EX1. Ghost in a Goddess’ Tears.
1.5k 7 52
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Damn, I’m bored.”

It was a long time since Church was warning about the fall of a Goddess’ Tears. And I was unlucky enough to be on watch this time. An incredibly strong downpour that will cause unbearable pain to anyone, who will stand in it for more than a minute. I heard it felt like being burned alive. At this time all peddlers are sitting in their caravans, villagers and townspeople never leaving home, and even animals and monster in a forest are sitting in their caves. There is a legend that it’s a Goddess herself crying when a lot of people dies in one place. But for the last decades, it happens only in war times, so it is strange to hear about it now.

Did something happen? Maybe some peddler with his caravan got ambushed with his co-workers and family by some bandits or monsters. But anyway my watch ended after the rain started, so I’m staying at gates for some extra hours.

I should ask for some extra pay after this.

Suddenly a lone figure appeared on a road. A white-haired girl in black was leisurely walking in rain towards the gate. How can she be so calm in a Goddess’ Tears, that even high-level demons can’t bear? When she got closer I noticed that she has tail and animal ears, that is a trait of a beastman race. While there is not a lot of them in Braensburg, I saw a lot: be it servants, slaves or adventurers. But I've never seen such a color. Pure white, like a ghost walking in a hellish rain.

“Halt! What business you have here, animal?”

Crap, now I did it! Reflexively I said my standard warning. Shit! No matter how much I dislike beastmen, the fact that she can leisurely walk in Goddess’ Tears says that she is a Church pilgrim or at least a very powerful person. She is not someone I should make enemies with!

But she just stopped and lit up some strange white stick from her pocket. Is she smoking? I’ve seen pipes but they’re nothing like this. I heard about a special tool called cigarettes that was popular in times of a Heroes’ Rampage, but it was a long time ago and should be really hard to get. But she is simply taking it just to have a smoke? Even normal tobacco cost a lot!

“Problems?”

Suddenly I realized her staying in front of me cross-handed while looking right into my eyes. I involuntarily recoiled. There is nothing in these eyes. No light, no shine, not even color. They are pure white! Only if I watch closely I can see a slight outline of pupils, but I can’t feel anything but fear looking at them. Besides, I can’t feel her presence at all. Her white slim figure is standing right in front of me, but all my skills and senses says that she is not!

 “W-well…we do not favor beastmen here in Braensburg. S-so I w-would like to know what is your purpose h-here.”

While trying to keep calm I started to talk politer. I don’t really know who she is, but surely not someone I could talk like with normal beastmen. Even like with normal noble!

And she just kept staying silent while just looking at me. I couldn’t bear it so I started to search for anything else I can look at that is not her eyes, but couldn’t find anything.

 “Fuee~~”

Girls just continued smoking while looking at me. My nose caught the scent of tobacco, that was completely different than one I felt in my boss’ office. It is much more pleasant.

“I need a…guild. Yeah, guild. I came from fara way and wanted to become an adventurer so guild. Yeah, guild.”

She sure has a strange accent but adventurer, huh? Does this frightening girl want to join this lot of money-grabbing mercenaries? But I’m not the one to judge. At least I know that she is not a pilgrim. It would be strange to meet any beastman in Church in a first place.

 “A-adventurer? Well, there are no problems but it would be great if I can see you finding your destination. It is at another end of the town. I would like to escort you but…”

But who can be that crazy to walk under this hellish rain?!

“Nota problem! I can walk by myself plus dis rain s rather pleasant for me.”

!!

I can’t hold nor my surprise nor fear. This hellish rain might be…pleasant?

 “So, how do I get dere?”

 “Aa…ah. Hai! Just go straight before the main square, then cross it and go straight again until a guilds signboard is in sight. You won’t miss it.”

With a slight bow and weak smile, she continued her way.

Watching her walking away I could only guess if she really was a ghost.

Suddenly I couldn’t bear my fear anymore, so I dropped on my knees with hope to forget this meeting like it was just a nightmare.

52