Chapter 1: Aumo
1.6k 7 41
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The streets of Furad, the capital of Rotopi, is bustling with people as the afternoon sun hangs high up in the sky. Business as usual, as more androids and automatons filled the streets with every passing day.

 

Unbeknownst to the public, a young boy worked tirelessly in a dark alleyway, away from where the sunlight reached. He had just visited the scrapyard and come back with new parts to add to his latest creation.

 

As he worked, a bright glow would engulf the scrap and reshape them, unhindered by what they once were. This young boy's name is Aumo, and he had created magic which could restructure almost anything that wasn't alive.

 

"And with that," said Aumo as he wiped off the sweat on his forehead, "my latest creation is complete!"

 

Aumo stands up, with a girl lying before him. This girl was not an organism, it was instead an Android created by Aumo that looked so realistic that one wouldn't believe that she was the creation of a young boy.

 

The magic used by Aumo was based on the fact that everything in this world was made up of magic, everything from the non-living to the living. Magic made up matter, and naturally one could in theory reshape matter using magic. That was the theory proposed by Aumo's parents, but they passed away in an accident and the theory was never published.

 

Aumo was only 6 then, but he inherited everything from his deceased parents, including their research. Using the knowledge he gained from helping his parents, he continued their research with their notes. After 5 years of self-teaching and hard work, Aumo created the magic to restructure materials. He couldn't get it to work on living beings because they were too complex, and he felt it was too cruel to experiment restructuring on animals. He did, however, develop a more efficient healing magic thanks to it.

 

Having grown up with androids and automatons slowly becoming the norm in the society, Aumo dreamed of joining the industry when he grows up. As no company was willing to accept a little child, especially one that hasn’t even reached the age of 12, Aumo started creating his own with the parts that the companies had scrapped in the scrap yards. Thanks to his restructuring magic, the parts were made to be more durable, efficient, and became whatever he needed.

 

“Aumo, it’s time for your lunch.”

 

A woman stood at the doorway of the dimly lit room holding a big basket. Her eyes were slightly glowing in the dark. 

 

"LisiA! I finally finished my android!" Aumo runs to the woman with a big smile on his face.

 

LisiA was a creation of Aumo's parents. She assisted Aumo with almost everything he did after his parents died. At first, she was like any other android that anyone could find on the streets, but after the many modifications Aumo did to her, she became nearly indistinguishable from a normal human, if not for her slightly glowing eyes.

 

Normally, an android or automaton has a bright glow in their abdomen from the core inside them. Androids would have a brighter glow due to the extra magic required for emotions and personality. Aumo found out that a way to get rid of the glow was to shrink the core and make it denser, which also doesn't alter an existing android's personalities in any way. The only reason why the companies couldn't do that was because they couldn't figure out a way to make the core denser than it already is.

 

"What did you get for me today?" said Aumo, looking at the big basket that LisiA was holding.

 

"You said that you wanted to try out the food dispensed from the new food dispensers, so I bought a bit of everything," said LisiA as she opened the basket's lid. There were all sorts of things inside, from snacks to meals.

 

As Aumo picked up a cookie from the basket, he asked, "What would be a good name for her?"

 

"Your android? I feel that it is best if you chose a name for her," said LisiA.

 

"Mmm, then I'll call her Storia!" exclaimed Aumo as he finished the cookie in his hands. "Ah but, I still haven't gotten a core for her yet."

 

----------------

 

Meanwhile at Magitools, the leading company at developing Magitech…

 

"Doctor! I have a report! For the past few months, a young boy has been visiting the scrap yard daily." A neatly dressed man rushed into the office of Dr. Gream, the head researcher of the company.

 

"Why is that of concern to me?" asked Dr. Gream, who didn't look up from his latest experiment results despite the loud slam of the door opening.

 

"Everytime, the android accompanying him looks more and more human. Just her appearance alone surpasses what we could currently make." replied the man.

 

"Hmmm."

 

----------------

Author's Note: I hate myself for making this upload schedule. I decided that I will hopefully release every Wednesday and Saturday, at my time of course. I don't have any stock chapters; I planned this poorly… I'll probably make it every Saturday after this week… or maybe once a month? I only have 4 chapters "planned out" right now

41