Book 1: Chapter 18 – “Hammer on Steel”
4k 17 125
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
XD hahaha! Ok, I know I said more Alpha now, but with what's coming up next, I want the whole chapter to be focused on him, not just sharing the spotlight. This chapters a little shorter than usual, but it can give you some ideas of what's coming. In more ways than one.

"The Phoenix is a strange creature. Much like the Dragon, it is represented in nearly every Culture and Path in our world. And yet, I've found that very few truly understand the creature. Not only is it often a symbol of eternal life and renewal, but just as commonly does it see itself as one of destruction and wrath. But what IS a Phoenix, exactly? When most people think of the Phoenix, they think of a majestic, winged creature, sheathed in flames. However, through my studies, I've made a groundbreaking discovery! The Phoenix of Legend, a universal symbol of Life and Death, is, in fact...

A Plant.

Now, at this point, you, my fair readers, have been split into two groups. So stuck in what they think to be accurate, the first have laughed and closed this book, setting it aside and the truths contained within. But to the second group, who wither through a thirst for knowledge, for truth, or just from plain old curiosity, let me explain.

Legends state how, when a Phoenix nears the end of its life, it will find a tall tree and build a nest. Once its nest is complete, it will burn itself up, and a new Chick will emerge from its ashes. The truth of the matter isn't too far off. During my journies, I once came across a magnificent tree. The Tree clung to a steep cliff-side on a dangerous mountain, and even powerful spirit beasts refused to approach it. Despite its majesty, however, the Tree was strange; At first, it appeared burned and charred, as if by some great fire, but the more I stared, the more I could see the marks weren't just natural but contained profound power of Fire and Flames.

Finding a Fire-attuned plant itself was rare enough, but this particular Tree held a single, blood-red fruit on its branches. The fruit whispered to me, promising power beyond my dreams, and before I came to my senses, I was already climbing the steep cliff and full of injuries. I quickly retreated but stuck around to observe the fruit itself. It was unlike anything I had ever seen before, and merely pondering on the Tree, I found my spiritual control over Fire increase by leaps and bounds.

That was until one day, something happened. A Bird, a Silverwing Sparrow, landed on the branches of the Tree and stared at the fruit like it was a long lover. It didn't move or make a sound, simply stared at the fruit with a longing that was almost human-like. This lasted for several days before a challenger appeared. A Night Owl. Now, Silverwing Sparrows may not be the most powerful of spirit beasts, but they're tenacious and cruel. Not only that, but its time with the fruit seemed to have significantly increased the naturally Wind-Allied Sparrow's control over fire to a great degree. 

When the fight was over, the Sparrow returned to its perch and continued to watch its love. Several weeks passed like this, with the Sparrow never even moving, other than to defend the Tree, not even to eat or drink. It slowly grew weaker and weaker, but it would pounce without a shred of restraint whenever a Challenger would appear. Till finally, over three months after the Sparrow arrived, the fruit matured. With just a chime and a burst of spiritual energy, the fruit wiggled and fell from its branch. The Sparrow launched itself at first instantly and swallowed it in one gulp.

The Sparrow landed on the branches of the Tree, and the next moment, both the Tree and the Sparrow were utterly consumed by a raging inferno of pure Elemental Fire energy. The swirling vortex continued for a few hours before finally, from the flames, emerged a small Phoenix. I stood in shock at what I had just witnessed but had the clarity of mind to throw a tracking sigil on it before the creature escaped.

I spent the next two centuries tracking and studying the creature as it went about its life, slowly gaining strength and power until it was indistinguishable from the Phoenixes of legend. That was, unfortunately, until it came across a fully mature Kirin one day. The battle that issued was unimaginable. Even watching from some distance away, I shook at the sheer power that each displayed. Eventually, the Kirin was victorious, and the Sparrow-turned-Phoenix retreated, badly injured and on the cusps of death.

Slowly, the legendary bird made its way to a nearby mountain range. Then there, on a steep cliff-side, the Phoenix lied down and passed on. As the flames of its life sputtered out, something strange happened, though. A small Sapling emerged from the center of its chest, where a Spirit Beast's core should have been. As it touched the air, the Phoenix's body burst into flame and quickly turned to ash, leaving nothing but the small sapling sticking out of the fresh 'soil.'

It was by far the strangest thing I had ever seen. And yet, after another month of watching, nothing else had happened. Still, I marked down the location of the Tree, and returned every few years to check on it. After nearly 100 more years of waiting and watching, I was amazed to find that the sapling had grown into a tree very much like the one the Silverwing Sparrow had perched on all those years ago. A tiny red flower even graced the branches as they swayed in the mountain wind. It was then that the pieces of the puzzle started to fall into place.

I had just watched the life cycle, from birth to death, to rebirth, of the creature called the 'Phoenix.'

The Phoenix had never been a bird at all. It was a Tree. An extraordinary tree that formed a strange relationship with a creature that ate its fruits. Obviously, the animal would gain immense power of fire, among other things, but what did the Tree get in return? Only a host to transport its seeds? Or was there more to it? Was this a Symbiotic relationship? Or was one dominate? Obviously, birds were the Phoenix's primary host, as they had the best access to the hard to approach Trees, but what would happen if another creature ate its fruit? 

So many questions and possibilities filled my mind at that moment. Unfortunately for me, however, the next 'host' to find the Phoenix Tree was a powerful Goldenwing Eagle, who wasn't so oblivious to my presence and quickly chased me away. Once I had managed to return, both the Tree and the Eagle were gone, leaving only a pile of ash to mark the birth of a new Phoenix."

Lin Weiyuan sighed as he closed the massive tome in front of him, "Explorer Francis' Guide to Extraordinary Creatures and Where to Find Them." While the read had been enlightening, it was just him distracting himself from what he needed to do at the end of the day. Not that he didn't understand the why or how of what was required, but rather his hesitation came simply from fear.

And why shouldn't he be afraid? He barely had a toe into {Earthly Transcendent} realm, and he was trying to trick not only the most powerful and oldest Cultivators in the world, but doing so on his own with limited resources. Sure, he had the Prima Jīshí's endorsement and protection, but he couldn't help but feel like this was still going to end badly.

None the less, he would do what he had to do. Lin Weiyuan stood from the stool with a grunt and wiped his hand on the oil-stained linen pants. He opened the room's door and walked into a large building where the chaotic sounds of hammering metal and grinding gears soon drowned out all thoughts. Lin Weiyuan walked towards the nearby Foreman and asked, raising his voice to be heard over the sounds of work.

[Lin Weiyuan] - "How is the project going?"

The Foreman turned and stared at the young man, his eyes shining like a child on Christmas eve.

[Foreman] - "AMAZIN! Where'd did ya say you go these designs from again?! I've never seen anything like this! Just the forgin' techniques we're learning alone could be worth a fortune! Let alone the tools and equipment! And you're sure Her Ladyship will be providing all of the necessary materials? I don't be meaning to doubt the Lord Cultivator, but some of these materials... If I'd not seen the Prima with my own eyes, I'd have called you mad."

Lin Weiyuan turned to the workshop and nodded his head. The team of 15 Blacksmiths, Carpenters and Builders had been recruited and gathered by Jīshí herself, not only for their skill level but also for their discretion and dedication. The Elemental Seal on their soul did help somewhat with security as well, but from what Lin Weiyuan had seen of the men and women so far, he doubted it would be needed.

[Lin Weiyuan] - "And what about the... Puppet?"

The Foreman sighed and shook his head.

[Foreman] - "We're making progress, but it's slow. The designs that her Ladyship provided us were detailed, but there are things there we'd have never even thought possible until a few months ago. Hell, I'm not even sure some of them ARE possible, with the equipment we have now. It's like trying to build a Grand Palace, but only being given a stick and some flint to start out with."

Lin Weiyuan closed his eyes and nodded. They were on a tight schedule, be he couldn't expect them to master this kind of work overnight.

[Lin Weiyuan] - "Bring me to it."

The Foreman nodded and lead the young man to another large room.

Here, several men and women worked busily on a massive, metal Construct. Lin Weiyuan stared up at the object and felt his entire body shake as newly healed wounds throbbed.

Half built but quickly taking shape in the middle of the room was the form of the Fallen Star.

Or at least, that's what the world would soon be led to believe.

125