Chapter 6, part 15
398 3 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

One firm step. A low growl. Water vapor born of cold. Sigulf sudden spike of power definitely didn’t go unnoticed.

‘To think he released Laedingr here…! I have to stop him at all costs…!’

Eurypha immediately took her charging stance, but Sigulf reacted as well by charging straight at her.

‘…!?’

She was forced to lunge earlier, and being imperfect, it got easily knocked back.

“Kh…!”

“Raaahh!”

Sigulf followed with a vertical swing; Eurypha frantically blocked it, and she still got pushed.

‘Y, you’re kidding…! How strong is this guy, really!?’

She had to focus her senses and strength just to defend against his relentless attack.

‘I can’t see an opening…! He’s really pressuring from every direction…!’

Eurypha’s guard started to waver, and one precise horizontal swing opened Sigulf’s way.

“Wha—!?”

“Ryaah!”

He brought down his axe. It was too late for her to sidestep or jump away. However…

‘…I’m not backing down!!’

“Oi, what did she—!?” Walter yelled.

Eurypha forced herself and thrusts her rapier forward, again hitting Sigulf’s midsection.

‘…!?’

Yet while it did manage to stagger him, his Fenrir landed first and blew Eurypha away, reducing Eos’ impact.

“Guah…!”

“Battle points, down by 25%. 15% remaining.”

“Battle points, down by 10%.”

“Aah, it ended up weaker despite all that…!” the American boy panicked.

“Hestianus-san…!” Minato muttered.

“Haah…! Kh…!”

Eurypha breathes heavily as she struggled to stand up, while Sigulf seemingly took his time approaching her.

“…no. Not yet.”

Despite being exhausted and has the lead taken, she pulled her right arm and mustered all she had.

“I still can take you out even without the perfect form!” Eurypha loudly announced.

“I see…”

“Wha—“

Almost everyone, Eurypha included, was surprised hearing Sigulf responded.

“Oh, right. It’s not like he lost his mind everytime he broke the Laedingr.” Alba noted.

“Limiter: Dromi…” he continued. “Release…!!”

“You…!”

Another burst of energy emanated from Sigulf. Fenrir’s aura grew darker and sharper, increasingly resembling a wolf’s mane.

“…I see.” Eurypha narrowed her eyes. “If that’s what you wanted…!”

She has finished charging. All that’s left is to lunge all the way.

“Then don’t blame me when I scored an upset!!”

“Come… Hestianus!!”

Both of them took their steps at the same time.

And in a blink, Sigulf crossed through with his Fenrir spread open, while Eurypha was thrown into the air.

“Battle points, 0. Cannot continue duel.”

“Euryyy!!” Walter shouted in worry as her body hit the ground.

“That’s enough! Winner, Sigulf Hrimgard!” Eliot announced.

Some students were in a mix of cheering and surprise. Few, namely Minato’s group, hurriedly went to Eurypha’s side. Few other were content with discussing about it.

“Uhh, so why did Sig-kun do that again?” Yuu questioned.

“Ah, you know him.” Alba smirked. “He probably wanted to defeat her signature technique. That showoff…”

“Hee…”

“Hestianus-san!” Minato called.

“Eurypha!” Walter followed.

“Ugh…”

Said girl was grunting as she tried to move her body.

“Oi! Are y—“

“Shut up… You’re too loud…”

“But—“

“You idiot…!” she screeched. “It’s not like I’m heavily injured…!”

“Eh…?”

“Magitek. Magical nanomachine barrier. It protected us.”

Walter blinked.

“…ah, now that you mentioned it…”

“You idiot! Pay better attention in class next time!”

Minato, Carmen, and Ilma collectively sighed, partially out of relief.

“Thank goodness you’re alright.” Minato said. “Although…”

“…yeah.”

Sigulf’s approaching footsteps made the group turn their attention.

“Hestianus.” Sigulf called, offering a hand. Eurypha accepted it and helped herself to get up.

“Nice duel.” He continued.

“It was. And congratulations. It’s my loss today.”

A firm handshake between the two. Eurypha noted it was rather surreal, considering his bestial fury from their duel before.

“A round of applause, if you please.”

The students complied before Sigulf, Eurypha, and her group made their way back.

“Good match, Sig-kun.” Yuu greeted.

“Yo. Thanks.”

“That’s more like it.” Alba smugly smirked. “It’s not interesting if you lose here.”

“…you don’t have to tell me that.”

Nonetheless, Sigulf gave them both high fives.

“Good luck, you two.”

“”Yeah!””

“Hrimgard.”

“Hm?”

Sigulf turned to see Masaki and Siegward coming at him.

“You’re strong indeed.” She said. “I can see why you are one of the faculty’s favorites.”

“Eh?”

“…or so he said.”

“…wait, why are you tel— I mean, don’t make up stories like that.” Siegward protested.

“Yeah, yeah, even though you wanted to bring him over to our side.”

“Oh… Thanks, Heidenreich.”

“…do. Not. Thank. Me. I said nothing of the sorts.”

‘Funny guy…’ Sigulf mentally noted.

———

When the bell finally rings, it’s as if the weight on the students’ shoulders were finally released.

“Aaalright! Who’s with me to the karaoke!?” Walter asked the class enthusiastically.

“You sure are so carefree…” Arthfael sighed.

“Why not? We got to leave earlier, so if you want to train again, you still have the time later!” he replied. “Yo, Council team! How— …oh, right? You guys are probably still busy, right?”

“Hm? Yeah, I still have duties—“

“Eh? No, we are free today—“

Sigulf and Minato answered at the same time, making them look at each other.

‘…what was that?’ Sigulf thought.

“Again? Oh well… But, hey, nice to see Amakawa finally joining us!”

Seeing that they have made up their mind, Sigulf went for the door.

“See ya later.” He said to Yuu.

“Oh, sure. See y— Wait, Alba-san?”

Both boys turned around to see the aforementioned girl was packing as well.

“Hm? Oh, yeah, I wanted to rest so I can train later.”

“Eeh? Even though you are the class’ heroine? So diligent…”

“Ahahah, sorry about that…”

She waved at Yuu and Walter’s group before heading out.

“Hey, you!” Alba called Sigulf.

“Huh?”

“Do your Council job properly! …and don’t just flirt with the President all day!”

“I, I won’t…!”

Alba merely cackled as she made the leave.

———

Just like yesterday, the Council doesn’t have too much work on their hand because of the mid-terms.

“Ah, so your class went to karaoke?” Chelsea asked.

“Yeah. Amakawa and the others joined too. I heard they’re off duty today.”

Celina looked remorseful, but Chelsea was quicker to respond.

“You are not going to apologize, are you?”

“…actually I did, but Sigulf himself probably wanted to help in the first place.”

“Ahahah… Well, I don’t mind.”

“You don’t mind, huh…” Chelsea gave them a knowing look, making the boy flustered.

“But, speaking about karaoke, then how about we go there too after this?” she continued.

“Eh? After I declined my classmates?”

“Hey, it’s not like you don’t have a good reason. Besides, as long as we sneak and didn’t get caught, it will be fine!”

“…is that how it works?”

“Sneaking all the way to karaoke is a bit…” Celina laughed bitterly.

“It’s alright! You never went into one, right, Cel?”

“Well, yeah, I’m not too confident with singing…”

“Even though you have such a good voice? Come on, it will be a fun experience!”

“If you say so…”

‘Ah, now I want to see her sing…’ Sigulf wondered.

——–

As soon as they finished today’s papers, the three headed to the door. But just as Sigulf stepped out, his vision suddenly got obstructed. His face bumped into something soft.

“Mgh!?”

“Kyaaah! Congrats, boy! I know you could do it!”

‘This voice…!’

“Mbh, mgh!”

“Miss Vigdis?”

“Oh, hi girls! How are you doing?”

“We are doing fine, thank you.” Celina answered. “It’s just, umm… Could you let him go?”

“Oops, my bad!” she laughed while finally releasing Sigulf.

“Ack… I think I saw Helheim for a moment…” Sigulf retorted.

“Hey, at least it wasn’t Nastrond, right?”

“Uh, yeah… So, why are y— Oh, did Sir Fortier tell you?”

“Yup! Though, he’s supposedly still rather busy.”

“Hee…”

‘Even with all these technology, teachers are still busy I guess…’

“So, are you playing somewhere? I know you just finished mid-terms.”

“Oh, that’s right! We are going to karaoke.” Chelsea mentioned. “Would you mind to join us?”

“I don’t mind, but are you sure it’s okay for an old lady like me to join you youngsters?”

“What are you saying, you are still pretty young!”

“Is that so? I really appreciate it! Ohohohohohoh~”

‘…these two really clicks so well.’ He mentally noted.

“Hmm, maybe I should invite Alba too.”

“Ah, she said she wanted to rest, so…”

“Eh, really?” Chelsea looked a bit disappointed but took out her phone nonetheless. “Maybe I can convince her…”

“Uhh, how?”

“I don’t know… Oh, right. I’m sorry, but can you please go on ahead?”

“It’s to reserve a room, right? Understood.” Celina replied.

“Right, and… Oh, and don’t forget to sneak!”

“Oh, is it some stealth mission? Sounds fun… And scandalous!” Vigdis responded excitedly.

“…do we really have to?”

———

Thankfully, Sigulf, Celina, and Vigdis didn’t run into any of his classmates, though then again, Walter’s group had started earlier.

“I guess this room is big enough for six people.” Vigdis said.

“So, this is the inside of a karaoke room…” Celina looks rather amazed.

‘S, so cute…!’ Sigulf, meanwhile, opted to admire her reaction.

“Okay, who wants to sing? You kids can go first.”

“Eh? But I’m not too familiar with popular songs nowadays…”

“Me neither. I’m not much of a singing guy, anyway.”

“Alright, then Sigulf it is.”

“…how— Fine, just let me pick a song first.”

Vigdis laughed as Sigulf began looking on the interface.

‘They claimed to have a huge database of songs, so let’s see… …oh, shit, they even have this one?’

He made his selection and quickly grabbed a mic.

“Talk about a quick change of mind!” Vigdis cackled.

“Oh, is Sigulf going to sing? Then I can’t miss this.” Celina responded eagerly.

‘Uwaa, now I’m getting nervous…’

His song finally began with some acoustics… Until it suddenly transitioned into heavy, distorted guitars, to which Sigulf shrieked, “AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!”

“You picked a viking black metal song!?” Vigdis nearly faceplanted. “…well, not that strange, coming from you.”

“Oh my… So he likes this kind of music, ufufu.” Celina was somehow amused.

———

After few songs, the door opened, revealing Alba’s figure.

“Alright, where’s the hot dogs!?”

“Hm? Oh, hey, Alba!” Vigdis greeted. “It’s been a while!”

“Miss Vigdis.” She returned it. “It truly is.”

Chelsea then popped up from behind her.

“Heya!”

Sigulf looked at the pair and put things together.

“…so you baited her with food?”

“Hey, eating lots of meat is a good way to rest too!” Alba protested.

“…isn’t it just you?”

“Is it? Anyways, I’m surprised Siggy actually went singing. Is it awful?”

“…how can you automatically assume that?”

“Don’t worry.” Celina assured with sparkly eyes. “It’s powerful!”

“…what?”

“Umm, I’m not sure, but since she likes it, it can’t be that bad, right?” Chelsea tried to conclude.

“Alright, alright, how about you two sit down first?” Vigdis implored. “The room service should be coming anytime soon.”

“Hot dooooogs!” Alba cheered.

“Oi, you’re supposed to sing too.”

Even so, Sigulf couldn’t help but to feel happy. He sat down, watching as the ladies pick another set of songs.

‘This is nice…’

———

In another place and time, the duelists of Pacific have just finished their midterms too.

“Alright! A victory on top of a good fight!” Mei said.

“Mm, I too feel like that I have accomplished well.” Reika nodded. “I can’t wait to test my skills again with Mi, Minato-dono.”

“M, me too! I wonder when we will be able to have a rematch against Minato…” Misha joined.

“…you two sure are smitten with him.”

“S, smitten!? S, surely you jest, Mei-dono!”

The ever silent Anil, meanwhile, was looking around in a slight confusion.

“Hm? What’s the matter?” Mei asked.

“Ashfield?”

“Ah, I think he left much earlier…” Misha answered.

“Tch, seriously that guy… I don’t know what’s going on inside his mind.”

———

Outside, Jack was on his slow walk back to the dorms.

‘Watching number 2 and co. fighting was almost entertaining. Almost. Otherwise, what a pointless and boring test…’

It was then where he overheard two boys from a different class talking to each other.

“Caldwell is really something, yeah?”

“I can’t believe he’s in the B-class with us! Shouldn’t he be an A-ranker at this point?”

‘…’

“Maybe, just maybe, he can actually win against Ashfie— …ah.”

They immediately froze in fear upon seeing Jack.

“Hee… That’s funny. Say it again.”

“W, what…?”

“Say it again.”

“Ugh…!”

They took a step back while Jack approached with his fists clenched.

“…huh? Is that you, Ashfield? What happened?”

“…”

Still furious, Jack turned around and glared at the source of the voice.

‘This guy…’

Even so, Ralf seemed unperturbed by him.

“Hmm, Ralf Caldwell, wasn’t it? Please don’t worry.”

“Ah, Sir Houjou.”

Kouji came into the scene and approached Jack, while keeping his eyes at Ralf.

“I assure you that nothing happened. Right, Jack?”

“…Kouji.”

“Eh? Well, if you say so…”

“I sure hope that is actually the case, Kouji.”

“Ah, well if it isn’t Baker. I hope you are having a good day.”

“Sammy!”

Samantha showed up and backed up Ralf’s side, staring daggers at Kouji.

“And good day to you too. As friends and rivals, surely I can have those words of yours?”

“Of course, nothing to be worried here.”

Seemingly a pleasant exchange, there’s undeniably some tension beneath, which even the mostly oblivious Ralf noticed.

“Those kids…”

Watching from a safe distance, the Pacifics’ new coach can only sigh.

“Talk about dramatic… Can’t they get along? They are supposed to be a team…”

———

Chapter 6 “Blod Eld Daud: Fire Meets Ice, Part 2”, end.

Continued on Chapter 7.

10