small hushed whispers, exchanging greetings and condolences.

  Gale approached Nora and gave a short nod, “I’ve been hoping to get a chance to talk to you.”

  Nora’s lips formed a strained smile, “Is this about what I told your mother this afternoon?”

  “Indeed,” she nodded. “I’d rather have my mother talk to you about this, gods know she is better at these sorts of emotional things than I, but as you can see she is currently... distraught.”

  “Aren’t we all?” Nora wiped the tears from her face.

  Gale cleared her throat, “...Yes, but I am a Shield of Veres. We’re taught to hide these things well and to function until we have a chance for respite. This is not the time to rest, as House Gale’s heir I must be strong for my family.”

  “Always a paragon of strength, huh? Cly used to say that about you,” Nora smiled bitterly.

  “Cly overestimated me,” Gale wrung her hands together, her voice cracked. “...Nora, my brother left you when you needed him most. On behalf of my family, I want you to know that we will take care of you and the baby in whatever way you need.”

  She shook her head, “I appreciate it, I really do, but I have everything I need. With all due respect, I will raise my child as a member of House Azol; they will grow up away from the influence of House Gale’s legacy.”

  “My brother is that child’s father,” Gale frowned. “Your child is a Gale, whether you want them to be or not.”

  “I don’t care what tradition dictates,” Nora scowled. “My child will not sacrifice their life to be a Shield of Veres.”

  Gale stared at her, voice quiet. She nodded solemnly, “I understand. As heir of my House, I will relay your message to my lord. But as the aunt of your child, I want you to know I will be there for both of you whenever and wherever you need me, this I swear on Clypeus’ name.”

  Nora blinked, “...Thank you.”

  Stryg found himself smiling, Nora seemed to have her own tribe in the shape of House Azol, and with the help of Gale, he was sure she and the baby would be okay.

  Stryg spotted Callum standing next to a gravestone away from all the other guests. A young woman walked over to him. She had jet black hair and the same beguiling scarlet eyes as Callum. Stryg guessed they were related.

  Elise wrapped her arm around Callum’s shoulder, “We should head inside, little brother. Father has arranged a feast for the guests, most of them are already beginning to make their way there now.”

  “Mm,” Callum mumbled.

  She gently bumped his head with her own, “...You probably haven’t gotten a chance to get some proper rest since you left on that awful trip. I bet you a hot bath, a couple of beautiful women and their delicious blood will help you relax. Should I send some of the prettiest maids up to your room?”

  Callum brushed his fingers over the gravestone. 

  “When my mother died I was just a newborn,” he whispered quietly. “I had no control, I couldn’t prevent her death. And I hated it, I hated how she was gone because of me and there was nothing I could have done to save her.”

  He chuckled weakly, “When I was a kid I used to spend afternoons standing here, in front of my mother’s grave.”

  “I remember,” Elise smiled reminiscently. “I had to drag you back inside on rainy days so you wouldn’t catch a cold.”

  He swallowed, “...I used to stand here and dream, believe, that one day, I would be powerful enough to save the ones I cared about. Yet, here I am. Cly is dead and I am still useless.”

  “I thought you didn’t like Clypeus? I’m certain he didn’t like you.”

  “We weren’t really friends if that’s what you mean. But he was honorable and a good man, and an even better warrior. He stayed behind to keep my classmates and me safe.”

  Elise shook her head, “Clypeus was a Gale, they are the Shields of Veres. His death was unexpected, true, but it should not have been a surprise to you. It was bound to happen one day or another, such is life for House Gale.”

  Callum stepped away and frowned, “How can you be so dismissive about his death? The Gales put their lives on the line for us each and every day. They don’t have to, but they choose to, that’s the reality. The least we can do is show some bloody respect.”

  Elise rolled her eyes, “Fine, you want to talk about reality? Clypeus’ duty was to protect you and you alone. The moment the Cairn showed up, he should have thrown the lives of your classmates out of the equation. His only priority should have been to your safety. Instead he chose, chose, to stay behind to protect all of your class and a bunch of commoners.”

  Callum glared at her, “He was trying to keep us safe. He died keeping us safe.”

  Elise poked him in the chest, “No, Lord Noir kept you safe. Clypeus should have gotten someone else to stay behind. He should have stayed by your side, as was his obligation as the Shield of Veres. Had he done that he would still be alive with the rest of you. The reality is Clypeus failed at the one thing he had been trained for his entire life, to be a Shield of Veres. He was a failure, that is why he died.”

  “You motherfucker!” Stryg roared.

  He ran out of the bush and charged at a surprised Elise. Callum jumped in between them and grabbed him.

  “What are you doing here?!” Callum whispered angrily. “It’s dangerous! You need to leave!”

  Stryg glared at Elise, “Clypeus Gale was the bravest warrior I have ever known! He held back the warlord Marek until his dying breath. He gave his classmates, including Cal, the precious few moments they needed for Lord Noir to arrive. Had it not been for Cly we would have all died. He protected us! If you can’t see how great of a Shield of Veres Clypeus Gale was then you don’t deserve to fucking utter his name!”

  Elise smiled wryly, “And who might you be, intruder? Why don’t you take off that hood? I’d love to get to know the man brave enough to insult me.”

  “Get out of here, dammit!” Callum whispered into Stryg’s ears.

  Stryg shoved him aside and hissed.

  He understood why Callum didn’t want him here. They all blamed him for Clypeus’ death, but it still hurt to hear Callum say so.

  An elder vampire ambled over to them. He sported a well-groomed grey beard and despite his clear age, he walked with a straight back. The crow’s feet around his cheeks wrinkled as he narrowed his scarlet eyes.

  Gian Gale held his hands clasped behind his back and bowed to Elise and Callum, “Is there a problem here, little Cal? Is this hooded stranger causing you trouble?”

  Callum’s face paled, “Um, wel-”

  “Yes, the intruder has threatened me,” Elise interjected. “I’d like him apprehended immediately,” 

  Gian nodded politely, “As you wish, Elise.” He blinked, “Oh, he’s a fast one, isn’t he? Gone already. Not to worry, he won’t get far.”

  “Wait, Gian, don’t worry about him. It’s fine, really,” Callum said frantically.

  “Do not stress, little Cal,” said Gian. “I’ll take care of the intruder.”

  The elder vampire dashed into the maze before Callum could say anything else.

~~~

  Stryg had run away the moment Gian had opened his mouth. He didn’t need to hear what the vampire had to say. From just one look, Stryg knew this old man was dangerous.

  Stryg dived through a hedge wall, closed his eyes as the branches scratched at his skin, and rolled out on the other side. He pushed himself to his feet and ran down the maze paths. His heart pulsed with pain, the spear wound in his chest had torn open. He didn’t have time to check his condition, he needed to get out of here as quickly as possible.

  He turned the corner and froze in his steps. The old vampire stood in his path, sword in hand.

  Gian brandished the blade in a light twirl, “I advise you not to run, trespasser.”

  Stryg glanced around, there was nowhere to escape. His wound had opened and his heart was still healing. It had taken everything he had to cast the shadow spell earlier. His body couldn’t handle another spell in his condition.

  Stryg cursed under his breath. He had been stupid to jump out of the hedge and expose himself. Now he was in danger and he was helpless. He really was a failure.

  Gian pointed his sword at him, “This evening has been a very difficult night for my family, we do not have time to deal with upstart intruders like you. Remove your hood and come with me quietly if you do not wish to die.”

  Stryg licked his lips, “I’m sorry for trespassing. I didn’t mean to disrespect your family.”

  “Take off the hood, I won’t ask again.”

  Stryg sighed. With reluctant movements, he raised his hands and pulled his hood down. The moonlight bathed his grey hair in a silver glow. 

  Stryg watched the elder vampire wearily.

  Gian stood stock-still, he stared at the goblin with wide-open eyes. His sword trembled in his hand. He slowly lowered the blade and opened his mouth, yet no sound came out.

  Stryg’s eyes burned, he couldn’t afford to show tears in front of an enemy. He sniffed and brushed his forearm across his face, “I didn’t mean to disrespect House Gale or bring your family any more trouble. I only wanted to say goodbye... to Cly.”

  “I, uh... I understand,” Gian slid his blade back into its sheath.

  Stryg watched him cautiously, he wasn’t certain if the vampire had decided to kill him or not.

  Gian swallowed, “Did… Did you know Clypeus well?”

  Stryg nodded bitterly.

  “Were you two friends?”

  “...The best of friends,” he whispered.

  The vampire narrowed his eyes, “What is your name?”

  “Stryg of Ebon Hollow.”

  Gian’s eyes widened and his throat tightened, “...Stryg?”

  “Yes?”

  “...Where are you from, Stryg?”

  Stryg stayed quiet, wary of the vampire’s strange demeanor.

  Gian took a step back and nodded to himself, “I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to pry. I simply wanted to know where my nephew's best friend hails from.”

  “You’re Cly’s uncle?”

  “Technically, I am his great, great uncle, but yes, Clypeus was my nephew.”

  He nodded reluctantly, “I was born in Vulture Woods, to the Sylvan tribe of Blood Fang.”

  “...Bloodfang?”

  Gian suddenly recalled his conversation with Callum several months prior. The young man had asked various questions regarding the Blue Rose, Lady Stryga Veres. Callum had seemed so uncertain back then. And now he had tried stopping Gian from chasing the intruder.

  Gian stroked his beard in deep thought. “...I see,” he muttered.

  “What?” Stryg wrinkled his button nose.

  “May I ask one last question, Stryg? Were you the one who was with Clypeus when he fell?”

  He bit his lower lip, his eyes full of regret. “...Yes, it was my fault. I’m sorry.”

  Gian closed his eyes tight and took a shaky breath. After a long moment, he opened his eyes and smiled ruefully, “No matter what anyone else tells you, what happened to Clypeus was not your fault.”

  Stryg blinked, “Why would you say that? I got us lost, we were caught by the Cairn Tribe because of me. You should hate me.”

  “That’s where you’re wrong. Clypeus was the best of us, of that, there is no doubt. He lived and died the same way as our founder, as an Unfaltering Shield. That is something to be proud of, not ashamed.”

  Cly’s last words echoed in Stryg’s mind, I am the Shield of my friend.

  Stryg’s eyes burned, but he tried his best not to cry. He swallowed the lump in his throat and rubbed his eyes.

  Gian knelt in front of Stryg and looked up at him, “You may not truly grasp the full extent of my words, but one day, when it is safe, when you are ready, I will explain. Until then, I will be there when you need me and even when you don't, I swear to you on my life.”

  Stryg frowned, “Why? I don’t understand.”

  Gian smiled half-heartedly, “I know. For now, let’s get you out of here without anyone else noticing.”

 

 

  https://discord.gg/uYqw7R6SKz

  If you liked the chapter please leave a like, if there is something else you are interested in knowing about the lore, or if you have any questions, remarks, or just want to say hi drop a comment below!

  Check out the glossary for more info on characters, lore, magic, and more!

124