Chapter 197: Prologue ~ Dying Wish
2.8k 7 103
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 197: Prologue ~ Dying Wish

 

  Elzri Noir slumped forward, his arms resting on his knees, exhausted. He sat in a chair in the corner of his father’s lavish bedroom. Usually, Elzri’s interest would be caught on one of the dozens of relics lying about the room, mementos of his father’s many journeys as an adventurer in his youth. 

  Elzri wanted to be like his father, Alastair, exploring the Ebon Realm, fighting monsters, finding treasures, and helping people. He was going to do all of that and more together with Ismene.

  Now, all Elzri could think, all he could hear, was his little sister’s broken voice as she cried over their father. Una kneeled next to Alastair’s bed. Her ragged voice echoed through the room in cracked gasps. The poison had left Alastair weak, he couldn’t even stand. Instead, he simply ran his hand through Una’s white hair.

  Aiden burst through the doors and skidded to a halt. He wore battle armor and was covered in sweat. His grey face was flushed several shades darker. Elzri recalled that his older brother had left this morning with the western army for an expedition near Glimmer Grove Forest. The messenger must have found Aiden outside the city’s shade walls. Had Aiden ridden back without stopping?

  Aiden’s face paled as he took in the sight of the room and his father. The usually powerful and commanding Alastair was gaunt and feeble, a hollow shell of his former self.

  Aiden ran over to his father’s side, across from Una, and grabbed Alastair’s other hand.

  Aiden’s eyes were filled with tears, his voice cracked, “I came as soon as I heard. Are you alright? How are you feeling?”

  Alastair wrinkled his brow, “...Why are you here? You’re supposed to be leading our western army.”

  Aiden laughed, a painful, fractured noise, “It’s always duty first with you, dad. The army will be fine, they can handle themselves. Right now, there are bigger things to worry about. Who did this to you?”

  “It was one of the maids,” Elzri muttered.

  Aiden looked up in surprise, “Elz? Why are you all the way in the corner? You know what? It doesn’t matter. Tell me more about this maid.”

  “She was new,” Elzri said. “She had only been working at the mansion for a little over a year. This morning she served us tea and snacks in dad’s office. The tea was laced with poison.”

  Aiden frowned, “Us? You were there?”

  Elzri nodded, “So was Una, briefly. Fortunately, neither of us drank the tea. Only dad...”

  “I should have stayed. I shouldn’t have left daddy and Riri alone,” Una mumbled through her tears.

  “It’s not your fault, Una,” Aiden shook his head. “Where is the maid now, Elz? Captured? Tell me she didn’t escape.”

  Elzri sighed, “Worse, she’s dead. The guards found her body in one of the halls. Our white, black, and red magi examined her corpse. They all concluded that she died from the same poison she administered this morning.”

  “Suicide?” Aiden muttered. “She didn’t want to be captured and tortured? Or maybe someone didn’t want her to talk?”

  “I’m inclined to believe the latter,” Elzri said grimly. “Our red mage alchemists inspected the poison. It’s like nothing they have ever seen. It doesn’t appear in any of their records. The poison is very powerful and also full of red mana. There’s no way an ordinary maid could have afforded it. Someone wanted to kill our father and possibly the rest of us.”

  Aiden clenched his jaw, “House Noir is in danger. We need to fortify our defenses. I want every person who has been in the mansion in the past two weeks to be questioned. Don’t allow any servant or personnel who came this morning to leave until I say so. If the mastermind behind this left any trace of their assassination attempt, we will find it.”

  The sound of heels click-clacking on the stone floor echoed in the hall. Elzri and Aiden turned to the doorway. Their sister, Esletha, walked in. She was dressed in a form-fitting black dress, with white trimming. She glanced about the room with a calm demeanour, worthy of an aristocrat.

  Aiden glared at her, “What are you doing here?”

  Esletha shuddered mockingly, “Oh, sorry, big brother, where else was I supposed to be? Playing soldier like you?”

  Aiden pointed an accusing finger at her, “I meant what are you doing here now? Dad was poisoned! I was outside of the city and I still managed to get here before you. Where were you? Tell us what was so important that you couldn’t get here earlier!?”

  Esletha crossed her arms, “I was training in my private quarters. Unlike the rest of you, I actually have the talent to become an arch-mage like our father. I always tell my servants to not interrupt me while I’m training. Obviously, this incident should have been an exception, the butlers and maids on duty today will be punished accordingly.”

  “Incident?” Aiden spat. “That’s what you call this? As if it was just some small ordinary occurrence? Our father, Lord Alastair Noir, arch-mage and leader of our House, was poisoned! Someone tried to kill our father!”

  Esletha rolled her eyes, “Get a grip. Dad will be fine. Once he recuperates we can conduct a thorough cleansing of the mansion and weed out any accomplices. House Noir will have its revenge and we will show the world why no one should ever fuck with us.”

  Elzri covered his face in shame, “That’s not true.”

  Esletha glared at him, “What? Do you think us weak? Cowardly? Just because you lack talent and will, I assure you we do not. This assassination attempt will not go unpunished.”

  “...That’s not it. The poison...” Elzri took a deep breath. He couldn’t bear to look at his siblings. “The poison was unknown and very potent, the white mage healers had never seen anything like it. They couldn’t tell how the poison worked. No matter what they tried, they were unable to cleanse the poison from dad’s body entirely until it was too late.”

  Esletha swallowed, “Wh-what are you saying?”

  Elzri broke down in tears, “...They tried their best, they really did, but the healing spells weren’t enough. Dad’s internal organs were damaged beyond repair... He is dying and there’s nothing we can do to stop it.”

  Esletha’s eyes widened in shock, she stumbled back. Una buried her face in Alastair’s chest and cried.

  Aiden gripped Alastair’s hand, “They’re wrong, dad. All those healers were wrong. We’ll find more healers, better ones. We’ll find a white arch-mage, they’ll surely be able to heal you. Don’t worry, dad.”

  “It’s no use, my son,” Alastair said faintly. “I can feel it. I am not long for this world.”

  Aiden forced himself to smile through his tears, “You’re being pessimistic. We’re here with you now, just focus on getting through this.”

  “I’m sorry, I’m so sorry, I couldn’t heal you,” Elzri cried bitterly.

  “It’s not your fault, Elz,” Aiden said. “You’re only an adept and the results of your white probe-testing were so faint, you're barely considered a chromatic white at all. You couldn’t have done anything.”

  “I’m just happy Riri was there with daddy when it happened,” Una sniffed.

  “Agreed,” Aiden nodded.

  Elzri bit his lip and stayed quiet.

  Esletha cleared her throat, “Dad… Who will lead us when you are gone?”

  Aiden shot to his feet, “What the fuck, Esletha! Do you really want to do this now? Our father is dying and you want to talk about succession!”

  “It’s because he is dying that we must talk about it!” Esletha yelled. “If he leaves without telling us his will, then this House will fall into chaos. No one wants that!”

  Aiden glared at her, “You heartless bitch!” 

  “Both of you stop,” Alastair sighed. “Aiden, your sister is right. It is time I put my affairs in order once and for all.”

  “...What?” Aiden mumbled.

  Alastair caressed Una’s wet cheek, “My youngest and brightest child. You are full of hope and life. Please, no matter what happens, do not lose that inner light.”

  Una cried and hugged him tight.

  “To Una,” Alastair said. “I grant our southern estate in the hills of Dusk Valley.”

  “No, I won’t accept it,” Una cried. “I don’t want you to die!”

  “Una,” Alastair smiled weakly. “I know you used to love visiting the apple orchards and playing in the flower beds in the southern estate. Let it be a place of respite from all the darkness of this city. Please, take it.”

  Una sniffed and nodded glumly.

  “Thank you. Aiden, come closer,” Alastair said.

  “Yes, father.” Aiden grabbed his hand and leaned in close.

  “My eldest and bravest child, I am so proud of the man you have become. You have conducted yourself with honor and courage. I can see no one better to take up the mantle of-”

  “Father, wait!” Esletha yelled. “He is only a master mage! House Noir is and has always been a Mage House. We are the blood of Mage Lords and Ladies. Aiden will never hold that title of Mage Lord, he doesn’t have the talent, but I do! I should be your successor!”

  Aiden raised an eyebrow, “I thought this is what you wanted, Esletha, to hear our father’s will?”

  “For once in your life, will you two stop fighting!” Una screamed. “Our dad is in pain. He’s dying and all you two can do is bicker about the family leadership. Just shut the fuck up!”

  Aiden and Esletha stopped, stunned. They had never seen Una so angry.

  Alastair chuckled softly, “As I was saying. Aiden, I can see no one better to take up the mantle of commanding general of all of House Noir’s armies.”

  Aiden’s jaw went slack, “Huh?”

  Esletha smiled wide, “I could not agree more, father. Aiden has proven himself a capable general. His skills will be best put to use as commanding general, protecting House Noir and its family leader.”

  “Dad, please, think about this,” Aiden pleaded.

  “I have spoken,” Alastair said curtly. “Elzri, get off that chair and come here.”

  Elzri shambled over with dragging steps. He reached his father’s bedside, but he couldn’t bring himself to look at him, “Father, pleas-”

  Alastair gripped his hand tight, “Elzri, my 2nd youngest and most stubborn child. I am not angry with you, nor am I disappointed, I am grateful to you. And I am filled with sorrow because you will carry the heaviest burden of all and for that, I am truly sorry.”

  “Father, don’t,” Elzri whispered.

  Alastair clasped both his hands around Elzri’s, “Your journey will be difficult and there will be times you will want to give up, but you mustn't no matter the cost to yourself. It is up to you now, my son. You must protect our legacy, our family, and our people.”

  “Father, what are you saying exactly?” Esletha asked uncertainly.

  “I, Alastair Noir, name you Elzri Noir, to be my successor as leader of this family, and guardian of House Noir.”

  Elzri closed his eyes tight in defeat. 

  Una gasped.

  “My gods,” Aiden chuckled bitterly.

  “W-what did you say?” Esletha laughed hysterically. “You must be joking! Father, Elzri is the least talented among us. He isn’t a mage duelist, nor does he have military training. He doesn’t even know the politics of the aristocrats, let alone the concealed inner workings of the Ruling Families!”

  “Which is why I am appointing you as his chief advisor,” Alastair said resolutely. “As his right hand you will advise and guide him through the treacherous high society of Hollow Shade.”

  “I don’t understand. Why Elzri!” Elsetha screamed.

  “I have spoken. Leave, now. I am tired,” Alastair leaned back and closed his eyes.

  “Come, Esletha, our father has spoken,” Aiden smirked.

  Una bowed to Elzri, “Congratulations, Riri.”

  “Please don’t say that,” Elzri grimaced.

  “YOU!” Esletha pointed an accusing finger at Elzri. “What did you do to our father!”

  Elzri raised his hands in surrender, “No, it’s not like that.”

  The doors opened, Alastair’s three wives came in. Esletha’s mother grabbed her daughter and pulled her away. Aiden helped drag his screaming sister out of the room. Aiden’s own mother rushed to her husband’s bedside and sat with him.

  Elzri stared at his father with a mixture of guilt and pain. He didn’t know what to say.

  Alastair opened his eyes and looked at him, “Protect them, Elzri. Protect all of them.”

  Elzri’s mother gently grabbed him by the arm, “Come now, Riri, your father needs his rest.”    

  “Our mom is right, Riri,” Una nodded. “We should let him rest.”

  Elzri reluctantly turned away and walked out of the bedroom with Una by his side. The doors closed behind them.

  It was the last time Elzri saw his father. Alastair Noir passed away in his sleep that night.

 

 

  https://discord.gg/uYqw7R6SKz

  If you liked the chapter please leave a like, if there is something else you are interested in knowing about the lore, or if you have any questions, remarks, or just want to say hi drop a comment below!

  Check out the glossary for more info on characters, lore, magic, and more!

103