Chapter 7, part 4
535 7 18
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After their morning routine, a couple of hours and some preparations later, Sigulf and Celina finally arrived at the public park island.

“Mmm! This is so good! The cheese blends well with the cod! Lovely!”

“Glad you liked it.”

‘I’m still not too used making baked cod on my own, but good thing it paid off…’ Sigulf thought.

“Oh, are those pancakes?”

“Yes, the traditional Icelandic style. Kinda similar to crepes.”

“Oh my, with all these sweetness, I wonder if I could manage for the cocoa soup.”

“Ahahah… Don’t worry, there’s always room for dessert. Or so people say.”

“Ufufu, I see you live by those words too.”

———

With their stomachs filled, Sigulf and Celina decided to take a short break and enjoy the gentle breeze.

“Ah, so comfy…” Sigulf muttered.

“So true.” Celina chuckled. “And it made me a bit sleepy too, to be honest.”

“Well, after all that training, it’s only natural, I guess.”

“But I don’t think I can fall asleep here…”

“Hm? Why’s that?”

“Because… I… Have to talk…”

“…eh?”

‘What’s with this development!?’ Sigulf thought. ‘No, calm down. It can’t be that… Right!?’

Silence. He nervously waits for her to continue.

“…go on. I’m listening.”

Still no response. Sigulf began to think that something’s not right… Until Celina rested her head on his left shoulder.

“Wha—“

…and then he could hear her soft breathing.

‘What, so she fell as— Wait a minute!’

Sigulf reconfirmed the situation. Indeed, Celina was using his shoulder as a headrest.

‘A, am I allowed to be happy!?’ he thought embarrassedly. ‘I was getting sleepy too, but it’s impossible now…!’

“Sigulf…”

‘Ah, she dreamed about me ag—‘

“Don’t…”

‘What kind of dream did she—!?’

“Don’t let your guard down…”

‘…that’s actually better. Thank goodness…’

She continues to sleep undisturbed. Sigulf took a glance at her face.

‘…she’s really tired, huh?’

Between maintaining her grades, her duel achievements, and taking care of Council matters, it was unsurprising in the first place.

“…”

Maybe she needed some help, like Chelsea and Victoria said. Or maybe she was always the superwoman who can handle herself just fine, like commonly thought. Sigulf has no ways of knowing. Even so…

‘…it’s not wrong if I wanted to be her strength, right?’

He was always serious about fighting, and not much about anything else. But this time, he found another. And this time, he’s willing to give his efforts.

‘It’s worth a try.’

“…hmm?”

“Oh, good morning.”

“Good mor— …ah.”

Celina realized her position she was in. Flustered, she quickly straightens up her body.

“M, my bad…”

“A, ah, it’s alright…”

Sigulf noticed that she’s still slightly dazed.

“Are you okay? I can get you the pillow if needed.”

“Thank you, but I’m—“

It was cut off by her own yawning, to which Sigulf laughed.

“…sorry.”

“You should’ve said so. I know you’re tired.”

Sigulf handed Celina the small cushion and she lay down on the blanket.

“Thank you…”

“You’re welcome. Oh, do you need some blanket?” he offered his jacket.

“Eh? Is it really fine with you?”

“I, I don’t mind…” Sigulf answered, slightly blushing.

“Well then, I’m borrowing this…”

Celina took the jacket and covered herself with it.

‘It’s warm… And it smells like him too…’ she thought. ‘Oh Gods, what am I thinking!?’

“Umm, Celina?”

“…I think I lost all my drowsiness.”

“Eh? What?”

“I, I’m alright now. Sorry, and thank you…”

“Oh, um, sure. Anytime.”

Celina rose up, still looking a bit flushed.

“Say, Sigulf, do we still have some cocoa soup?”

“Oh, sure. You want another?”

“Yes. It’s actually kind of…”

“Addictive?” Sigulf chuckled. “Yeah, I feel you.”

He passed Celina her portion before enjoying his own.

‘Ah, good chocolate… So warm and relaxing…’ Sigulf thought. ‘And I get to drink it with someone else…’

He stole another glance at the blonde beauty.

‘Still, I wonder what that was about…’

———

Having done putting away their belongings, Sigulf and Celina was ready to leave the park.

“Good times sure pass by quickly.”

“It sure is.”

He gazed at her as the wind caressed her face.

‘Ah, will I have another chance like this?’

“Hmm? What is it?”

“…oh, right, that reminds me.” Sigulf responded. “While we are still here…”

He was obviously nervous, but still forced himself to go on.

“You said that you have something to talk about.”

“Oh…”

Celina’s cheeks went red.

“I did say that…” she continued with a hint of hesitation in her tone.

“If you don’t want to—“

“No, it’s alright.” Celina quickly shook her head. “I’m not taking back my words.”

“Okay, I’m listening…”

She took a deep breath. Rather unusual coming from her, and it just made Sigulf even more anxious.

“So, I heard from Chelsea…”

“Yes…”

“That you joined our Council to court me.”

It’s not like it wasn’t painfully obvious already, but having the fact thrown right back at his face is still embarrassing all the same.

“…yes.”

“Seriously, what are you thinking…” Celina sighed. “Taking such approach, and even declaring that you will surpass us…”

“Ugh… That’s…”

“…so bold and daring. Rather admirable, actually…”

“Eh!? Ah, um, thank you…?”

She cleared her throat.

“And to be honest, in regards to the Council, you didn’t disrupt nor hinder our activities. Having managed to maintain your academic and fighting grades is a more than welcome bonus, too.”

“Thank you. I have to do my best, after all.”

“Think you can keep it?”

“I will.”

Even Sigulf himself was surprised at how confident he sounded.

“I see…”

Celina closed her eyes and adjusted her hair. He waits with a bated breath.

“I’m happy that you are serious.” She continued. “However…”

His heart sank a little. Don’t jump the gun, was all he could tell himself.

“How do you feel about the Principal?”

“…eh? Ah…”

It was faint, but Sigulf could hear it. The slight shaking on her voice. He realized what she’s going at.

‘Celina, she… Yet, I…!’

Admiring another’s beauty is natural. Likewise, feeling jealousy caused by one a person longed. Her jealousy confirmed that she indeed feels the same way. Still, there are better ways, and Sigulf loathed himself for it.

‘Fuck me, I should know better than this…!’

He inhaled deeply. No more dancing around this issue.

“…like you said, my feelings for you are serious,”

Sigulf finally said it.

“Yet, you are right. I do like Mrs. Stark too.”

“I can see that…” Celina said. “Despite her… Quirks, she is a very capable headmistress and an unparalleled duelist on top of that.”

“She is…”

“That’s why…”

She looked at him straight in his eyes.

“Wouldn’t it be better if your feelings reached her instead?”

Sigulf paused at her words. Indeed, the older woman was open with her intentions, yet still tactful enough to let the boy decide for himself. And knowing her, Victoria wouldn’t worry about the differences in age, power, and status.

‘…’

But Sigulf wasn’t as uncertain as he was before.

“Celina, are you…”

He didn’t finish; he knew Celina was opening up.

“Yes… As you can see, I have my own insecurities…”

She stared back at him.

“Sigulf, I’m not perfect like people think. I too feel jealous. And from the times we spend together, I’m sure you noticed it too. That I am not all that confident. That I have difficulties relating with others.”

“I know. You being actually perfect… I guess that’s too good to be true.”

“Then—“

“But so is Mrs. Stark. Or my Master. Or Chelsea. Or Alba. So I guess, we can get being ‘perfect’ out of the way.”

“Don’t you think you’re putting me on a pedestal?”

Even more worry from her. And it pained him.

“That… I might have. Then again, I have my reason, and it’s as real as it can be.”

“Eh…?”

“It’s not her fists that shook my heart.” Sigulf confessed. “It’s your spear.”

It was a strange feeling. He knows that his cheeks are warm. Yet not even once the urge to back down crossed his mind.

“Never once I forget what I saw that day. Your prowess burned something within. I want to get stronger. I want to reach higher. I want to stand on the same level as you…! Day by day during our training, the feeling only got even more intense. And when we fought together against the paladins… I know it was something way beyond your strength.”

“Sigulf…”

“I know that I am still green. That I still need to catch up to you. Not to mention that I am your junior, and you are already very strong. Yet my feelings of wanting to be your strength isn’t a lie…! So I’ll say this again, with clarity…”

Towards Celina, Sigulf extended his hand.

“I love you, Celina. Please be my duel partner.”

‘…I said it.’ He thought. ‘I finally said it, loud and clear.’

She shuddered slightly, as tears began to form in her blue eyes.

“You… To think a pervert like you could say something like that…”

Sigulf was about to protest his perceived pervert status… Only to forget it entirely when he felt something warm on his lips.

“Mmh…”

Short, yet tender. It was a memory which both Sigulf and Celina will always remember.

18