Chapter 13
68 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Valery took minor note of the weekend rituals. The student chatting about the school grounds, breaking off to retreat to their minute corners of the world. An average scene that’s occurred before. Though as she watched her peers depart, a twinge of pain pierced her chest. The sight of joy, friends laughing together, parents picking up their kids. It was a bitter sweetness. A reminder that Valery didn’t need yet was subject to none the less. The thought to attack Sasha again reared its head in reprise, but a swift knock shattered the notion completely.

“I don't know why you bother with knocking you can just shift into the room”

It’s called common decency, now are you ready?

Valery flung the door, allowing a bored stare to bore into Dr. Yodice’s skull. “I dont know what I need are we walking through a closet or hopping on some magic train or…?”

Dr. Yodice stood stoic, yet Valery caught a flutter of annoyance passing through his eyes. With a quick step, his form filled the room as the hall behind him vanished in a flurry of motion, transforming into an enormous pair of glass doors. “Wow, you must be great during Halloween” without a single word Dr. Yodice began his march with Valery close behind the trek was short simply rounding the concrete domicile of the school until there was simply the towering wall of bricks and the verdant field, respectively.

“Um, Dr. Yodice I know there aren’t windows on this side but couldn’t someone just walk around and-” suddenly a distinct crackle of energy forced Valery into silence. The world in its many hues drained away until only stilted grays remained. What laid before her twisted and raw was a tear. Its iridescent film forcing all colors to retreat in shame. The chaotic scene churned with a rabid veracity, yet as Valery looked on she found solace in Dr. Yodice and his tranquil demeanor. 

Simmering tendrils wreathed Valery’s form, and with a torrential gust the pair vanished. Leaving the school undisturbed as a mild breeze skimmed the field.

It took a moment for the haze to fade. The ribbons of light rotting into vague motes of saturation. Though before anything could come to focus, the ground shifted. Shifting in abstract angles, forcing each step into a wayward climb. The air pressed against her skin, her stomach twisted in sickening knots. Weak shaking knees gave way, leaving Valery crawling against the vascular floor.

“Dont worry” Dr. Yodice said “it’ll pass. You’ll get used to parallax once you use the gash more often”. Retching on the ground, Valery slowly found a semblance of balance, though her steps were still uncertain. “a heads up would’ve been-uk nice” Valery muttered.

The world took its time coming into view. Though the dilation may have been necessary. Buildings rose and twisted with a contorted geometry. Some swirled in dizzying spirals while others bloomed like iron flowers. Looping around the unstable scenery, Valery found a warm hand cresting her shoulder “welcome, Valery Sinclair to the Farlands”.

Valery stared at Dr. Yodice in stark silence, “how long were you practicing that one”.

With a deft cough Dr. Yodice straighten himself “anyway well be meeting a friend of mine she’ll help get you get sorted”. Valery wanted to take a moment processing the idea of Dr. Yodice having friends, yet the abrupt wanderings of the fine doctor left those ideas to the wayside. Racing off to follow her would be teacher, Valery quickly found a point of irritation with the Farlands. For their surreal buildings and aberrant charm, the ground stood equally unusual. Shifting and splitting with a deranged will walking became completely foreign. Though one thing stayed oddly static. “Hey… hah... hey.. Dr. Yo~dice” doubling over after a mountainous climb, Valery stood gasping while Dr. Yodice coyly pulled out a juice box.

Does he think I’m fucking nine? pushing the thought from her mind, Valery hastily pointed to the street sign behind her. Nothing seemed strange about it, it stood straight with no dings nor dents, though Valery didn’t take issue with the sign itself rather what was on it. “Dr. Yodice why does it say were in Kansas right now?”

“It’s because we are” Dr. Yodice replied curtly “anyway were here”. 

“Wha-” immediately Valery stood dumbstruck as a concrete tree rose before her. Its charred surface cursing the sky while it splintered into wayward branches. Oh great, were meeting the Keebler elves and their yuppie cousins. Who in the hell would live here in the first place? As if to answer that question, the door flew open. What emerged was a behemoth, a titanous creature that stood reminiscent of its residence. Dwarfing the duo with its grim ebony dress and mop of reedy hair, Valery gave an anemic “h-hi” while the figure loomed stiff beyond the archway.

“Okay Adelaide, that’s enough. You can stop scaring my student now”

With a wavy chuckle, the lumbering creature erupted in a burst of azure light before forcing the towering darkness to fade. What was once a black dress was now a set of overalls, and what was a mop of coarse hair now sat tied in a neat bulb. “Aww c’mon Reggie, ya gotta admit. It was pretty funny.”

With a roll of his eyes Dr. Yodice pushed Valery forward “so is this the lil’ errant you’ve been tellin me about? Adelaide asked.

“Yes, now will you let us in I called in advance for a reason”

“Yeah. yeah, I gotcha” slipping aside Adelaide stifled a chuckle as Dr. Yodice entered the home, leaving Valery stranded at the doorway. “Oh, come on in lil’ darlin’ I won’t bite”. Hesitant Valery tossed a glance searching for Dr. Yodice, yet only floral wallpaper met her gaze. With a stifled sigh Valery ducked into the room, stunned for a moment by the deep waves of heat Valery eyed the hall, finding the rustic interior lighter than she imagined. The hall itself was short, trailing off into a large circular roomed lined with glasses, herbs and tablets at every turn.

“So,” Dr. Yocide began, “did you prepare everything like I asked”

“Yeah, I did, but she’s still gotta pick out ‘er style”

“But I already ordered a set of frames”

“Yeah, YOU did. She didn’t, and I’mma be honest Reggie I don’ think your uh... aesthetic is all that trendy”

“But-” looking for support, Dr. Yodice found his eyes trailing the room before falling into a downtrodden glaze “fine do what you want”.

With a “squee” of joy, azure light engulfed the floor as a chair grew to meet Adelaide’s form. “Now!” Adelaide exclaimed pulling Valery close “you seem the type to wear sunglasses, yeah?”

Stunned, Valery let out a distant “um...-” but found it cut by Adelaide's enthusiasm.

“Okay, sunglasses. Now you don’t seem the chunky sunglasses type, so let rolls with somethin’ a bit more slick.” pushing off from her chair Valery watched the large woman zip around the room pulling dark sheets over smaller displays while others stayed perfectly still. Valery tossed a look to Dr. Yodice but found him completely unfazed by the event before her. Well, this must be normal, but how can someone so big move so fast?!

Slammed by a sudden gust, Valery found Adelaide posed beside her. “Now which would be better… it’ll have to be modern so you can where it everywhere but light. It can’t be anything too fancy so that removes the Neo-Victorian sets…” drilling on through a list of complex names Adelaide made no note of Valery’s absence as she meandered to her teacher. Valery could sense the exhaustion in his eyes. This must’ve been really important. Dr. Yodice thank you for suffering through this for me. In a final guttural gale, Valery found a pair of glasses perched in her hands. Its lenses blazed with an impenetrable red while braided ebony wire stretched around it “whaddya think?” Adelaide blurted abruptly.

“T-they’re amazing” Valery muttered. Sliding the pair on, Valery found the world stagnant in its hue and anointed by an eager Adelaide and her tools.

“Is it too snug? Any of the bumpers feeling weird? Any pinchin’ or pokin’? Do they feel crooked anywhere?”

“Quit it Adelaide, they look fine “

“Oh hush Reggie, lady’s always gotta look her best”

“On that note, could you help with finding her some clothes?”

Taken aback, Adelaide whipped towards Dr. Yodice her towering form somehow dwarfed in his presence. “What for?! you already want me do an entire history on the Farlands now clothes shoppin”. Suddenly a wave of understanding crossed her face “Wait... oh, Reggie”

“What?”

“Reggie, you can’t just do this."

“I’m not doing anything. Its been ten years now. So, whatever you think is happening, it’s not.”

“Reggie-”

Suddenly a knock came to the door, forcing the room into silence. Valery found her skin rough, layered in bumps that hadn’t existed before. Valery tossed a look towards Dr. Yodice only to see his jaw sternly set and hands balled into rough fists. Yet it was Adelaide who broke the tension. Moving forth step by step until by some miracle the door finally opened, releasing an airy tone that crested the air “hello, I’m here to pick up miss Valery Sinclair please”.

1