Chapter 6
157 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

They never watched the cities. The noise and bustling people were all too grating for their supple eyes. No, their light shined across the void and cared for the subtle and sinister, watching as the lone audience to the grave antics of mortals. Such was the fate of a star. Yet on this night the sky shone brightest above a lone gas station, the stars collecting like a beacon. All eager to see the toiling witch and his ancient tome.

Though as Key stared into the Book of Epics, his nails dug into its aged bindings. Why won’t it work?! Key screamed. His hands held every mind to throw the book, yet as he slid it away all he could do was stew in his anger. It’d been weeks since he left the Farlands avoiding every Marriot, hostel, or drug den that could be controlled by the two houses. He couldn’t risk them getting the book, but he thought his hiding would be temporary. A meager settlement as he channeled the books. Until days bled into weeks and now he sat cold and alone amongst the musty ruins of an aged gas station.

Acrid piss littered a corner while mold and mildew oppressed the air this isn’t how a witch should live. Key picked his nails in thought, trailing the many scars that used to be, but he was too weak. He kept pouring energy into the book. Even if he had a clean blade, the best he could make now would be clean water or a flat mending potion. Though as he recalled the sting of his first potion Key stared as the tome maybe it needs a blood tithe?

As the conclusion squirmed into being, its existence seemed so logical. Of course it needed blood. It would always need blood. It was always the answer. Grabbing his needle, Key pressed the crystals sharp edge against his wrist. A weak smile crossed his lips before falling flat. His eyes widening while the needle fell against the musty floor.

No! No, stop calm down don’t give in. Remember what we know! Remember what we know. Rooting through his pockets, Key cradled his minor slip of paper. The only guide to the tome of epics and the last thing left by his grandfather.

Rule one: the tome is a prison for Farland beasts.  Rule two: the tome can be used by anyone and no one. Rule three: The tome will make you forget. Rule four: The tome denies all egress.

Muttering the rules to himself Key an invisible tension seemed to leave his body why can’t I ever catch a break. Looking back over to the book Key felt his heart sink. The book prevents any egress, so why isn’t it working I keep pouring in energy but nothings coming out’

“I just don’t understand” Key murmured. Leaving the book aside, Key paced around his dilapidated home. He already killed the vermin using lo magic, yet a faint squeaking still ground against his ears. Tracking the noise, Key sighed as he found the back door lightly groaning on its hinges. It was his easiest method into the station, but after it closed he sat stuck in the back room until he broke the main doors down. The door was nigh immovable as the broken lock forced it to lock from the inside, while only the occasional breeze or splice of noise would seep through. 

Eying the door Key scratched his head in annoyance broken doors, broken book what else is there?! 

Suddenly a clamor of metal echoed from behind the front cashier station forcing a groan from Key’s lips. Key knew the book was eating at him it was one of the reasons it was hidden. Those who failed to master it would fall to madness, and even then Key felt as if even the building itself was working against him. Turning back to the book Key weighed its mass in his hands for a moment maybe if I can’t master it I could at least use it as a doorstop for now

With that though Key meandered towards the door until his thoughts finally clicked wait the book prevents any egress… so things can’t go out but they can go in… just like the door. Its a prison not a gate, It has to be opened from the outside! dropping the book Key flipped through the pages until he found a creature the seemed suitable for his experiment. Sinking his damp palms into the yellowed pages of the tome, Key let his body relax. Before yanking his hands away revealing a web of green wire stuck to his palms. Puling away from the book Key watch as shots of light ran along the wires. He could feel his energy flowing back to him through the weave of emerald light, scorching his half dead veins with new life. 

Setting his focus on the creature, Key sat in awe as a small set of bones bled from the weave. Their form stitched together by tendons and muscle bleeding an amber ichor across the floor. Dragging itself from the weave, purple skin finally wrapped the petite creature as its bulbous head sat perched upon its emaciated body.

Watching the weave detach and vanish into a violent nothing, Key felt a mix of joy and exhilaration swim through his heart. Staring at his hands, emerald sparks danced off his fingertips like fireworks while the Chokoff stood silent and patient. Dazed, its toothpick limbs stood frozen at attention while its black almond eyes reflected Key’s joyous visage. Snatching the creature from its stupor, Key held its body proudly in his grasp “so you’re a Chokoff? fast hungry and ready to eat anything but so weak that a stiff breeze could do you in”. 

Grinning with wild eyes, Key watched as the Chokoff suddenly disappear. Its body melting into emerald motes of light and amber string, all flowing back to the book’s aged pages. Looks like I’ll need a bit more practice, but first I need to get a camera.

The stars stared in glee “what a show, what a show” they squeeled, yet their chant bellowed softer than before. As their brethren had fled the gas station in favor of a better target. A sad young girl who was about to become a murderer.

5