Chapter 7, part 5
472 12 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Sigulf remembers well what Celina said when they finally left the island.

‘I will see you again tomorrow…’

Tomorrow. They still have Sunday for another morning practice. Still, her words gave him joy and hope. Anticipation kept him up for the rest of the day.

‘…ah, I’m so lucky. I can’t wait to see her again…’ Sigulf thought. ‘Wait, I gotta sleep early, else I’ll miss training.’

And so, for the better or worse, when morning came, Sigulf doesn’t have much time to daydream.

“Haah!”

“Tch…!”

Narrowly avoided a thrust from her spear, Sigulf quickly closed the gap and took a swing.

“Interesting… However…!”

Celina spun the other way around and slammed her Badb against his Fenrir.

‘Kh… So strong…!’

Sigulf was knocked back, but not by much. It encouraged him to charge in once again.

“Yes, that’s it!” Celina praised, guarding against another powerful strike. “Give me all you have!”

Yet despite the fact that Celina is still the stronger fighter, Sigulf showed less hesitation in his attacks. If anything, it enticed him to be even more aggressive.

‘Her power and speed… I think I’m getting closer… I can do this…!’

With a roar, Sigulf brought down his axe; Celina retaliated in response and bashed her weapon against his.

“Feels like they are fighting better than before.” Alba commented from the sidelines. “And Siggy is smiling too, despite not having the advantage.”

“I guess something good happened to them. Both gave out bright pink aura.” Chelsea giggled.

“Pink…?”

“Something good, I see…” Victoria mused. “Fufu, youth…”

“Hmm? Did I miss something?” Vigdis asked. “…wait, is my boy hiding something from me!?”

“Well, he’s already on that age.” Melanie responded. “Oh, and focus. Eliot’s waiting.”

“Eeeeeehh?”

‘It’s not like we want to hide the fact…’ Sigulf noted in-between exchanging blows. ‘But if she hasn’t talked about it… Well…’

“You’re wide open!”

“I won’t let you!”

He was still aware enough to defend against her sudden lunge, leading to another deadlock.

“Good move.” Celina gave a satisfied smile.

“It’s all thanks to you.” Sigulf returned the sentiment.

———

The next day, Sigulf was just done with his breakfast and about to leave his room when he heard someone is knocking.

‘Hmm? Who could it be?’

He also sensed that it was a bit more crowded than usual outside, but he dismissed the thought. Of course, Sigulf immediately found the reason why as he opened the door.

“…a, ah. Good morning.”

“Good morning.”

Greeting him with faint blush and a radiant smile, Celina was standing before his room.

‘Eh? Eeh!? Why is she— Wait, don’t tell me—‘

“I was wondering if we could walk to school together.” She continued. “I hope I don’t disturb you?”

“No, not at all! I was just finished eating.” He reassured.

“That’s good to hear.”

Sigulf peeked behind her and saw that both Laine and Lindorm were there, trying to control the traffic.

“Hey, hey, what are you guys doing here? There’s nothing to see, shoo shoo.”

“You’re crowding the corridor. Please move.”

“Yeah, get a move on already, or he’ll go all Nidhoggr on you.”

‘…they are so dedicated.’

Sigulf looked back at Celina, and she only let out a tired laughter.

“Oh well…” he sighed. “Wait, you’re not with Chelsea today?”

“Umm, she went ahead. She said hi, by the way.”

“I see…”

‘She’s being considerate to us… I’m sure Celina knows too…’

“I know that we still have some time, but shall we depart to our classes?” she asked.

“Oh, sure, let’s— Eh?”

Sigulf was surprised when Celina offered her hand.

“Then I shall escort you.” She chuckled.

“Um, isn’t it the other way around?”

“Oh, so you’d prefer doing the escorting?”

“If you don’t mind, that is. Though to be honest, I don’t mind either way.”

“Fufufu, well then…”

She held his hand firmly. Sigulf could feel his heart beating faster, and judging by Celina’s rosy cheeks, she must have felt the same.

“Together.”

“Yeah, together…!”

As soon as they began walking hand in hand, Sigulf swore he could hear the laments of despair coming from most other boys, and surprisingly, few girls.

‘I know I’m allowed to be proud of this…’

Bashful as they may be, the pair can’t hide their happiness, keeping their fingers intertwined along the way.

———

Sigulf knew that they are still going to see each other. Still, parting ways with Celina made him a bit lonely.

“Good luck, and do your best on your studies.”

“Yeah, you too.”

“Fufu, see you later.”

Sigulf nodded and waved her goodbye.

‘See you later…’

Those words did comfort him, and it was enough for now.

“…alright, time to switch gears.”

He entered his own classroom… and the other students’ focus instantly switched to him.

‘…here we go.’

The first thing he noticed was Alba and Yuu smirked knowingly at him.

“Oh, there he is.” Yuu said.

“…yo. Good morning.” Sigulf greeted them.

There was no immediate answer… Until Alba and Yuu suddenly, and cheerfully, responded with ““Go explode!”” in unison.

“Uhh, thanks… I guess?”

“Ahahahah, you’re welcome!”

Yuu began to pat Sigulf’s back, while Alba candidly elbowed his gut.

“So you actually made your move, huh? You perverted reeajoo…!”

“Oi, stop it. And what have you been teaching her?”

“Hmm? That riajuu deserves to explode?”

“…I don’t understand Japanese slang.”

“Ahahah, I think you don’t have to worry about that.”

“Amakawa…”

Minato approached them. And when there is Minato, his groupies and Walter are bound to follow.

“Congratulations, Hrimgard-kun!”

“Congrats, man! You got guts!”

“Oh, um, thanks, you two.”

Sigulf then noticed that Eurypha has been staring at him.

“What is it?”

“I’m kind of surprised and kind of not… So, congrats, I guess?” she responded. “Just try not to hold her back.”

“What?”

“Well, little Eury here idolizes Miss Bartram very much, so…“ Carmen explained.

“Who do you call ‘little’!? And w— …well, you’re not wrong about the idolizing part.”

“Don’t worry, I won’t. I’ll do my best to support her. Way more than that, even.”

“…tch, I was hoping you’d goof around and slack off instead, so—“

“”Hiltunen-san.”” Minato, and Yuu for some reason, reprimanded Ilma’s tone.

“U, ugh… Fine, sorry.”

“You should try to read the mood.” Yuu sighed. “Or even better, being more honest and—“

“No need for that.” Siegward cut him off.

“Huh?”

The silver-haired German approached, with Masaki following behind.

“Class-traitor.” He growled at Sigulf.

“…wait, what?”

“Are you seriously still hung up on that?” Masaki retorted. “Don’t tell me this is one of your theatrics again…”

Silence was the only thing coming from him.

“…figures.”

Everyone barring Siegward collectively sighed.

“…what? Is there any problem?” he tried to defend himself.

“Dude, don’t be such a killjoy!” Walter pointed out.

“Grh… What am I supposed to do then?”

“Now, now, we are all classmates; don’t you think we should be thoughtful for the occasion?” Arthfael intervened before turning to Sigulf. “Hrimgard, congratulations.”

“Eh? Oh, thank you.”

‘His tone…’

“So, how are we going to celebrate?” Yuu asked. “Sig-kun and the others have Council jobs, after all.”

“How about during lunch break? It’s not like we have any other options.” Alba suggested.

“You’re right. And then… Oh, the place. For a change a pace, how about we eat at the school court?”

“That sounds like a good idea.” Minato agreed.

“Count me in!” Walter added.

“…you guys just decided this on your own.” Sigulf pointed out.

“What are you getting sulky for? You should be more cheerful about this!” Alba grinned.

“Ah, I’m sorry, but I don’t think I can join you.” Arthfael suddenly spoke up again.

“Eh? Why not?”

“I already have my own regularly scheduled lunch with the others, so…”

‘…’

“Same here.” Siegward raised his hand. “Though obviously, not with his group of knights.”

“Sorry about that.” Masaki gestured.

“Eeh, seriously? I guess it can’t be helped…” Walter conceded. “So, the usual Council party?”

“You’re not even—“ Eurypha was about to snap back, but gave up midway. “…ah, whatever. Then I’ll contact the President and the others.”

“Guess there’s no stopping you guys…” Sigulf sighed. “Oh well, I don’t have any appointments, anyway.”

Minato’s group then proceeded to ask Sigulf for more details, while Alba and Yuu were content with poking and teasing him.

‘…’

Still, Sigulf carefully and discreetly observed Arthfael from the corner of his eyes.

———

The whole school was abuzz with the news out. Even Eliot took some digs at Sigulf during homeroom.

“Congratulations to our lucky lad here. Hopefully you can stay lucky throughout the year and maintain your grades. You’ve painted yourself as a big target, after all.”

‘…I know, but must he brought it up like this?’

On the other hand, he found it a bit funny that his female classmates came to thank him for the news.

“Why did they…?” Sigulf asked Yuu.

“I’m guessing it’s because they have less rivals now?” he tried to explain. “I mean, the school’s top maiden is out of equation.”

“Ah, I see…”

“But, well, it came as quite the relief for some of us too. If you can win the President’s heart, then…”

“…oi, what do you mean by that?”

And when lunch break finally came, the 1st-years met the Council duo on their way out.

“Hey there, boys and girls! Thanks for inviting!” Chelsea greeted.

“Seriously, you are too ecstatic for this…” Celina sighed.

“And you should be too! It’s about you two, you know!”

“Where’s Lindorm and Laine?” Sigulf asked.

“For some reason, they insisted on doing their regular intel duty, so they can’t join us.”

‘…they are being dutiful at the strangest time.’

“Ah-hem!” Chelsea purposefully cleared her throat to grab everyone’s attention. “Without any further delay, let’s celebrate Celina and Sigulf officially going steady! You brought your own lunches, right?”

“””Yeah!”””

“Well then, let’s go~!”

‘Why is she the one leading? I guess that’s just so her…’

Sigulf and Celina looked at each other before sharing a wry laughter. But then again, there’s no denying that both of them do appreciate their friends’ sentiment.

‘This is very nice, actually… Not bad at all.’

15