Fire Heart Chapter 30
123 1 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

That night was a long one.  The sky was cloudless and the moon full, with not even the slightest breeze to ruffle the leafless forest canopy.  There, in that little clearing, Merry and I told our students everything.

 

They were a good audience, gasping and groaning and even shouting in all of the right places.  I hid nothing of my hatred towards humanity, nor did I try to obscure the fact that I had tortured and killed hundreds of people just to satisfy that hatred. I even admitted that I would likely do so again. I made no excuses for my actions, both because I wanted to take responsibility for them and because I could not bring myself to be sorry for what I had done.

 

Their reactions to that were mixed, but overall they did not condemn me for it.  Not when they themselves were burning with hatred for their previous owners.

 

I started the story by telling them about my old nest, and of the soldiers who came and murdered my first family.  Then I told them about Rickurd, and the men who came that murdered my second.

 

“That was the day I became a Demon Prince.”

 

“Because you watched your friend die?” Eri asked, eyes wet.

 

“Because it was my fault he died, if I had never gotten involved with him, Rickurd would not have died.  But I couldn’t accept that.  I wanted to have someone that I could call my friend, and so I callously let myself get attached to a human…” I sighed internally  “And after that I spent the next fifteen years alone, burning everything in my path until I one day heard a rumor about a fortress of dragons inside of the Great Forest…”

 

Next we told them of how I found the dragon stronghold, and within it, the one who would change my life forever.

 

“I am glad none of you has ever had to see me as I was back then…” Merry said “When Illumi first found me I was…” she tried to continue but her eyes became dead and cold.  Something that did not go unnoticed by the children.

 

“Master, you don’t have to talk about it if it’s too hard.  I…we understand.” Sylvia said

 

“…No.  No, I must do this.  For your sake, and for mine.” 

 

With that, Merry told them all about how she lived at the castle. The children were sympathetic towards her plight, as it mirrored their own.  They knew the loneliness and pain she felt.  They knew what it was like to be made to feel inferior to everyone around you.

 

“In the end I was reduced to quite a pitiful state.  I was starved, mute and unable to so much as walk until…” her eyes suddenly lit up with life again “My dear Illumen came.”

 

After that her story became much more lighthearted, as she waxed poetic about how I nursed her back to health and healed both her body and spirit.  More often than not, Merilyn took to describing my actions in a flowery and overly heroic way, which I found embarrassing.

 

And at some point in the story I could have sworn I overheard someone whisper “Damn it, how am I supposed to compete with that…”

 

The two of us then went on to describe our Master, Emperor Reyzo, Eise and the political struggle surrounding Merry and I as it was revealed that she was a Princess.

 

“You really are a princess then!?” Star said excitedly “And if you’re a Demon Prince then that means…”

 

“It means that, by rights, we could inherit the throne.” I finished, confirming her suspicions.

 

“Worthless…I would never want to rule over a bunch of dragons.” Merry spat out, surprising the children with the venom in her voice.

 

“You…don’t like dragons, Master?” Balor asked tepidly

 

“I do not.” she answered curtly, ending that discussion.

 

Finally, we told the children of how we escaped from the stronghold and made our way to Langrace. Where Merilyn strong armed me into letting her see a human settlement and how we were subsequently found by Scratch, Lyca and Benson.

 

“The rest, I think, you already know.” I said, finishing the story.

 

The children were all reacting in a myriad of different ways.  Balor and Eri were pensive as they thought over everything we had told them.  Scratch and Star were excitedly whispering to one another, with words like “Princess” and “Crazy magic” periodically becoming more audible.  Tia looked as though she was having an exhausting day and Sylvia was jumping between looking approvingly at me and sizing up Merry.  Lyca, surprisingly, was not her usual stoic self.  Rather, she seemed to be itching to ask us something.

 

“What is it Lyca?  There is no need to hold anything back right now.” I said

 

“It’s just…” she hesitated “I don’t understand.  After everything humans have done to you, and everything you have lost because of our kind…why would you help us? Sure, you got to learn a few Skills, but that’s not enough to justify the trouble you’ve taken on. It can’t just be because Merry told you to.”

 

“Hmm, why indeed?  Why did I help you kids when I could have just as easily taken Merry and abandoned you?…why did I help Merry when I could have left her alone and lived a fruitful life in the Dragon Stronghold?…why did I befriend Rickurd when I could have just left him and not had to deal with the trouble humans bring?  I always told myself that it was for my own personal gain, but maybe…just maybe…when I see faces like yours- so sad and weary of the world, maybe I am reminded of someone else.  Maybe I remember the way that person felt, about how all they wanted was a place in this world where they could be happy and belong.  And maybe, for all of you, I want that place to be beside me.  I am a monster.  I always have been and I always will be, but if I could, I would save you from becoming like me.”

 

“Master…”Sylvia said, smiling.

 

“If any of you want to know anything else, ask us in the future.  But right now I think there is one last thing Illumen wanted to tell you.” Merry said

 

“Ah, yes, I had almost forgotten.  Now that I know none of you are going to run away screaming the first time I get angry and transform into my true form, I believe it is time for me to pick out my Lieutenant.”

 

“Eh- right now?” Balor said, suddenly alarmed.  The others likewise were caught off guard by the sudden shift of the topic and were quickly trying to make themselves look more impressive by puffing out chests and straightening out their backs.

 

Raising my brow, I said “There is no need to be so stiff.  Even if I don’t make you my Lieutenant, all of you will be taking on the rolls of acting captains with their own squadrons.  There are too many people in our group now for just myself and one other person to command. Of course, all of you will report directly to the one I make my Lieutenant…that is, almost all of you.”

 

Though they loosened up a little, my children were still quite tense as they awaited the announcement.  To be honest, it was hard picking any one of them for the roll when they were all extremely capable, but in the end there was one standout…

 

“Scratch…”

 

“Wha-me!?” he shouted, looking incredulous.

 

You have shown tremendous wit and you excel in on-the-fly thinking. However, the position of lieutenant belongs to another.  Therefore I am making you the captain of our long range attack unit.  It will be your duty to make the best use of our Bowmen and to tactically guide them through the many battles we have ahead of us.  Do you accept this duty?”

 

“Y-Yes sir!” he shouted, now relieved.  I didn’t think he wanted to be Lieutenant, but with his skill a promotion was necessary.

 

“Tia.

 

“Yessir!” she shouted.

 

“You are an outstanding spear user, and you have proven to have extreme loyalty, both to me and to your comrades.  However, the position of lieutenant belongs to another…”

 

Like this I continued down the line of my students, making Tia the captain of our spear and pikemen squadron and both Star and Sylvie became captains of two swordsman units. And then…

 

“Eri…” I said.

 

“Yes sir.”

 

“…You know, this was the most difficult choice I had to make.  Between you and Balor, who would make the best left hand?  You are both supported by your peers, and have both scored the highest during our battle training.  Correct me if I’m wrong, but the last time you two sparred seriously it ended with a tie, yes?  You are both so evenly matched…However…”

 

“However?” she asked

 

“However…our magic squadron needs a captain.  And there is nobody more qualified for the position than you.  I hope you will not hold it against me.” I said

 

But Eri just smiled and replied “It would be an honor to serve as one of your captains, Master”

 

“I see.  To be honest I expected you to be a bit disappointed.”

 

“If there wasn’t any sound reasoning to your decision then I would of course object.  But as always, Master made the most logical choice for the position.  And since Balor isn’t particularly skilled at magic, I take it that my unit will be commanded by…?”

 

“Me, of course.”  Merry said

 

“Then I am in your care, Master.” She said, bowing.

 

In truth, Merry had asked for leadership over the Sorcerers as my right hand, and for me to make Merry their captain. I was planning to tell her about that after all of this, but she figured it out on her own.  

 

It almost made me regret giving Eri over to her.

 

“Oh well, at least I still have..”

 

“Balor.” I said

 

“Yes Master.” He said, without emotion.  Balor knew what was coming next, and he had the presence of mind not to act arrogantly about it.

 

“You are unquestionably the best fighter among your peers, and you have been raised up on their shields to serve as my Lieutenant.  You are charismatic, intelligent, you have shown yourself to be a competent commander during your training, and above all you have shown me unyielding loyalty and dedication.  You will make a fine Lieutenant.”

 

“Thank you Master I shall endeavor to always meet your expectations, and lead our army to many victories and…I will make you proud.” He said, blushing a little at the end.

 

“I know you will.” I answered “I know you all will.  My students, tomorrow is the start of the next chapter in your lives.  Things will get tougher from here on out.  You will have to contend with nearly insurmountable odds if you wish to win your freedom.  But I have faith in you, and if you ever need any help I am always going to be willing.  Now go- get some sleep, and reflect on everything that has happened here tonight.”

 

My students all bowed and turned to leave, but before they could I said “Ah, Lyca?  Could you stay behind?  There was something I wanted to talk to you about.”

 

“Illumi?” Merry said, questioning.

 

“You go ahead as well, my dear.  We won’t be long.”

 

She still looked concerned, but in the end she transformed back into her human form and followed behind the others.

 

“Now then.” I said, turning to Lyca.

 

“How can I serve you, Master?” She asked, 

 

“…How indeed?  You have performed well above the call of duty this last year, even going so far as to identify the problem children and take them under your wing.  You already command the Scouts, there was little reason to promote you to a position you already held.  Although I said Balor was my strongest fighter, I don’t think the two of you have ever sparred.  How do you believe you would fare against him?”

 

“Truthfully? I’ve seen the way he fights and I would win 7 out of 10 times.  He’s stronger, but he wastes too much movement.”

 

“Yes, I have thought as much.  And then there’s that.”

 

“That?” she said, puzzled.

 

“Come now, you didn’t think that I wouldn’t notice?  Not with how easily you went around learning Skills and your deficiency with magic?”

 

Lyca blushed, but didn’t say anything.

 

“Don’t worry, I am not going to tell anyone.  Even Merry doesn’t know.  I only bring it up because I want to let you know how much I value your abilities.”

 

“I-I see.  Thank you for your consideration, Master.”

 

“Think nothing of it.  As I was saying, you are without a doubt one of my most worthy students, and I would be remiss not to reward you for all of your hard work.  Lyca, would you become my Black Hand?”

 

“Your…Black Hand?” She asked

 

“Yes.  As my Black Hand you will be in charge of all covert operations that our army needs doing.  That means information gathering, thievery, kidnapping and assassinations and anything else I need done in secret.  You won’t answer to Balor, you won’t answer to Merry.  You will answer to me and me alone.”

 

“But Master, why would you need to keep such a thing secret?”

 

“Because if everyone else knew, they would either object or try to join.  I do not want that though. The things I will have to ask of you…they would leave a stain on any normal person's soul. You and I, we’re already tainted but everyone else…” 

 

I knew that I was asking a lot of her, but in truth I had no one else I could ask.  Aside from me, Lyca was the only person who I knew had the strength to commit vile acts to obtain her freedom.  I hoped that I would never have to utilize her abilities in such a way, but reality was often cruel and when the time came I would need someone who I knew was capable of acting, even if it meant dying their soul black.

 

Or in our cases, blacker.  Still, I would accept if she refused the offer.  Anyone would refuse to do something so wrong.  

 

And yet, as always, my student surprised me.

 

“Very well.  I’ll be your Black Hand.” she said frankly, as if it were the obvious answer to give.

 

“Thank you.  I have come to rely on you quite a lot, and I hope you will not mind if I continue to rely on you a little more.”

 

“Do not thank me, Master.  It is the very least I could do after everything you’ve done for me.”

 

“Ho? Even after I bound you to me?”

 

“Even then.  Being bound to you gave me something worth living for...”

 

That made me smile- or at least try to. “I see. Still, I should release you from your bonds now.  You have earned it.”

 

“Um…actually, there’s no need to do that.  I would rather keep things the way they are.”

 

“But wouldn’t you rather be free?”

 

“I would rather stay by your side, Master.  My bond makes me feel closer to you.” she said, blushing again.

 

That left me confused more than anything.  If she wanted to be closer to me she could just learn Telepathy and contact me from time to time.  But, if I had learned anything from the past year and a half, it was that humans found comfort in the strangest things.

 

“Alright then, if that is what you desire.  Go on home now, I will stay here for a little while longer.”

 

Lyca nodded and vanished back into the forest.

 

Tonight had been a long, cloudless night, with nary a breeze to ruffle the trees.  Merry and I had finally come clean and told our students everything about ourselves, risking the family we had built. Yet at the end of it all I couldn’t help but feel even closer to my beloved students.  Tomorrow would be another long day, and the days after that were like to become even longer.  Spring was coming, and after that summer, and after that? The great reckoning would come to Langrace, and I would finally guide my family to freedom.

 

6