Chapter 7
126 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The days fell back into vacant memories.  Valery sat both relieved and perplexed at the fact she wasn't singled out. The numerous connections from Sasha’s tongue to the girl bashing her head all lead to her, yet no fault befell her. It enabled a sense of ease to absorb her, though it was the ease that one could only feel if they knew something strange was occurring.

Though as that fact faded, school life remained a dull constant. The homework was easy and outside of the buzz for the party little had occurred through the week which granted Valery golden windows for her experiments. They started small convincing a teacher she was simply lost after gasping his hand was a success yet trial and error revealed more to her ability than she once believed. As long as it was direct skin contact, anyone would fall to her control. Luckily, the only repercussions for her failures were a few stern lectures and lecherous stares. 

Even then a stark complication snagged her plan ‘ I already have the dumb water bottle they gave us on enrollment but I don’t have any money outside of my lunch card’. Starring glumly at the cheap items on her list, Valery stared at her hands before coming to an enticing idea. I wonder if trains have security cameras.

The car wasn’t crowded around six people sat sprawled amongst the trains many seats, though as Valery stood gripping the trains overhead bar she couldn't halt her airs of suffocation. Can I actually do it, if I fail ill get caught immediately and then I'll probably get experimented on or taken by the government or I might have to go on the run or-?!

As panicked thoughts nibbled away at the meager resolve Valery held the sudden tone of the stopping train shocked her back to reality. Glancing around, Valery settled on a man that must’ve been at least in his twenties, the skateboard he held along his stomach especially grabbed her attention. And so she began. Resting her hand on the man’s cheek, Valery entered the pool, its surface shuddering and wild, disturbed by the shock of her actions. Yet vulnerable all the same. Thrusting her hand deep in its warm waters, Valery didn’t bother with the twisting lines of thought nor the wild ideas that floundered the water. All that mattered was the chill. For that’s all there should be.

Pulling away, Valery stared at the man finding his face to be perfectly still. ‘Good thing you’ll only reflect how I feel the chills become handy for the both of us… mostly me’. Scanning the car, Valery sat shocked at how little people payed attention. The occasional glance strafed her way, but nobody cared. Though her shock was placated as a hand pressed against her side. Snatching the bills, Valery marveled at her fresh 45 dollars arriving just in time for her stop. Burying the bills in her pocket, Valery slid away from the man, falling away from the doors as she watched realization break across his face. Everything gets easier with practice. Thus Valery stood in wait for the next train.

Sunday finally came, and with it commotion ensued. Many students piled through the halls talking about the party while the teachers paid little heed. Though as one student walked the halls, her silhouette lacked the erratic vigor of her peers. No, she moved with caution with a cheap blue water bottle held tenderly in her arms. Just gotta get back to my room. No one would suspect a chemical smell in the bathroom, but if this bottle breaks we’re all fucked.

With a harrowing cry, Valery reached her room, allowing her shoulders to sag and release the dense tension they secretly held. Sitting the bottle on her desk, Valery took a moment to stare at it. The light blue fluid blended with the bottles plastic and while barely visible a light green gas licked the lip of the cap. ‘Drano and bleach a dollar store acid… I hope this works’. Eying her pillow, Valery grinned at the slight crunch it released as the cash sat comfortably beneath her. This WILL work.

Valery already knew what to expect she’d seen enough movies to tell what would happen though the reality sat to be far more irritating. The agonizing pound of music blared against her ears, the eclectic musings of her peer ground against her skull, and the agonizing smell of booze and smoke was offset by the vape cloud cocktails that burned her nose. Oh great, I hate this already.

Circling the house like a starved vulture, Valery scanned the exterior partially hoping at least one of her assailants would remain in the clear, yet her hopes were dismayed. As the inconvenience pricked her mind Valery fished through her breast pockets her notebook page lay folded in her hand. With a low breath, Valery hid against the side wall and let the canopy of noise consume her.

Shit! Shit! Shit, come on piranha plant I bet 20 bucks on you.

I wonder how much punch I can chug at once?

Glad I came for the food.

Man, this girl is hot but I think I might-!

Only 8 viewers! Come on, I'm live at a party here I should have more followers watching.

Hmm, she looks hot enough maybe I can get with her.

Glaring at the photo before her, the voices meekly toned down. Their presence flattening into a dull nothing while a slight whisper still rippled through the void. The closer you are, the louder you’ll get.

Plunging into the disastrous party, Valery fought to keep the voice keen in her mind. Treading across the sea of bodies, the whisper grew with timid veracity until Valery found herself perched in the kitchen. Cluttered and stained the counter top stood hazardous and a with a weak glance Valery trapped her eyes on the ruddy-haired boy that sent her to the hospital that faithful day. “h-hi Robert h-how are you” Valery muttered in an infantile tone.

Robert straightened for a moment as if a shiver struck his neck and with a meager glance he turned to Valery “oh...hey”. Robert weakly attempted to hide the scowl on his face, even his response was filtered through clenched teeth. Though as he faced the girl who ruined his life, something felt off. Her once shallow brown eyes appeared close to blood shot as a crimson film seemed to waft above them. “What do you want… came to rub in the fact that I’ll be held back cause of you?”

Pausing for a moment, Valery began scanning the floor “N-no I just… well”

“Well, what lil’ miss know it all?!” Robert glowered “you never took part in our groups and every time when we had to pick up YOUR slack you’d come out with this grand spectacle and shaft us with fucking zeroes”

“You're right I-”

“And if you’re wondering no, I don’t feel bad about what I did! If you did it to us, it means you’ve done it to other people before too, right?! Who would fucking take that shit!”

“A-and you shouldn’t i-”

“What, what could you possibly have to say right now, huh? What!” Robert loomed just a head above Valery, his teeth grinding in avarice ridden frustration. Until he notices the faint mistiness held in Valery’s eyes.

“Can we go somewhere private please”

“No, I think everyone should hear this” Robert proclaimed, yet as Valery stared up at him he could feel the flames of his anger cool. Settling into a weighty pound of remorse.

“please”

Silent Robert followed Valery to an empty bedroom, his body tensed as he looked at Valery’s demure posture. ‘M-maybe we went a little to far I mean we gave her a concussion, and we just gave those bullshit detention letters’ as Valery shut the door Robert went to speak but a lump in his throat choked him to silence.

“I was terrible to you,” Valery began “I cost you a year of your life and it may affect your chances with college and-” Valery shuddered for a moment in what set to be a soft sob and in that moment Robert stood crushed. Jesus Christ, what did we do?

“Valery it-”

“No, it’s my fault and I know nothing I say will make it better so” turning from the door Valery neared Robert while his mind reeled from the implication of her words.

“V-Valery stop you don’t have to do this it was our fault really we-”

“No, you shouldn’t feel bad for what you did,” Robert stood frozen as she rubbed against him. What the fuck is this going to happen

Trailing her hands up his chest Valery remarked again “you shouldn’t feel bad for you did” as her cool fingers laced around his neck Robert closed his eyes letting his head fall ever downward “Cause what I'm about to do is so much worse”.

“Wha?!” thus for Robert the darkness came, as Valery’s fingers slipped into his mind.

6