Chapter 28: Book Scanning
430 3 16
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Aumo slowly picked up the textbook that contained the information on Androids, and slowly flipped open the cover.

 

“This book may be colorful and informative, but it’s so heavy that people shouldn’t be carrying them all over the place right?” said Aumo, “And there’s so many pages.”

 

Being just a bit over 2000 pages, it was extremely heavy, especially since this specific one appeared to be around double the size of every textbook that was on the shelf with it.

 

LisiA also picked up a book, specifically the history book, and opened it up.

 

“I don’t know why that book is so thick, since this one is barely even a third of the size of that,” said LisiA.

 

Just as Aumo was about to get overwhelmed by the fact that she had also picked out a second book, she felt something go off in her head.

 

Do you require my assistance?

 

Suddenly, from Aumo’s right shoulder, something that resembled a hand popped out. It extended to the book and picked it up, and then went back into Aumo’s shoulder, somehow fitting the thick book into her slender shoulder along with it.

 

Surprisingly it didn’t attract much attention since it happened so quickly and silently, but it did attract the attention of Hona, who just so happened to look up from her book when it happened.

 

“What the heck is that!” said Hona, and she started making her way towards Aumo.

 

LisiA didn’t react as much on the outside, but she was still somewhat startled by the event that just happened.

 

Ria, was that necessary???” asked Aumo in her head to Ria, “Don’t do something so suddenly like that!

 

My apologies, but I believe that that was the most efficient way of doing things. I will ask for permission next time. Please stand by as I quickly read through this book.

 

“What was that arm? Where did the book go!” exclaimed Hona as she reached the table that Aumo and LisiA were sitting at.

 

There weren’t many people on the second floor, but the few that were looked their way. They had never seen Hona act like this before.

 

“Uhh,” of course, neither Aumo and LisiA really had an explanation on what just happened, especially since neither of them had expected that to happen either.

 

Book reading completed. How would you like to eject it?

Some way that doesn’t look as awkward as an arm coming out from my shoulder?” replied Aumo. 

 

Alright, hold out both of your hands.

 

As Aumo did that, the book suddenly reappeared in her hands.

 

As soon as the book reappeared, Hona snatched the book, and started examining it. After looking at it for a while, she then looked at Aumo again.

 

The books have anti-theft measures, and enchants that prevent them from being stored in a dimensional storage and teleportation were among those measures. 

 

None of the enchants or devices were altered or damaged, but the book had disappeared, and reappeared, which meant that something of that sort was done by bypassing the enchants on the book.

 

“The book hasn’t been damaged, but please don’t do that again. It almost gave me a heart attack watching a book just disappear after all the safety measures we’ve put in place,” said Hona.

 

“Okay...” said Aumo.

 

Hona then turned around to walk back to her desk, but turned around to look at Aumo again, pondering how it was possible to bypass the enchants, and then continued her way to her desk. When she got back, she put away the book she was reading and started thinking of possible ways it could be done while watching Aumo to make sure she doesn’t do it again.

 

What did you do with the book?” asked Aumo in her head.

 

I quickly scanned it, and got all the information that was in the book. I will now make the information that I got from the book public to the core, so you can access it.

 

As Aumo and Ria were one core, the core had to be separated in some ways so that the two of them don’t completely mix together. Ria has its own data and memories, and so does Aumo. Those are usually private, and the only public data that is shared between is skills. If private information is made public, both of them can access the information.

 

As Ria publicized the information, Aumo felt all of it entering her head, or rather figuratively speaking since it was all happening in the core compartment which was in her torso. There was also no feeling to it. It somewhat just appeared.

 

If the core is in my torso why are thoughts and Ria’s voice in my head, thought Aumo. It was very weird after all. 

 

“You look confused,” said LisiA suddenly, “What happened? Where did that book disappear off to? I can’t store any of these books in my storage.”

 

“It appears that Ria read the entire book and now I know everything that was in the book,” said Aumo, “Though I don’t think we can do that again. Hona is watching me.”

 

Hona was visibly watching them table from her desk, keeping an eye on them in case something happens again.

 

No worries, I can do the same thing by just seeing every page of the book. Problem is that you have to flip through all of them,” said Ria quietly. This was to make sure that nobody else could hear her except for Aumo and LisiA.

 

Aumo and LisiA then proceeded to flip through the couple hundred pages of the two books.

 

------------- 

 

When Aumo and LisiA were done, they exited the library. They were allowed to leave the books on the table, so they just left it there. It was quite awkward during the flipping since the two of them looked extremely silly, rapidly flipping through the books, especially with Hona watching them doing so.

 

“We were flipping the pages really fast, but it still took some time,” said LisiA as she exited the Guild with Aumo.

 

The sun was starting to set, and the sky was a bright orange.

 

“Good thing that we are able to send information to each other,” said Aumo.

 

Aumo had transferred the data that she got from Ria through flipping the books to LisiA. It was really simple and quick, but LisiA stated that she had never seen such an operation being performed before as data sharing through androids wasn’t exactly a thing. Ria just passed it off saying how robots could do it, so it wanted to try it out.

 

“We got the information,” said LisiA, “but I think that most of it was useless.”

 

“I agree,” said Aumo, “Books are great, but books alone aren’t enough sometimes.”

 

The history book told general facts, but none of them really felt important. There were some important names here and there, but the both of them doubted that the knowledge would be useful.

 

The android textbook was just really thick because of all the pictures of all the different models of Androids throughout the years they existed. Some data was also flawed because most of the older androids’ datas that were cited were damaged and unreadable. 

 

“At least I now know what that rectangular thing in our inn’s lobby on the wall is,” said Aumo.

 

With that in mind, Aumo and LisiA made their way back to the inn.

 

Status:

 

-----------------------------

Name: Aumo

Core Level:8

XP: 5/300

Status: Normal

HP: 2200/2200

MP: 1200/1200 

MP Stored: 153

-----

Skills: Mana Manipulation, Mana Sight, Mana Sense, Mana Analysis, Levitation, Mana Vibration, Small Fireball, Ice Throw, Air Slash, Body Reinforcement, Body Strengthening

Upgrades: None


Last week of classes was not fun. We were given extra-large homeworks, with Math having 4 chapters of homeworks, and coding homework was also one of the largest ones ever. Then there was also that exam. Last week of classes was not fun. Finals coming up too.

 

Due to all of that, I didn’t really have time to put aside 10 minutes for writing since my eyes were literally blurring up from staring at a screen so long to do homework. I have a week off before the Finals hit, so I will take it easy, and probably study here and there. Maybe I will work on my personal projects finally without worrying about homework, which includes this one.

 

I currently once again have no idea where the story will go from here. That is an issue. However, with more time to not think about homework for the next few months, I think I’ll figure it out one way or the other. I can’t believe I’ve been writing this story weekly for half a year already despite not knowing what I’m doing… I’m expecting chapters to start getting longer too, since I won’t be squeezing out ideas from nothing. 

 

Now I shall take a break and then do my Psychology homework… and then the exam... Help.

16