Chapter 27: Guild Library
469 1 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Aumo and LisiA stood in the library staring at all the shelves that were filled with books.

 

"Now that we’re here, what are we looking for?” asked Aumo, “And how would we find it?”

 

The library was huge, spanning through all the floors which are all completely filled with books, with nearly every wall lined with bookshelves filled with books, save for some spots to put tables and chairs so people could sit down, except most of the people that could be seen were sitting on the floor instead of at the tables.

 

“We should probably look for books that recorded the events that happened since Fuhrad fell,” said LisiA.

 

“People record that type of thing?” said Aumo.

 

“Yes,” said LisiA, “People record everything. There are even books that go so far back to before humans even existed. That aside, is there anything that you particularly want to know about?”

 

Aumo thought about what she might want to read about, and eventually she said, “I want to know how weapons and androids changed between these years.”

 

“Now that we know what we want to find, how do we find it?” said LisiA as she looked around.

 

The bookshelves were all labeled, with sections, genres, and letters. It appeared that all the books were sorted alphabetically, with each genre being separated and ordered alphabetically, and every genre getting further separated into the topics of the books, which are also alphabetically sorted.

 

After a bit of looking around, the two concluded that all of the books on the first floor were fiction books, and about a half were for children, with about a third labeled for young adults, and the remaining one sixths for adults, but those were in the far corner. 

 

As that wasn’t what they were looking for, they moved onto the second floor, which was just as big. The difference was that the books already appear to be much thicker than the ones on the first floor.

 

“If the books we find are that thick, we aren’t reading the entire thing, right?” asked Aumo as she looked at the books on the bookshelves. Each of them looked to be at least 2000 pages.

 

“Since we are looking for books on Androids, those should be near the front,” said LisiA, “And then we look for history books, and possibly books on the current technology and weapons.”

 

The second floor had a lot less people than the first floor, which made it a lot easier to get around. While Aumo and LisiA were looking for the Androids section, the Librarian of the second floor looked up from her book to drink some coffee. After she took a quick sip, she saw Aumo and LisiA looking around for the section that held Android books.

 

The Librarian put down her book and coffee and went towards the two.

 

“Hello, I’m the Librarian of this floor, Hona. You two look new here, do you need help?” said the Librarian, “And while I’m at it, do you two need an explanation on how the library works? People normally skip out on the explanation.”

 

“We are looking for books on Androids, the history of this country, and modern technology,” replied LisiA, “And also yes, an explanation would be nice.”

 

“Alright,” said the Hona, “I’ll explain it while showing you two where to find those types of books.”

 

“This library has security measures to prevent theft,” said Hona as she led them through a series of bookshelves, “You are allowed to borrow books, and you can do so with your Adventurer’s ID.”

 

“Adventurer’s ID?” asked Aumo, she didn’t remember anything about that.

 

“They should have given you the one-time use saving tool, it’s attached to it,” replied Hona.

 

“So that’s what that tag was,” said LisiA, and she took out the tools that the receptionist had given them when they signed the contract to become adventurers. LisiA then unattached the tags from the tools and put the tools away.

 

“Yes, that would be it,” said Hona, “There are machines that will read that tag and allow you to borrow books. One person can only borrow at most 2 books, and they have to be returned within 2 weeks. Once two weeks are up, you have to either return it, or you can come back and renew the borrowing period, but only up to 2 times.”

 

Hona then stopped and reached onto a nearby shelf, “If you want a book on Androids, I recommend this book. It tells you the history of Androids, how they’re built, what they can do and so on.”

 

It was a decently thick book named “Androids”, but as Aumo flipped through it, it turned out that the reason behind the thickness of the book was because of all the pictures and diagrams that made reading it a lot easier.

 

“This is called a textbook, they’re becoming more popular recently,” said Hona as she watched Aumo flip through it.

 

“As for a history book,” said Hona as she started walking again, “A good one should be around there. Anyway, back to the borrowing system. If you return a book late, regardless of how many renewals you have, you will have to pay a fee. It is not that much, but once it reaches a certain point, the guild will start deducting money from quest rewards to pay for the late fee. If you lose the book, you should report it, and the amount of money you would need to pay will be a lot less than if you never return it.”

 

“Has anyone ever gotten to that point?” asked Aumo as she followed Hona through the bookshelves.

 

“I heard that there was one person who didn’t return a book until a gold coin got deducted from his quest rewards,” replied Hona, “All the guilds are connected to the same system, so every single guild knows if you didn’t return a book. Likewise, you can return a book at any guild library as well, given that the guild has a library.”

 

“Here is the history book. It’s a bit thick, but it has records of everything from the formation of the Rotopi Country, how it fell, and how it got reformed,” said Hona as she reached out to take a book from the shelf next to her, “Now, as for technology books, what are you looking for?”

 

“New weapons and modern devices?” said Aumo.

 

“We don’t have books on the latest weapons, and it would be problematic if we did,” said Hona, “But we do have books on the modern devices that were created in the past few decades.”

 

Hona started moving again, and continued explaining how the library works.

 

“Now, for the Anti-Theft system, if a book isn’t marked as borrowed in the system, and it leaves the library, in any way, the guild will get alerted. There are small devices around the guild that detect unborrowed books, and will also track them,” said Hona, “It is really reliable and hasn’t failed us so far. That concludes the explanation.”

 

“Is that what the devices on the doorway to the library are?” asked Aumo.

 

“Yes, except those were made to be seen. There are a lot more invisible ones hidden about,” said Hona, “And now here are the books on the Modern Devices. It’s a bit high up, so I can’t reach it.”

 

“Which one is it? I should be able to reach it,” said LisiA.

 

“The one near the center to the right, the light blue one,” said Hona.

 

“Alright,” said LisiA as she found the book and took it off the shelf.

 

“I will go back to reading, call for me if you have any questions,” said Hona, and she started making her way back to her desk.

 

Aumo and LisiA then went to look for an empty table, sat down, and then they both stared at the three books they now had in front of them.

 

“These are really thick, are we really going to read them all?” said Aumo.

 

Status:

 

-----------------------------

Name: Aumo

Core Level:8

XP: 5/300

Status: Normal

HP: 2200/2200

MP: 1200/1200 

MP Stored: 153

-----

Skills: Mana Manipulation, Mana Sight, Mana Sense, Mana Analysis, Levitation, Mana Vibration, Small Fireball, Ice Throw, Air Slash, Body Reinforcement, Body Strengthening

Upgrades: None


The time management didn’t go well at all, and I didn’t get to write anything throughout the week. There just had to be an exam on the day before coding homework was due, so I had to study for the exam, and then rush to do the homework on the day it was due. What was I doing before that? Totally not procrastinating.

 

That aside, this will be the library system of this world, I guess. What will these two do? Will they really read the books? Should they have the ability to just scan the page and go on? These two won’t, that would be too broken. Androids should read like normal people too in my opinion.

 

Naming the Librarian was a very interesting process. I regret asking my friend for ideas, because he is addicted to Hololive(Which I don’t watch) and went “Dochi Dochi” over and over again when I asked for an idea. It all started when he asked what bookworm was in Japanese and I got a dictionary, and said “Shochi” in which he misheard as “Dochi”. 

 

Last week of classes. Almost freedom… Oh wait, finals.

15