Chapter 7, part 6
563 1 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Their lunch was quite lively, partially due to Alba, Chelsea, and Yuu’s teasing, and partially because of Eurypha, Carmen, and Ilma were asking relentlessly for details. Of course, it quickly devolved into the three girls fighting over Minato, while the poor boy was too powerless to stop them.

‘…I began to feel bad for those three.’ Sigulf thought. ‘Is he that shy? Simply uninterested? Something else?’

———

Things got heated up a little during mock duel session. In one way or another, Sigulf has made himself a big target, and his opponent was one of the unfortunate, heartbroken boys.

“Hrimgaaard!!”

“Tch…!”

Sigulf repeatedly evaded the boy’s thrusts, looking for an opportunity.

‘Guess rage could make for a good fuel. But…!’

“Wha—!?”

After a well-timed side-step, Sigulf spun his body and delivered a downward swing. It struck his opponent cleanly and thrashed him away.

“That’s enough! Winner, Sigulf Hrimgard!”

Among the cheering, Sigulf withdrew his True Arms.

‘I can’t lose here…!’

He sent a glance towards Alba and Minato. Both quickly caught his intention.

“Hrimgard-kun…!” Minato sounded quite determined.

“Heheh… That’s more like it.” Alba returned with a grin.

———

Thankfully for Sigulf, it was much calmer in the Council. Just like always, Sigulf assisted Celina and Chelsea, and the meeting went without a hitch.

“Thank you for th— Wait, Chelsea, are you leaving already?”

The girl in question stopped near the door just as Celina called her.

“Um, well, I’d love to have teatime with you two, but I just remembered that I have another appointment, sooo…”

‘…she’s obviously lying.’ Sigulf and Celina thought the same thing.

“Oh! I think I’m running late, so— …hm?”

Something, or rather someone, made Chelsea stop. She then turned around to Sigulf.

“You have a visitor.”

“Eh? Who mi— Master?”

“You…!”

Vigdis suddenly jumped and hugged Sigulf tight close to her chest.

“Waaaaaahhh! Why didn’t you say anything about this!?”

“M, Master, calm down! We’re in the Council room!”

“…eh? Ah…”

Vigdis noticed that Celina was standing nearby, and she hurriedly lets Sigulf go.

“Waaahh!? S, sorry, I didn’t mean to—“

“I, it’s alright, I understand.” Celina reassured with a wry giggle.

Vigdis looked a bit apologetic towards Celina, but she still eyed her own disciple.

“…still, you could’ve at least not leaving me in the dark.”

“Err, sorry, Master. I lost the right moment…”

“Maybe you should have paid better attention?” Victoria suddenly said, popping from behind the wall. “That said, I am curious too.”

“Geh…! It’s the Atlantic Witch!” Vigdis screeched. “Why are you here!?”

“Why thank you for the flattering nickname.” She nonchalantly responded. “As for why, my radar detected such a festive mood coming from the Council, so I’m thinking that maybe we can hold a small celebration.”

‘…what radar? Wait, celebrate?’

Sigulf glanced at Celina, who was slightly surprised as well.

“Would you mind if I join your teatime?” Victoria continued.

“Hey, what a minute! What are you planning with that!?” Vigdis questioned.

“Hmm? Nothing much, merely interested in the juicy details, just like you are.”

“Ugh… That’s…”

Sigulf sighed while Celina let out a bitter laughter.

———

In the end, the two prevented Chelsea’s escape and they had teatime together.

“Fufu… Now, mind if you share us your experience?” Victoria moved closer to Sigulf.

“The details, boy! Don’t left out any single moments!” Vigdis added.

“Celinaaa, save mee…!” Sigulf half-jokingly pleaded.

“A, ahahah… I want to, but I’m a bit preoccupied with all these milk tea…” Celina replied.

“…you don’t mind him acting cutesy like that?” Chelsea pointed out. “That doesn’t suit him at all!”

“…yes, yes, I hear you. Sorry about that…”

Celina merely chuckled at their banter.

———

As if that wasn’t enough, when they met up with Lindorm and Laine along the way, the Estonian demanded the same.

“…again? It’s already the third time today…” Sigulf groaned.

“Hey, hey, we helped you back at the dorm’s corridor, ya know?” Laine retorted. “Or what? Did you eat that much already?”

“Besides, allow us to properly congratulate you two, kinsman.” Lindorm added.

Sigulf and Celina looked at each other.

“Third round?” she asked.

“…third round, I guess.” He relented.

Celina gave a remorseful smile.

“Sorry. Maybe one of these days…”

“I know. It’s not your fault in the first place.” Sigulf assured.

‘…ah well, if today is celebration day, then so be it.’

———

Thankfully for him, the next few days have been better to Sigulf. School life, dueling, and Council responsibilities became more vivid, thanks to Celina’s presence. He even got his wish to have some time together granted, as much as it still made them embarrassed.

“S, so, how does it feel?”

“It’s actually quite calming and comfortable… I, I just have to be less self-conscious…”

The two have the same idea on what they want to try, and so, in the empty Council room, Celina gave Sigulf a lap pillow, all the while gently caressing his silver locks.

‘By the Gods, how can he made such a cute, blissful expression like this…!?’

‘Praise the Rokkr, my heart beats like crazy right now, but I can say that I’m a happy man…!’

It took a while before Celina realized that she can’t have him oversleep on her thighs.

———

All in all, it was all nice and smooth-sailing for Sigulf. Or at least, that’s for the most part.

“…has she left?”

“…seems so.”

School’s rooftop; the to-go place for Sigulf’s group to enjoy lunch. Only this time, it lacked the laid-back mood because of something.

“Still, why would she go out of her way to stalk Sigulf?”

“Aha, worried, aren’t you?”

“I would be lying if I say otherwise.”

“Bad Siggy, made someone heartbroken so hard, she snapped.”

“…I’m pretty sure that’s not even the case.”

Few days after the news of his relationship with Celina got out, Sigulf noticed that a certain girl has been following him around, and only stopped everytime he met the Council duo.

‘According to Lindorm and Laine, she’s from B-class, and a member of Penndreic’s Knight Circle.’ Sigulf thought. ‘Is he related to this?’

“Then what’s her reason?” Alba asked in dissatisfaction.

“Beats me… But if she’s indeed heartbroken, my nose would’ve known since the beginning.” He pointed out.

“Ah, right. Yours can do that…” Celina said, tenderly brushing Sigulf’s nose and made the boy blush.

“Yeah, are you even human?” Chelsea joined and poked it multiple times.

“W, wait! Stop it…!”

“Hee… Good for you, huh? Being surrounded by older beauties.” Alba grinned.

“…that’s my cheek you’re poking.”

“But seriously, then why?”

“…well, there’s only one way to find out.”

———

After school, instead of going back straight to the dorms with Celina and Chelsea, Sigulf took a detour towards the amusement avenue.

‘…’

Just as he predicted, the stalker immediately tailed him without any doubts, seemingly oblivious that he did this on purpose.

‘She avoided Celina and Chelsea everytime… I guess she wanted a fair and just duel, too?’

Sigulf carefully made his move, luring her into the open space near the central park, where Celina, Chelsea, and Alba waits.

‘…alright, this should be good enough.’

He suddenly stopped; so did his stalker.

“…show yourself. I know you’re there.”

There was a short pause before the girl stepped out of the shadow.

‘…’

A girl around the same age as him; her long blonde hair was tied in a low braid, nearly reaching her own hips.

“…impressive. I guess nothing escaped your instinct.” She said. “Since when did you notice?”

“From the beginning, to be honest.”

“Wha—“

Her genuine look of shock actually caught Sigulf off-guard.

“I, impossible! Even though I made sure that—“

‘…wait, seriously? Did she actually think no one would notice?’

“—anyways, enough of this!” the girl continued. “My reason here is not to engage in a pointless conversation!”

“Oh…?”

She went all dramatic and pointed her finger towards Sigulf.

“Sigulf Hrimgard! I, 1st-year B-class’ Carole Delacroix, challenge you to a duel!”

‘Delacroix… So she’s French, just like Sir Fortier. But rather than that…’

“Your reason?”

“Of course, it’s for Pen— !?”

Carole quickly stopped herself and covered her own mouth.

“…what?”

“N, no, forget it! There’s no way I will speak to the enemy!”

‘Suspicious, but…’ he sighed. ‘What’s with this girl?’

“Forget it, indeed. I refuse, then.”

“What!? Why you—“

“I don’t a mind a friendly duel without any reasons. But you aren’t my friend.”

“Ugh…! Well, you’re not wrong, but…!”

“Then state your reasons.”

“W, what difference does it make!?”

“Hmm, maybe no. But I thought you are a knight? Where’s your courtesy?”

“Grrh…! Are you saying you don’t challenge anyone around without valid reasons!?”

Sigulf shrugged.

“Unlike you, I am a free warrior. Wanting to ‘be stronger’ or ‘test my limits’ is probably good enough. That said… Come to think of it, I’ve always been the one on the receiving end since I came to this academy.”

“T, that’s it! Why can’t I challenge you like everyone else!?”

“Because at least I can read their motives. But you…”

Sigulf slightly raised his head and glared at Carole. His icy gaze somewhat unnerved her.

“I can smell that it’s not quite about Celina or me.” He continued. “So… What is it?”

“Kh…!”

Even so, she didn’t falter. Carole clenched her fists and took a step forward.

“You won’t hear me talk unless you best me!”

Silence for a few seconds. He then took a deep breath.

“…deal. That’s good enough.”

“I will not lose…!”

Sigulf hunched and switched into his personal stance, ready to clash against Carole.

‘Can’t be helped… I guess I’ll force out the answer myself…!”

Meanwhile, in their hiding spot, Celina, Chelsea, and Alba watched with a slight amusement.

“Ah, so they are going to fight after all.” Celina pointed out.

“Fufufu, he can’t really deny the temptation of good duels.” Chelsea agreed.

“That Siggy… He just wanted to rile his opponent before actually fighting…” Alba concluded.

10