8. Adventurers Guild.
1.5k 7 49
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Still, dislike of rains in this town (maybe even in the world) is incredible. The streets were completely empty. No people, no merchants, no homeless, not even stray dogs. I would even think that it is some kind of a ghost town if not for house windows where I can see people doing their things. Sometimes they also noticed me and was giving rather strange looks while rubbing their eyes. Are they ok?

While leisurely walking I finally reached my destination that is a guild. Well, it was closed.

Should I wait until the rain stops standing on the street?

Maybe I should knock.

*knock-knock*

«Who’s there?»

«It’s we, Nicholas II»

«Who are you? I didn’t call for you. Get the fuck out!»

“Ha ha…”

Well, of course this dialog happened only in my head while nobody actually answered. I can see through the windows that there is nobody in a guild hall right now.

Luckily there was a sunshade above the window where I can cover from rain and have a calm smoke. Anyway there is nowhere to go for now. I have only one dry ration left with no money and no desire to live somewhere in a forest.

After finishing my cigarette, I took my last ration and chomped it. I’m rather interested - how much a food culture is developed in this world? If Japanese dudes really brought a culture here, then surely there should be a lot of random eateries where it is possible to eat fast and eat a lot. But on the other hand, I really can't see anything Japanese here. Guardsmen was wearing a typical plate mail and the town itself overall looks European as fuck. No signs that Japanese culture is dominating at any point.

But again there was no reincarnators for a lot of years, so most of their culture ideas might just be forgotten and this town may be created already by this world natives only. Not like my speculation will bring any light to this, but they did a good job of killing time while waiting. Just when I finished my ration the rain also stops. I even would like to have another smoke, but my throat is dry as hell so I really need to drink something.

Meanwhile, the town began to seem alive.

Shops opened, people started to go for some business they have and some crowd started to form near the guild. They sure have a lot of diversity in clothes from random shirts and mantles to plate mails. Well, now I can feel this world being a fantasy. It would look better if this lot was gathered in a guild and not near it.

Some people from this crowd was giving me strange looks while murmuring something to each other. I don’t know who said that animals have good hearing, but it sure doesn’t work for me. At least I'm thankful that I can hear normal things normally, or I would have thought that my fox ears are just a decoration. Not like I have human ones though.

After nearly half an hour doors have finally opened and all this lot quickly rushed inside.

While slowly walking in I finally saw what I described as a fantasy Adventurers Guild. Some people made a line near reception, other go to the bar to already have a drink while another was waiting for their teammates in some kind of café while making food orders and the last ones were still looking at a notice board with, I guess, quests. I don't see any other reception so I stand at the end of an only line that was formed behind some elf girl.

I still got some strange looks but I'm honestly trying to ignore them. If I won't get used to walking normally in my clothes I won't get used to living in this world. Or someday ill find a way to take this rags off, but I feel like its just a dream. But maybe the reason for looks is actually my ears and tail. Like I don’t see any beastmans here except for one tanned doggy girl with katana on her belt. She was seated on one of the tables with another elf girl and some dark-skinned dude who looked like a mage. But sure there is a lot of elves here. Wasn’t they also considered as a demi-humans? But there is a lot of them and also some dwarf-like guys while beast-like races are completely unseen. It's sure pretty strange.

While walking in line I also saw a notice board. Its sure was a board with quests that were classified from ‘E’ to ‘A’ with extra ‘S’-ranked board staying near. That one was empty though. But still, it looks like that most typical rank system is indeed here. Hope I won't be forced to do something stupid like climbing from lower ranks to finally get some income. Well, I should ask about it.

Meanwhile, it was almost my turn. Elf girl in front of me was discussing a fact that her party is ready to do rank up quest so there should be some. The receptionist was trying to say something, but finally gave up and gave them a quest they wanted. Happily, elf girl went from a reception right to the table where dog-girl was sitting. Looks like they are all in one party. Let's wish good luck to them.

And now it is finally my turn.

 “Welcome to Adventurers Guild, my name is Clara. How can I help you?” droned a reception girl while not even looking at me.

“Hi-hi.” I involuntarily laughed.

«Receptionist Clara». I sure heard it somewhere.

Oops, she made an extremely displeased face. But why don’t you look at me?

Well, this receptionist Clara(lol) was actually pretty cute. Shoulder-length brown hair and business suit look pretty neat. If she could look at me and make a smile it would be even better.

 “Umm, ama first time here an wanna register asan adventurer.”

Uaa… Now her face looks like she is sending waves of disgust right at me every half a second. Does she hate me this much? We only just met.

But even while making funny faces she took some kind of ball from her table.

 “Put your hand on a ball than I’ll just write information from it. After then I'll give you a temporal token before a real one will be made.”

And she is already ultra-casual. Well, it's better this way, I don’t wanna be a Nicholas II anyway.

So I silently put my hand on a ball while actually guessing what will happen.

. . .

Well yeah, its nothing.

“Strange.”

And now Clara made a stupefied face. But she quickly turned back to her disgust while taking another ball.

. . .

And its surely still nothing.

Looks like her face now has some annoyance mixed in it after suddenly getting extra work.

After taking a ball back she put her hand on it for test and it's sure showed something.

Name: Clara

Race: Human

Age: 35…

I couldn’t continue to read because she quickly put her hand away. Ooh…these women near 40yo always trying to hide it. I’ll take back calling her cute but well, maybe I’ll also be like that at these times. But she sure is saved nicely for her age.

“Well, if both balls don’t work for some reason I should write your information from your answers that will take MUCH MORE time.” grumbled she after calming down.

She sure sounds angrier with every word.

But she actually got some paper and started asking her questions.

Name, race, age, level, class, class level. Guild sure doesn’t need a lot of information.

 “So, some random obscure beast race and no class. Another beggar who maxed her base level and thought that she has some value.”

You think I not heard you? My hearing sure is average and stuff but I wont miss this!

“So you got an ‘E’ rank and here is your temporal token. You can take a real one here tomorrow with it. Rules in guild are simple. Clear quests – get points. Clear enough quests and you can try to rank up. Fail quest – loose points. Rank drop is possible. All your problems with other adventurers solve by yourself. And guild’s token can be used as a passport in any city and guild’s brunch. That’s all.”

“And how can I do a fast rank up?”

Feew~~ I thought I’d forgot about it with all that speed she was talking.

*sigh* “Here we go again,” said she tiredly “Yes there is a system that allows you to do a fast rank up to rank ‘B’ via special arena examination. But it was made mostly for heroes, so if you want to get some quick money just pick up a random quest for your rank and get the hell out of here.”

Well, my application sure not receiving a positive response.

 “But still would like to.”

With another sigh, she finally looked to my eyes and suddenly changed her expression from annoyed to somehow surprised. Is there something on my face or what?

 “I'll go and call a Guild Master.”

Huh? Does some examination require a GMs approval? Seems like people around also starting to watch what’s the commotion.

After a few minutes, Clara returned from the second floor with somehow bossy-looking men. He also was wearing some kind of a business suit and sure looked like some CEO. Just put a cigar into his teeth and image ready.

After looking at me with an estimated look he asked.

“So you want to apply for examination?”

*sigh* “Yup.”

 “Throw her out.”

That was rather fast! And he just walked back after giving a nod to some bouncers near the bar. So this is how you talk with people here? Well, I’m not really a human but still. Some dude put his hand on my shoulder while trying to move me anyway. Well, I still not going to create a bloodbath here so I just grabbed his collar and lightly throw him into that stupid GM dude.

He evaded though, but then looked at me again with his eyes full of…. excitement?

At least he not refused for the second time.

49