Chapter 16
31 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Reverie - Home Page


The cobblestones flew past under Natalin’s heels as she raced away from the main temple towards the dock. Her mind spun, flitting back and forth just as quickly as her feet. Freedom - a slice of it, anyway. She wouldn’t even have to sneak around under the steward’s nose.

Efren chuckled in the back of her mind. Her steps slowed. What? she thought, almost guiltily.

Oh, nothing. Try and contain yourself, waterlily.

Natalin scowled, panting for breath, but shook her head, earning an odd look from two women passing through the temple’s outer yard. I-I don’t know what you’re talking about, my lord.

So respectful, you are.

His laugh rumbled through the courtyard. Natalin groaned, her eyes fixed on the cobblestones. It’s my duty.

Yes, of course. I’m sure. Now, when you sail for Lohova-

You heard? Natalin did her best not to scream the phrase, flashing through her mind.

Were you expecting me to not? Efren’s tone was carefully measured, but rippled with amusement.

Natalin shook her head again, fixing her eyes on the sight of the water alongside the path ahead. She was close. For the first time, she realized that she didn’t know where they were supposed to meet. Will you be coming? With the Flameweaver, I mean. Conflicting emotions warred for control as she whispered him the thought. His presence was a constant comfort in its own way, even if he was on the overbearing side. But the memory of those horrible golden eyes was too fresh, the feeling of razor-sharp nails against her skin.

Natalin.

I’m just thinking, she shot back, breaking into a jog.

She’s not that scary. Don’t be overdramatic.

I’m not. She’s fine.

His sigh echoed through her skull, tolerant and full-bodied. No, Shiina and I will not accompany you. There are tasks here that need our attention desperately.

Your bottle. She couldn’t quite grab the thought back in time. Efren’s invisible hand slapped against her back, sending her stumbling forward. He laughed again, even harder.

Don’t be jealous. Look sharp, girl. If you need help-

I’ll be fine, Natalin thought sourly. She saw it too - the cluster of figures standing around on the broad, wood-lined dock behind Efren’s temple. Takio stood in the center, his grey hair nearly white in the brilliant sun.

Efren chuckled once more - and then his presence lifted, blurring and fading as he slipped farther and farther away.

The god was the least of her concerns as she hit the dock, slowing back to a walk. The others turned at the sound of her approach. Antiel stood alongside Takio, with a dark-haired man who fixed her with a beady glare and said not a word. And….Natalin sighed. A young woman stood at the Charred’s side, dark-haired and wearing the pale blue cowl of an apprentice seer - not one she recognized. The smile pasted across her face faltered at Natalin’s approach.

Natalin smothered a sigh behind her hand, fighting to keep from rolling her eyes. Takio didn’t look the least bit embarrassed. He shifted, turning to face her. “Oh, good,” he said, offering her a thin smile. “If you’re here, I take it we can be off?”

As though she’d wasted time, Natalin thought, still approaching the cluster. She’d gathered her things as soon as Gerd told her the plan. Ignoring the young man’s protests, she eyed the dock beyond the seer. A boat was tethered there, tugged free of its normal slip.

Natalin ran the numbers over in her head. Herself, and Takio, and his two companions. Four people - the boat that bobbed gently in the water should be large enough to hold them. Barely.

Of course, even if it held all of them, she’d have to be able to move it. Her limbs already ached, worn out from the sparring and the healing she’d worked.

It wasn’t like she was going to give up on her Gerd-approved shot at the outside world, though. Forcing a smile, she gestured towards the craft. “After you.”

Takio grabbed the post of the dock, leaping into the boat without hesitation. His dark-haired companion hesitated, eyeing it with distrust. “Are you sure this will-”

“Get in the damn boat, Kassien,” Takio said, patting the bench beside him. He’d already plopped down against the gunwales, sprawled out and totally at ease.

Kassien paused a moment longer, his lips fluttering as though he was debating arguing, but climbed in cautiously.

“Can you swim?” Natalin said, shooting the Narai a look as she stooped to untie the boat. He’d seemed entirely too reluctant.

“I suppose,” Kassien muttered, looking away.

Antiel chuckled, climbing in rather more confidently. “He’ll be fine.”

“I just don’t want any of you drowning,” Natalin said, pulling the last cord free.

Takio shook his head, leaning back. “Worry less, Tideborn. My vanguard are all capable. You think we’d come all the way out here only to drown?

He laughed. Kassien laughed. Even Antiel snorted, although he had the decency to look away.

Natalin bit her lip hard enough she tasted blood, lowering her face so they couldn’t see the irritation there. It was just a damn question, she thought to herself. Heaven forbid she figure out they were helpless after they left.

But there was a polite, careful smile on her face when she straightened, eyeing the boat. They’d all settled in by then, taking up their respective positions. Takio had inched towards the bow, leaving his companions to fend for themselves. At least they’d left her a spot at the bench in the stern.

Kassien twitched as she planted her foot on the boat’s sidewall, pushing hard. His face was pale, his dark eyes flicking back and forth like he still wasn’t sure about the whole matter. Her smile twisted, turning into something more like a leer. Kicking herself off the ground, she landed in the boat before he could see it.

The bench creaked gently as she settled herself down in the seat, sweeping her half-robe to one side to drape down the wood.

“Don’t we need oars?” Takio said dryly. “Or a sail? I’m no sailor, but-”

“She’s the Tideborn,” Antiel hissed. “Don’t be rude.” He was as white as Kassien, although in his case she suspected it was out of polite horror more than fear. He’d taken the seat closer to her, which she appreciated.

“It was just a question,” Takio said, his voice low. His eyebrows had pulled together, forming an angry wall over his eyes.

“We’ll be just fine, Charred,” Natalin said, bringing her staff around. Antiel and Kassien ducked, letting the wooden rod go over their heads. She sighed, feeling a bit disappointed despite herself.

Takio’s scowl didn’t ease up. “So what are you going to-”

Before he could say another word, she thrust the staff downward, driving the wooden rod into the ocean. In the same breath, she plunged a mental hand down into the well of mana that lay just under her skin.

“Oh,” she heard Takio say, a note of recognition in his tone for the first time. “Right.”

“You godsdamned idiot,” Antiel muttered under his breath.

“What was that?”

She tried her best to tune the both of them out as their argument ignited, carried on by quip after irritated quip. The boat was bigger than the tiny shell she’d ridden around Aramoor - and there were four of them in it. Her friend’s words rang in her ears - there’s no way you’d be able to move something like that in time.

Well, now she had the Charred and two of his companions in her care. Moving the damned boat wasn’t an option anymore. Natalin spread her fingers wider, holding the mental image of her staff closer. It was a pillar, she told herself. A connection between her and the waves. Part of her wanted to just stoop down and thrust her hand in. Gerd had told her no. He’d been quite firm, in fact - no shortcuts.

She had to learn the right way of doing it.

A bead of sweat dripped down the small of her back, passing evidence of the energy she was burning, but she could feel it. The waters around them roiled, shifting. The boat bobbed gently, rocking back and forth. The waves grew, lapping at it gently. They were moving - from more than the kick she’d given them.

Nearly there. She could feel it, the tidal wave of magic that responded to her call. The ocean was Efren’s. There was strength there, when she was surrounded by the waters like this. All she had to do was-

“How long is this going to take, exactly?” she heard Takio mutter under his breath. The words were accompanied by the gentle tipping that told her he’d stood up.

Self-centered ass.

Before she could stop herself, she grabbed at the power building under their keel, twisting hard. The boat lurched, jumping to the side as they rose into the air. White sprayed out from under the boards.

Takio yelped. She heard that much from within her focus. A heartbeat later, the sound of something crashing into water split the quiet. Something, or someone.

Natalin bit back a smile, letting her eyes slide open.

“Master Charred!” Kassien cried, his face going white as he leapt for the side of the boat. Antiel was a second behind him, if a bit more under control.

Takio’s head broke through the water’s surface before either of them could jump in after him. The sound of his spluttering filled the air. The boat rocked as his hand latched onto the sidewall.

Antiel grabbed him by the back of his tunic a second later, hauling the teenager out of the water. He hit the floor hard, rolling to a sitting position.

Natalin flinched. His eyes were fixed on her, orange and narrowed. “Careful,” she said. Gerd would have been proud of the way not even a hint of amusement entered her tone. “It’s unsteady out here on the water. You should keep your seat until we’ve arrived.”

He opened his mouth, ready to argue with her, but before he could say a word she poured her mana into the waves again. The boat lurched for the second time in as many minutes - and this time, he grabbed hold, slapping away Antiel’s hand.

The three Narai were wonderfully, blissfully quiet as they picked up speed, winding their way along the coastline towards the west.

2