Chapter 6, part 9
395 4 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Less than half an hour of the Liner’s smooth cruise, Sigulf and Celina finally stepped out into the station.

“This place is…”

“Looks nice, isn’t it? From what I know, this island is run and managed by the Academy committee. Think of it as an island-wide public park.”

“It’s certainly nice. Looks perfect for picnic. It’s just…”

“Hm?”

“It’s much less crowded than I thought.”

“Ahahah… Well, people prefer to spend their day off either on our entertainment square, or go all the way to Europe’s mainland.” Celina laughed wryly. “Not to mention you are not allowed to draw your Arms here.”

“Eh, really? I thought people might practice here.”

“They are worried the landscape might get damaged from the intense training.”

“Oh, that makes sense. But… Then again, we are here to relax in the first place.”

“You’re right.” She smiled. “Then, let’s look for a good place, shall we?”

“Sure!”

———

They decided a spot upon a hill where a large oak tree stood nearby and laid the blanket there.

“And here it is, Celina’s special beef Wellington! Don’t forget to try the asparagus and potato too!”

“Whoa, every one of them looks delicious.”

“Fufu, feel free to help yourself.”

“Well then, I’ll take your offer…”

Taking a piece, Sigulf then cut the food smaller before munching it.

‘Mmm! This is so good! Even the vegetables too! As expected from her!’

Celina’s chuckling made him stop and carefully swallow down the beef.

“What is it?”

“It’s amusing to see you eat happily like that.”

“Ah… That reminds me, I said something similar to you before.”

“Ufufu, you certainly did. I guess both of us gets to be more honest with the help of some good food.”

“Ahaha, can’t really deny that…”

Celina poured some milk tea before offering it.

“Would you care fore some?”

“Oh, sure.”

Sigulf took the cup and slowly drank it.

‘Ahh, this mild sweetness… So calming…’

For a while, Sigulf and Celina enjoyed their early lunch.

‘…hn?’

The combination of good food, warm tea, and gentle breeze, however, was so comforting that he inadvertently yawned.

“…ah, sorry.”

“Oh my, ufufu. Are you sleepy? Then…”

Celina looked for something inside the basket and took out a small cushion.

“You’re well prepared, huh?”

“I thought something like this might happen.” She giggled while handing it over.

“Eh? Is it really alright? I kinda feel bad…”

“No, I don’t mind. Isn’t it one of the points, after all? To relax and get some rest.”

“Well, if you say so… Then excuse me for a short nap…”

“Alright, ufufu. Sleep well.”

As soon as Sigulf lay down though…

“…hm?”

“Eh? Is something wrong? You looked so serious.”

“No, it’s just that I feel like I forgotten something important… Was it an important event?”

“Event? Hmm… I couldn’t think of any international holiday for this day…”

“Yeah, that’s the problem, but I couldn’t shake off the feeling…”

‘What is it anyway? …oh, well.’

His eyes felt heavy, and Sigulf soon drifts into sleep.

———

“…ngh?”

For some reason, Sigulf felt warmer all over, making him slowly stir up from his short slumber.

‘So comfy… How long did I— Eh?’

Something lightly holding him back from waking, so he has to raise his head a bit.

‘What is— Eh!?’

“…mmh.”

Celina, seemingly has fallen asleep as well, unknowingly circled her hand around his waist.

“…!?”

‘What is this situation!? C, calm down, it’s not on purpose…!’

Thankfully, she’s not actually hugging him. Sigulf gently moved her hand away as not to wake Celina up before sitting upright.

“Haah…! This is too much for my heart…!’

He took a glance upon her peaceful sleeping face.

‘…so cute.’

“Nnh… Sigulf…”

‘Ah, she said my name…! What kind—‘

“Focus…”

‘…of course she would dream about training. It’s just so her…’

Even so, Sigulf couldn’t help but to smile.

‘I know that upon entering this island, I smell no danger, but…’

He took off his jacket and laid it upon her as a makeshift blanket.

“You’re too defenseless sometimes, Celina…”

Seeing her snuggling comfortably somehow relieves him.

“…now, what should I do while waiting for her to wake up? Maybe I’ll have some more tea…”

———

“Nnh… Sigulf…?”

“Oh, hey. Good morning. Though it’s way past morning now, I guess…”

Celina slowly rose up, still rubbing her eye.

“My bad, I must have fallen asleep… Even though I’m the one inviting you here…”

“No, it’s alright. You must be tired too.”

“Fufu, I guess so. …hm? Ah, this is—”

“Oh yeah, it’s mine.”

She finally recognized Sigulf’s jacket before handing it back to him.

“…t, thank you.”

“Don’t mention it. So, uhh… Want some tea?”

“Ufufu, yes, please.”

———

Finally finishing all their food, Sigulf and Celina packed up, and rode the train back home to Academy. Along the way, they sat side by side and chatted happily.

“I’m surprised you could finish them all.”

“Ahahah, they were too good, I couldn’t help myself.”

“But I guess it’s a good thing to know. That means it was worth all the effort to make it.”

“Thank you. It definitely is.”

“My pleasure!”

Almost half an hour later, and they made it back safely.

“It’s almost 2,” Sigulf checked his clock. “And we still have the rest of the day, but…”

“I guess it’s the end of our picnic today.”

“Yeah, I suppose so.”

The two shared a chuckle.

“So, um, thank you for today, Celina. It was very nice of you.”

“Oh please, don’t mention it. It was a good motivation and reward for both of us, after all. Either individually or as the Raven Banner.”

“Motivation and reward, huh… I kinda get that.”

“Yes, and…”

Celina hesitated and went slightly red.

“About next time… For the cocoa soup…”

‘Ah, so she’s—‘

“I’m looking forward to it.”

“Sure, leave it to me! …but when?”

“Now that you mentioned it…” Celina said, slightly widening her eyes. “Hmm, I wonder if there’s any— …oh, right. I believe end of the month will be alright.”

“End of this month? What is— …ah. Aah, I see. ‘That’.”

“Ufufu, good that you remember. Exactly, ‘that’.”

Sigulf can only gave out a bitter laugh.

‘Mid-terms…’

“Now that we have set another goal, let us make sure so that we will perform well on the mid-terms. And then…”

“Yeah, it’s cod and cocoa time!”

“Oh, I see you’re having fun. Care if I join?”

“Whoa!?”

Sigulf nearly jumped at the sudden intrusion.

“Wait, Master?”

“Miss Hrimgard!”

“Don’t forget me!”

“…why must I come along?”

It turned out that Vigdis, Melanie, and a reluctant Eliot was waiting for them at the gate.

‘Ack, this is gonna be long…!’ Sigulf thought.

“Heya, Cel! Aaand… Sheesh, where were you, lad? I was looking for you, only to find out you weren’t even at your room!”

“Well, that’s… Yeah, I admit I forgot to contact you, but why didn’t you call?”

“…ah.”

Sigulf and Eliot sighed at the same time.

“W, well, that’s beside the point! Sooo, did you have fun?”

“Err…”

“No matter how you look at it, it’s clear that you two went on a date, right?” Melanie added.

Their teasing made the younger pair blush.

“Hee, so you finally asked her out, huh? Not bad! As long as you don’t forget to train, that is!”

“Um, actually, I was the one who asked him out.”

“”…eh?””

In front of the surprised Vigdis and Melanie, despite her rosy cheeks, Celina managed to keep her poise for some reason.

“I asked him out to celebrate our first outing as the Raven Banner; specifically during the fight against the Rhine Paladins. And… This is just my view, but I believe we did well, so there’s the aspect of reward too.”

“Hmm, I see, I see…” Eliot noted calmly. “Fair enough.”

Despite that, Vigdis was anything but calm; she grabbed Sigulf and shook him out of happiness.

“Sigulf aaaaaaaaaaaa—“

“M, Master!? Calm down!”

“Shush, Viggy. You are making a scene.” Melanie assisted.

“Oops, sorry! I was overcome with happiness, hehehe~”

“So you’re doing it as a way to strengthen your teamwork.” Eliot continued, seemingly ignoring Vigdis and Melanie. “Well, that might work.”

“Boo, boo! You’re not romantic at all!” Vigdis protested.

“…what do you expect me to say?”

Their comical back and forth earned chuckles from Sigulf and Celina.

“Putting that aside… Bartram, the Council’s program for this year is to hold a tag duel tournament as the main event, right?”

Celina was slightly surprised by his question, but she answered nonetheless.

“It is, Sir. Is there any problem?”

“Not at all… I just wanted to ask… Are you really serious about this?”

Another short pause. But this time…

There was no doubt. Her eyes were unwavering.

“Absolutely.”

Satisfied, Eliot lets out a smile.

“Looks like there’s nothing more to be asked.”

“Eh? Eh? What is it?”

“Hmm, I’m guessing he’ll modify class material to accommodate for that.” Melanie tried to explain to a confused Vigdis.

“Ah, I see… Curriculum and other boring stuffs….”

“…I am a teacher. That’s a part of my job.” He sighed in exasperation.

“Oh, so we’ll have more lessons about tag dueling?” Sigulf finally spoke.

“If I can finish it earlier, then maybe. And that’s more the reason for me to go back.”

“Eeeh, already? Elly, you’re not fun…”

“Would you pester your disciple all day long? Come on.”

“Fiiine…”

Vigdis finally conceded, and Sigulf exhaled out of relief.

“Not so fast, young man! Whenever I have the chance, I’m going to ask you every detail!”

“…what detail? I don’t think there’s more to be told…”

“Well then, catch you later, you two!” Melanie said. “Stay safe, and ‘be safe’!”

“…w, what? What’s that supposed to mean?”

“Ah, right, I almost forgot.” Eliot remembered. “Bartram, Hrimgard, one last thing.”

“Yes?”

“Are you sure you two aren’t seeing each other?”

“E, eh!?”

“I thought you aren’t interested in this!?”

“Now, now, don’t be so snappy towards your homeroom teacher.” He dismissed. “See you later in class.”

The old schoolmates finally left, leaving a tired Sigulf and Celina who can only laugh wryly.

“Lively as always…”

“Yeah, seriously…”

Even so, both of them can go home feeling fulfilled.

11