Chapter Thirteen: Clouded Perception
74 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Blue energy rippled through the dark clouds hanging above me, accompanied by an unending stream of rumbling thunder. At first, I thought the dragons might have left me somewhere to fend for myself, but as I became more awake, I realized I was on a plush bed and there appeared to be a ceiling of glass of crystal between me and the sky.

This isn’t the palace… I started to drift off again, until the large shape of a black dragon coiled through the sky. I would have recognized those red and violet eyes anywhere. What is that fool doing?! Flying through such a storm should be a death sentence!

I pulled myself from bed but only made it a few steps before I lost my balance and dropped to the floor. My vision swam as I clutched my head. Wherever we were, it couldn’t have been too far from where we had fought the Blighted. Not if it was still night, and I still felt so weakened.

“Mingzh… What are you doing out of bed?” Yahui demanded icily. When I glanced his way, his face was a frigid mask aside from his eyes. Those shone with anger.

“I wanted to figure out where I am, but…nggghh.” I winced, clutching my head again. “It’s as if someone were using my head as a gong…”

Yahui released an agitated sigh. Before I knew what was going on, darkness engulfed me, lifted me off the floor, and dropped me squarely in bed.

“You shouldn’t be taking so long to recover.” Yahui crossed his arms. “As for where we are, we’re at one of my villas in the mountains southwest of the wastelands. The refugees were too frightened of our encounter to continue onward.”

“And why were you flying around in that storm?” I pointed up.

Yahui raised an eyebrow at me. “I’m a user of the dark arts. Umbral storms pose no threat to me.”

I just stared at him for a moment. “A…what storm?”

“Umbral.” Yahui shrugged. “Another thing you have forgotten? Or perhaps an indication that you are indeed from elsewhere… No matter. You need to rest. If the thunder is interfering with your sleep, I will aid you.”

“It isn’t.” I let out a long sigh and looked away from him.

There was an intake of air as if he intended to respond, but instead there was silence aside from the faint rustling of fabric. I peeked in his direction, only to see his tail disappear through a doorway. That suited me just fine.

I closed my eyes and attempted to still my thoughts.

* * *

When I next awoke, it was still dark and storming. This time, however, there was the sound of a guqin. I glanced across the room, finding Yahui floating with his eyes closed. The soothing melody carried a tinge of melancholy with it. Shadows languidly coiled around the dragon and his intricate instrument.

I shifted to stare at the ceiling, my eyelids growing heavy again. Sleep lured me closer…until murderous intent flooded my senses. I scrambled out of bed and called light to me, searching for my attacker.

“Mingzhu?” Yahui questioned quietly.

“You didn’t sense…nggh…” I dropped to one knee, my head spinning. Something was wrong. Much more so than I first thought. If Yahui couldn’t sense such vile intent…

“Sense what?” Yahui strode over and knelt on one knee, placing a hand on my shoulder.

The presence faded briefly, circling around to my left. When the murderous intent flooded my senses yet again, I shoved Yahui out of my way and met the attacker with a longsword of light. The air rippled, to reveal our attacker—and their crazed eyes. Scowling, I shoved back against their blade and made a motion with my free hand, drifting out of their reach. Chains made of prismatic light erupted from the floor, trapping the assassin’s limbs and pulling them taut. I considered quartering him…then took a deep breath and turned to look at the nearby emperor. My expectation was that he would look enraged about the attack. Instead, he looked…concerned.

“What did I say about resting?” Yahui sighed at me, shaking his head. He turned to look at the captured man next, a small frown tugging his lips. “An intruder here… I suppose I should thank you for capturing him, Mingzhu. Rest. I will deal with matters from here.”

When I hesitated, Yahui shot me a firm look over his shoulder before disappearing through a doorway with the prisoner in tow. With him gone, I wandered over to a low table nearby and sniffed a pitcher of clear liquid to confirm it was water. I downed its entire contents before moving back to the bed I had awoken in. My head was still fuzzy, my balance leaving much to be desired.

If I must… Stretching out on the bed, I covered my eyes with one arm and took a few deep breaths. Sweet incense filled my senses, luring me toward sleep. A crack of thunder made me shift my arm slightly to stare out the clear ceiling.

An ‘umbral storm,’ he had called it. Safe for him…and likely quite dangerous for me. A small sigh escaped me as I watched the roiling clouds and rippling energies. It was mesmerizing to watch, even as the continuing rolls of thunder shook our shelter. A deadly sort of beauty.

“Lady Mingzhu?” A voice called called. My eyes snapped open, though I couldnt recall going to sleep. “You must be hungry by now.”

“My head hurts…” I slowly rose to a sitting position. Glancing to the side, I found Shui bowing to me with his hands cupped. “Shui…?”

“His Imperial Majesty sent for me, that I might tend to you.” Shui straightened, a small frown coming to his face while he examined me. “He is teaching his students how best to prize information from your captive.”

“How long have I been asleep?” I shrugged on a robe in hope of staying warm.

“Two days, my lady.” Shui caught me by the arm when I wobbled, his eyes narrowing. “The umbral storm must be keeping you from recovering fully. Once you have eaten, I will advise His Imperial Majesty that we should leave this place.”

“And what of the humans we found?” I permitted Shui to guide me over to a nearby table, at which I carefully took a seat. “How are they faring in this strange weather?”

“Strange…?” Shui’s mouth tugged into a frown, before he tilted his head back to look out the glass ceiling. “My lady is unfamiliar with such storms?” He paused, letting out a small sigh when I nodded once for confirmation. “It is a tale that can wait until we have left this place, and one that is perhaps best left to His Imperial Majesty to explain.”

The was the brief tingle of a presence behind me somewhere before a low voice spoke, “Perhaps so.”

I stilled myself, refraining from drawing a sword, then glanced over my shoulder at Yahui. His expression was passive, at first, until he saw the look I was giving him.

“Kindly do not lurk behind me.” I returned my attention forward when the emperor said nothing. Shui covered an amused smile with his sleeve before shifting to pour three cups of tea.

“Lady Mingzhu should be relocated at once, Your Imperial Majesty.” Shui turned on his knees to bow his head to Yahui, his hands cupped. “I believe the umbral storm and other lingering energies are preventing her from recovering.”

“Is this true?” Yahui glided past Shui, casting me a sideways glance before taking a seat across from me at the table.

“Shui had to assist me in walking this far.” I looked in the direction of the bed, then at the table and sighed. “Something is preventing me from recovering, be in the storm, dark energies, or something else entirely. Though I am intrigued by this place and find it peaceful, it may be best to relocate if your intention was to let me recover.”

“Are you implying that I intended otherwise?” Yahui narrowed his eyes at me, causing Shui to stiffen.

“Your Imperial Majesty…” Shui fell silent when the emperor motioned at him.

“Mingzhu saved us from a divine beast,” Yahui informed the blue-haired dragon, causing the man to frown. “Had she not been with us, my disciples, the humans, and I would have been crushed underfoot by the divine beast while being overrun by Blighted. However, we must consider why the divine beast was willing to listen to Mingzhu.”

“They have never been willing to communicate before…” Shui sat back, his expression pensive.

I remained silent and took a sip of my tea, well aware of Yahui’s piercing gaze upon me. If he was hoping I had answers, he was sorely mistaken.

“Well?” Yahui prompted, reminding me I hadn’t answered his question.

“It was a matter of phrasing.” I gave him an unamused look. “The world doesn’t revolve around me. If something else brought us here—such as you giving our weary mortals a place to rest—then there could be reasons to remain here despite my ‘condition.’“

“At the very least, permit me to escort Lady Mingzhu to the Terraces,” Shui prompted, bowing deeper to Yahui.

“I am not letting her out of my sight. The moment she strays too far from me, the storm will seek to consume her.” Yahui shook his head slowly, then narrowed his eyes at me. “We will leave tomorrow morning. The refugees are still frightened, but now it is due to the storm, not the beasts. Shui, see to it that the refugees are prepared.”

“Your Imperial Majesty…?” Shui hesitated, glancing toward me. “My duty…”

“I will look after her for now.” Yahui gave the other dragon a dangerous glare and left it at that, leaving no room for debate.

Defeated, Shui bowed and took his leave. I studied the grouchy emperor while picking at my breakfast. He’d managed to grow testier while I slept, though I couldn’t quite suss out the cause. He swirled his tea in cup in silence, his expression stormier than the skies above.

“I have a confession,” Yahui spoke slowly, finally raising his gaze to meet mine. “You were right to believe I took you in, protected you, and provided for you because I believe it will be beneficial to me—or, more accurately, because doing otherwise could be detrimental to me and my people.”

“Am I meant to be surprised?” I raised an eyebrow, but he shook his head.

“Mingzhu, you are powerful enough to make a divine beast take notice of your presence. Whoever your family or teachers are, I can’t imagine they would take kindly to someone who chose to let you remain on the street, living in squalor.” Yahui released a pensive sigh, his gaze dropping to his cup. “I am telling you this because you have proven again and again that you mean my people no harm. You deserve…a modicum of honesty and respect in return.”

“A modicum?” I laughed.

“Neither of us can say for certain if your view of darkness and its children will remain as it is now.” Yahui narrowed his eyes at me. “When your memories return, you may be an entirely different person. As such, I choose to exercise caution.”

“Understandable.” I nodded once. “Seeing as you mean no ill will, and aren’t trying to ‘profit’ off ‘harboring’ me, I see no reason to be upset with you. Thank you for your honesty. Now then, what of the Blighted we fought? I seem to remember some manner of artifact…”

“Artifact?” Yahui frowned. “I’m afraid I don’t know what you’re referring to.”

“There was something buried in the ground where we fought the Blighted. They stopped appearing when I broke it.” I shook my head faintly. As experienced as he seemed, I’d assumed Yahui had noticed. Some spiteful part of me considered calling him on his incompetence, but my better judgment won out. “I was hoping to examine it, but I suppose it is too late for us to go back for it.”

“You…are certain.” Yahui folded his arms within his sleeves and sat back, shutting his eyes. “Even in the chaos I should have noticed something so strange. Clearly my training is not as near complete as I believed.”

“One’s training is never ‘complete.’ Not unless you wish to be overcome by your enemies, that is.” I scoffed at him, feeling mildly annoyed. “So long as you have something to live for, you should have reason to train.”

“Are…you lecturing me?” Yahui stared at me in disbelief. Just as I began to second-guess myself, he burst into genuine laughter. “I appreciate your candor! Though I’m concerned about this ‘artifact’ you discovered, you are right that we shouldn’t return to investigate. It is in our best interests to make a swift return to the Terraces. You can fill me in regarding the object during our return trip, as I will be taking the carriage with you. For now, it is best you continue to rest. If the umbral storm is truly the cause of your slow recovery, then you should not exert yourself.”

I let out a small sigh. “You’re right. May I have something to read, at least?”

“Of course.” Yahui nodded, rising gracefully to his feet, a small smile playing on his lips. “I will find something to occupy you.”

Hihi! Sorry about the delay, I've been incredibly busy with work and time got away from me. :(

1