Side Story 1: Boredis
288 0 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Odis POV

 

I’m just an old man who lives in a hut. That’s what I have been for the past century or so.

 

I’m sure that the robot who came by intended for me to not stay here for that long, especially because of that card they handed me, but maybe had a hunch that I would, so they extended my life by so much that I’m not even sure how they did it. I look at my mechanical arm and sigh. It’s not the only mechanical part on me.

 

It’s another normal day, to do my daily routine of getting up, getting something to eat, and going outside to collect more firewood or food. That’s what I’ve been doing for the past decade, and I’m really getting bored of it. I think I see what they mean about gods in the stories, they get bored because they don’t die.

 

I need some entertainment. After meeting Aumo and LisiA that day, I finally had some company with some old friends, and I mean really old. I haven’t met them in a century! How old am I now anyway?

 

The two of them just came by, we hung out for a night, and they just left! They left me! It’s already been a week since then but I’m not mad. They knew that staying here for a long time wasn’t an option. They wanted to see the world. Maybe it is time that I should too.

 

I quickly made breakfast, ate it, and headed to my room. I walked up to the drawer next to my bed and opened it. Inside was the card that was given to me all those years ago.

 

I pick it up, and see that it still looks brand new, still completely white with all the text visible on it. What do they make these things out of?

 

On it says the following: “Organization Member: Odis. Rank: TBD.”

 

There are some chips that are visible on the surface of the card on the back side, so this card was probably used for something. Next to the card was a weird device that was handed to me with the card. It’s so old that I’m afraid that it won’t work. I left it here for several decades after all.

 

Now that I think about it, I never used this device before. It was a decently big box, and there is no manual that came with it, but it appears that it opens up from the front.

 

As I slowly flipped it up, an instructions manual fell out. Why put it in here??? What if the person who received this device didn’t know how to open it?

 

 Bahhh whatever. I picked up the instructions manual. It told me to hold a specific button on the side, and I did exactly that. Suddenly, the top half of the device lit up. It’s alive! 

 

The instructions manual then says to press the membership card against the bottom half, and I did that too.

 

The device then let out a sound, then said, “Member login successful, initializing map. New update found, downloading.”

 

I watched a bar on the device slowly fill up, and then a map appeared. I think it is finally time to leave this hut. I want to see the world too now.

 

I then started preparing to head out.

 

------------- 

 

Meanwhile in the Guild building of Yuhsar...

 

“Why did you bring the giant printed map instead of the Mapping Device,” Fedi asked Guardon, “It was so awkwardly big, but I refrained from asking you during that meeting.”

 

“The Mapping Device is useful but there were four of us! The screen is too small,” replied Guardon.

 

“I bet that’s an excuse for how you never have it on you,” said Fedi, “I heard that you still get lost in the facility...”

 

And the conversation went on…

 

A short side story. Odis is going to head out now and leave that old hut behind. Has he finally decided to quit his hermit life? Yes. Will Odis meet the other two again? Maybe. 

 

Another short side story might get typed up and uploaded during this weekend if I don’t collapse to the second vaccine dose. Give me some ideas on what you want to see. If nothing comes out during this weekend, it means that the vaccine got me.

10