Chapter 6, part 13
414 7 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The first day of midterms has finally arrived. Some students, Sigulf included, got into the class earlier.

“Morning… …wait, what’s with you guys?”

“Uugh…”

Yuu, Walter, and Siegward don’t look particularly energetic.

“I’m guessing they played until up late.” Arthfael sighed.

“Man, why must you bail earlier?” Walter protested.

“To avoid exactly this.”

‘Looks like I made the right call…’ Sigulf thought.

“Seeing Siggy being calm somehow pisses me off.” Alba joined.

“…what’s that supposed to mean? We did study together, so shouldn’t you be the same?”

“Oh, worry not. I’m sure I can handle the test just fine! …well, maybe. Ahahahahahah…”

“…that actually sounds kinda worrying.”

———

A couple of hours later, the class gave their collective sigh of relief when their written exam ends.

‘Well, that went smoother than expected. I have to thank Celina…’ Sigulf thought.

“Phew, it’s finally over…” Alba muttered. “I think I managed it, somehow.”

“Good work, Alba-san, Sig-kun.” Yuu added.

“Oh, hey.” Sigulf responded. “You look confident.”

“Hey, hey, being sleepy won’t really stop me, you know. I am smart, after all.”

“…is that really something you say yourself?”

“Alright, alright, no more talking about the test!” Walter announced. “Let’s go play somewhere!”

“Eh? But I thought we still have duel exams tomorrow?” Minato asked.

“It’ll be fine! A little break won’t hurt!”

“Hmm, but…”

“Fortunately for us,” Eurypha interrupted. “We still have Council duty after this, so no thanks.”

“Wait, seriously? Even during mid-terms?”

“We don’t goof around, duh.”

“Tch, oh well, guess we have to make do. Who’s still with me?”

Sigulf felt there’s no further need to pay attention, so he packed his belongings.

“Alba, Yuu. Catch you later.”

“Huh? Oh, sure. See ya tomorrow!” Alba waved.

“…he’s so eager to see Bartram-senpai.” Yuu snickered.

“Yeah, ridiculously easy to read.”

———

On his way to the Council room, Sigulf caught up with Celina.

“Ah, President. Good… Umm, morning?”

“Oh? Ufufu, good morning. What’s with the formality?”

“Ahahah… Well, I wanted to thank you for the study session.”

“I see it went well for you. Fufu, don’t mention it. But don’t you think it’s a bit too soon? We still have the duel exams tomorrow.”

“Eh, yeah, I guess so. But you did coach us too all this time, so…”

“Confident, aren’t you? Then let the results speak tomorrow.” She smiled.

“Right…!”

———

Due to the midterms, the Council had their work began, and end, earlier. Then again, their to-do list this week was less than normal.

“Sigulf, can you work on this part too?”

“Oh, sure. Leave it to me.”

Sigulf was typing leisurely when someone’s phone suddenly rang.

“Pardon me.” Celina apologized before checking the screen. “…the Principal? Yes, it’s me. …hmm? My mother? …understood.”

“Did something happen?” Chelsea asked with a slight hint of worry.

“Ah, no, it’s alright. Ms. Stark wanted to talk about future plans, with my mother for some reason.”

“Oh, Auntie is there? Should I come along?”

“Thank you, but I think I will be fine.”

“Well, if you say so…”

Celina excused herself, leaving only Sigulf and Chelsea on the room.

“…”

‘Ah, this is rather awkward…’ Sigulf thought.

“Let’s continue while we wait for her return.” Chelsea said.

“Roger that.”

“Oh, but, umm… You don’t mind if we work while we converse, right? There’s… Something I need to talk to you about.”

“…I see. I think that goes for me too.”

“Really? Then, in that case…”

Chelsea took a breath, looking for the right words.

“I don’t like you. Or at least, I don’t like you as much as the others do.”

“Oh…”

“…you don’t seem to be surprised. I guess you have figured it out.”

“Well yeah. It’s… About Celina, right?”

“It is.”

As much as he wanted to focus, Sigulf couldn’t help but feel a bit uncomfortable.

“So, umm, what about it?”

“…what if I told you to give it up?”

“I… Might ask her first. But most likely I’ll refuse.”

“Yeah, I thought so…”

“Let’s just say I could be stubborn too… What’s with the question anyway?”

“Good news for you. She doesn’t hate you, so I lost the heart to stop her.”

Sigulf blinked.

“Oh. Oh, okay, then—“

“So don’t you dare hurt my best friend. That’s the least I could ask.”

If Chelsea’s that serious, then it’s obligatory for him to return the sentiment.

“…I promise, I won’t.”

“Good.” Chelsea finally smiled. “Now with that out of the way, let’s get our focus back.”

“I… Kind of get it, and kind of not…”

“Don’t think too hard about it. You don’t have to like me; you may even hate me if you want. But don’t let it get on her way. Let us both do our best to support her. What do you say?”

“Aah, I see, I see. Well, why not? I’ll help Celina in the best way I can, and I won’t hate you either.”

“Yes, that’s mor— Eeeeh, what!?” she was surprised and had to pause working. “Why? Even though—“

“Err, because it’s a waste? I mean we are Council mates. You are her best friend. And you are a part of our morning practice all this time.”

“That’s… Well, yeah, but it’s not like I’m doing it for you. You do know that, right?”

“I know. I can see where you are coming from. It’s for her sake.”

“Then—“

“It’s more the reason. How am I supposed to hate that?”

“…oh. I get it now. You don’t hate me, but still dislike me all the same! Right?”

“Eh? Not even that. To be honest, I… I’d rather we stay amiable with each other.”

“…”

Chelsea was stunned… and slight redness began to creep on her cheeks.

‘W, what is this guy saying!?’

“T, that came out strange, huh?” Sigulf sounded rather embarrassed. “I dunno how to convey it properly, but I hope you understand.”

“…alright.”

“Hm?”

“It’s fine if I take it as something for Council’s sake, right?”

“Sure, I don’t mind.”

She sighed out of relief and began to pick up the pace once more, but not without stealing some glances towards the white haired boy.

‘I think… I understand a bit now… What Celina saw…’

Chelsea found out it’s hard to dismiss the thought when her cheeks got warmer.

———

Celina returned not long after, and all three finished the day’s work in no time.

“It’s slightly past midday now.” Celina noted. “Should we get some lunch?”

“Oh, are we eating outside? Sure!” Chelsea answered happily. “Ah, but what are we doing after that?”

“Hmm, you’re right… We ended up finishing earlier than usual…”

“Umm, how about we train for a bit?” Sigulf suggested. “As long as we don’t overdo it, we should be fine tomorrow, right?”

“I see someone’s eager.” Celina giggled. “Sure, it should be fine. What about you, Chel?”

“I’m all for it! Should I get Alba?”

“The more the merrier, or so you said.” The blonde teased. “Though, she might be already out there practicing.”

“Hey, hey, what’s that supposed to mean? Oh well, let’s have a lunch first before we train. And Sigulf, you’re sparring with me later!”

“Sur— Wait, what, why?”

“What, are you scared?”

“No, I’m just surprised you offered.”

“…that’s not really an offer, but hey, I’m a good, caring older sister! It’s only natural I look after my cute junior, especially one with a sub-par defending.”

“O, oh, than— Wait, sub-par? That bad?”

“Admittedly, not really. But it could use some work.”

“…well, alright. I’ll be in your care.”

“Then it’s decided! I won’t hold anything back, so prepare yourself!”

“Ahahahah…”

Seeing them talking cordially brought a smile to Celina’s face.

‘Thank goodness… And I’m glad Chelsea looks happier compared to before…’

“Hey, we can’t stand here all day!” Chelsea remembered. “Let’s go, you two! Better grab a seat while we can!”

“”Right…!””

———

The next morning, second part of the mid-terms. All students have gathered inside the duel room behind each respective class.

“En garde…! Begin!”

Sigulf and the others eagerly waiting for their turn to fight.

“Ooh, now I’m getting fired up!” Alba said. “Don’t hold it against me when I beat you, yeah?”

“Oi, that’s my line.”

Just before the 5-minutes mark, the duel ended with a definite victor.

“Ah, it’s over.” Yuu commented. “It’s about time.”

“A round of applause for our combatants!” Eliot gave the cue.

The students complied while the two made their way back.

“Alright, without further ado… Next!”

Eliot started his Randomizer, and his students silently wait with baited breath.

“Come on… Who is it? Who’s next?” Alba muttered.

Beep.

“Eurypha Remi Garnetia Hestianus.” Eliot announced.

Minato and his circle immediately looked at her.

“Versus… Sigulf Hrimgard.”

“Ooh…!” the rest of the class gasped.

‘Against her, huh…’ Sigulf thought.

“Oh, it’s your turn. Do your best, Sig-kun.”

“Yeah.”

“Augh! But I wanted to…!” Alba lamented.

“Fufu, I’m sorry Hunter, but I might overtake you here.” Eurypha said.

“Don’t screw up. Just don’t let your guard down.” Carmen warned, and possibly encouraging her.

“Hmph, you don’t have to tell me that!”

“Don’t worry, you can do it!” Walter cheered.

“Hmph…!”

Before Eliot even prompted them to, Sigulf and Eurypha have already reached the center of the room.

“Truth be told, I would have preferred to face Mina— Amakawa instead. We still have unfinished business, after all.”

“Ah, that one, huh.”

“Yes, that one. However…!”

She slowly raised her hand and pointed at him.

“Whether it’s Amakawa, Hunter, or you… I refuse to stay in the shadows and keep playing second fiddle to any of you!”

The audience instantly cheered at her words.

“…I see. However, I refuse to back down here. You have to fight for it…!”

“Very well! As fellow Council members…!”

“May the best fighter win!”

9