Prologue: 2117 (Einvígi á Atlantic), part 1
4.5k 10 28
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Atlantic Academy Station. We are arriving at Atlantic Academy Station. Please check—“

Awakened from his nap by the announcement, Sigulf Hrimgard quickly stood up while making sure his relatively light belonging is still intact.

‘Mm. All’s good.’

Done with that, he took a quick glance of his surrounding. Boys and girls around his age, preparing to drop off at the same destination as his.

“We have arrived at the Atlantic Academy Station. Please watch your step. Thank you for using the Ocean Liner, and have a nice day!”

As he steps out, a sudden Atlantic breeze passed by, as if to welcome the young, hopeful duelists-to-be. The air, he noted, is a bit warmer compared to his hometown back on Iceland. Sigulf then quickly moved a bit to secure a safe spot, so that he won’t obstruct the people behind.

“Well, here I am.” He mumbled to himself.

Now with a better look of his surroundings, Sigulf noticed the dome far deep in the middle of island, which is probably the arena itself. Surrounding it are most likely the training facilities, the learning institutes, the residential districts, and the entertainment square, which reaches as far as the station he’s currently in. Along the way, he also noticed the presence of flags, banners, and logos from the sponsors.

“The lightning over the mountains… That’s the… Olympia? The raven and spear over there… Most likely the Bartram Family. Hmm…”

Far in the horizons, he saw what appears to be a small fleet of personal carriers.

‘Probably someone related to the sponsors… Oh, wait, can’t stand here all day. Better get moving.’

Adjusting his shoulder-slung bag, Sigulf walks once more, being amused at what the entertainment square has to offer.

———

Despite its overly simplistic name, Atlantic Academy is the to-go place for aspiring young duelists all over the world. The name itself came after petty disagreements between its multi-national backers; some wanted Valhalla, another wanted Ares’, yet another – despite being Japanese – wanted either Camelot, Avalon, or Logres. Thus, the current name was picked for potentially being more neutral.

The Academy was built on top of an artificial island floating in the North Atlantic Ocean. While there exists other means of transportation, the one that is iconic to this Academy is the ocean-crossing, magitek-powered bullet train; the Ocean Liner.

In this academy, duelists-to-be will be taught and trained on a 5 days a week schedule over the course of 3 years. While graduates are free to decide what to do with their own future, most of talented alumni are usually being scouted by the most prestigious Pro Dueling Clubs of the world.

———

Somewhere along the road between the residential and entertainment areas, Sigulf was sitting alone on bench, munching his crepe; he wasn’t particularly hungry, but all the nice scents from the stalls tempted him to try a bite. Unfortunately, it wasn’t a particularly quiet experience either. Nearby, a group of mobs is gathering for some reason.

“Ooh! I, is that…!?” one of the mob said in disbelief.

“What’s with the commotion?” Sigulf wondered aloud as he trailed the mobs’ point of interest.

There, a girl with bright pink twintails passed by, followed by her bodyguards. The mobs got even more crowded.

“It’s her! The heiress of the Olympia!” one of the guys shouted.

‘Olympia…? Aah, I see. The wealthy family based in Athens.’

“I can’t believe she’s going to be a trainee on the same academy with us!” another shouted with soon followed by a loud cheering.

“You must’ve heard about her skills then, right!? I heard she’s really good with the rapier!” yet another added enthusiastically.

‘Huh? I think I didn’t see her during the exams. Probably scholarship, or special invitation then.’

The girl smiled slightly without replying and keep walking, until—

“Watch out!” an unknown boy’s voice called out.

Bump.

“Kyah!?” The girl fell flat on her bottom.

“Aah, I’m sorry! Are you alright!” the boy, sounds concerned, extended his arms.

The ‘culprit’ looks like… a normal Japanese boy. Though somehow, Sigulf’s instincts refused to think that this boy is ordinary. In any case, the girl seems not to be appreciating the gesture.

“H, how dare you humiliate me like this!”

“Eh…?”

‘Wait, what? So she’s like that, huh.’

“Get away from me! I can stand by myself!”

The boy reluctantly backed away from the furious girl, who then dusts off her skirt. Meanwhile, her bodyguards are standing nearby.

“Hmph! At the very least, you have the dignity to apologize! But, still! I, Eurypha Remi Garnetia Hestianus, will not forget this! Guards! Let’s go!”

As Eurypha stormed off, the mobs began to disperse as well, with most of them grumbling because the Japanese boy ruined their fun.

“E, eh? Why did she get mad?”

“I wonder…” Sigulf chimed in, which surprised the boy a bit.

“Oh, sorry. Didn’t mean to. Anyways, is that yours?” Sigulf pointed to what seems to be a handkerchief, lying on the ground. The boy took a closer look.

“This is… Ah, this must be hers!” the boy picked the handkerchief up. “Thanks for telling me! I’ll return this to her!”

“Oh, yeah sure.”

The boy waved and left Sigulf, running towards the dorm area. Sigulf simply finished his crepe and checked his clock. It’s still nowhere near midday, yet all of this made him a little bit tired. He shrugged and decided to head to the dorm as well.

———

After he got his keys, checked the AC/heater, bathroom, stove, and fridge, Sigulf immediately dived face-first into the bed.

“Aaah… So comfy…” he mumbled. “Maybe I should take a short nap before a bit exploring. What was the curfew again… 7? 8?”

But alas, it’s not even 30 minutes in, and yet there’s another commotion outside.

“Dear Angrboda… Now what?”

Opening his door, a group of boys are seemingly talking about the fuss. Sigulf decided to eavesdrop.

“Wait, so you’re saying Miss Eurypha challenged that dude to a duel!? And it’s not even the official 1st day!”

“That was what I said from the first time, you idiot!”

“Even worse! Apparently that bastard walked in on her changing!”

That last one made Sigulf nearly faceplanted.

‘Wait— How—‘

“Unforgivable! Let’s go cheer on Miss Eurypha then!”

“Yeah! Let’s see her burn him to crisp!”

“How dare he peek on her before us!”

The group soon left for the main square. Meanwhile Sigulf was pondering what to do next.

‘Sounds like a petty quarrel to me. But still… If it’s a true duel, then they are supposed to accept it and go all out, right? Well, if they adhere to Knight’s Code of Honor anyways… Alright, consider this spying for information then.’

With that, Sigulf locks his room and heads outside to join the crowd.

28