Chapter 7, part 8
286 2 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The next morning…

“Forgive me, Hrimgard…!”

“Eh…?”

“Please allow me to apologize on behalf of my subordinate…”

“Oh, that… It’s not really your fault…”

On the way to class, Arthfael went over to Sigulf and tried to apologize about yesterday’s small incident.

“Even so, the fact that one of our knights acted in such conduct— What’s the matter?”

“Err, well…”

Sigulf glanced behind Arthfael’s shoulder and noticed that Carole popped her head from behind a tree, still looking upset.

“…she is nearby, I presume? I’ll… Talk some sense into her later…”

“Yeah, that’s probably for the better…”

———

That day’s lunch was a bit different. Instead of enjoying a peaceful break like always, Sigulf found himself engaged in a duel against a challenger.

“Tch…!”

Sigulf put a bit more strength as he blocked his opponent’s xiphos. For a C-class, he sure packed quite the power.

“Uoryaa!!”

Another swing coming from the Greek fighter, but this time, Sigulf had enough chance to dodge it. While there are some students who still haven’t gotten over the news of Celina going out with the Icelander, this particular one was much more interested in the potential glory of defeating someone above his own class.

“What’s wrong, Viking!? Are you gonna keep running—”

“You’re wide open…!!”

“Nuoah!?”

He was too busy trying to provoke Sigulf that he got caught off guard by a counterattack. Luckily for him, he raised his aspis in the nick of time and ‘merely’ knocked away without taking any damage.

“Guh…! S, such strength…! But…!”

Being dramatic, he opened his guard and stood defiantly.

“One Germanic barbarian is nothing compared to thousands of Persians my ancestors faced! Today, I will show you the might of Ares’ soldier! THIS! IS! SPARGH…!?”

Sigulf didn’t bother to let him finish and jammed his axes right to the poor Greek’s face.

“You got spirit, but by Loki, you’re loud in an annoying way.”

“Uwaa, how merciless…” Alba commented.

“Battle points 0, cannot continue duel. Winner, Sigulf Hrimgard.”

“Alright, no more challeng—”

“H, Hrimgard! It’s my turn now! I challenge you!”

“…seriously? I haven’t even sniffed my food…”

“Ah, please wait a moment.”

“Eh?”

Celina approached Sigulf and fed him a piece of roast beef, making several boys groan in despair.

“Good luck!” she encouraged.

“U, um, I will…”

“Cel, you are just fanning the flames…” Chelsea sighed.

“E, eh?”

———

Thankfully, the rest of the day went well, and Sigulf helped with the Council duties.

“Well then, see you tomorrow!”

“Mm, take care.”

Celina and Sigulf saw Chelsea off as she left the room.

“She’s in such good spirits…” he noted.

“I think Chelsea’s been attending Alba’s training, giving her drink and all.”

“Ah, I see…”

“Say, do you think they—”

“I guess that depends on Alba herself.”

“Hmm… To think there’s a good chance that our best friends will be our greatest rivals… Ufufu.”

“Haha, you sure are looking forward to that. …wait, best friends?”

“Aren’t you two?”

Sigulf tilted his head, thinking.

“Now that mentioned it… It does feel that way, compared to Yuu. He’s busy with Amakawa’s gang lately.”

“There, there, no need to be sad.” Celina patted his head.

“Hey now, I’m not feeling lonely…” Sigulf jokingly protested.

“So, did you send him to spy on Amakawa and friends?”

Sigulf blinked.

“…why didn’t I think of that?”

“That was in jest.” she laughed.

“Yeah, but… Hmm… Spying for info might be good, considering the upcoming autumn tournament…”

“That’s true, but I’m sure there’s another important event coming before that.”

“Ah, the finals next month, right? And… The Pacifics coming back for a real visit…?”

“That’s correct. I— Well, we do practice together, so I know you are doing fine in regards of dueling. But how about your studies? Has there been anything since the midterms?”

“I’m still doing alright, I think. But yeah, another group study won’t hurt.”

“Fufu, sure. We can talk about it with Chelsea and Alba later.”

———

They continued to enjoy the relaxing afternoon and milk tea, watching some pro duel on the TV along the way.

“Those three are really strong…” Sigulf commented.

“Yes, they are alumni of this academy, and currently among the best duelists in the world.”

“Someday, I will face them—”

Sigulf inadvertently yawned and caught Celina’s attention.

“Oh, are you feeling sleepy?”

“Surprisingly, yeah. Did I really fight that much?”

“You kind of did, you have to be fed in-between.” she giggled. “Well then…”

Celina signalled by gently tapping her own thigh.

“Come over here, Sigulf…”

“O, oh, right…”

While still a bit embarrassed, Sigulf laid down nonetheless. In contrast, Celina was calmer and tenderly brushed his icy white locks.

‘This is nice…’ he thought.

“Thank you for your hard work…”

“Likewise. Even though you’re busy being the president, you still…”

“Ufufu, don’t mention it.”

“…and, umm… I’m sorry.”

“Hmm? What’s the matter?”

“Well, uhh… I did say I wanted to be your strength, but it feels like I end up depending on you, one way or another…”

“Now, what are you saying?” Celina laughed. “If I was against it, then I won’t even let you get close in the first place!”

“A, ahahah… I suppose so…”

‘No joke, she could easily skewer me if she wanted to…!’

“Besides, if you did completely depend on me, I don’t think you would fight that hard every time.”

“Celina…”

“As long as it’s within my capabilities, I don’t mind spoiling you.”

“Thank you… Then—”

Sigulf shifted his position slightly to make himself a bit more comfortable.

“…can I stay like this for a while?”

“Sure, be my guest.” she chuckled. “I’ll wake you up before it gets too dark.”

“Ahahah, I’ll try not to oversleep…”

———

Meanwhile, Carmen and Minato was peeking from the door.

“Oh my, I wanted to report some things, but I guess I can’t just ruin the mood…”

“Hee, even Hrimgard-kun can be like that too…”

“Why are you so surprised?” she chuckled. “Want to give it a try?”

“That doesn’t sou— Eeh…!?”

———

Saturday morning, Sigulf and co. took a short breather after their routine.

“Alright, good work, everyone.” Victoria clapped her hands. “If you keep it up, the Pacifics and finals won’t pose you any problem.”

Sigulf glanced at Celina; she nodded in return. He then looked back at Victoria and raised his hand.

“Um, Ma’am. Excuse me, but may I have a sparring match with you?”

“Oh…?”

Sigulf request surprised almost everyone present.

“Eeeh!? Why would you do that!?” Vigdis protested. “If you wanted to spar, then—”

“Not yet, Vigdis.” Melanie interrupted. “Give it some rest for today.”

“Uuu…”

“…Siggy, are you a masochist?” Alba asked.

“…why did you end up with that conclusion, again?”

“I think I understand your reason,” Victoria said. “But surely you do know how it will turn out?”

“I’m well aware, but even so, I believe I can still learn something.”

“So I thought. Well, let’s see…”

She closed her eyes, giving it a thought for a moment.

“Hmm, while an actual sparring is still too soon for you, I wouldn’t mind giving you a… special exercise.”

“Special…?”

“Oh, and please don’t worry, Miss Celina. I won’t do anything suspicious. Ufufu…”

“Hey! You do know he already has a girlfriend, right!?” Vigdis protested.

“Relax, Miss Hrimgard. At this point, there’s not much I can do.”

“…thank you very much for being so reassuring.” Celina dryly remarked.

“Uhh, so how are we going to practice?” Sigulf asked, trying to steer back the conversation.

“Ah, it’s nothing complicated really. For the first half, you are going to attack while I defend. Then it’s the other way around for the second.”

“Hmm, I kind of get it…”

“Don’t worry, it’s enough for you to measure my strength and speed. I know you can use it as a reference for your image training.”

“Sounds good for me.”

“Alright, rest yourself for a bit more, then we will begin.”

“Yes, Ma’am!”

Sigulf went back to resting and sat on the ground.

“Eeh? So that’s what you wanted?” Vigdis sounded disappointed. “Chee, even though I can do the same…”

“Err, Master…”

“Now, now. Let him do his own thing.” Eliot tried to calm her down.

“Sigulf.” Celina called while approaching him.

“Yes?”

“I know it’s impossible for now, so…”

“Hmm…?”

“I promise you that one day, I will take you to our place and teach you the way of Bartram. So that you can triumph over her.”

“O, oh… Ahaha, thank you, I appreciate the thought…”

7