Arc 1 Chapter 85 – Brother, I had already taken a bite out of that!
475 1 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After visiting his father, Noah took a minute to send a message to Fynn, telling him to drop by the manor so that they could further discuss the case. He also updated his social status to say he was resting at home, but otherwise fine.

After that, he recorded and sent a long and touching video message to Trey, ensuring him that everything was fine, and he would keep him updated on the happenings. He also encouraged Trey to properly rest and recuperate, apologized for getting him into this mess, and thanked him for his hard work both verbally and monetarily with a thick electronic envelope of cash. He also ordered a get-well gift basket to be sent to his hospital room.

Suffice to say, after witnessing his baby’s care and concern towards his love rival, Levi’s dark facial expression couldn’t get any worse. Near the end of the video call, his vinegar jar overspilled so much he squeezed Noah’s face off the screen with his own, “Are you done yet? Dinner is getting cold.”

Not only did he domineeringly declare his ownership by rubbing his cheek against Noah’s while throwing the communicator a cold glare, but he even hugged Noah from behind, lifting him off the floor as if he would tow him away right now if the other didn’t come of his own free will.

Noah could only throw the communicator a helpless, apologetic look and bring the message to its end. He then looked towards the sulking man-child who was hugging him from behind and didn’t know what to say.

Finally, Noah settled for patting the arms that were wrapped around his torso, “Ok, ok, I’m sorry for making you wait, I know you are starving. Next time, you don’t have to wait for me, brother. Just go and eat.”

Levi felt both amused and exasperated. His baby was always very sensitive towards his mood, but also always seemed to completely miss the point. On the one hand, he felt relieved that his impulsive actions wouldn’t expose his true intentions; on the other, he felt worried. Was he so bad at loving his baby that the other couldn’t even tell he was being loved?

***

When Noah and Levi returned downstairs, the dining table was already filled with a wide variety of dishes. And a very enthusiastic Cordia mommy was sitting there expectantly waiting for the two to eat her food. She had gone to the kitchen to personally cook something up, but in the end, it turned into a joined effort with other staff. It’s not that Cordia mommy wasn’t a capable cook, it’s just that she wanted to prepare a nourishing feast for her two boys but only had two hands.

Faced with the enticing feast splayed on the table in front of them, Noah and Levi, without further ado, sat next to each other opposite of Cordia mommy, and dug in.

Cordia mommy had prepared all of Aris’ favorites since she didn’t know what Levi enjoyed eating. She was both worried whether the food had turned out alright and worried whether Levi would like it, so she intently watched the two eat. Or at least, she had intended to watch them eating, but how come it was her that got fed a big bowl of dog food???

Just look at how harmonious the two were! One woke up to find another man in his arms and apparently found no problem with it. The other woke up in another man’s arms… and apparently also had no problem with it!! Cordia mommy looked towards the sky in desolation. Men!

Sigh~ Her worries were clearly misplaced. Her son was very happily eating, while her son-in-law was far more concerned with her son than the food. As soon as her glittery-eyed son even glanced towards a plate of something that wasn’t in his reach, Astar Levi would very considerately pick it up and offer it to the other like a prize. The little one would then very naturally pick a few pieces like he was used to receiving such a treatment, and then thank the other.

And boy, was that thanks blinding! It consisted of his limpid eyes and pink lips curving, followed by a soft “Thank you” that was ticklish to the ears and made one feel like it had been dipped in honey. Cordia mommy could swear she saw pink hearts fluttering in the background! And could even hear the sizzling sound of her son-in-law’s heart melting into a puddle!!

She was clearly hallucinating; the worry must have taken a toll on her. She should go to bed...

Cordia mommy tiredly rubbed her eyes. When she opened them back up, the scene in front of her made her choke.

Her good son-in-law had skillfully snatched a buffalo wing straight out of her son’s plate, “You can’t eat greasy food, you are still recovering.”

Noah, who was about to squeak, “Brother, I had already taken a bite out of that!” switched his lines into, “What recovering? Brother, I have already been fully healed!”

“It isn’t good to eat greasy food before bed,” Levi seriously explained. His reason would have been far more convincing if he didn’t take a big bite out of the buffalo wing right after. A bite, which Cordia mommy noticed, was taken out of the same place her son had previously bitten.

Noah naturally didn’t miss the double standards. “Then why are you eating it?” He voiced his complaints in a half-indignant, half-amused tone.

Levi’s reply was matter-of-fact, “Can’t waste mother’s effort.”

Noah could no longer hold in his chuckle, “Oh, so you are sacrificing yourself, are you?”

“Mn.” Levi raised his chin as if to say ‘As long as you know.’

Cordia mommy stared at the display stupefied. What was this feeling of a third wheel?! What was this strong stench of dog food?!

( ゚Д゚)“…”

Should she give the two some privacy? They must be holding back in front of her, ah?

Yep, it would be better if she retired to bed early…

And thus, Cordia mommy bid the two goodnight and made to leave. Still, she couldn’t help but look back at the duo with each step, seemingly lost in thought.

***

Once his mother left the room, Levi and Noah were left to enjoy their food in complete privacy. And thus, Noah, this wondrous creature that had an attention span of a fish, yet could still somehow remember everything he wanted to remember, naturally recalled the topic he had previously been forced to put away.

“Brother, what happened to your manor?”

Levi’s chewing abruptly stopped.

Seeing Levi’s stiff sitting posture, Noah softly sighed, “Would you rather tell me yourself, or have me ask your mother?”

Levi’s frozen form melted into a crestfallen puddle of gloom. Within seconds, his tall and dangerous-looking self slumped into a creature that more resembled a crossbreed between a kicked puppy and a drenched fox than a wild wolf.

After a long moment of silence, the brooding canine squeezed out in between his gritted teeth, “I had a nightmare last night…”

“And?” Noah prodded with a tone one would use to cajole a child.

“Accidentally…” Levi’s blue eyes looked everywhere but at his baby.

“Accidentally?” Like a warm spring breeze, Noah's gentle voice trickled into the ears, encouraging Levi to continue.

“Accidentally destroyed the west wing of the manor…” Levi’s voice tapered out.

6