Pseudo-prologue? Pseudo-prologue!
2.7k 7 51
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

*clack*

How many times I’ve seen this dream already…

*clack* *clack*

Lying in the middle of a dark dungeon, powerless in front of a monster with overwhelming might. Covered in sweat with no strength to get up, all I can do is to accept my death. Just a random sound of someone’s geta is breaking this atmosphere.

*clack* *clack* *clack*

With sounds coming closer and closer, monster is already preparing to finish me off. But it suddenly got split right into two and men with a katana in his hands appeared in front of me. Gorgeous stance, long black hair and traditional clothes, every part of him is saying just one word – Samurai.

 

I woke up.

I’m seeing this same dream for so many years already. Long enough to actually make me tired of it.

Samurai.

Rare class that you can acquire only with a high stats of strength and speed while keeping them on the exact same amount. While it’s a powerful class that can be both tank and melee DPS you rarely can see anyone trying to acquire it. You can't change it, it’s hard to develop, and it’s unpopular in parties of random adventurers. After all, vanilla warrior or some archer are more popular. They are more stable, while samurais need a lot of time to develop and will show the strong points only in later levels. Sure it gets a massive power boost at some point and while an ordinary adventurer will have a power of a 'B'-rank samurai may be considered 'A'-ranked strong at this point. But before that, it’s really hard to get even near 'C'-rank.

But I have always admired this class and dreamed of being one of them since my childhood. I trained hard and after a long time, I finally acquired this class.

 

 “Oh, you’re up? Then wake the others, looks like we got problems.”

The one who distracted me from my morning thoughts was my companion Rudolf. With me and two others we are in a D ranked adventure party. While kicking still snoring elf girls, I asked:

“What happened?”

 “We can’t go back now. The monsters on lower levels resurrected.”

And here comes bad news.

After clearing enough of D ranked quests we finally were able to pick up a regular exploring quest of a C ranked dungeon for a rank up. Easy monthly quest and important experience were sure what we needed. Of course we couldn’t refuse this and OF COURSE we couldn’t do everything right. While it was just a C rank dungeon, monsters here was rather strong and not the ones that should be here by guilds information. For some reason we thought it’s ok and continued our exploration. But while we spend extra time preparing and brought two times more supplies and potions with us, it wasn’t enough! Unbelievable!

For that reason, after stopping near the boss room, we thought of camping for the night and then rush to an exit right in the morning, while monsters still not resurrected. But they did it overnight that could be only described as abnormally fast. And it is definitely not good.

 “Looks like, we actually need to challenge the boss then.”

Exactly, there is nothing more we can do but to challenge it and return using a teleportation circle that appears after defeating the boss. But the boss here should be a Goblin King. It will be strange for him to appear here while we haven’t met even a single goblin in a dungeon, but it still should be him according to guild information. While King himself not that powerful he can constantly summon tons of goblins that could and will distract you. We sure must be able to defeat him, but lack of potions doesn’t make good weather for us to fight.

After all, we are just a small four men party with me, a samurai, mage Rudolf and two elf girls Karen and Rosemary. Karen is an excellent archer, while Rosemary is proficient in healing magic. Well, they are both capable of this and that, but again our lack of potions pretty much eliminates this strong part of them.

After a short discussion we prepared for a boss challenge. We don’t have enough of strength and supplies to rush through a horde of monsters anyway, so it’s hit or miss. With hard thoughts I opened the door to a boss room and led everyone in. Does it sound like I’m a party leader? Nah, the leader is Karen. I’m just an only member who can tank. After all samurai at starting levels is pretty much just some kind of tank on evasions. It once again makes it unpopular though.

And…

“There is nothing here.”

“Yeah, I can see.”

It’s an only answer I can give for and obvious Rosemary’s remark. All we can see is an open room much smaller than from guild information (should I even consider it valuable ever again?) that is completely empty. Was guild information THAT MUCH unreliable? Or was boss didn’t resurrect from being slain last time?

While murmuring my silly thought to myself, I suddenly felt my [Sense of danger] crying out loud in my head. Moved by pure reflexes, I swung my katana to block incoming strike.

 “Everyone stay back!”

*CLANG*

My katana faced a giant sword with a distinctive sound and I could finally see an enemy in front of me.

Low-rank demon. No name. Level 50.

Bad.

This is very bad.

Karen, Rosemary and Rudolf already stood in a battle stance, but it’s obvious that we couldn’t win. Our levels are 30 and so we are capable of defeating a level 30 low-rank demon. But the difference between level 30 and 50 is huge and the one in front of us is exactly level 50.

But what can we do? There is nowhere to run so all we can do is to fight anyway. While I was trying to distract this demon, Rudolf fired his [Ice Lance] and it pierced demons shoulder. With not much care demon just made a displeased face and suddenly vanished from my sight. I had no time to react and the moment I turned to face my comrades Rudolf was already cut into two. Blood spilled all over the place like a fountain.

 “AAAAA!”

Drown in rage I kicked the floor and rushed to demon forgetting about any kind of self-defense. Right now all I could care is to get its attention and somehow give Karen and Rosemary a room for attack.

But with another swing of its giant sword, my katana was easily split into two and right after that demon pierced my shoulder with his hand.

“Gah!”

Trying to tolerate pain I looked at his face only to see a mocking expression. At the same time, a barrage of attacks has been thrown by elf girls, what made a demon change his expression yet again and throw me to a wall.

“Aghh!”

Shit! I can’t do anything in this situation!

*clack*

A familiar sound could be heard somewhere from the corridor, but I couldn’t think about it. Right in front of me a damn demon was easily slicing my comrades while I couldn’t even stand from all the pain.

*clack* *clack*

And now all I could feel is fear. Killing intent that this demon emits is too strong for me to bear, reminding be of my dream. But that was just a dream. This pain is too real, a sight of my sliced comrades is too cruel and my powerlessness puts too much pressure on me.

“So this is the end, huh?”

*clack* *clack* *clack*

A loud sound of geta snapped me out of my dying thoughts. Was it the same as in my dream? Was it…prophetic? Can I… be… saved…?

With a last slight bit if hope I somehow turned my head to the direction of an only rooms exit and saw…

 “AAAARGH! God u fucking dammit! Ill never get used to wear dis fucking piece of shit!”

.

.

.

“Huh?”

51