EX2. Unusual usual day
1.4k 3 51
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

While I hadn’t a lot of work for today, Goddess’ Tears made my day even easier. Well, any extra time I can spend in my office doing nothing is just a time I think about unneeded stuff. Why I’m still working here for example.

Until I turned 40 I was working as an adventurer in this town. Exploring dungeons, escorting merchants, protecting villages. We were a pretty famous ‘B’-ranked party with my friends and we’ve met a lot of talented people who climbed up to top, a lot of stupid people who were rushing into any danger and a lot of just good guys who both traveled quietly or died for some silly reasons.

After retire, I started to work as a sub-leader and than got a promotion. And I really disappointed in the current generation of adventurers.

I think we were the last ones who were inspired by times of a Heroes’ Rampage. A lot of people from another world was coming here while possessing an inconceivable power and incredible skills. They inspired a lot of people for a real adventure. And even a profession name itself says – ‘Adventurer’. You should adventure, explore the world, fight monsters and conquer dungeons. This kind of talks was inspiring us while now adventurers are just a lot that is more mercenaries who search for easy money. It’s rare to see a real adventure spirit these days.

 

 “I’m coming in.”

The one who came was my secretary. As always without knocking but I don’t really care.

 “I’m here to inform you that monthly dungeon report from recon parties is delayed. It most likely related to Goddess’ Tears fall so no reasons to worry.”

“Is that so. Thanks for your work.”

So his reason was a regular report delay. Well, It’s not strange for Tears to stop all the movement around.

I’ll leave it for now and just spend some times leisurely doing nothing in my secretary’s company. After all, we were good friends from our adventure times.

.

.

.

After some time rain finished and the guild is finally feeling alive again. I can even hear it from a second floor. Still, I have just a little work left so I can continue doing nothing for some time.

Suddenly there was a knock to my office and our receptionist Clara went in. Even if she was working well her attitude always was lacking enthusiasm. But if she came here it is sure the same one reason.

“Guild Master, there is another application for an examination.”

Yes, this stupid examination. A tradition that is left from times of a Heroes’ Rampage. Because that heroes all had an inconceivable power it was rather stupid to leave them climbing up from low ranks. That’s where examination came in so they can get a higher rank fast and start to already do some advanced quests.

But who would’ve guessed that after so many years any easy rider would like to try this examination? Well, I somehow can understand them. No matter who you are guild will give you a weapon to fight with and some monetary reward if you could rank up even one time. But most of the time it was just some beggars or town’s unemployed lot who thought they would get lucky to meet a 9-12 years old boy in low rank for their fight. After that, they could just take their “trophy” sword, sell it and drink away all the money from it.

I’ve seen a lot of these guys around so I started to decline all examination requests from this kind of people personally. I can’t rip off their rights to apply but I can just decline their application.

Expecting someone like this I got up from my table and went to the main hall to see a newcomer.

The one who waited for me was a white beast-girl in strange clothes without the slightest sign of battle experience on her body. Just a casual look and zero interest to things around are what I can see in her completely white eyes. Is she blind? At least I can compliment her for coming here in such condition.

But even if I myself not feel any disgust towards beastmen, they’re not in favor here in Braensburg. Judging by her clothes she can be even a runaway slave or a beggar from another city. I pity her but I can’t allow another easy rider to do an examination.

“So you want to apply for examination?”

*sigh* “Yup.”

Even her voice doesn’t show anything that could be interesting.

 “Throw her out.”

With these words a gave a nod to our bouncers and turned to go back to my office. Even if our guys look rough they won't do anything bad to her. Just some explanation why I did so and escort to the exit. Sorry, but you don’t look like someone who can be a real adventurer.

But suddenly I felt something flying at me so I reflexively evaded and saw one of our guys smashing into a wall in front of me.

Huh?

Surprised I turned again to see the same girl returning to idle stance who looked at me with her white eyes and no interest or emotions.

What’s wrong with her? How can she have that much power?

But suddenly my eyes lit up. This is exactly how heroes in old times were! Without any noticeable traits, they could make a commotion with just power alone! I haven’t met anyone like her before.

The only noticeable trait she has is her white fur that I haven’t seen at all even in my adventurers times.

This is it! She looks like a beggar but her power is just insane!

 “Khm. So, let’s think that I changed my mind. We’ll do the examination.”

I hope she could bring some fresh air to this guild.

51