Chapter 1 – The girl who dreamt
19 3 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

She always used to wonder. Is there a world where dreams come true? She knew she was not going to get herself an answer but somewhere, she hoped. She hoped that she will reach that world any day. She wanted to be an ordinary but happy girl. Flowers around her, rabbits and puppies cuddling with her while a cool blow of wind will soothe her skin. But then again, how would it feel to become a mermaid? Glancing at the depth of the oceans, making friends with those beautiful creatures, collecting pearls, not to sell them like everyone out there, but for her own amusement. Wait! How if she becomes a princess? A large palace, a dress like that of Cinderella’s or maybe even a carriage like hers? Even imagining it was so comforting. And what if-

“Katherine Holmes!” came a heavy, elderly voice breaking into Katie’s imagination. Her teacher glared at her, pampering her hair slowly and trying to give a threatening-yet-elegant look with her wrinkled face.

“May I ask what new creativity had blossomed your imaginations?” She asked.

No, you may not.” A mischievous voice came from behind. Ignoring it in order to control her temper, she gave Katie a questioning look.

Katie didn’t say anything.

“GET OUT!” The teacher shouted startling Katie who didn’t even take a minute to get out of the class as she knew she was free to imagine there as much as she wanted.

“A world where dreams come true.” Katie closed her eyes and got lost in her imaginations.

--------------

“So you expect a Pegasus will carry you to the world where your dreams will come true, huh?” taunted Margaret Hodgson, Katie’s best friend, “A world formed of white, cushy clouds with handsome men awaiting your arrival. Sounds awesome right? But it only SOUNDS awesome.”

“Shut up, Maggie.” Katie said.

“Look, being lost in your imaginations all the time will not help you. Dreams never come true just by dreaming them. You have to work for them.”

“My dreams are not something that can be achieved by working hard or doing any kind of formalities or whatever you call it.”

“Because they are not your dreams. They are your fantasies.” Said Maggie, seriously.

“What I desire is….”

“Is that you wake up to find what you dreamt last night.” Maggie completed Katie’s sentence.

“If you know, they why are you not understanding?” asked Katie desperate for an answer.

“Because Nightmares are dreams too.” Maggie walked away further leaving Katie behind.

-------------

(That night)

“I don’t care if my nightmares come true. I control my dreams.” Maggie’s words had forced Katie to think.

“You asleep, Honey?” The door opened and at it was Katie’s father.

“Daddy?”

“Yes, dear. What’s wrong?”

“Did I have any nightmares in my whole life?”

“Hmm, in your WHOLE life, which is just 10 years, no, you never had a nightmare that I and Mommy know of.”

“Are nightmares scary?”

“No, they are not scary. They are nightmarish.” He chuckles, kisses Katie on head and puts her to sleep.

God knew what dreams she might be dreaming. She might be ruling a country, or she might be living with seven dwarfs. Whatever it was, Katie was surely enjoying her sleep, as usual.

But a quick knock woke up Katie. Who was that? She looked around. There was nothing. Before she could lie down once again, she saw an appealing glow coming from her garden’s pond. What could it be?

Eager to know, Katie ran barefooted to the pond in the dark night not realizing it wasn’t as simple as she thought.

She reached there. The water in the pond was glowing as if it was full of stars.

“Wow!” A sudden exclamation came from Katie’s heart.

“Isn’t that what you wanted?” A manly, charming voice came from behind. Katie suddenly turned around to see a man much older than herself. He was wearing some really weird sort of clothes. Something like that of a magician. And a funny magician’s hat on top. “Tell me, isn’t that what you were dreaming just a few minutes ago?”

“Yes. How did you know? How is this even possible?” asked little Katie in fascination.

“That’s not important. What’s important is that your dream came true. And what’s even more important that I can take you there.”

“Where?” asked Katie, eager to know, not realizing that she had never seen that man before and he was a stranger.

“A world where you get what you want. A world where your desires become the destiny. A world where-“

“Dreams come true.” Katie smiled, amazed with the man’s claim.

“Yes! Yes! See, you get it? A world where dreams come true. Don’t you wanna go there?”

“Yes, but who are you?”

“Oh! I am sorry, where are my manners? I’m Marlon the Magician. And you are?”

“Katherine. Katherine Holmes.” Katie gave an appealing smile.

“I can already see your name shining like a star, dear. But it isn’t the shiniest star in this world. There are lot more brighter, shinier stars. I can see the grief that will strike you when you’ll try to shine. But this can be avoided, if you come with me.”

Katie was deeply affected by his words. Is he real? Will he really take her to the world she has been long desiring? Yes. He will.

Will Katie go to the dream world with Marlon?
  • Of Course. Thats what the story is based on. Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No. Something else will happen. Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not really sure. Votes: 2 100.0%
Total voters: 2
3