Fire Heart Chapter 4.5
221 1 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 4.5

 

I sat outside of Captain Montague's office, awaiting his summons.  It was unusual for him to call upon me-or indeed any of the rank and file so early in the morning so I could only assume that something had gone wrong in the barracks, as it had the last time he had summoned me.

 

I smiled ruefully as I remembered how my rare skill had been put to task…helping the men build a new latrine after a drunken mage set the old one on fire.

 

I’d already been here for five years, but I hadn’t been able to rise through the ranks much. All I really had going for me was a single rare skill, but I knew I would need to become much stronger If I was ever going to make something of myself in this army.

 

As I wondered how I could possibly gain more power, Captain Montague finally said “Enter, Corporal Lanshire.”

 

Captain Montague’s command quarters were sparsely furnished, save for the few trophies he had brought with him.  Mounted on the wall were parts of the monsters he was most proud about slaying, including the horns of a lesser demon, the eyes of a gorgon, and the head of a monster I myself had taken part in hunting down.  It was massive, as large as a man's torso, and its scales were an awry shade of bone white.

 

The captain caught me staring at it and said, reminiscing “I remember that hunt. You weren’t here but a week when I asked you to come along. Hell of a first mission, eh boy?”

 

“Yes sir.” I said, remembering how the beast had engulfed Captain Montague in flames. I had seriously thought the captain had died, but he’d just shrugged off the fire like it was nothing.

 

That was the kind of strength it took to be a captain. Of course, the fight had still been a difficult one after that. There was no simple way to kill a dragon, but ultimately we were able to kill it without losing a single man. I’d like to think that my <Protector of the Weak> played a role in that.

 

This particular dragon had been terrorizing the towns around the Forlorn Forest, killing and eating both people and livestock. As such we had been dispatched by the local lord to put an end to the beast.

 

“It was a good thing we killed the beast when we did, if those eggs had hatched I couldn’t imagine the havoc eight young dragons and their mother could wreak on this country.” the captain said, a grave look coming over his face

 

“Yes Sir. It helps that their bodies are useful in potion crafting as well.” I said, remembering all the gold the wizards guild paid for the dragon corpses.

 

“Ha! True enough, I remember you used your share to buy a magic sword, yes? Most of these lads pissed theirs away on drink and women, but you?  You wanted something pragmatic…”The captain said, his tone lightening for a moment before returning to a more serious one.

 

“Do you know why I’ve called you here, Corporal?”  

 

“No Sir.” I said

 

“…why don’t you sit down, Robert.” the captain said, offering me a chair next to the wall.

 

Confused, I sat down and waited for Captain Montague to tell me what was going on. But instead of talking, he opened a drawer in his desk and pulled out a wine bottle, then proceeded to pour a glass. Rather than drink the amber liquid himself however, he handed it to me.

 

“Drink.” he ordered.

 

I obeyed, and when the wine glass was empty I handed it back to him. Finally, he spoke about why he had called me here.

 

“Your father and brother are dead.” he said, eyes narrowed on me.

 

For a moment I said nothing, as the shock left me dumbstruck.

 

Then I finally stammered out “Wha-What? No, why! What happened?!”

 

“Apparently a young dragon found its way onto your parents farm. Your father gathered up a posse to hunt it down, but every one of them were killed.  I was told there weren’t even bodies left to bury.”

 

I was dazed, rage and sadness had overcome me and all I could say was “Wha..but..Rickurd..how?”

 

“Your brother snuck out of the house while the posse was being formed.  They think he was trying to kill the dragon himself, but got caught up in the crossfire.  They didn’t find his body either…”

 

This was…how could this be?  Why would a dragon appear on my farm?  Were the gods of fate tormenting me and my family? First we got caught in Littleton when the wolves attacked, then I have to fight a dragon my first week here, and now I’ve lost my father and brother to yet another dragon? Why!? Why were these things happening to me!

 

“Dammit…DAMMIT!” I screamed, shouting my rage at the world for taking the ones I love most from me.

 

Dragons, Dire wolves, monsters! All that these beings existed to do was torment humanity. I wanted to wipe them all out and build a safe world for my kind! But they were everywhere. And they would keep taking everything I treasured if I didn’t put a stop to them. And it wasn’t just me, humans everywhere must have felt like this.  

 

“I will…I will kill them all! I won’t leave a single one! I’ll build a better world, where we don’t have to suffer like this anymore! Dragons, Demons and every other monster, they will all pay!”  I screamed, letting my anger and resolve reach the heavens themselves.

 

And the heavens answered back.

 

Skill Unlocked <Savior Lv.1>

-Must have the skill <Swordsman Lv.1> unlocked

-Must have the skill <Magic Swordsman Lv.1> unlocked

-Must have the skill <Archer Lv.1> unlocked

-Must have the skill <Protector of the Weak> unlocked

-Must be compatible with light magic

-Must have the unshakable resolve to save the innocent

 

A skill for those foolish and brave enough to promise the impossible, will thou be able to keep thine promise, even in the face of hellfire and brimstone?

 

-Ability (Holy Sword) Unlocked

-Ability (Holy Arrow) Unlocked

-Ability (Holy Slash) Unlocked

-Locked-

-Locked-

-Locked-

-Locked-

 

I gasped as the information flooded into my head, and heard Captain Montague to say “What happened boy, are you alright?”

 

“Y-Yes sir. I’ve just gotten a new skill.”

 

“What?” Captain Montague said, stunned.

 

I didn’t need to ask why. Getting a skill after going through a traumatic event was rare, and skills gained this way were usually extremely powerful.  Protector of the weak was one such skill, and it was why I was able to join the military under an esteemed leader like Captain Montague, despite being a peasant.

 

“Well out with it then boy, what is this new skill?”

 

“It-It’s called Savior-”

 

“WHAT!?” he shouted, genuinely shocked.

 

“Is that a bad thing?” I asked, wary

 

“No, it’s just…are you sure it’s that skill?”

 

“Yes, Sir.” I said, double checking to make sure.

 

Captain Montague stopped and put his head in his hands, rubbing his temples as if he were trying to calm a headache. After a moment he poured another glass of wine and downed it in one long drought.

 

When he finished, he said “Boy, do you have any idea what kind of a mess you’ve just made?”

 

“N-No, Sir?”

 

“Then let me tell you, that skill is the domain of heroes. Every human who has ever obtained it has had their name engraved in history.  If word about this power gets out, you will be beset upon all sides by people wanting to influence you.  Lords and ladies will offer you their daughters hands in marriage, the church will offer you wealth and fame to become their apostle and fight in their gods names and knights from all around will invite you to train under them, just to gain some modicum of control over the future hero.” he said, pouring another glass of wine.

 

After he had another drink he continued “And it won’t just be nobles and knights either.  You’ll be a target of infamy for monsters and criminals alike. Every two bit thug and glory seeking demon will seek you out, to kill you and build a reputation for themselves.  Foreign nobles will send men to capture you so they can have you fight for them, as a slave knight.  You may have gained yourself some incredible power, but you’ve also become a target. A target that I’m responsible for.”

 

It seems I had indeed caused Captain Montague quite the headache.  In my fervor to take revenge against the monsters I had unwittingly stumbled upon a miraculous power.  It was sure to bring me many troubles…

 

But it was worth it.  With this power I could ensure that nobody ever had to feel the pain I felt again, and humanity would finally be able to live free, no longer in fear of the things that go bump in the night.

 

“Father, Rickurd, this is for the two of you.  May you rest easy in Illumen's halls. May you feast from his table, and may you find pleasure from his minstrels. When next we meet I will look down with you upon a better world.”

 

I smiled then. Though dead I knew their spirits would live on, inside of me. 

 

“Have you lost your mind Robert, what is there to smile about right now?  You should be shaking, seeing as how you’ve got the whole world after you.”

 

“Sorry Sir. I’m just happy that my family’s deaths weren’t in vain. What happens next?”

 

“Next? Next I’ve got to write a report and pray to all seventeen of the gods that it gets to the King without anybody reading it.  As for you, you’re off duty until I get a response,  and you’re not to activate that skill until we get the say so from the king.”

 

“But sir, why take me off duty?”

 

“Idiot, do you still not realize how valuable you’ve become?  What would I tell the king if I sent you out on monster subjugation and you got ambushed by a minotaur? Besides, I’ve got something else I want you doing.  Report to me in the training yard tomorrow at daybreak.”

 

“The training yard, Sir? For what?”

 

“What do you think, boy?  I’ll be training you personally from now on.  You can’t go before the King and the Nobles with the experience and skill you’ve got now.  It would make the worst first impression and I’ll make you seem easily manipulated. I’ve taken it easy on you because you were only a rank and file soldier, but from here on out I hope you’re prepared to go through hell, Hero.”

 

Personal training from the dragon slaying captain himself? I couldn’t hide my giddiness. 

 

“Yes Sir!” I shouted, saluting Captain Montague

 

“Good, now you are dismissed!”

 

When I closed the door I let out a long exhale. So much had happened in the past few minutes that I was getting dizzy from it all. The only thing that I could really focus on was my promise.

 

For mother and father and Rickurd too, I’ll keep running forward, and I’ll make the world a safer place for everyone.

 

And one day I would avenge their deaths by slaying the dragon responsible.

 

11