Ch.8 The Passenger
614 4 38
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Javier

I was so mad at Teddy and Vera. Not only had they endangered all of us with some stupid stunt just for a grade; they didn’t include me at all until after they’d done it. If they had told me though, I probably would’ve tried to veto the idea since we could just as easily test Vera’s whole thing without a couple dozen witnesses.

I guess I was worried about becoming a third wheel also. Because all the sudden Vera is calling Teddy by the name Rosalind whenever the three of us are alone and I don’t know if I’m supposed to do that too? No one’s told me to, but then I feel like an ass saying the old name. The whole thing is very confusing.

Teddy: Javi, are you awake?

When I heard my phone buzz, I picked it up and saw a text from Teddy. I had just been playing games and trying to take my mind off the whole thing, but now was as good a time as any to ask.

Javier: Yeah bro, what’s up?

Shit, maybe I shouldn’t say ‘bro’ anymore. What about ‘dude’? Fuck, that’s like half my vocabulary.

Teddy: Can you not with the ‘bro’ stuff, please?

Javier: Yeah, I wanted to ask about that. I noticed Vera calling you Rosalind today at lunch when it was just us. Should I do that too?

Teddy: Yeah, that’d be nice. I guess I haven’t really kept you in the loop this week. I’m sorry. I guess I’m trans, which is still weird to say.

Javier: Okay, I can do that, Rosa.

Rosa: I wanted to tell you that you were right about my parents. Can you peek out across the street?

I snapped the blinds open enough to peer out and saw a flickering light coming from the little side yard of the Cole residence.

Javier: What is that?

Rosa: They’re burning some of my clothes. I got busted, sort of. Not, you know, the other thing. But the clothes. And they threw a giant fit about it.

Javier: Burning them? That’s a bit over-dramatic even for them. Are you in trouble?

Rosa: I don’t know, probably. I don’t understand why they’re being so awful. I thought being gay or trans or whatever was like a big cuddle party. If anything, they should be happy that we share a lot of the same culture and concerns.

Javier: Yeah, I don’t know what that’s about.

Rosa: And they were always like telling me to be respectful of women and went over and over with me about like the idea of enthusiastic consent and all that stuff, but they can’t even support their own daughter?

Javier: Not trying to be a dick, brolita. But I don’t think they see you that way.

Rosa: Yeah, I think we can rule out ‘brolita’ too.

Javier: Alright, just trying to fling things at the wall and see what sticks, m’lady.

Rosa: Nope, def not that either, thanks. But you’re right, they don’t see me as their daughter and maybe they never will, that’s so depressing.

Javier: Well, Vera and I do. I mean, not as our daughter, but you know… Hey, since we’re kinda talking about this, are you gay too or just trans?

Rosa: Shit, I guess I am. A lesbian, I mean.

Javier: Okay, that’s cool. So you and Vera then?

Rosa: What? No. We just hung out the other day, talked about girl stuff.

Javier: Uh huh. But you’ve though about it, right?

Rosa: Maybe, a little. But don’t tell her. This thing with my moms has me all spooked now. Maybe Vera’s only like indulging me, but wouldn’t see me as like a potential gf or w/e.

Javier: I don’t think she’s like that. And you, Rosa are hot as shit, she’d be an idiot not to jump at that.

Rosa: Yeah, but how much time could I realistically spend with anyone as that version of me? Having to always be secretive and hiding myself away.

Rosa: Can we hang out tomorrow? I want to be myself and this whole thing with the fam is making me feel weird about doing that even in the privacy of my own room.

Javier: Sure. I was gonna play Magic in Phoenix this weekend. I know you usually bail on that, but you’re welcome to come along.

Rosa: Play what!? Javi? Are you insane? We’re texting!

Javier: omg, you dumbass. The card game.

Rosa: Oh, right. Sure, that sounds fun. I’ll see if Vera wants to come along.

Javier: Cool, I’m sure my parents would be stoked to not have to drive me there and back if you wanted to do that?

Rosa: Yeah, I can drive.

Javier: See you then, princess.

Rosa: Okay, that’s definitely better but weird coming from you. G’night

I turned off the game that I had been mostly ignoring for this conversation. I had too much to think about to focus on it. Both my best friends were girls now, lesbian girls. That seemed so weird. I was worried that things were going to get awkward, whether from everything going on with Rosa or this strange nascent attraction between her and Vera. Or possibly even my attraction to both, but I knew how to keep my feelings in check. I just hoped that this wouldn’t destroy the fragile balance of our friendship.

The next day, Rosa texted me right after breakfast to tell me that Vera was coming along too. I’d be lying if I said that I wasn’t enthusiastic about walking into a Magic tournament with a honey on each arm.

When I hopped into the cab of Rosa’s truck, I asked “So your moms just let you out after everything that happened last night?”

“Better to ask for forgiveness rather than permission.”

“You didn’t ask. You are going to be in so much shit.”

“Don’t care. They’re idiots and being in this body for this long is driving me nuts. Besides, I have to take the rest of my girl clothes over to Vera’s house before they find them anyway.” Rosa said

When we arrived at Vera’s house, Rosa handed over the bag she’d brought from her house minus an outfit that she pulled out and kept in the truck. Vera squeezed in between us and for the first time since we had discovered the shard, we were all together outside of the confines of school.

“Do you think you’ll win?” Vera asked me as we were cruising down the freeway.

“Probably not. I don’t usually, just there to have a good time.” The ride was quieter than I would have expected. Once we all remembered to turn our phones off, Rosa tried to lighten the mood by singing along to the radio and matching the voice of whoever was singing. It was really impressive, seeing my friend in what we were calling the Teddy-shape belting out Adele note for note. Obviously, Rosa had not had the vocal training to carry a tune like that, so while she sounded the same in some ways; she was clearly an amateur in others.

Once we arrived at the hotel where the tournament was being held, Rosa snuck off to a restroom or somewhere and came back looking ravishing and smiling from ear to ear. I was a little jealous really; I couldn’t imagine being that gleeful about anything. Vera was in a pair of black skinny jeans and oversized sweater, but Rosa seemed to be going all out. She had on a floral dress and a matching head band in her hair. She had also cranked up the breasts to max. I didn’t think her natural form was that busty. It was an outright distraction for every player in the room, myself included. They hung around for a bit and watched a couple games, but then went off to explore the neighborhood, which here had a number of little shops in walking distance.

I did better than I expected in the tournament but still didn't win. When it was over, I texted the other two to see if they wanted to get a late lunch. No reply followed. They must have had their phones off to talk about stuff. We should have planned for that. Outside of the hotel, there was a little park and I saw the two of them seated on a bench laughing quietly with one another. They looked so cute together and it wasn’t so much that I was anxious about them getting together; I was just worried what that meant for me. They’d eventually realize that they could do anything they wanted and would just leave me behind.

They looked up at me when I approached. “How’d it go?” Vera asked.

“I won a few rounds but that’s all. Hey, we should probably set up times to turn our phones on in the future. Couldn’t get you guys… I mean, you ladies on text.” I was definitely overthinking that, right? Would saying ‘you guys’ be a gaffe? Rosa only smiled indulgently at my self-correction.

“Yeah, sorry, but at least we were easy to find. You feeling hungry? We saw a nice little Mexican place while we were walking around,” Rosa offered.

“Yeah, that sounds perfect.”

It was a short walk down the road to the place they’d seen. When we were taken to our table, the maître d’ looked at me curiously, as though wondering what secret wealth I held that would result in such an unusual table of guests. I think that’s why we were seated at a table with chairs placed around it; so we didn’t have to decide on booth seating. The restaurant seemed to be a tiny whole-in-the-wall type place with an Aztec-inspired design and dim lighting; small and empty enough to let allow me to stop worrying about potential eavesdroppers.

While we were waiting for our food, Rosa began telling Vera about her moms and their confrontation the night before. In hearing about it all in detail for the first time, I was proud of Rosa. She’d really stood up to them for once. It may not work out well for her in the long run, but I’d seen her buckle under their harsh rules for as long as I can remember.

“I always knew your moms were awful. But I didn’t realize that they’d do something like that. What’re you going to do?” Vera asked

“I don’t know. I guess I’ll try to make it through the rest of the school year and then go to college as far away as possible. That’ll still be hard though. I already can’t stand being you know, like I was before. Every time I have to force myself back into that shape; it feels more and more repulsive.”

We were sitting in a quiet silence contemplating this problem when our food was served, and it was a welcome break from the heavy conversation. The entree itself left something to be desired, but the sauce at least was perfect. I tried to steer conversation away from Rosa’s parents. I thought we should all just relax and talk about school, tv, and games. I wanted just a little more time with us as ourselves without the weight of being mages and all the trials and difficulties we’d already begun experiencing and those sure to follow.

Once we finished our meal, we returned to Rosa’s truck and she changed in the tarped-over bed while Vera and I kept watch. I tried not to meet her eyes when she came out. It was making me feel bad now too, and I couldn’t look at the pain that I knew was there. I could only imagine how I would feel in her situation.

On the way back, about an hour away from home, Rosa’s tire got a flat. She pulled us over to the shoulder and assured us that she had a donut that would get us the rest of the way home. I volunteered to change the tire. I’m sure Rosa and probably Vera could, but it still seemed the gentlemanly thing to do.

I was having a hell of a time with the lug nuts though. Rosa peeked her head out of the truck and said “Javi, what the hell? You need some help with that?”

“Your stupid truck is all rusted to shit.” And I grunted with effort against the ratchet I was pushing against. Rosa came out then to taunt me further.

She lightly pinched around my bicep and said “I thought you’d been going to the gym. Is that all you got?” And a curious thing happened. My bicep nearly doubled in size and as it did so, the pressure I was exerting on the lug nut increased dramatically and it came loose so fast that I nearly lost my balance.

Rosa and I stared at each other, mouths agape. “You can do that to other people?” I screamed over the whine of passing traffic.

“I didn’t know, I guess I can. Shit, that’s got some ramifications.” Rosa seemed to be looking at her own hands now; contemplating just how much power they actually held. I easily finished changing the tire now that I my arm was as thick as my neck.

By the time I was done, Vera had gotten out of the cab and Rosa had been explaining what just happened. I went around to the passenger side of the truck away from the freeway and called the other two over. “Rosa, can you change it back, I look like a chronic masturbator.” And gestured at the marked difference between the two arms. “You don’t have to do it back to like it was though, a little extra muscle on both could be handy.”

“Right, sure. I can do that, I think.” And she grabbed my right arm and shrunk it down to a reasonable size and then held onto my left to increase it until they were even. I never wanted to be like a big muscle guy, but having some development there could be useful. We piled back into the truck and headed home with our minds swirling with thoughts about this new application of Rosa’s abilities.

I couldn’t help but wonder now, what would I choose to look like if Rosa could shape me into any form I wanted. I could be a meathead. I could be a pretty boy. I could even be like her.

38