Chapter 5
155 1 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Dashing back to her room, Valery slammed her door. Her body flying wildly around her room as she gathered her appropriate material. With a notebook and pen sidled on her bed, her laptop fell into place, bringing her to a standstill. Lowering her laptop’s brightness to avoid her new migraines, Valery began her list, narrowing down the evidence to one conclusion.

She wasn’t on a phone call or else I would’ve heard it ring and she was silent when she said “I was talking to myself” then I could essentially hear what she was thinking...

It was a simple climb, yet as Valery reached her realization, she was perplexed at how strange the idea was. How can I get telepathy from a concussion, that just makes no sense.

Endless possibilities flooded Valery’s mind. Could it be a government experiment, am I a mutant, am I adopted, is this some kind of magic school?

Yet as each thought came and went, the hushed field of voices grew in volume once more. Okay, first I have to get this shit show under control.

Gulping down a few painkillers the search was on. Pdf’s opened and closed with a mild fervor while videos skipped past for easier convenience, though to her dismay no solutions came. Each guide spouted on about spirituality and manifesting one self but all it manifested was a deep scowl along Valery’s face.

Time moved onward and while the school seemed to settle down, the occasional trip or splatter of highlighter did little to aid Valery’s demeanor. Even as class ended and the minute break for lunch began, Valery could only lament at her ruined clothes and her throbbing skull. The idea of banging her head against a wall seemed oddly tempting, yet the risk of losing her newfound power was a well reason not to. More homework, laundry won’t come until next week, and I still have no info on my powers.

Scratching her head in frustration Valery sighed Why is this so hard?! By this point in every movie the main character can control their powers so what gives? Burying her head Valery resigned herself, guess I’m using movies as references can’t be any worse than Psychics 101.

Suddenly something tapped the side of her head. Then it hit again, and again. The pokes were sudden and irritating, and with each sharp jab Valery felt her eye twitch in annoyance. Her head stung, the voices returned, and now someone found it necessary to act like a brain dead child. Her nails clawed against the table before clamping around the finger that assaulted her. Though as she held the lone digit, all other thoughts fell away.

Her fingers dug deeper. Slipping through a clinging film into a warm gooey pool of thought. Ideas and notions swam like wild fish, nipping at the intrusion that presented itself. It was far more welcoming than Valery could imagine, though her mind snapped to focus in an instant. Okay, this is new...

Griping at the curiosity that her discovery presented, Valery felt the urge to smash her head against a wall appear once more. Yet as the thought crossed her mind, her fingers grew stiff, numbing the pool of thought around her. Puling away Valery sat dazed as she saw a girl frozen beside her. Her finger poised mid air ready to poke yet her expression stood vacant as red sparks circled her eyes and like bugs in a drain fell into the girl’s pupils disappearing from view. 

Valery backed away from the girl slowly did I just freeze this girl’s mind?! Well... at least this power’s easy to narrow down. 

In an instant the girl jerked to attention, her features still and her stare glassy. Stepping away from Valery, the girl made an abrupt turn, walking to the end of the cafeteria with stiff robotic limbs. Reaching the corner of the room, the girl stared at the blank cinderblocks before her with not a sound erupting from her. Valery sat confused as she watched the girl, yet as her palms laid against the wall her head flew back and landed with a shallow “thump”. The act seemed mild at first, but there it came again “thump”.

Soon one sound dominated the cafeteria “Thump! Thump! Thump! Thump! Thump! Thump! Thump! Thump! Thump! Thump! Thump! Thump! Thump! Thump! Thump! Thump! Thump! Thump! Thump! Thump! Thump! Thump! Thump! Thump! Thump!”

Valery was thankful when the girl stopped, but as the solid red smear suggested, she didn’t stop of her own volition. The cafeteria clamoured around the girl, some taking pictures, others running for the teachers, though one person stayed firmly in their seat.

Valery felt the cold drip of sweat carve across her back as her heart pounded uncontrollably.

Every instinct told her to run, but she knew it would only make her more suspicious. Though just as she was ready to rise from her seat, a towering visage loomed beside her. Craning her head, her eyes met with an eerie black suit encompassing the angular man she hadn’t met since her enrollment: Dr. Yodice, the principal. Ducking her head back down, Valery could barely stop her hands from shaking. Okay! Okay don’t panic as long as nobody thinks I did it I’ll be safe. What if he already saw?! There has to be a reason he’s next to me, maybe I can do the hand thing and make him forget but I don’t even know how I did that! shit!

The air was heavy, washed with the oppressive scent of smoke and cheap cologne, though as Valery felt his eyes press upon her she could do little more than crumple. When his gaze shifted, Valery tempted another glance only to see a flicker of delight skip across his face “hmm, this ‘ll take a bit of work”. Turning to move for the back exit Valery could only follow, her eyes tracking his dark presence. Reaching the door, Valery sat befuddled as he shot a slight nod her way. One that she could only take as silent approval. Wildly confused, Valery watched Dr. Yodice usher in the teachers and force the students to disperse right as the bell gave its deafening call.

Even after the classes came and went, even as the day wound to an end Valery sat perplexed by her situation Flopping back on her bed Valery sighed in exhaustion. So I can control people with my mind and Dr. Yodice may know something about my powers. 

Releasing a guttural groan, Valery glared at the ceiling as the questions teetered and tower while her only commendable resource were a series of movies and tv shows. ‘’At least I got the telepathy under control but I still have no actual way to use it’

Thinking back to the assault by her failure of classmate, Valery tossed open her note book landing on the stiff page that held her three assailants with their yearbook photos posted under their names. Hmmm, how can I get to them they’re in school suspension ended recently so maybe I can catch them outside during the weekend? And like a god send Valery found her phone buzzing as an unknown text filled her screen.

All invited house party this Sunday

8826 Baptiste Ave 3622

@ 9

 

Staring at the screen, a grin sunk its way into Valery’s features. With a swipe of her phone and a change to incognito mode, Valery happily searched “most painful means of suicide” with the deformed gore of the results forcing a cruel grin across her pallid face.

How is Valery going to KILL her assailants
  • Poison Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A Knife Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Blackmail Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Mind Control Votes: 8 40.0%
  • A Power she has yet to discover Votes: 9 45.0%
Total voters: 20
3