Chapter 9: Visit
5.5k 10 94
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

<Kyle POV>

It has been some while since Mike contacted me. Is he avoiding me? Ever since I told those words to him, we haven’t exchanged a single sentence. I am just concerned about his well being. I knew Mike’s new friend is a monster girl. I can tell simply by her smell, it isn’t what a normal human being would smell like. Not to mention her appearance is really pretty, something extremely common within our ranks.

It isn’t jealousy. Yes, I am just worried about my best friend. Though that girl appeared to just be seeking help from Mike, I am sure there were some hidden agendas. The smell of that girl around Mike’s body has been thickening. She said that it is because she needed help with her “boyfriend” but that’s very unlikely. Monster girls wouldn’t go around seeking help from another man, they would just directly try to attract their attention instead.

Mike is a good person, he deserves to settle down with a good human girl and create a… a family… I am only doing this for his sake. He didn’t deserve this sly bitch of a fox who is trying to seduce him. She is just trouble, I just hope she gives up on Mike and starts finding another suitor for herself.

Right now, I am going to go to his house and try to talk some sense to him. This can’t continue. Probably due to that bitch, Mike hadn’t been answering my calls or messages. The number of messages had racked up to a thousand and there is still no reply. Just what is she doing to Mike…?

Mike and I have been good friends since school. When I first met him, I didn’t like him. He treated me like a boy; unlike my other classmates. We were more like rivals, competing in every field we could find. He gradually became the person I cared about the most, always watching his steps and fighting with him. But before we knew it, this rivalry of ours bloomed into a friendship. Mike has added colour to my life, which others failed to deliver.

Everyday seeing him smile made my day. I just wanted to be next to him. That was my only wish. To fulfil this wish of mine, I had to make a choice. It was either to reveal my true gender or to remain as his best friend as a “man”. Our family is a subspecies of the mimic and doppelganger family. We were what is referred to as lowbreeds. Monster girl families which had their blood and power diluted. Because of the limitations of my power, I can only partially change my appearance. It was enough to disguise as a man, though. All that is needed is some slight change in the vocal cord, skeletal structure, and an addition of an Adam’s apple.

It is enough to fool Mike and everyone around, but the truth is, I really wanted to become a girl and be his girlfriend. Going along and romancing with him just sounded so wonderful. But I am a coward. I feared being rejected and thrown away. I didn’t want him to put distance between us. I was simply satisfied being by his side too.

Just because of that, I stayed as his best friend. Someone who will be by his side through all times. We would first get through the same school, the same college, the same job and… then he would find another girl… marry her and create a family……. live by her side till old age……….. That’s fine. We would still be together as best friends and he would complain about his married life. I am fine with that, yes; I am fine. In fact, I had never once regretted this choice, at least until recently.

That girl- no, that bitch. Why are you being so happy around my Mike? He’s deserving better than you. Do you know what his favourite foods are? His favourite games and songs? Do you know every inch of his body? How cutely his vision falters while being embarrassed? How he drools in his sleep and hugs his pillow like a teddy bear? I bet she didn’t even know what colour underwear he had. In comparison, I am much more suited to be his… girlfriend.

I am just acting up a bit. I am on my way to his house now. If I interact with him, these symptoms would just die down. I’ll just make up to him and we’ll remain as friends. Yes. That’s for the best. I need not complicate our relationships any further.

---

It took some time since we live quite far away, but I finally reached his house. I felt a bit... nervous. This would be my 115th visit. I am not sure what I’d say to him this time. Hi, hello, sorry? I am not good with dealing with an angry Mike, maybe because he never stayed too angry with me. At most, it’ll last a day before we went back to normal.

I wrap my fists and ring the bell.

“Hello, Mike, are you there?” There is no reply. The lights weren’t on, but it is still evening. It might mean he’s still in his house. I try to ring the bell a few more times, even try knocking on the door. Then, I hear the faintest of steps from the other side. I try to smell with great concentration. It is surely Mike, but something is surely wrong. He stops before the door, silencing his footsteps and breath. Why aren’t you opening the door, Mike? Don’t you want to meet me?

“Are you there, Mike? Why aren’t you opening the door?” I question him. Since I had exposed him, he should at least respond to me, right? But Mike just stands in front of the door.

“Open the door, Mike. Please? If you’re still angry, then I am really sorry. I was in the wrong. Can we just meet once?” My voice grew anxious. I am afraid of Mike hating me. I didn’t want that, no.

“Please answer me, Mike, tell me anything. I beg of you!” I bang the door in hopes to incite a response, but Mike just stood there, not moving an inch.

I feel like at the verge of breaking. I want to hear your voice, Mike, to see you, to hold you, and to laugh with you.

“Mike p-please. I just want to see you once. Why aren’t you answering…?” I start crying. I am sure Mike could hear my whines and pleas. I just want to see him once. That’s all. Unexpectedly, he sprints back to his room. His footsteps were loud, like the drumming sound of a war song. Why are you running away Mike, please come back…?

I bang my fists in frustration. My knees give out as I slowly fall.

“M-m-mike…” I give off another grieving sound, but this one is quiet. It is the sound of loss, the feeling filled with losing someone dear to you.

94