Chapter 16 | Cafe work.
1k 11 43
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 16 | Cafe work

-16-

After school I walked to the cafe, I had been learning how to work at the cafe during the summer and I was pretty prepared for what was to come, and I couldn’t just live off my parents and Kaoru. That would make me feel bad.

 

I arrived a bit earlier than I needed, so I decided to just lounge around and hang out with the cats. Some were brighter than others, and made for good conversation partners. But there is one thing bothering me, and that is the fact that I can talk to cats. 

 

“Hey Usui, why do you think I can understand you?”

 

“Dunno.”

 

...Not that I expected any answer from her in the first place. 

 

After having a small chat with the cats I began with work. 

 

“G’day Dad.”

 

“I have been acknowledged!” He exclaimed, in his usual goofy demeanor.

 

I strolled to the employee room, and switched to my work uniform. It wasn’t anything fancy but worked quite well for the job. It consisted of jeans, an white button up shirt, kind of like the one I use at school, a green apron that covers from my waist down to my knees with cat patterns in brown, and an open cap for serving outside the cafe.

 

My work wasn’t hard or anything, keep an eye on the cats and help the occasional customer. I really don’t know how Dad turns a profit with this cafe but he somehow manages. 

 

I would be handling orders by the register, and also making those orders if they were drinks while Kaoru would be taking care of cats. It’s the first day of school, so not many were visiting the cafe at this time, the slow vibe of the lo-fi music was soothing.

 

Eventually a regular customer walked in through the front door, she was an office worker and often slaved away at her work. Dad would often chat a bit with the few customers he got, and sometimes they would be talking about the intricacies of life.

 

This particular lady had been working at her job for a few years, yet she was still treated as a junior worker, and the only place where she felt she could relax was at a cafe.

 

She ordered a cup of espresso with a drop of milk and sugar, I could hear her muttering something about how someone had mistreated her once she had found her place in the cafe. I really just hoped that none of my classmates would visit this cafe, that could be a bit awkward.

 

But really though, during one of the times I was practicing I accidentally spilled a drink on one of Usui’s followers, and what followed was a few laughs from Kaoru and me profusely apologizing. Thinking back at that put me in a better mood, and a smile developed on my face.

 

I was leaning onto the counter, my chin rested on the palm of my hand. People and cars passed the road outside the cafe, albeit not so many and not so frequently. The work often included long periods of doing nothing or tending to the cats.

 

I was thinking back a bit to the time in school, Riri had introduced me to her friends, and I think we are on pretty good terms, but I’m still finding it a bit difficult to being able to communicate and converse things, the only reason I have been able to avoid me being petted is probably because of me subconsciously thinking of how it might happen.

 

And the coming days could get a bit hectic, with me being a catgirl and all, I’m plenty sure that there will be at least a few people wanting to get close to me, I just don’t know how that will work out yet.

 

A few customers came, some commented on how cute or adorable I was in the cafe outfit, others just gave a glance, overall nothing noteworthy happened.

 

The time passed with nothing eventful happening and I was eventually finished with my shift, I changed to some casual clothes instead of the school uniform and headed for home. I had learned most of the roads in Yokohaba, and I could navigate the town fairly decently, and definitely knew more than enough to get from the cafe to back home.

 

I walked along the road, before stopping outside my home. The gate was slightly ajar meaning that someone was home already. Probably Mom. I walked up to the front door and entered the house.

 

Firstly I took off my shoes, then greeted Mom and walked upstairs to my room, I plopped down on the bean bag and stretched my arms and legs. Feels so nice to stretch out. I moved onto the chair after lounging on the bean bag for a good minute or two and logged on to the computer, looking for a game to play. I had managed to log onto my old account and it was stacked with lots of games, I settled down for a shooter game, and racked up several kills and earned me a few “cheater” or “hacker” in the in-game chat.

 

“Pfft.”

 

Sure I was definitely beating the other team but I sure wasn’t cheating or anything, maybe they were just bad? I also got an invite to join some “Guild”, it’s a sort of group you can join to team up with other members and do missions and stuff, I wasn’t really interested in it but thought that it wouldn’t hurt to try.

 

I joined the guild, and nothing really happened. I honestly expected something to happen, like the guild members I just played with asking stuff about me but I guess not.

 

I put the headphones I was wearing on the table, I had played enough gaming for today and I had school tomorrow.

 

I brushed my teeth, took a shower as usual, and did an evening groom. Nothing too unusual really, but a little’ strange thought crossed my mind. What if I were to try and sleep as a cat? I let out a yawn, and dismissed that thought before going to sleep.

 

Today has been both fun and tiring.

 

End of chapter 16


before y'all start yapping at me about how this is underage child working, she's technically 15 years old.

oh and also catgirls ftw. what more to say? highschool allows students to work part time lel. writing and vibing to anime music is nice

join discord pls https://discord.com/invite/pGfxwasXGH

43