Fire Heart Chapter 32
100 1 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Announcement
Fire Heart Chapter 32.5 is up on patreon!

 

Chapter 32

Like the previous night, Merry and I explained everything- who we were, where we came from, what we were doing here and why we were doing it.  Fortunately, the vast majority of the students were able to accept what we told them and those few who didn’t, namely the newest of the Newcomers, voiced their criticisms.

 

Though that may have seemed like a bad thing, the fact that they felt comfortable enough with us to complain in the first place was a good sign.  At the end of it all the children had many questions but, with the help of my captains as well and a heartfelt speech from Balor, my students were able to accept that Merry and I were acting in their interests.  More importantly than that however, was that they believed me when I said that I thought of them as family.

 

I appreciated them quite a lot for that.

 

As an aside, apparently there had been a betting pool among the students where they all wagered on why I was so ridiculously strong compared to a normal human.  The highest odds were that I was actually a Hero and the second highest odds were that I was a vampire, which were known to possess superhuman abilities despite being so similar in appearance to humans. To my knowledge, no one had guessed that I was a dragon or a Demon Prince.

 

“Now then…” I thought, turning to the three idiots who caused this mess in the first place.  They had regained consciousness a while ago, but the three of them were at least intelligent enough to understand that interrupting me while I smoothed things over with my students was a bad idea.  Everybody was still here, and they were very interested to watch me talk with Piers, Akawa and Laek as well.

 

“You three fools have very nearly caused me great distress.  If your reasons for doing so are less than satisfactory, I will cook your tails and wings, and eat them.  Piers- you may speak.  Explain why you are here.” I said, not letting a hint of emotion into my voice.

 

Many of my students were surprised to hear me make a threat like that, as I was much more gentle with them.  My students knew nothing of the ways of dragons or how, when dealing with dragons like these three, one had to establish dominance early on.  Otherwise they might get silly ideas about rebelling against their betters.  Thinking back, there was a different trio of idiots that didn’t understand their place in the world, and they paid the price for their ignorance.

 

Of course Piers was not as stupid as Akawa and Laek, and he picked up on what was happening immediately.  He bowed his head, and said “Right, thanks for bein understandin ‘guv.  Sorry for any trouble we’ve caused.  Like I said yesterday, we’ve been looking for you and the Princess.”

 

He was projecting his voice outward so everybody could hear. 

 

“Do not call me that.” Merry said vehemently.  She was still on the fence about how to treat these three.  They had been our comrades before we left the stronghold, but that was a long time ago and Merry was far less charitable towards her own kind now than she was then.  However, after many of our children took note of her tone, Merry reluctantly softened up a little, saying “I have no interest in the crown, the Stronghold or my…father.  So if you have come to talk about any of those things then you have wasted your time.”

 

Piers looked panic stricken for a moment, but still he said “Ah…well…actually, I’ve come to talk about all of those things…” he withered under my glare “But there’s more! Lady Carmen asked me to tell you-”

 

“Master!” we both shouted excitedly, for once sounding the age we looked.  Again, the students took note of our reactions, and there were some stifled giggles among them. Both of us blushed a bit as we had let our excitement overwhelm us.

 

“Ahem.” I coughed, trying to regain some of my dignity. “What has our Master asked you to tell us?”

 

“Two things, actually.  The first is, and I’m quoting her when I say this, ” To stop being such a pair of little brats and listen to what this fat fool has to tell you“ he stopped, gauging our reactions.  But he had little to fear, as we were both smiling warmly at our masters curmudgeonly attitude.

 

“The second thing she wanted me to give you…was a warning.  Stay away from Estora.”

 

That gave the both of us pause.  “Why would Master want us to do that?  Has something happened there?”

 

Piers heaved a great sigh, and said “Boss, to answer that question I need to tell you everything that has happened back home since you two left.”

 

I looked over at Merry, silently asking for her consent. She reluctantly nodded, and Piers launched into his story.

 

After we left, the castle was thrown into pandemonium.  Reyza and the noble faction were livid about our escape, throwing out accusations left and right and demanding that every single dragon in the place be investigated.  The Royalists said nothing, refusing to admit that they had played any part in our escape and, in the end, it looked like Reyza’s rage would wind up going nowhere.  But then, one of the Minor dragons came forth, claiming to have seen Merry and I go to Eise’s room before we disappeared.

 

“Reyza was right pleased about that, and ‘e demanded that Eise pay for letting you two go with his life.” 

 

However the Emperor refused, which only enraged Reyza further.  After that tensions mounted between the two factions and it looked like there was going to be a civil war anyway. Reyza would not listen to reason, and the Emperor was left with only two options.  Give Reyza Eise’s head, or fight.  But the Emperor was not one to betray his loyal retainers.

 

“So he came to Reyza with a different offer.  In exchange for Eise’s life and for peace between the factions, Reyzo would abdicate the throne, leaving it to his son.”

 

“He WHAT!” Merry and I shouted in unison.

 

According to Eise, Reyza was the sort of fool who believed that dragons could rule over all of the races.  If he came to power that would only mean one thing.

 

War.  And if our master was warning us to stay away from Estora then…

 

“How long until they attack?” I asked.

 

“S’no telling.  They were already preparing for the fight before the three of us left, n’that was months ago. I don’t think it’ll take more than a year though.  Reyza did a pretty damn good job rallying the Lessers and Minors too. He might not be as imposing as the old bastard, but prince is smart.”

 

“And the Royalists?”

 

“The Emperor has been imprisoned below the castle. Eise and Carmen- along with everyone else who refused to fight for Reyza, were banished. Those who tried to rebel were killed.  I left ‘fore anybody could connect me to Eise and these two gits decided to follow me.  Said they had more fun being your goons than they did following Reyza.”

 

“Do you know where Master is now?” I asked hopefully. Even though I knew it was too much to ask for her to appear before us like Piers did, I couldn’t help but ask.

 

“Said she was going down south. Eise and the rest went east.  I don’t expect we’ll be seeing either of them any time soon.” Piers said. Though that was the sort of answer I expected, it still saddened me.

 

“Hey, uh B-Boss” Akawa said tepidly.

 

“I don’t recall giving you permission to speak.” I said, glaring. He backed down immediately, but after a moment I rolled my eyes and said “Go on, what do you want to say?”

 

“Well I was just wondering, what are you going to do?”

 

“Do? About what?”

 

“You know, like taking over the Stronghold, freeing the Emperor?  When are you going to go fight Reyza?”

 

I looked at him questioningly and said “Why on earth would I do any of those things?”

 

“Wha-ha?” he said, dumbfounded.

 

“The Problems of the Stronghold are not our problems.  I coudn’t care less what happens to a bunch of dragons. As long as Master is safe, I’m happy.” Merry said.

 

“B-But don’t you want to save your kind from Reyza?” Laek said

 

“My kind?  You mean the ones who made my life hell inside of that place? I am sorry to disappoint you two, but my kind are right here.  My students mean infinitely more to me than anyone from the Stronghold- least of all my father.”

 

Akawa, Laek and Piers were stunned by her declaration. They had clearly not expected a dragon as sweet as Merry had been to say something so callous.

 

“You…You’ve changed, haven’t you little missy.” Piers said “You really are Reyzo’s child.”

 

That clearly enraged Merry, but she said nothing for fear of setting a bad example in front of our students.

 

“That’s enough, all of you.  Piers, thank you for telling us all of this, and for giving us Master’s message.  You are free to leave.”

 

The three of them had given me quite a lot to think about, not the least of which was the question of why Master had gone south.  The only reason I could think of was to go to the Popedom, but why would she want to go there?  And then there was the likelihood of Reyza attacking Langrace after Merry and I took it over.  I somehow doubted that he would restrain himself if he learned where the two of us were.  If he was anything like Reyzo in terms of strength, I would need to acquire far more power than I had now to beat him.

 

“If I can capture the three heroes,  I could use Principality to steal their stats and boost my own. But would that be enough to take down an Emperor class dragon?  On the other hand, I could use Acolyte to-” but my pondering was interrupted by Piers.

 

“Ah, actually, boss.  The three of us were kind of wondering if…maybe we could stay ‘ere with you? ”

 

“Eh?” I said surprised

 

“Yeah! Come on boss, it’s not like we have anywhere else to go, and it looks like you’re getting down to some pretty interesting stuff here!” Akawa said

 

“Please boss? Surely you could use some powerful dragons like us on your side for…whatever it is you’re planning on doing!” Laek said.

 

I looked uneasily at Merry, who likewise seemed unsure of what to say.

 

“What do you think?” I asked with telepathy.

 

“Well…they aren’t the worst dragons in the world.  I think they are, at least, loyal to you.  Otherwise they would not have come this far in search of us.  But I cannot say how our children will react…”

 

I nodded, as that was my assessment too, and thought about their proposal.  After a few moments however, I was struck by an epiphany.  We needed these three on our side.  In particular, we needed Akawa and Laek, as their massive bodies could fulfill an integral function that no human on our side was capable of.  I relayed my idea to Merry and all of my captains who, upon hearing it, were in complete agreement with me.  In Particular Balor, who got the most out of us accepting the three dragons, was ecstatic about the idea.

 

Smiling, I said “Of course, I would be happy to accept you three into my army-”

 

“Woohoo, thanks boss!” Akawa and Laek said in unison

 

“Aye, it really means a lot to us.” Piers said

 

“-But make no mistake, being part of my forces means you have to work.” I finished, my smile unwavering.

 

“Wahaha! Of course, we already knew that! So what’ll it be boss?  Are you gonna make us captains and give us humans to command?” Akawa said

 

“Don’t be stupid, obviously he’s going to make us Lieutenants, right Boss?”

 

My smile still hadn’t faltered, but the vein in my forehead was bulging again.

 

“Actually, I already have a Lieutenant. And captains.  Oh, but don’t worry, I have an incredibly important job for you two.”

 

“Really? Thanks boss! To be honest, commanding woulda been boring anyway!” Akawa said

 

“Indeed, I’m quite sure it would have.  But before I give you two your jobs…Piers?” I said his name in a sickeningly sweet manor, but while I sounded kind the aura I gave off was anything but.  Piers knew full well that whatever I said next was not an order he could defy.

 

“Y-Yes boss?”

 

“This young man” I gestured to Balor “Is my Lieutenant.  He will direct my armies, relay orders to my troops and in my absence take charge of our forces.  On occasion, he will also ride into battle to face foes who are…particularly problematic.  However-he seems to lack a mount to ride.  Would you care to volunteer for that role?”

 

“Boss..are you sayin that I have to let a human ride me?” Piers asked

 

“Will that be a problem?” I asked, voice still sickly sweet.

 

Piers looked like he really wanted to argue, but one look into my eyes was enough to crush his spirit. “Agh…damn it! Fine, I’ll carry your boy!  But you better make it clear that I ain’t no horse! This here is a mutual relationship.”

 

“But of course.” I said, turning back to the twins, who were roaring with laughter at Piers.

 

“Ha ha ha! Serves you right for acting all high and mighty all the time!” Akawa said, chuckling.

 

“So boss, what’s this super important duty you have for us?” Laek asked, guffawing.

 

They were both gazing expectantly at me with eyes that were almost as large as I was.

 

“Oh don’t worry.  I’m sure you’ll love it.”

 

****

 

1 week later our whole group was out on a hunt.  We were marching deep into the forest where stronger, larger prey lived.  Ordinarily we wouldn’t have to go this far, but the three dragons' large appetites had become a problem.  I would have preferred to just teach them mimic, giving them the ability to shrink, but the three stooges were miserable at magic even with Acolyte helping them along.

 

But, I wasn’t upset.  Seeing my students easily kill monsters that even Lesser Dragons had trouble with proved the effectiveness of my training.

 

“Boooooooss, can we help fight next time?” Awaka said

 

“No.  You might damage our supplies if you move around too much.” I said

 

“This isn’t fair! You said you had a really important duty for us to do! But all we’ve done since we got here is carry your stuff!” Laek said

 

“And carrying my stuff is a very important duty.  Nobody here has an item storage skill, so lugging supplies from place to place would have been a massive hassle without you.  In fact, I dare say you two will be the difference between us winning and us losing the war, since we no longer have to worry about burdening ourselves with too much food or too many weapons.”

 

“You really mean that boss?” The twins said in unison.

 

“Of course I do, you two are extremely valuable members of my army.  Now be silent, I sense something nearby.”

 

The entire army was on high alert, save the two pack mules. My captains were sending me a continuous stream of information as they searched the area for the source of the mysterious aura. Eventually, we were able to pinpoint a singular landmark, a medium sized hill, where the monster's aura was concentrated.

 

But there was nothing on the hill.  No monsters, no animals, not even any trees.

 

“Wait a minute, no trees? In the middle of a forest?” I thought

 

That, I found suspect. Balor agreed, so he sent Tia and Star’s units to investigate.  But just as they neared the hill…

 

GROAAAAAHHH

 

A monstrous roar rang out, frightening all of the birds in the area into taking flight.  Tia and Star’s forces tensed, raising their weapons and looking all around for the source of the noise- but they could see nothing.

 

Because the noise didn’t come from within the forest, it came from beneath it.  The ground rumbled, causing many of the students to fall over, and from under the earth came a monstrously large form. Larger, even, than the twins.  It’s head was easily bigger than I was in my dragon form, with beady black eyes that shone with intelligence.  It’s body rose out of the earth, taking with it not only the hill, but also a sizable chunk of the land around it.  It held all of that on top of a 50 meter long shell that wrapped around it’s entire body.

 

“What on earth is that?” I said out loud, marveling at the creature.  Even I had never seen nor heard of something like this.  Whatever the monster was, it had the appearance of a giant turtle, except for the head which looked distinctly like that of a dragon.  Looking again at the shell of the creature, it seemed to hold multiple ecosystems on it’s back at once, as it had the grassy hill, a patch of forest, a small body of water, a rocky area and even a patch of what looked like a sandy desert. 

 

It was marvelous.

 

Oy boss!” Piers shouted “We need to turn tail and run! This bloke ‘ere is a world turtle, he ain’t the kind of enemy humans can take on! Hell, I’m not even sure you could beat ‘im, an this is just a young one!”

 

“Hooo, is that so?” I said, eyeing the creature.  Certainly, it was strong.  In fact, it was probably stronger than anything I had ever fought before, aside from Terero.

 

But that was why we needed  to fight it.  This creature was as close to a Demon Prince or Hero in terms of power that we were going to get.  If we could fight this, and win, then I would finally be certain that we were ready.

 

“My chIlDrEn!” I roared, transforming into my dragon form and hopping off Akawa’s back. They were surprised by my sudden change, as most of them had never seen my true form before. “Before you lies a foe more powerful than any you have ever faced before!  Defeat him. Defeat him and prove to me that you really are strong enough to fight Langrace!  Defeat him and show me that no matter the enemy, soldier, Hero, or Saint- you will crush them all for the sake of your comrades! For the sake of your family! For the sake of yourselves!”

 

A mighty roar rang out among my students, stunning the dragons and even giving the world turtle momentary pause.  No doubt, it had never heard such jubilation at it’s arrival.  But that only lasted a moment, as the turtle opened its mouth and concentrated a massive amount of mana there.

 

“Prepare yourself beast!” I roared, opening my mouth and prepared my own power, the power of my Flames of Wrath.  

 

I could sense an astronomical amount of magic coming from the turtle, and for a moment even I was unsure if I could fully suppress it’s attack. But my flames were not to be trifled with.  We unleashed our powers,  black fire meeting white light as our blasts clashed.  We both put all of the power we could muster into our attacks, but try as we might, neither one of us could gain the advantage over the other.

 

“You truly are a strong foe.” I said, as my flames cut off.  Likewise, the turtle’s mana blast petered out. “Lyca!” I shouted, gesturing to my back.  She understood immediately and jumped onto me, grabbing a spear off of one of Akawa’s weapon holsters while doing so.

 

“TO WAR!” I bellowed, charging the beast.

 

“TO WAAAAAR!” My children replied, attacking alongside me.

 

We battled fiercely, and throughout that fight every single one of my students distinguished themselves to me.  Whether it be for a particularly well timed jab at the monsters eyes, or for having the foresight required to predict the turtles next attack, or for knowing when to retreat and regroup instead of pressing their advantage.

 

In the end we reigned supreme over the world turtle.

 

Boss..you and your kids…you’re monsters.” Piers said in awe.  He had truly never expected to see a spectacle like that in his life.  Yet as he gazed at the students I could see something else showing through his eyes.  Respect.  Not for me, but for those monsters I raised.  

 

I smiled at that. Despite his deference to me, Piers was not an easy dragon to impress.  If my students were able to get his respect, then that meant only one thing.  They were strong.

 

“The time for training has come to an end.  Next we go to war!”

 

6