Chapter 6, part 5
395 2 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Pepijn van Rijn, leader of the knights, stamped his way to Victoria while his subordinates backed off and opened the way.

“Business!?” he snapped. “Don’t you dare feign ignorance with me! It is because of you, a commoner like you! That this academy’s sacred foundation got tarnished!”

“Spare me from that nonsense again.” She quickly retorted. “Frankly, I cannot fathom how the likes of you could delude yourselves for so long, that your old way of thinking is this school’s principle in the first place.”

“It was all there in the contract!!”

“Oh, yes it was. None of them matched the interpretation you wanted to believe.”

Irritated, Victoria snapped her fingers and a hologram appeared on the thin air, presumably showing the aforementioned contract.

“T, this is forgery! This—”

“Nonsense. It was always the same from since the founders agreed and signed upon it. Now tell me, how did ‘teaching knightly honor and martial prowess to our students’ translates into whatever outdated system you are trying to force?”

“It is obviously for the children of nobility and knights! We could care less about the commoners!”

“Which is, again, something you just made up. None of the passages stated something of such.”

Students and knights alike watched silently as the two continued to argue.

“…resuming the duel wouldn’t be a good idea, would it?” Sigulf whispered to Celina.

“Indeed. The chaos would spiral out of control, so it’s better if we restrain ourselves for the time being.”

Evidently their debate hadn’t settled anything. Both Victoria and Pepijn vehemently refused to back down.

“Is there anything else? Any other fabrication you would like to speak? Or you know… If you are that dissatisfied, you can always withdraw your share.” Victoria suggested.

“This is not some godforsaken stock market!!” Pepijn lashed back. “I knew it…! You poor peasants have corrupted this academy to the core!”

“…how could he wholeheartedly believe all that!?” Alba commented in disbelief.

“Unfortunately, some people are like that…” Chelsea answered.

“Enough!” he continued. “There is only one way left to settle this! Victoria Stark, it’s a duel!”

Not giving any reactions at first, Victoria then lets out a sarcastic smile.

“Oh, and this is coming from a man who commanded his legion to attack some students without provocation?”

“Silence! Every commoner here are mere weeds that must be uprooted! You, and every peasant children, are the cause of this problem!”

“Hilarious. But very well. I accept your duel.”

Almost everyone was surprised at her answer.

‘I get to see how the Principal fights…!’ Sigulf thought.

“…ah, there goes my target.” Eliot said.

“There, there. You already did well.” Vigdis playfully pats his head.

“So, what do I get when I win?”

“…excuse me?”

“I asked, ‘What do I get when I win?’. I am not interested on your conditions. The moment you dare to challenge me, Victoria Stark, is the moment your loss has been decided.”

A provocation so blatant and straightforward. Yet, due to Pepijn’s anger, it all worked well.

“C, curse you…!!”

Without even proper rituals, he immediately summoned his True Arms. Like son like father, it was a blunt weapon, only a two-handed hammer instead of a simple mace.

“You godless heathen!! I shall crush you for good!!”

“Godless…” Victoria chuckled, and sounded strangely nostalgic. “Ah, school memories…”

She extends her right hand sideways, the same moment Pepijn already charged at her.

“What the— The duel’s not even authorized yet!” Sigulf pointed out.

“It’s alright, she will be fine.” Celina reassured. “Watch and learn.”

‘…eh!?’

Even if for a split second, Sigulf’s eyes managed to catch a glimpse of it, the moment when mechanical and futuristic fitting gloves materialized on her hands.

“Hmph!”

Slightly hunching, Victoria took a quick step forward and swung her right hand outwards… Effectively slicing through Pepijn’s hammer, much to the students and knights’ shock.

“Arghk…!”

Pepijn hit the ground and unable to get up, clutching his whole body.

“It’s over…” Melanie stated.

“F, Father!!” Karel cried. The other paladins were equally aghast, however none of them dared to approach their reeling Grand Master.

“I have always called this one Blade Breaker, but… Looks like I have to think about a new name.” Victoria chuckled at her own gloves before turning her attention at the nobles. “Anyone else want to try?”

“U, ugh…!”

None could muster their courage to challenge Atlantic’s top-person.

“…well, what do you think, ladies and gentlemen?”

Another set of holographic screens showed up, this time displaying some people who presumably are the board of executives.

“It’s just about time.” A blonde woman holding a cup of tea said. “It’s as if he orchestrated his own fall.”

‘…hmm? Why does she looks—‘

“Ah, it’s Mom.” Celina quipped.

‘Now everything makes sense…!’

Sigulf took a good look at her mother, and indeed she does look almost identical, with her proper bun hairstyle being one difference.

‘She looks less… Cool? And more cold and strict… Although this situation might be the cause…’

“It is unfortunate…” a wise looking older man from another screen added. “Our school does put emphasis on tradition, which is of noble virtues. But alas, it seems that Pepijn and his paladins here have distorted their interpretation wildly…”

“Not to mention, his actions can’t be good for PR and business.” Another man agreed. “Yes, this school started as one institution to teach knightly honor and prowess… To both the nobles and commoners. How did he think his way wouldn’t scare potential sponsors and entrants is beyond me.”

“W, wait…!” Pepijn said, still struggling to get up. “Y, you were watching all this time…!?”

“…why wouldn’t we?”

“You set us up…!!”

“No.” Victoria corrected. “You set and played yourselves.”

“Wha—“

“And that is what baffles me the most. Didn’t you ever consider that someone will record your wrongdoings? Or did you seriously think everyone will be too afraid and let you do as you please? Talk about wishful thinking…”

“Kh…!”

“Well, enough of that. Now, since I have won our duel… Ladies and gents, your judgment?”

“Oust him. No further consideration needed.” Celina’s mother decided.

“Likewise, he has failed on attending his responsibilities.”

“I vote for the same. No complaints here.”

The rest of the board followed suit, unanimously choosing for Pepijn’s ejection.

“Thus, it has been decided. Now, if you will…”

“Ugh… Uuugh… Even though… I just wanted to restore this Academy’s glory…”

A complete loss. Initially reluctant, the paladins finally braved themselves to approach and carry away Pepijn to safety, while Karel can only stood powerlessly.

“T, this can’t be…”

Victoria dematerialized her True Arms before looking to the screen again.

“Ladies and gentlemen… I thank for your time and cooperation.”

“No need to be.” The elder man responded. “Although, I am regretful to see a fellow knight stooped so low… Let this be a lesson for us all, so we don’t repeat the same mistake.”

“Hmph. As long as we stay true to our ideals, then it won’t be a problem. Show people what you can really do, and they will have no other choice but to concede.”

“You never change, Bartram…” another woman responded. “Although, I guess that’s a tried and true method.”

A glance of satisfied smile could be seen on Mrs. Bartram’s lips before she ends her transmission, followed by the rest of the executives.

“And so, young paladins…” Victoria addressed the opposing side. “What are you going to do from now on?”

“You do know what this means, right!?” Roeland snapped back.

“Oh, do not worry. If it’s about funding, then many other families and corporation are more than willing to be new sponsors. If anything, it is more tedious to screen them and decide which one is the best-suited to this Academy’s spirit.”

“Tch…!”

“…and about today’s incident, the evidence is there. From your misguided ideals to unneeded aggression, as well as what your kind did since decades ago, though I guess that’s already an open secret.”

“W, wait! You broadcasted that to the whole world!?”

“…it puzzled me endlessly that your circle underestimated technology so much in this age.” She sighed. “Are you technophobes or something?”

“I… We…”

The Rhine Paladins finally lost their strength and will to fight back, and with Pepijn and Karel in tow, slowly gaited back towards the station.

“Looking at them, it’s kinda sad in a pathetic way.” Vigdis commented.

“True.” Eliot agreed. “They are by no means weak, being more experienced than our students. Yet…”

“Their blind conviction ends up being their own undoing.” Melanie concluded.

All the students get to take a breath of relief after their unexpected defensive combat.

“Good work on holding out, everyone.” Victoria congratulated as she approached everyone. “And my apologies for not being earlier.”

“…did you plan all this?” Vigdis questioned.

“No, of course not. I’m not a seer. I merely adapt and revise according to circumstance.”

“…what?”

‘The fact that she’s not lying makes it scarier…!’ Sigulf thought.

“Well, I’m sure all of you have many questions right now. So, anything else?”

Sigulf and Minato raised their hand at the same time.

“Oh, it’s you two. What is it?”

Both boys are slightly surprised at each other, but continued nonetheless.

“Gakuen-chou, what did you do to him?”

“Ma’am, how could this happened despite— Wait, what? Seriously?”

An awkward silence as everyone gets focused on Minato.

“Eh? Did I say something strange?”

“Mina— Amakawa, you seriously don’t know!? How did you make it this far!?” Eurypha retorted.

“You didn’t teach him in class?” Victoria glanced at Eliot.

“I thought it was a given…” he scratched his head. “Well, anyways, everybody knows that True Arms came from our soul.”

“Right…”

“Normally it won’t break that easily. That’s why it usually disappears after a duel ends. Easily put, it also depends on your mental state.”

“Ah, I see!” Minato said. “And since… Rijn-san? Was rather unstable…”

‘…Rijn-san? This dude is too polite…’ Sigulf mentally pointed out.

“Yes, that’s correct. And there’s a high chance that his own Arms rejected him. …not to mention our Principal is monstrously strong in the first place.”

“H, hee… But wait, does that means it will be impossible to fight again?”

“It’s still possible, but wouldn’t be so easy. Like I said, it depends on your mental state, which means it would also affect your Arms’ recovery. And even then, it wouldn’t take a short while. Considering the last duel’s outcome, though…”

“I see… Thank you for the explanation, Sensei.”

“I can’t believe you…” Eurypha sighed.

“Ugh, s, sorry… I’ll study harder…”

“I guess that’s it about Arms-breaking. As for your question…” Victoria eyed Sigulf just before Laine and Lindorm raised their arms.

“I guess it’s better if we explained it…” she volunteered. “First things first, even as info-gatherers, some things can’t be trespassed. There’s no way we can eavesdrop on them 24/7, including at their own bedroom or bathroom, nuh-uh. That would be a breach of privacy.”

“…you got a point there.” Sigulf responded.

“…though to be fair, it’s still unexpected for us. Yes, we did prevent them from gathering other students. I mean, did you recognize anyone besides the Mushroom Head? It’s just… We never thought they would contact non-students for this…”

“They are getting desperate.” Lindorm added.

“Calling for outside forces, huh?” Alba responded. “So, do we still have to deal again with this?”

“Hopefully not.” Victoria answered. “On one hand, they are not the whole like-minded nobility; just a circle among many. On the other, their circle is among the respected upper echelons, if only for their lineage. With their failure, as well as having evidence and other nobles on our side, surely this will dissuade them.”

“They better be…” SIgulf sighed. “I’d rather focus on autumn’s tournament and the Pacifics.”

“Ah, forward looking, aren’t you? Ufufu…”

“Still, to think they claimed lineage from Charlemagne…” Arthfael murmured, sounding rather upset. “I wonder what would the Holy Emperor said if he saw them. He’s—“

“Verden.”

“Huh?”

Sigulf’s sudden, and serious, utterance caught the students off-guard.

“Pardon me?” Arthfael wanted to make sure.

“The Saxon blood will never forget.”

It took a moment before Arthfael realized what Sigulf meant.

“…oh, I see. Then let’s agree to disagree here.”

Sigulf grinned, albeit not in a sincere and friendly way.

“Too bad. Looks like we can’t really be friends.”

“You two!!” Chelsea suddenly reprimanded and chopped the top of their heads with her bare hands.

“Oww!! W, what was that for!?”

“You’re overacting! What were you thinking, fighting against each other at a time like this!?”

“Err…”

“Kensington-senpai, you don’t understand…” Yuu tried to calm her down.

“Hmm? What is it, then?”

“This is how we men bond. By passionately engaging in rivalry, on the matters of duels and whatnot. Yes, you could even call it… Man’s romance.”

“B, bond? Man’s romance…!?”

Chelsea suddenly went red at her own conclusion and fantasy, making Celina and the others worried as well as a bit scared.

“…what are you trying to say to her?” Sigulf asked.

“According to my observation, stuff like that is the best way to distract her.” Yuu sheepishly answered.

“You…”

10